• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

Any update on controller usage optimizations on PC?
I think I read somewhere that controller optimization on PC won't happen until the console versions are close to reality. They have to work around controllers for those and probably until they figure those out they'll bring optimization to the PC version.

I for one have been waiting for a better follow up to HM64 on a console since that game came out and now continue to wait for SV's PS4 port.

Retro

I was thinking about Foraging

I'm leaning towards that too, since the Riverlands map has all those islands you can't reach or build on. Seems like farming space is going to be pretty minimal there, which is still something I want to do. I can always go fishing in other places but farming has to take place on the farm (strangely enough).

TheKeyPit

Banned
I think I read somewhere that controller optimization on PC won't happen until the console versions are close to reality. They have to work around controllers for those and probably until they figure those out they'll bring optimization to the PC version.

I for one have been waiting for a better follow up to HM64 on a console since that game came out and now continue to wait for SV's PS4 port.

You and me. I've been waiting for such a game on consoles since HM:BtN on PS1. At the end of this year, this wait will finally be over.

Stardew Valley Update 1.1 is live on Steam. 17.7 MB update.

No changelog posted yet, but I'm assuming it's the same as the beta one. I've bolded some particularly noteworthy parts.

v1.1 changelog:

New Features

• Shane and Emily are now available to marry. They each have new events, music, and more!
  • Spouses now have a unique outdoor area and behavior on the farm.
  • You can now choose from 5 different farm maps at character creation. Each map is focused on a different skill area. [Lurker Edit: See this post for some pics of the different farms.]
    • Standard Farm - The original Stardew Valley farm.
    • Riverland Farm - Lots of water, good for fishing.
    • Forest Farm - Foraging opportunities and a unique weed that always drops mixed seeds.
    • Hill-top Farm - Has a small mineral deposit from which ores spawn, including a unique geode-bearing ore.
    • Wilderness Farm - Bats and Golems spawn at night.
  • "Shed" building... An empty room that can be decorated, filled with kegs, etc.
  • "Mill" building... Can be used to turn wheat into flour and beets into sugar overnight.
  • A new quest that can be started after the Community Center or JojaMart quest arc is complete. The new quest results in a new "magical construction" feature available from the Wizard's Tower. The new quest is triggered when you enter the Railroad area.
  • Added several new locations that are related to the above quest. "Junimo Hut" building (Magical Construction). Junimos will harvest crops within a certain distance of the hut, instantly transporting the harvest back to the hut for you to gather at your convenience.
  • "Earth Obelisk" building (Magical Construction). A permanent warp totem to the mountains.
  • "Water Obelisk" building (Magical Construction). A permanent warp totem to the beach.
  • "Gold Clock" building (Magical Construction). Prevents weeds from spawning and fences from decaying on your farm.
  • You can now move your buildings via Robin's construction menu.
  • New house upgrade from Robin that adds a cellar to your house and teaches you the "cask" crafting recipe. In the cellar, you can use Casks to age cheese and alcohol, increasing their quality.
  • "Iridium-star" level quality is now attainable for aged goods and fruit. (2x value)
  • NPC's now appreciate quality level in gifts, but it only has an effect on gifts they "like" or "love".
  • Added Coffee, a spring/summer crop, and Coffee Bean. The bean acts as the produce and the seed, similar to sunflowers.
  • 5 Coffee beans can be added to a Keg to make coffee.
  • Honey can be placed in a keg to make mead.
  • Void eggs can be placed in mayonnaise machines to make void mayonnaise.
  • 2 new fish, "Void Salmon" and "Slimejack"
  • You can now choose to color your chests with one of 20 color options.
  • Evil Shrines, where you can make offerings in exchange for dark magic.
  • Divorce. You can file from a little book in mayor's house.
  • You can now wallpaper the little hallways in your upgraded house.
  • When you beat Journey Of The Prairie King, you can now start over in a harder mode, keeping your upgrades and coins.
  • 2 new "Lost Books"
  • Krobus now sells a "Return Scepter"... a tool which acts as a permanent warp totem to the farm.
  • Giving someone a gift on their birthday will never make your spouse jealous.
  • Pierre now sells a "Catalogue" furniture item that can be used for unlimited free access to all wallpapers and floors.
  • Robin now sells a "Furniture Catalogue" furniture item that can be used for unlimited free access to nearly all furnitures.

Bug Fixes

• Wild plums are now labeled as fruit.
  • Grandpa's Shrine should now always properly give the reward for reaching 4 candles.
  • Fixed issue where gathering an item with the "botanist" profession would fail if the inventory was full, even though the gold-level item was present in the inventory.
  • Slime charmer ring should now protect against giant slimes
  • You can no longer tap a stump
  • Fixed Joja Warehouse graphic issue in winter
  • "Check action"-mapped keys should now work to attach bait to a rod.
  • Rain ambient sound should no longer play in Sandy's Oasis under any conditions.
  • Your baby should now be properly born, even if you pass out in the mines on the eve of the birth.
  • Moonlight Jellies engagement crash
  • Galaxy sword should now be truly unloseable
  • You can no longer lose hay to a hopper because you have no silo.
  • You can no longer plant fruit trees off the farm.
  • Typo fixes
Changelogs don't get much better than this.

