• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

I was browsing the Steam Community for SV and found that farm:

E78AC7D202FC429E82EAA856C6B15686E3D9A154

Going by the author comments, he edited the farm.xnb file.

Nohar

So, by all accounts, the game is good. I guess I should cave in and buy it.

Quick question though: will some mods be restricted to Steam? I want to be able to mod it eventually, and I'm not really familiar with the modding community (outside of Skyrim). Also, do the GOG and Steam versions update at the same time? The thing is I'm trying to avoid Steam (reasons not relevant here), so I want to know if I may miss some stuff.

So, by all accounts, the game is good. I guess I should cave in and buy it.

Quick question though: will some mods be restricted to Steam? I want to be able to mod it eventually, and I'm not really familiar with the modding community (outside of Skyrim). Also, do the GOG and Steam versions update at the same time? The thing is I'm trying to avoid Steam (reasons not relevant here), so I want to know if I may miss some stuff.

I think both versions get updated at the same time, and moding so far consists of changing files.

Coffinhal

I started the game a bit earlier. It's a shame it's not available on Mac yet, but I can play with Bootcamp so that's ok.

It is really fun. I love the combinaison of design choices from multiple inspirations to get something that gives you multiple goals, objectives, at short, middle and long term, with the idea that you have the time to achieve them.

The first 2 hours are enough to understand the mechanics and how you need to organize your activities. I didn't know anything about the game and I won't look at wikis or whatever here since there is no game over or death, there is no frustration. Well I was frustrated when it took me 10 minutes to get to sleep when I have no endurance anymore, but now I look at the bottom right corner bar.

Fishing is tricky (I play with a controller) and I bet I didn't met the stronger fishes yet. Days are sometimes too short sometimes too long.

I hope there is a bike or someway to go faster.

The game has a strong potential for handled release, 3DS, Vita, NX, even Smartphone, it has to spread even more.

Arthea

I started the game a bit earlier. It's a shame it's not available on Mac yet, but I can play with Bootcamp so that's ok.

It is really fun. I love the combinaison of design choices from multiple inspirations to get something that gives you multiple goals, objectives, at short, middle and long term, with the idea that you have the time to achieve them.

The first 2 hours are enough to understand the mechanics and how you need to organize your activities. I didn't know anything about the game and I won't look at wikis or whatever here since there is no game over or death, there is no frustration. Well I was frustrated when it took me 10 minutes to get to sleep when I have no endurance anymore, but now I look at the bottom right corner bar.

Fishing is tricky (I play with a controller) and I bet I didn't met the stronger fishes yet. Days are sometimes too short sometimes too long.

I hope there is a bike or someway to go faster.

The game has a strong potential for handled release, 3DS, Vita, NX, even Smartphone, it has to spread even more.

Firstly, make sure you have run switched on in options
Later on you can get a horse (by building a stable) and I strongly advise getting it as fast as possible, it saves a lot of time.

Nohar

So, I needed to sleep. Instead, I didn't go to bed until 4 AM, because Fall was just a couple of days away, and when Fall came I wanted to be sure to plant my fruits/vegetables day one.

... I think this game has a "Just one more turn" effect on me (well, with days instead of turns). This is reaching Civilization's levels of addiction danger.

So, I needed to sleep. Instead, I didn't go to bed until 4 AM, because Fall was just a couple of days away, and when Fall came I wanted to be sure to plant my fruits/vegetables day one.

... I think this game has a "Just one more turn" effect on me (well, with days instead of turns). This is reaching Civilization's levels of addiction danger.

I had to take a break or I couldn't make anything else besides playing Stardew Valley on my free time.

DJKhaled

Yeah it definitely has that Civ one more turn thing. I have put in 40 hours in about 4 days and bought the game for my girlfriend who's probably put about 10 hours in with the last 2 days and she doesn't play videos games at all outside Zombies on COD. This game is just too addicting and good.

