• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stardew Valley |OT| Resting Under a Harvest Moon [Up: now on PS4]

With the berry value reduction, I'm finding myself enjoying the game a lot more. I'm going at a much slower pace and enjoying the experience so much more. Getting the chance to socialize with villagers a lot more this time around.

Still can't believe this game is a single developer.

So what happens with rewards, from completing bundles, that you forget to take?

I finished the vault bundles and somehow forgot to collect the crystalarium..

Sarcasm

So I took a break and there are updates that are major.

I don't even remember what I was doing. Sound I delete and start over?

B7E45F32DA1DE416681A7BFC1C83C4026644975B

Holding onto the mayor's boxers for over an in-game year was worth it. Thank you 1.1 patch!

So I took a break and there are updates that are major.

I don't even remember what I was doing. Sound I delete and start over?

Why delete? There is more than one save slot. Start a new game, and if you want to revisit your old save than do so.

Randam

Yes. You can now choose between 5 types of terrain for your farm.

only your farm looks different?

rest of the map stays the same?

BTW: the controlls are kinda weired.
when my character is facing down, I want to hit down also. not up, just because the mouse icon is above my character..

Holding onto the mayor's boxers for over an in-game year was worth it. Thank you 1.1 patch!

lol
at she acting like she don't know where it's from.[spolier]

only your farm looks different?

rest of the map stays the same?

BTW: the controlls are kinda weired.
when my character is facing down, I want to hit down also. not up, just because the mouse icon is above my character..

The terrain for your farm is different, rest of the locations (city, beach, mines) is the same

Standard Farm
735px-Standard_Farm.png

Forest Farm
735px-Forest_Farm.png

Hill Top Farm
735px-Hilltop_Farm.png

Riverlands Farm
735px-Riverlands_Farm.png

Wilderness Farm
735px-Wilderness_Farm.png

Armaly

Friends got me into this because they wanted me to play the multiplayer mod with them. Game is pretty fun. Do I have to actively watch the tv everyday to learn how to make stuff or can I find blueprints in caves?

Is there some penalty (other that the ethics of working with a big polluting corporation) for using the jojo market to unlock some stuff instead of the community center? It seems much easier as I'm currently awash in cash. The winter is starting soon and I would like to have the greenhouse for my ancient fruit.

(edit) I look it up and apparently you have to choose between the two. Guess I'm in for another boring winter.

Friends got me into this because they wanted me to play the multiplayer mod with them. Game is pretty fun. Do I have to actively watch the tv everyday to learn how to make stuff or can I find blueprints in caves?

The only thing you learn from TV are recipes from The Queen of Sauce. Crafting stuff you get mostly from leveling up your skills, but some are bought from various vendors that show up.

Is there some penalty (other that the ethics of working with a big polluting corporation) for using the jojo market to unlock some stuff instead of the community center? It seems much easier as I'm currently awash in cash. The winter is starting soon and I would like to have the greenhouse for my ancient fruit.

(edit) I look it up and apparently you have to choose between the two. Guess I'm in for another boring winter.

I'm pretty sure you can sell out to Joja at anytime? The only penalty is: You don't get the mini bonuses for completing part of a bundle (ie, Spring Seeds for completing the Spring Forage Bundle), and the Joja Mart version doesn't have the Townspeople Bundles (which... is mostly fine, because usually by the time you finish that you'll have already maxed out your friendship with all those folks).

Seil

As above only cooking recipes are linked to the TV, new episodes of the cooking show are on Sundays and there are re-runs on Wednesdays. So every Sunday for the first two years there's a new recipe, it then starts over. You'll also get a variety of recipes mailed to you as you increase your relationship with various NPCs.

That said, checking the TV every day isn't a big deal and you'll get some tips from the Livin' off the Land show, checking your luck for the day can be handy, especially for spelunking, as can knowing the weather for tomorrow so you can go ahead and plan what you're going to do.

Armaly

The only thing you learn from TV are recipes from The Queen of Sauce. Crafting stuff you get mostly from leveling up your skills, but some are bought from various vendors that show up.