Retro

Will I miss out on a lot if I continue my 5 hour in save, or should I restart?

Only thing you'll miss out on are the new farm types, and none of them seem interesting enough to start over unless you want to experience the game all over again. Space to farm is definitely lacking, which is the idea I guess, but there's barely any room for barns and such on a lot of them.

Otherwise, everything else new is available to you.

Nohar

Only thing you'll miss out on are the new farm types, and none of them seem interesting enough to start over unless you want to experience the game all over again. Space to farm is definitely lacking, which is the idea I guess, but there's barely any room for barns and such on a lot of them.

Otherwise, everything else new is available to you.

Meh, that is what I feared. I understand that there need to be a trade-off, but the cons outweights the pros in my eyes. Still, I guess I'll try a new one and make my own opinion.

I'm having a heck of a time deciding on one of the farms. I'm leaning on Wilderness, because I would like to grow crops still. And being able to move buildings is a HASHTAG gamechanger.

Wilderness it is.

Retro

Meh, that is what I feared. I understand that there need to be a trade-off, but the cons outweights the pros in my eyes. Still, I guess I'll try a new one and make my own opinion.

The wiki has all the new maps up if you want to look at them, and some people on reddit were talking about using a map editor to drop structures into areas that can't normally be built on. Just looking at the original map (which, to be fair, is meant for heavy farming) it's super obvious that the new maps only have about half the room, if that, on which to farm.

But like I said, that's supposedly the point; instead of farming, you have access to a bunch of ore (including a special geode type), or wood / foraging items, or easy fishing access (though with nothing exclusive and water being so close to the farm anyways...), or combat (which, apparently, has rare spawns that can net some rare drops early).

It's a neat idea but I'm not sure it's executed as well as it could be. I'd almost rather see them replace the greenhouse (which is all about farming) and drop a new structure there instead; a little mine you can go into to gather ore, a hollowed out tree with an overgrown grove inside, an enclosed fishing pond, or a mini-dungeon with monsters inside.

I'm thinking since farming was so easy to automate with sprinklers and so profitable (though I note that they dropped the value of blueberries, starfruit, cranberries and ancient fruit quite substantially) it was easy to reach a point where I didn't feel stressed about turning a profit, I might go with one of the new maps just to nerf myself a little and get more length out of the game. My only concern is that my OCD will get twitchy about having less space to lay everything out. That alone will probably lead to frustration and I'll end up starting over on a regular farming map; I never had much trouble with mining / foraging / fishing on that map, after all.

Keep in mind that there are also some new buildings to ease the need for space, improve automation, or increase yields.

Losing all of that space you don't have time to farm anyways isn't that big of a deal, I think.

I started a Riverlands farm but I'm not sure if there's any point to it :/ The wiki says it has the same fish as in town and you have much less space for other stuff.

Started a new save with the Forest Farm. Really enjoying the look and feel of it so far. I think I'm going to like how it forces me to slow down and just enjoy the game. Going to really try hard to enjoy the little things this time around.

After a few months away, I'd forgotten how fast this game can get its hooks into me. I'm eagerly checking the request board every day to make friends faster.

StoneFox

I think I would have liked River Farm better if it was just a single river going through that didn't take up most of the map. Anyway, I'm having fun with the Forest farm, I only used about 40% of the farm space pre-1.1 patch anyway, so it has plenty of space for me. I was never a min-maxer.

Randam

can someone write down a little getting started for the first few days.

how do I get food/something to drink?

and I didn't have enough space, so I put my things in the box to the right of my house.
did I through my stuff away? can't find it anymore.

Seil

can someone write down a little getting started for the first few days.

how do I get food/something to drink?

and I didn't have enough space, so I put my things in the box to the right of my house.
did I through my stuff away? can't find it anymore.

Well, first off, the box to the right of your house is the shipping box. Anything you put in there is sold at the end of the day and you get a breakdown of the earnings when you sleep.

You can craft a chest via the crafting menu with 50 wood.

Early on, foraging stuff like horseradish or spring onions (these should grow daily in the southeastern portion of the Cindersap Forest south of your farm) is useful for some energy. At level 1 foraging, which you'll probably obtain just by chopping a couple trees here and there, you unlock the Field Snack crafting recipe which is made from one of each normal tree seed. You can easily obtain these by looking around your farm for acorn-like objects and hitting those with a tool. If you don't receive a seed, it means that particular one had already begun to grow. Field Snacks are worth 45 energy which is pretty fantastic for how easy it can be to get them early on.