DrArchon

OK, so I'm almost done with the community center. Just need a few odds and ends, but the one I'm most curious about is the rabbit's foot that I need for the Wizard's bundle.

I've got some bunnies already, but what I want to know is do I need to do anything extra to get their feet? They drop wool (kinda weird but I'll buy it), but do they really just occasionally drop their feet? That seems super weird to me. Something tells me I can't use my shears on them to get instant feet, so is it really just waiting for one of them to fall off?

Arthea

OK, so I'm almost done with the community center. Just need a few odds and ends, but the one I'm most curious about is the rabbit's foot that I need for the Wizard's bundle.

I've got some bunnies already, but what I want to know is do I need to do anything extra to get their feet? They drop wool (kinda weird but I'll buy it), but do they really just occasionally drop their feet? That seems super weird to me. Something tells me I can't use my shears on them to get instant feet, so is it really just waiting for one of them to fall off?

raise their friendship and pray, I got no rabbit foots for almost two years, after I got like 4 in a short period of time. Yes, they drop it randomly (a regular drop, same as duck feathers), it is believed that higher friendship helps, it probably does.
It is also a random thing selling in a wagon shop, but it has to be really rare as I've never seen one. And also very rare drop from enemies in the desert dungeon (I never got it there either).

DrArchon

raise their friendship and pray, I got no rabbit foots for almost two years, after I got like 4 in a short period of time. Yes, they drop it randomly (a regular drop, same as duck feathers), it is believed that higher friendship helps, it probably does.
It is also a random thing selling in a wagon shop, but it has to be really rare as I've never seen one. And also very rare drop from enemies in the desert dungeon (I never got it there either).

Fantastic. I was lucky enough to get a duck feather for Emily's bundle, and that felt like it took ages.

I'll see if I can't squeeze more rabbits into my coop and hope for the best.

Arthea

Fantastic. I was lucky enough to get a duck feather for Emily's bundle, and that felt like it took ages.

I'll see if I can't squeeze more rabbits into my coop and hope for the best.

yeah, increasing number of rabbits of course increases your chances, that's a good idea and that's what I did too.

Nohar

Decided to add the "More Music" mod, since I found the game to be too "silent" sometimes. It is very soothing to hear Toriel's House theme when it rains. Actually, it led me to name all of my cows after Undertale's goats (ie., spoilers ahoy: Toriel,
Asgore, Asriel and Fritz - hey, he is extended family!)

I'm really enjoying this game. It helps that I don't have to worry about it crashing like Dark Souls 3... I actually need to change several of my PC components, including my motherboard, and I'm not really thrilled about that.

I hope Stardew Valley will get many improvements in the future. It is very nice as it is, but it has the potential to be even better.

Darryl

Banned
I have a slime wandering the outside farm. How did he get there? I didn't hatch one. Do they spawn from Wicked Statues?

Coffinhal

Firstly, make sure you have run switched on in options
Later on you can get a horse (by building a stable) and I strongly advise getting it as fast as possible, it saves a lot of time.

I get it is, I can feel the difference compared to the time when I lost all my energy.

Thanks for the advice for the horse, I need to first work out a business plan because so many things to do and you can get lost (it's NOT Animal Crossing)

Having so much fun with this game, and I never thought it would be the kind of thing thta would grab me.

Currently ending my first winter, I've been mining and fishing and have my farm ready for new crops in Spring. It took me ages to gather the gold for the good sprinklers because there's no way I'm watering everything by hand in year 2!

BTW Linus is the most dignified homeless man I've ever met. ;)

Nohar

Well, that was interesting. Got a little scene with Demetrius and Maru:
Man, talk about an overprotective dad. I didn't even put the move on his daughter, and right off the bat he kinda threatens me to leave her alone. Duuuuuude.

I mean, I would totally try to steal him from Robin if that was an option. He got it all wrong!

Also, Linus needs to become a potential husband. Poor guy desperatly needs some love (and a trim).

