• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a lot of discussion that the HDMI is neutered on that sound bar though. It can do DD and DTS over optical, but it can only do PCM over HDMI from what I've read. I was on the cusp of picking up that sound bar for an outdoor setup until I read that problem. Can you confirm if you've experienced the same thing?

I have this sound bar too and it does DTS over HDMI ARC for me.

Lomax

Well after hearing the bad things about the Target version, I decided to hop over to Walmart and grab a BB8 cover... only to find that they are already sold out, everywhere. Wasn't aware the gimmick was such a limited thing.

The Force Awakens was my first Blu Ray. Should I get a Blu Ray drive for my computer or a standalone player? I watch things on my computer these days.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The more I hear the sound effect for the Saber Of Destiny igniting the more it bothers me. Down with BONG. Up with snap-hiss.
Also, I just noticed that Rey has had the same hair style every day of her life. Smh... slightly.

I have this sound bar too and it does DTS over HDMI ARC for me.

See, I think this is part of the problem and confusion. Every time I see someone mention they got it working, they explicitly say they're using HDMI ARC. Everyone who says they can't get it to work isn't using HDMI ARC. I understand the fundamentals of HDMI ARC, but not having a setup that utilizing I'm not familiar with the nuances of using it. I can't/don't want to use HDMI ARC to handle things. I want to simply plug a source into the HDMI input and then have the video go out through the HDMI output. I know on the Vizio sound bar, the HDMI input is also the HDMI port you use for HDMI arc. It's my understanding if I try to plug a HDMI player directly into the input, and then the output goes to the TV, I cannot use DTS. In fact the manual explicitly says you can only use multi-channel PCM in this manner and if you want DTS, you'd have to use optical. I have yet to read anyone not using ARC who got this to work the way I want it to work.

Watching the blu ray for the first time and I'm getting a weird sound issue when Rey runs away from the cantina and into the woods...anybody else getting that? It's like a vibration or rumbling...or some kind of phasing of the audio.

JLynn

I got the Walmart BB-8 Alternate cover. They have dozens of them in addition to a ton of the regular artwork BR combos. The BB-8 cover is a slipcover and is as thick as the regular slip; no cruddy quality packaging.

I was surprised that BB-8 is a flip-out that when opened, revealed illustrations of Finn, Rey, Han Solo, & Poe Damaran on the sands of Jakku. The actual BR case is the same as the regular edition.

Lomax

I got the Walmart BB-8 Alternate cover. They have dozens of them in addition to a ton of the regular artwork BR combos. The BB-8 cover is a slipcover and is as thick as the regular slip; no cruddy quality packaging.

I was surprised that BB-8 is a flip-out that when opened, revealed illustrations of Finn, Rey, Han Solo, & Poe Damaran on the sands of Jakku. The actual BR case is the same as the regular edition.

Thanks for posting this, I just checked online and it looks like my local stores must have gotten another shipment, because it now shows in stock.

JB1981

The documentary was good but kinda disappointing at the same time. Not as in-depth as some of the best stuff has been. Feels a little fluff piecey

GhaleonEB

The documentary was good but kinda disappointing at the same time. Not as in-depth as some of the best stuff has been. Feels a little fluff piecey
I thought the content was fine, I just wanted more of it. They could have gone a lot deeper into the topics they hit, and all but skipped some (saber/prop design, actor interviews, etc).

For such a quick turn home release I was pretty happy with it. But yeah, nothing on LotR, that is still the bar. I enjoyed the documentary material more than the movies.

I loved it, but I absolutely know there is way, way, way more material somewhere. Perhaps they want to save some of it for the future. Special editions, trilogy/Saga sets, future retrospectives, etc..

I think the biggest bummer though is the lack of commentary. Because I know across everyone there's enough people involved with the project with enough things to say to fill dozens of fascinating tracks, let alone 1-3 of them. I mean, string together JJ's MILLION post-release interviews and you probably have enough material already for a full-length commentary, lol

Giolon

The Force Awakens was my first Blu Ray. Should I get a Blu Ray drive for my computer or a standalone player? I watch things on my computer these days.