You can buy the first backpack upgrade for 2000 gold, which sounds pretty bad but doesn't have to be. I'd highly recommend fishing a lot in the early game as it's a fantastic source of money, especially early on. The fishing minigame takes some getting used to but if you stick with it, it's really not that bad. And fishing becomes easier as you level it, which happens quite quickly if you fish a lot.

My plan at the beginning is usually to spend my starting 500 gold on more parsnip seeds, bringing me to a total of 40 seeds day 1. I plant and water all of these then chop a couple trees, run around meeting people etc. Willy sends a message on day 2 or 3, at which point I just start fishing all day while keeping my crops watered. Between fishing and the parsnips you'll no doubt have the backpack upgrade by day 5.

For the most part, though, your first time through should just be done at your own pace. There's nothing that you can permanently miss out on, so just don't get overwhelmed and let the early days be a learning experience.

There was a discussion about that on the subreddit.

Most people agree that the standard farm is best for money making in general. The river farm seems to have the least amount of benefits.

I'd imagine that the standard farm is easy mode so to speak. And I've played that twice to a ridiculous amount of time, so I definitely want something harder and different. The wilderness seems to bring the most to the table while not forcing you to specialize to get the most out of it. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I think I want to specialize in farm animals. I never really did that much in the past.

edit:
After reading that some, it seems like either forest or wilderness fits for me. I think I'll try wilderness and see how it goes.

edit2:

Also, any really good mods now that just enhance the basic experience?

TheKeyPit

Banned
I thought a bit about the Riverland farm and its dangerous for items to drop into the water :/

I'll probably use the Foraging farm for my console playthrough later this year.

Retro

There's a thread on Reddit where Concerned Ape is listing bugs / issues he wants to address in a patch he's working on. There's some great changes in there, and the top voted comment at the moment is asking if people would like the ability to place buildings over grass (which would fix a lot of issues with the woodlands and riverlands maps).

One of the other big upgrades is "The Riverlands farm now has the potential to spawn splashing fish nodes and ore panning nodes." That would certainly improve that map, though I hope there's plans to make the Hilltop map's quarry area better as well.

What exactly is a "ore panning node"?

Damn, I started a new standard farm save after being dissapointed by the river farm. But now the changes seem pretty intereting. Arggghh, can't decide!

Seil

Adding the ability to build on the grass would certainly make the forest map more appealing, since I like it aesthetically but the loss of space is just crazy. That said, my newest game is on the standard map and I'll probably just stick to that for the time being because I'm really not feeling the benefits for the other maps in relation to how much space and freedom for building is given up. I like them aesthetically, but honestly not a fan of working around the restrictions for buildings and stuff x.x

Not to mention we now have more structures available lol.

Plus water's just a huge problem of its own because of stuff falling into it.

What exactly is a "ore panning node"?

Damn, I started a new standard farm save after being dissapointed by the river farm. But now the changes seem pretty intereting. Arggghh, can't decide!

When you remove the glittering boulder, either by finishing the fish tank or equivalent in money spent for the joja route, you unlock panning. You're given a copper pan and there'll be sparkling spots you can gather at which are the panning nodes.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
OK finally giving this game a shot!

i really like the idea of having a farm in the woods, but should i be picking the standard farm if it's my first time playing?

Retro

i really like the idea of having a farm in the woods, but should i be picking the standard farm if it's my first time playing?

Absolutely, yes. The newer maps are much harder to work with and you'll want lots of room for a barn, coop, stables, and all the other stuff. The new maps are more like a challenge mode, if you're just learning the game go with the basic farm. You're not missing anything by doing so.

StoneFox

Yes, I would choose the standard farm. It provides the most options with regards to the amount of space for buildings and farming. The other farms are mainly meant for people looking for a challenge or those not looking to min-max with super farms.

This game has got it's claws back into me good with this patch. I've played 40 hours the past week, and I'm not sure I'll be able to put it down for Mafia III.

Fitz

Any must have or really great mods to know about?

I started using mods with 1.1, and there's a couple that I've found to be indispensable, Lookup Anything and Skip Intro. Skip Intro does what it says on the tin, simply get you into the game faster. Lookup Anything brings up a custom menu over your cursor selection when you press F1 with a large amount of useful information. E.g. over a crop will tell you what it is and exactly when it will bloom, over a person will tell you if you've spoken to them today, gifted them, your relationship level etc. They both require SMAPI but you can set up Steam to launch it directly when loading the game by setting a launch option.