I'm pretty sure you can sell out to Joja at anytime? The only penalty is: You don't get the mini bonuses for completing part of a bundle (ie, Spring Seeds for completing the Spring Forage Bundle), and the Joja Mart version doesn't have the Townspeople Bundles (which... is mostly fine, because usually by the time you finish that you'll have already maxed out your friendship with all those folks).

As above only cooking recipes are linked to the TV, new episodes of the cooking show are on Sundays and there are re-runs on Wednesdays. So every Sunday for the first two years there's a new recipe, it then starts over. You'll also get a variety of recipes mailed to you as you increase your relationship with various NPCs.

That said, checking the TV every day isn't a big deal and you'll get some tips from the Livin' off the Land show, checking your luck for the day can be handy, especially for spelunking, as can knowing the weather for tomorrow so you can go ahead and plan what you're going to do.
Thanks.

Is there an advantages to any but standard? Some look like you have even less space.

The Forest Farm will spawn foragable items in the grassy areas, the stumps on the left hand side will regrow daily, providing you with a constant easy source of hardwood, and there are special weeds that grow that will always drop Mixed Seeds when you cut them. You can build buildings on the grassy areas too, so you aren't as compromised for space as it would seem.

The Hilltop Farm has a quarry down in the corner where you can get ore and geodes. I'm not sure how well that works out, since everyone I've seen playing it has said they pretty much only get copper and basic geodes at the beginning - if it levels up as your mining skill does that'd be neat, I guess.

The Riverlands Farm actually makes fishing viable (apparently any fish available from rivers can be found here), it spawns bubble spots and ore panning spots as well. Honestly it feels a bit like hard mode since there's so little space, it takes a long time to navigate and it's really easy to knock stuff in the water.

The Wilderness Farm is literally just "hey wanna have to kill some bats at night?" It feels mostly like if you wanted something new but the other new ones weren't really doing it for you.

The reduced space on the farms look like a huge deal, but really I don't think I've ever actually used the bottom left quadrant of the base farm in any of my playthroughs and I already had more money than god in those, so you're not missing too much.

Nohar

Well, fishing is still as profitable as ever. You can make loads of money early on, even moreso with the right skills. It overshadows pretty much everything in the beginning (once you have a big enough farm, though, crops and artisan goods probably make more money), although it comes with the drawback that it is time-consuming.

Taffer

wow, the mines are getting hard at level 80. :O

It may just be lucky rolls this time around but I'm enjoying the mines a lot more than I did in 1.0. It feels like there are fewer duff floors with nothing on them or ladders down are appearing much earlier than I expect them to so I waste less time breaking rocks. And I found a sword early on that stayed useful well into the mine, I don't recall finding anything except a shitty club in there before.
About Level 80 is where I dumped the sword in fact, the monsters are serious now. I died on floor 96(ish) because I was pushing my luck. Maybe the fancy sword spoiled me and made me complacent.

Sarcasm

How do you even tell if you're about to come across something that can be missed? If you miss it you have to wait or is it gone forever. Is there a guide for this?

StoneFox

How do you even tell if you're about to come across something that can be missed? If you miss it you have to wait or is it gone forever. Is there a guide for this?
As far as I know, there is only one missable, and it's not an item. Get to three hearts with Sam and go to the beach during Summer Year 1. It's an optional scene, but for certain reasons it can't happen after the first year.

Technically you can miss out of bundle awards if you don't add them to your inventory, but you can get around that by having empty slots. Beyond that scene, just enjoy the game at your own pace :)

Been enjoying my playthrough on the forest farm. Just the right amount of space.

Also didn't make the mistake of waiting until winter to upgrade my watering can. made farming so much easier and i was dumb not to have tried that sooner.

Been enjoying my playthrough on the forest farm. Just the right amount of space.

Also didn't make the mistake of waiting until winter to upgrade my watering can. made farming so much easier and i was dumb not to have tried that sooner.

Forest farm for life! Love that map so much.

