• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

Branson

Is there an "end" to this game or any time limit as to when to get your farm to certain point? Or can you just relax and take your time learning stuff.

Dmax3901

I think that's one of the best parts, honestly; you're a city kid learning how to farm with zero experience, so your journey through the game mirrors your avatar. There's something to be said for the "ah ha, so that's how it works" moments, which for a game about performing chores on a farm, is where the excitement lies (it's also similar to how Harvest Moon works).

My advice; don't rush, enjoy finding things out. You'll eventually get to the point where money stops being a problem just by virtue of progress; you start off with a little garden patch which pays for your summer field which pays for your autumn expansion which covers you through the winter so you can hit the mines and start making stuff like sprinklers, auto-feed barns or upgraded tools so that when Spring Year 2 arrives, you can hit the ground running with automated fields and the like. If you haven't played a Harvest Moon-style game before, the best advice I can give is "Relax and enjoy it."

As a general piece of advice, check the TV''s weather channel for rainy days and hit up the mines when nature does the watering, as that will expedite tool upgrades (which you should also do on rainy days) that let you work smarter, not harder.

Good stuff, thanks :)

Retro

Is there an "end" to this game or any time limit as to when to get your farm to certain point? Or can you just relax and take your time learning stuff.

Kinda. Mild Spoilers:
On the first day of the third year your grandpa's spirit evaluates your progress, but you can keep playing and give him a diamond to get re-evaluated,

Good stuff, thanks :)

No problem. There's no real wrong way to play a Harvest Moon-type game like this, if you want to just make a cool-looking farm, make a ton of friends, catch all the fish, become a millionaire selling wine, spend your days exploring the mines or just quietly tend to a little plot, it's your call.

Giever

Does this game have an end? Is there a point at which the game just cuts to credits, or is it a sandbox that just keeps going until you feel satisfied?

Someone just asked that and the post immediately above you answers it. I guess they didn't say whether there are credits or not, but still.

Ohmbrew

I also just bought this game during the sale and I have to say, I'm absolutely loving it!

I feel like I'm progressing slowly, but I still love it. So much to do, and adding features to the farm feels rewarding.

Cronen

How is the Mac version? Thinking about buying this so that I can play it on the go. Cloud saves also mean I can then continue on my Windows machine if I want to as well.

Hi everyone. Anyone knows when to expect the MAC version on GOG?

He said it could be releasing in a couple of days, guess until the end of the week the GoG page will be updated.

How is the Mac version? Thinking about buying this so that I can play it on the go. Cloud saves also mean I can then continue on my Windows machine if I want to as well.

The game runs well on old and weak PC it must run well on Mac.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
My neighbor, doing Stardew RL style...complete with coop!

DXusF1l.jpg

Nohar

Just in case some of you may have missed it, Concerned Ape posted September 9th a quick update about the 1.1 progress. Still no release date though, but that was expected.

When starting a new character in version 1.1, you’ll be able to choose from five different farm maps (including the original map). Each map is based on a different skill, and includes unique gameplay opportunities that correspond to that skill. Here’s a rundown:

Riverlands (fishing) — Lots of water, and fishing is actually viable, unlike the other farm maps. It also looks really nice!

1_1_screenshot2-768x480.png

Forest (foraging) — Forage items spawn on the west edge of the map, as well as renewable stumps. There is also a unique type of weed that spawns on the farm.

1_1_screenshot3_4-768x480.png

Hill-top (mining) — Lots of cliffs. There is a mining area to the southwest where ores and unique geode-bearing stones will spawn.

1_1_screenshot3_7-768x480.png

Wilderness (combat) — Plenty of farming space, but monsters come out at night.

1_1_screenshot4_1-768x480.png

Everything else in the patch should seamlessly integrate into your existing save files, but to play the new maps you’ll have to start a new character.

There’s a few more things I need to finish for the update, but it should be ready soon.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Can't wait for the console version. After a lot of years my dream to play a Harvest Moon-like game on the new consoles(Xbox360/XboxOne) will finally come true.

finalflame

Can't wait for the console version. After a lot of years my dream to play a Harvest Moon-like game on the new consoles(Xbox360/XboxOne) will finally come true.
I'm interested to see if controls/UI will be refined from the controller support on the PC version.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
does anyone know if the save file transfers from OS X to Windows?

i'm considering starting this up on my macbook but only if i can transfer the save to my PC when i build it

ShadowOwl

Just in case some of you may have missed it, Concerned Ape posted September 9th a quick update about the 1.1 progress. Still no release date though, but that was expected.
Well, we've got a very rough release date: early November.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAYJe_WYZ14

does anyone know if the save file transfers from OS X to Windows?

i'm considering starting this up on my macbook but only if i can transfer the save to my PC when i build it
Saves are cross platform compatible. Steam Cloud is also cross platform in this case. Tested Windows and Linux builds only though.

I've played this months ago but because of the Dark Souls 3 release, kinda forgot about it. Only made it through summer, year 1.