Buy a standalone player (or a modern gaming console of your choice, note that PS4 doesn't support IR remotes). The Blu-ray situation on computers is a really shitty mire of compatibility problems and poor support. Many discs don't support mouse interaction. New movies often can't be played in commercial software b/c they haven't been updated for the latest DRM yet. There isn't much in the way of good free options (unless you're willing to crack the DRM first). You will save yourself a lot of hassle if you just avoid Blu-ray on computers altogether.

(Edit: I also know that TFA doesn't work in PowerDVD atm, the most popular commercial software out there. My Hobbit EE movies still don't work over a year later)

Buy a standalone player (or a modern gaming console of your choice, note that PS4 doesn't support IR remotes). The Blu-ray situation on computers is a really shitty mire of compatibility problems and poor support. Many discs don't support mouse interaction. New movies often can't be played in commercial software b/c they haven't been updated for the latest DRM yet. There isn't much in the way of good free options (unless you're willing to crack the DRM first). You will save yourself a lot of hassle if you just avoid Blu-ray on computers altogether.

(Edit: I also know that TFA doesn't work in PowerDVD atm, the most popular commercial software out there. My Hobbit EE movies still don't work over a year later)

The real answer is get a PC drive, and rip it with MakeMKV and watch it that way if you want to watch it on a PC.

Target one is a bit disappointing. I was expecting something close to the case used for Interstellar, which has a hard plastic quality.
onwireuser-1421932005-intersteller2.png
Aww well, there is bound to be a 4K release in the future or Trilogy pack in the far future.

Watching it again and the fast pacing of the film kinda bugs me just in the fact that there's not a lot of scene cuts that imply any real passage of time for the characters and so it makes it feel like the movie takes place over like 6 hours or something.

But then again I guess that's not a new thing with Star Wars ie. the whole ESB timeline debate with Luke's training etc.

NateDog

Been watching all the older movies in the last few weeks (OG trilogy then prequels) so I'm looking forward to watching VII with new eyes this Friday.

G_Berry

Banned
I've got money in my PSN wallet right now and could buy this and watch it straight away. $24.99 Australain dollerydoos.

Or, do I wait for the Blu Ray release??

I've got money in my PSN wallet right now and could buy this and watch it straight away. $24.99 Australain dollerydoos.

Or, do I wait for the Blu Ray release??

Bluray was out in JB today. $29 for 2 disc version. They released it early, unlike games, movies don't have embargos here.

The real answer is get a PC drive, and rip it with MakeMKV and watch it that way if you want to watch it on a PC.

One of the easiest ways of bypassing the DRM that I mentioned, but also not something that everyone wants to deal with.

I own the Blu Ray and the Blu Ray Burner is on the way. I went portable since I didn't want to put another sata data and power cable in my desktop and it's nice that I can use it with PC's and Mac's. Also, bought some software that was mentioned on this page. I thought about buying a PS4 for blu ray player capability as well as PS4 exclusives, but I want to wait for the PS4K.

P.S. That whole Disney watch it Anywhere makes digital drm not as bad. Wish everyone did that.

Bog

Junior Ace
For likeness?
1. Hot Toys, but it's almost $300 because it's bundled with Rey.
2. Bandai 1/12-scale snap kit with paint ($20-30, but comes with a great R2-D2)
3. Bandai 1/12-scale snap kit without paint.
4. 6" Black Series, bundled with Rey. (6" in this case just means a 6' character in this line would be 6". In other words, 1/12-scale.)

The Bandai one has a lighter accessory. (and a couple others)

http://postimage.org/

There's also an ArtFx one coming next month.

The Diecast one that comes with the Elite Rey (Disney Store Exclusive) is probably the best bang for the buck.

Woorloog

Banned
Hey, Hosnian Prime isn't a Coruscant clone. It's got trees and water!