I started using mods with 1.1, and there's a couple that I've found to be indispensable, Lookup Anything and Skip Intro. Skip Intro does what it says on the tin, simply get you into the game faster. Lookup Anything brings up a custom menu over your cursor selection when you press F1 with a large amount of useful information. E.g. over a crop will tell you what it is and exactly when it will bloom, over a person will tell you if you've spoken to them today, gifted them, your relationship level etc. They both require SMAPI but you can set up Steam to launch it directly when loading the game by setting a launch option.

They seem convenient but not a big deal. Thank you for the suggestions.

StoneFox

I have no mods installed and I was able to skip the intro, though I don't know if it's because I already had a save file or not.

Seil

I have no mods installed and I was able to skip the intro, though I don't know if it's because I already had a save file or not.

I believe the mod is for skipping the process of getting to the main menu when you start up the game. Skipping the splash screens and stuff.

Fitz

I believe the mod is for skipping the process of getting to the main menu when you start up the game. Skipping the splash screens and stuff.

Yeah that's right, game goes straight to the New/Load screen. Not a huge deal, but saves a few seconds every time.

Why would you want to skip the ConcernedApe/Stardew Valley splash screens? It's so relaxing. dat music

Skipping the intro is a checkbox when you make a new character, FYI.

Seil

v1.11 update's gone live.

Changelog:

• Farm bulidings can now be placed in more areas, including on grass.
  • All the new farm maps now provide some kind of fishing opportunity, although the Riverlands farm is still superior
  • The Riverlands farm now has the potential to spawn splashing fish nodes and ore panning nodes.
  • On the Riverlands and Forest maps, some bushes can be destroyed with an upgraded axe
  • Digging spots now appear on the Farm, although less frequent as elsewhere. The Hill-Top farm quarry also has a chance of spawning them.
  • Slime Egg prices increased (green to 1000g, blue to 1750g, red to 2500g, purple to 5000g)
  • Placing a Wicked Statue in a slime hutch prevents the witch from cursing it.
  • Mutant Bug Lair now replenishes itself a bit each day.
  • On the Forest map, forage items have a chance to spawn on any grassy area, not just in the west.
Bug Fixes:

• Price of Galaxy Dagger has been corrected to 35,000 (it was at 350,000)
  • The Artisan Perk description has been corrected to reflect the actual bonus (it's 40% now, but the description still says 50%)
  • Weeds in the Mutant Bug Lair no longer change with the season (and no longer turn to battery packs in the winter)
  • Monsters in the mutant bug lair will now always be mutant... not revert to the standard grub/fly after saving and reloading.
  • Meteorites can no longer land on top of stumps or boulders
  • You can once again place buildings in the little shaded strip right below cliffs.
  • Fixes a crash that could occur while saving after seeing a town improvement cutscene on the Wilderness farm.
  • Forage no longer spawns under stumps.
  • Spring onions and seasonal berries can be iridium quality with the botanist perk
  • Truffles should no longer spawn in the water
  • Pets can no longer walk down the cellar stairs into the void.
  • The Outlaw boss in Journey Of The Prairie King will warp back to the center of the map if he happens to run too far off screen in either direction
  • Coop animals can now actually produce higher quality produce, like they were supposed to
  • You can no longer fill your watering can at a well that's in construction
  • The forage berry bushes are now affected by the botanist perk
  • Forage items shouldn't spawn in inaccessible places.
  • When you reach level 5 or 10 in a skill, but haven't slept yet, it no longer shows your new profession as "Desperado"
  • Fixed issue where lightning that struck an object on the farm would cause that object to "pop" into the current map when the current map was not the farm.
  • Spouses will now speak to you when they come home on Friday nights.
  • Trees can no longer spread off the map into the void, causing the game to start getting slower with each day.
  • Minor convenience adjustments and bug fixes.

With these changes in place I'll probably try out the Forest map next time I start a new game, though dunno when that'll be lol. Currently in Fall of a Year 1 Community Center run which I intend to continue playing after finishing the CC.

Nohar

Nice changes! I am enjoying my new playthrough on the Forest map, although I still need to gather enough money to actually build anything. Haven't had much time to play again so far.
And now a meteorite fell on my map. It is 14th of Spring (Year 1). It was unexpected, to say the least.

Getting screentearing issues on my new laptop :( Any way to fix this? Tried forcing vsync via nvidia controle panel but that didnt work :(

Randam

Is there a goal/end to the game you can fail/miss?

Someone said there isn't really anything you can miss.
Can I take it easy/slow with friendships/relationships?

Is there a goal/end to the game you can fail/miss?

Someone said there isn't really anything you can miss.
Can I take it easy/slow with friendships/relationships?

You can fail it, but you can always retake the test whenever you want, as long as you're willing to sacrifice a diamond.

There is, as I understand it, one cutscene you can miss in the first year if you don't befriend Sam enough, but if you do it's like, whatever, you can look it up on Youtube.

Stardew Valley is a Chill Farming Experience(tm), so you can just mess around and have fun.

Top Bottom