Arol

I'm almost done with year 1. I can feel the game becoming a bit mundane already heading into year 2 and beyond if I keep playing.

That being said what are some mods out there that people are using?

Well, that was interesting. Got a little scene with Demetrius and Maru:
Man, talk about an overprotective dad. I didn't even put the move on his daughter, and right off the bat he kinda threatens me to leave her alone. Duuuuuude.

I mean, I would totally try to steal him from Robin if that was an option. He got it all wrong!

Also, Linus needs to become a potential husband. Poor guy desperatly needs some love (and a trim).

Demetrius is
very protective of her. That scene happened to me when I was delivering some mushrooms to his stepson

Arthea

As we talked about it before, the only thing slimes produce is ... slime, logical. but yeah, raising slimes is literally useless, as of slime you only produce more slimes and you already have plenty as they multiply, here is a screenshot of what they produce, when you click on those kinda like flames thingies, you get slime.

Retro

Post-Launch Progress Update:
http://stardewvalley.net/post-launch-progress-update-version-1-1-and-more/

Hello everyone!

First, I’d like to thank you all so much for playing Stardew Valley. The game has been more successful than I ever imagined, and I’m very grateful to everyone for granting me this amazing opportunity. I can’t say it enough– the community that’s formed around this game is incredible… full of kind, talented people who have given Stardew Valley a life of it’s own. It’s really cool. heart

The last couple of months have been pretty wild for me. I released seven patches… with bug fixes, adjustments, and some new content here and there. In addition, I’ve been keeping up with interviews, business stuff, social media platforms, and helping people who are having issues with the game. In short, I’ve been extremely busy.

Toward the end of April the launch buzz had cooled off enough that I could afford to take a short break. It’s been nice… I’ve actually played some other games for the first time in a long while, which was fun (Final Fantasy IX, Factorio, Age Of Empires II) . I feel refreshed, and I’m ready to get back to work!

First, here is a list of what’s planned for the future of Stardew Valley:

• Version 1.1 — A substantial content update
  • Co-op Multiplayer
  • Localizing for non-english regions
  • Mac/Linux Ports
  • Console Ports
  • Merchandise
Now, there’s obviously a huge amount of work involved to achieve all this… and I am just one person. I know in the past I’ve been very adamant about doing everything myself… and I still am, when it comes to game design and content. However, I’ve decided to seek outside help for some of the more technical things listed above. More specifically, I’ve accepted an offer from Chucklefish in which they will handle the porting, localization, and the technical side of multiplayer. This will allow me to focus on creating new game content for version 1.1, which I will continue to do entirely on my own.

This should result in faster overall development and reduced workload for me, while preserving my artistic control over Stardew Valley. I think it will be beneficial for everyone.

There’s no official timetable for any of this yet… Mainly I just want to let you all know that multiplayer, porting and localization are actively being worked on.

In the meantime, I’d like to give a little rundown of some things I’m planning for version 1.1:

• More late-game content
  • New farm buildings
  • New crops
  • New artisan goods
  • New advanced farming/producing mechanics
  • Shane and Emily will be marriage candidates. They will also have more events and dialogue as a result.
  • More marriage content for all spouses
  • More events for the non-marriage NPC’s
  • Improvements/Additions to mining and combat
  • Ability to move buildings and other convenience features
  • More bug fixes
  • More secrets
  • More small, fun touches to the world
(note: anything in this list is subject to change)

Well, that’s all for now. Again, thanks for all your support and thanks for reading!

-ConcernedApe

Arol

I'm glad he's supporting it with more late game content.

Although it really feels like the only way to make the most amount of money is thru a pseudo winery.

I hope he adds more festivals eventually as well, especially to get more interactions with the villagers/town.

Edit: I guess what I feel is the game needs more money sinks as well at a certain point and you're making a ridiculous amount of money.