Picked it up again yesterday and I totally forgot what a masterpiece this is. Totally addicting too, times flies by so fast.

I've been making some changes also. Playing as a girl and choose Sam as my love target. Been making more progress than my first run.
Can't wait for work to be ended today so I can back in again.

Nohar

I'm getting goosebumps. Come on ConcernedApe, stop teasing us D:

I stopped playing midway year 2, because I was anticipating that patch. I want to begin anew with all the new good stuff (and finally romance Sebastian or Emily now that she is available).

Still, I wonder if some new farming areas will be that good for farming and livestock farming, especially when taking the reduced area available into consideration (the one with hills in particular makes me uncertain).

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm getting goosebumps. Come on ConcernedApe, stop teasing us D:

I stopped playing midway year 2, because I was anticipating that patch. I want to begin anew with all the new good stuff (and finally romance Sebastian or Emily now that she is available).

Still, I wonder if some new farming areas will be that good for farming and livestock farming, especially when taking the reduced area available into consideration (the one with hills in particular makes me uncertain).

That's the compromise for choosing an area with Mining, Foraging, Fishing or Combat advantages instead of the standard Farming area.

Nohar

That's the compromise for choosing an area with Mining, Foraging, Fishing or Combat advantages instead of the standard Farming area.

I know that. I'm just kinda afraid that the cons will outweight the pros, especially when you take into consideration that farming makes much more money than everything else in the long run (that being said, Fishing is a pretty solid source of income early on).

TheKeyPit

Banned
I know that. I'm just kinda afraid that the cons will outweight the pros, especially when you take into consideration that farming makes much more money than everything else in the long run (that being said, Fishing is a pretty solid source of income early on).

How much space did you use for farming in your game? If you are like me and you've only used approximately 15-20% of the whole farm, you will appreciate the different areas. I'll personally choose the Fishing farm, because I like the fishing in this game and the area that should be left for farming will be enough for me.

Nohar

How much space did you use for farming in your game? If you are like me and you've only used approximately 15-20% of the whole farm, you will appreciate the different areas. I'll personally choose the Fishing farm, because I like the fishing in this game and the area that should be left for farming will be enough for me.

Well, I definitly use much more than 15-20% here. The areas for my forage are pretty big, since I have all farming animal buildings, and I have quite big farming lands.

Nohar

Haven't played this in months!

Missed much?

1.1 patch will be released soon (well, unless new bugs arise that ConcernedApe didn't foresee, pushing back the release to a "not so soon" date), and people can't wait for it to be finally available.

Hyoukokun

1.1 beta patch is out. Usual caveats apply - this is a beta, things could blow up.

I had to tear myself away from reading the changelog. It sounds like this is a REALLY substantial content update (particularly post-game stuff), above and beyond the new marriage candidates.

Fitz

Been waiting for this update, going to go all out on fine Wines, Beer and Mead. Also probably going for the Forest farm, was planning on the Wilderness variant but trading farm size for night-time Bat and Golem spawns doesn't seem worth it.

Retro

Good bye real life!

Autumn feels like the right time of year for these games to me, and the only explanation I have is that I played the original Harvest Moon largely during the fall season. Something about the weather getting colder and actual farmers bringing the harvest in just makes me want to come back to the genre.

Which is a long way of saying this update couldn't be more perfectly timed and I'll be right there with you getting sucked back into Stardew.

Autumn feels like the right time of year for these games to me, and the only explanation I have is that I played the original Harvest Moon largely during the fall season. Something about the weather getting colder and actual farmers bringing the harvest in just makes me want to come back to the genre.

Which is a long way of saying this update couldn't be more perfectly timed and I'll be right there with you getting sucked back into Stardew.

I'm thinking in starting it from zero but I'm not sure in which type of farm to choose.

Retro

I'm thinking in starting it from zero but I'm not sure in which type of farm to choose.

I ended up blowing through the combat, mining, foraging and crafting elements fairly easily, but I kind of put off fishing until the very end. I think I might go with the Riverlands farm just so it's super convenient; the only other one that I'm considering is the Forest one just because having access to more wood would speed up some of the building. That's a little too min/max-y for my tastes though, especially for a game like Stardew that I just want to mellow out and relax in.

I'll probably look at the maps for all the farms and pick the one that looks most interesting to build in.

Can't wait for Monday. Going to start a brand new save and experience everything fresh.

One slightly worrying thing I keep doing: in my two playthroughs so far, I've been convinced I'll marry Leah. At the last minute, I change my mind and pursue a different bachelorette. I keep toying with the poor woman's heart, what is wrong with me?!

I ended up blowing through the combat, mining, foraging and crafting elements fairly easily, but I kind of put off fishing until the very end. I think I might go with the Riverlands farm just so it's super convenient; the only other one that I'm considering is the Forest one just because having access to more wood would speed up some of the building. That's a little too min/max-y for my tastes though, especially for a game like Stardew that I just want to mellow out and relax in.

I'll probably look at the maps for all the farms and pick the one that looks most interesting to build in.

I was thinking about Foraging

Top Bottom