How far did you upgrade your watering can? I ended up just going with sprinklers as early as I possibly could, so most of my watering was automated fairly quickly. The first day of a new season is incredibly busy though with just the base watering can.

Sarcasm

So I finally started again. Used a random number generator for map, got Hill top.

I forgot how much anxiety this game gives me while I still enjoy it. What aphid I upgrade?

I have been fishing and community center stuff.

Any tips? What should I plant asap that is beneficial long term?

Retro

So I finally started again. Used a random number generator for map, got Hill top.

I forgot how much anxiety this game gives me while I still enjoy it. What aphid I upgrade?

I have been fishing and community center stuff.

Any tips? What should I plant asap that is beneficial long term?

Whatever you find fun. It's Stardew Valley, not Farm Empire Mogul Profit Simulator 2016. I enjoyed making a cool looking, highly-automated farm and then hitting up all the social interactions and such after. The game doesn't really have an end; even when your performance is rated at the end of the second year, you can use a diamond to just re-check your score any time after.

You totally get whatever you want out of it. If you want to play it in such a way that the goal make the most profit, I guess just invest in sprinklers to tend to your crops and hit the mines hard to upgrade your tools ASAP. That'll net you materials for producing stuff like advanced sprinklers too.

Forest farm for life! Love that map so much.

How far did you upgrade your watering can? I ended up just going with sprinklers as early as I possibly could, so most of my watering was automated fairly quickly. The first day of a new season is incredibly busy though with just the base watering can.

Got to steel watering can at the beginning of fall. Definitely helped a ton.

I always forget to save quartz unfortunately. Or I never get it I don't remember.

Anustart

Glad I picked this up from humble. Only harvest moon I played was snes which I really liked but got old after the first year. There's so much to do in this game! Think I might switch map though. Not digging the hilltop farm.

Also working on a farm for my daughter. I'm a lot further in hers than I am in mine. She'll be starting spring 2 in 3 days, got her set up already with 7 sprinklers to take care of Moses of her farming. Also a barn and coop.

norm9

Any word on console release yet? A long while back, developer mentioned porting his game. I'd love to have this on my xbox.

Sarcasm

Glad I picked this up from humble. Only harvest moon I played was snes which I really liked but got old after the first year. There's so much to do in this game! Think I might switch map though. Not digging the hilltop farm.

Also working on a farm for my daughter. I'm a lot further in hers than I am in mine. She'll be starting spring 2 in 3 days, got her set up already with 7 sprinklers to take care of Moses of her farming. Also a barn and coop.

No need to switch, unless you are referring RI space. Then you probably want the default map. As other maps have less. Especially riverlands.

You can maybe even just save edit it in, though if you have built anything that gets glitchy. Though you can move most structures.

Though honestly keep playing.

Anustart

No need to switch, unless you are referring RI space. Then you probably want the default map. As other maps have less. Especially riverlands.

You can maybe even just save edit it in, though if you have built anything that gets glitchy. Though you can move most structures.

Though honestly keep playing.

Yeah I might just stick with hilltop. Only thing I wish was in was a cooking animation when making dishes. It's such a small thing but think it could be neathe.

Should I go for horse or next house upgrade first?

Sarcasm

Yeah I might just stick with hilltop. Only thing I wish was in was a cooking animation when making dishes. It's such a small thing but think it could be neathe.

Should I go for horse or next house upgrade first?

Horse. Move around faster.

Though I am slacking as I have little money but been doing community stuff. I chose hilltop and I plan to do something different then my last save (which I didn't finish).

Less focus on growing and more in artisan goods.

I started playing this game just over a week ago and I've already managed to sink nearly 30 hours into it somehow...loving it so much. The music is terrific and the art style is so pretty. Everything in this game is a joy to do. Waking up, checking the tv, petting and feeding the animals, watering plants and then heading into town to run some errands has not gotten old at all. And some days if I don't feel like doing anything, I can just hang out and fish and make a bunch of money. Super chill. Man...don't know why it took me so long to try this out.

Alright gonna go play some more, peace.

Top Bottom