Arthea

I think I'm done with Stardew Valley, if 200 hours and 5 years in game is not enough to get all artifacts (I still need 4), it's not possible, at least not for me and not for the lack of trying:

I had fun with the game until I was just playing it, for first 100 hours, but the museum collection is another matter entirely, the longer I play, the less artifacts I get, not sure is it intentional, but it really seems so.
I kinda wish I haven't even tried to 100% it, but then again when I started I had no idea how rare some artifacts are.

My greenhouse, orchard and vinery (only part of vinery is in the pic)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Just made it to year 3. I have all four candles lit on the shrine but no statue of perfection. Haven't found much on how you actually get it. Some are saying it's a bug. Anything I can do with the save file?

Arthea

Just made it to year 3. I have all four candles lit on the shrine but no statue of perfection. Haven't found much on how you actually get it. Some are saying it's a bug. Anything I can do with the save file?

you get it after "talking" with your grandpa about your accomplishments

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I had that cutscene. Now when I go up to the shrine nothing happens. Just says "grandpa's shrine".

Zyzyxxz

My greenhouse, orchard and vinery (only part of vinery is in the pic)

Shit I didn't know you could place sprinklers on the side.... why didn't I think of that earlier?!!!

I have a greenhouse full of ancient fruit plants but with that trick I can plant more!

Igo

How long does it take until animals start producing the Large variant of eggs/milk. Would it be faster just to check the Travelling Cart and buy the items to complete the greenhouse bundle instead?

How long does it take until animals start producing the Large variant of eggs/milk. Would it be faster just to check the Travelling Cart and buy the items to complete the greenhouse bundle instead?

I did it. I think the Animals need to have the hearts almost maxed or maxed to produce them.

Got this during the sale and haven't been able to put it down. This game is just so damn good that I'm already craving a sequel even though I only just hit my first winter. Feel I may have broken the game a little since I've already got over 100 floors down in the mines so my farm is loaded with quality sprinklers ready for the next season, not to mention I unlocked the iridium ones and should soon start finding that soon I figure.

Year 2 should be smooth sailing with massive profits while giving me the time to get the remaining upgrades and try filling the community centre.

I just know there's a ton of stuff I haven't even seen yet though which is gonna keep me busy, but I wish there was a hard mode or something since I kinda feel like I got 4oo far along too fast.

Jeff6851

I love this game so much. Really my only complaint is that the townsfolk (really, this is a complaint about all games like this) don't have very much variety in what they say. I know it would take a lot of creativity and writing but I just wish there were a game like this where it seems like the villagers are always saying something new or there's always an event (like the heart events) waiting to happen.

Also, I really need more than one sprinkler.

Dmax3901

So I bought this at last. Really enjoying it, but I kinda feel like I need some direction. It's all quite overwhelming to begin with and I have very little money. Any tips as to what to work towards first? What will make things easier?

Retro

So I bought this at last. Really enjoying it, but I kinda feel like I need some direction. It's all quite overwhelming to begin with and I have very little money. Any tips as to what to work towards first? What will make things easier?

I think that's one of the best parts, honestly; you're a city kid learning how to farm with zero experience, so your journey through the game mirrors your avatar. There's something to be said for the "ah ha, so that's how it works" moments, which for a game about performing chores on a farm, is where the excitement lies (it's also similar to how Harvest Moon works).

My advice; don't rush, enjoy finding things out. You'll eventually get to the point where money stops being a problem just by virtue of progress; you start off with a little garden patch which pays for your summer field which pays for your autumn expansion which covers you through the winter so you can hit the mines and start making stuff like sprinklers, auto-feed barns or upgraded tools so that when Spring Year 2 arrives, you can hit the ground running with automated fields and the like. If you haven't played a Harvest Moon-style game before, the best advice I can give is "Relax and enjoy it."

As a general piece of advice, check the TV''s weather channel for rainy days and hit up the mines when nature does the watering, as that will expedite tool upgrades (which you should also do on rainy days) that let you work smarter, not harder.

Top Bottom