Are people figuring this only now? I realized this right away when i saw the film for the first time. Very different feel from the Coruscant right away.

Though i figure Coruscant would have been a bit better target, more emotional investment and connection...

Are people figuring this only now? I realized this right away when i saw the film for the first time. Very different feel from the Coruscant right away.

Though i figure Coruscant would have been a bit better target, more emotional investment and connection...

It would have been a better way to kick off the trilogy, maybe - blow up Coruscant and then move the government to Hosnian Prime. Or maybe they're thinking the reverse - the remnants of the government now retreat to Coruscant? It's going to be interesting, regardless.

The documentary was pretty lame, really. It's interesting in the sense that getting any look behind the scenes at all is going to be inherently fascinating, but this was a pretty troubled production all things considered and the doc doesn't touch upon any of it. I think they mentioned and showed Michael Arndt for three-quarters of a second. And while there may be legal reasons not to get too chatty about Ford's accident, it doesn't even exist in this.

The story of this movie has a lot of ups and downs, and it's a shame they don't want to talk about the difficulties because they pulled it off in the end! I mean, the Phantom Menace doc was much more informative and honest and thorough and at the end they were still stuck with The Phantom Menace.

XAL

It would have been a better way to kick off the trilogy, maybe - blow up Coruscant and then move the government to Hosnian Prime. Or maybe they're thinking the reverse - the remnants of the government now retreat to Coruscant? It's going to be interesting, regardless.

Corusant was seen as a place with too much baggage, being a place of incredible corruption and the seat of the empire literally on top of the ruined jedi temple. I think that's why they moved it, fresh start.

Those ratings and the CHOOSE A SIDE stamps are just awful.
They haven't got much choice but to include the age stamps. Admittedly, pretty much all of the designs for the Blu-Ray have been bad. They even made the steelbook worse here. I'm mainly going with the dark side version because I like Kylo's lightsaber on the spine.

They haven't got much choice but to include the age stamps. Admittedly, pretty much all of the designs for the Blu-Ray have been bad. They even made the steelbook worse here. I'm mainly going with the dark side version because I like Kylo's lightsaber on the spine.

I figured as much, but they still look awful lol. I actually think the base design for those boxes is pretty decent, but the look only works when it's not plastered with badges and stamps. :p

GhaleonEB

The documentary was pretty lame, really. It's interesting in the sense that getting any look behind the scenes at all is going to be inherently fascinating, but this was a pretty troubled production all things considered and the doc doesn't touch upon any of it. I think they mentioned and showed Michael Arndt for three-quarters of a second. And while there may be legal reasons not to get too chatty about Ford's accident, it doesn't even exist in this.

The story of this movie has a lot of ups and downs, and it's a shame they don't want to talk about the difficulties because they pulled it off in the end! I mean, the Phantom Menace doc was much more informative and honest and thorough and at the end they were still stuck with The Phantom Menace.

It really wasn't a troubled production. There were basically three bumps, two of which happened before it really got going - Arndt's exit from screenwriting duties, and the six month production extension. I was surprised about Ford's leg injury not being covered, but otherwise, production went very well from other accounts.

Yeah, "troubled" isn't the right word at all. Those kinds of things can happen a lot, doesn't mean every big film is troubled. It's just part of making a movie.

It really wasn't a troubled production. There were basically three bumps, two of which happened before it really got going - Arndt's exit from screenwriting duties, and the six month production extension. I was surprised about Ford's leg injury not being covered, but otherwise, production went very well from other accounts.

How much would there have been to cover anyway? We already know everything - the Falcon's door came down on his leg, and they were able to shift the order they filmed scenes to put his off towards later in production, with no real budgetary or time issues. Don't think repeating all that would be dreadfully interesting and it's not like they're going to show the incident.

JB1981

Corusant was seen as a place with too much baggage, being a place of incredible corruption and the seat of the empire literally on top of the ruined jedi temple. I think that's why they moved it, fresh start.

Would have been nice if the movie explained some of that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom