• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Macaron

Banned
The game is underperforming without even being out ?

my god the starfield derangement syndrome is truly real. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
You are misquoting me. The reviews are underperforming expectation and aren't in line with scores that are "console sellers". Maybe it will intrigue some, but its not hard to understand higher reviews = more consoles sold.

The only derangement going on here is you, completely ignoring the undisputable fact Xbox sales are down and misquoting me to defend Xbox.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I read the whole ign review and he seemed to have genuine issues. Only Mr Stapleton knows. He did say he had lots of missions left to do and couldn't wait to get back to the game but he felt it took too long to get going. Seems valid to me for that person.

I then watched the people that played it for 100s of hours and they adore it. Fextralife thinks its amazing too.

Seems like proper geeks who want an rpg game will love it.

Last edited:
I read the whole ign review and he seemed to have genuine issues. Only Mr Stapleton knows. He did say he had lots of missions left to do and couldn't wait to get back to the game but he felt it took too long to get going. Seems valid to me for that person.

I then watched the people that played it for 100s of hours and they adore it. Fextralife thinks its amazing too.

Seems like proper geeks who want an rpg game will love it.
Fextralife just live and breathe RPG so their seal of approval is big for me

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm struggling with you heaping praise on a game you haven't played one second of. You're literally out here like "its Bethesda and there are some good reviews, let me hop on the internet and talk about how much I love this game!" lol its pretty funny but do you I guess

The funny part is none of that ever happened. Where am I heaping praise? I simply said I will play this more than once because I know my own tastes in gaming. Cope with it i guess.

laugh-smile.gif

None of the points you made change what an 88 rating means. That's still outstanding. To be disappointed by that is silly.
So you're saying that every single game from the smallest indie to the largest AAAA game, should be judged using the exact same criteria, and expectations and context should never factor in? Okay. I vehemently disagree.

If the next GTA gets an 85 with the series historically being 90+ you would just say "Hey, an 85 is better than most games, these are great scores"? I wouldn't. I would wonder why it is scoring much lower than expectations and prior games in the series. And after all the hype and build up it would be perfectly reasonable to be disappointed in those scores. Even if a small indie game you love also got an 85.

I have the game preloaded, and very excited to jump in tonight. This isn't console warring garbage. But I also just don't see a need to bury my head in the sand when it comes to discussing the game or all the context and expectations around it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You are misquoting me. The reviews are underperforming expectation and aren't in line with scores that are "console sellers". Maybe it will intrigue some, but its not hard to understand higher reviews = more consoles sold.

The only derangement going on here is you, completely ignoring the undisputable fact Xbox sales are down and misquoting me to defend Xbox.

Reviews are underperforming at 88/100 ? what ?

Per Sony, games like CoD are the best system sellers and the last bunch of CoD's have all scored in the 70's in aggregate reviews.

You're trying too hard :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

AGRacing

Some of the criticism I understand but disagree with. Especially the "sparse planets" problem. Every corner you could walk yourself down in a mass effect is going to have a person or item or way point at the end of it and that's totally fine... but you don't feel like you've found anything special.

On the other hand.. If you search and search and find very little of anything on desolate worlds... and THEN one time you turn a corner and something unique is there. That's a sense of discovery in a game that I want and I'm hoping to see in Starfield.

Excited to get started.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm struggling with you heaping praise on a game you haven't played one second of. You're literally out here like "its Bethesda and there are some good reviews, let me hop on the internet and talk about how much I love this game!" lol its pretty funny but do you I guess

BennyBlanco BennyBlanco never said anything about how much he loves this game. Just said he is going to be playing it for quite a while based on it being a Bethesda game and other factors. Plenty of Bethesda fans here, including myself and HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , have expressed that same sentiment. So what? Why does that bother you?

Last edited:

Macaron

Banned
The funny part is none of that ever happened. Where am I heaping praise? I simply said I will play this more than once because I know my own tastes in gaming. Cope with it i guess.

laugh-smile.gif
"None of that happened" you quoted me quoting someone who was doing just that, and literally listed your reasons as to why its ok for you to say youll like Starfield despite never played any of it.....lol

King Dazzar

So as XboxEra gave Redfail an 85 and Starfield a 97. Does that mean they think Starfield is only 12 better than Redfail.... 😁

Joking aside, its good to see it reviewing well. My only gripe is that its only 30fps on consoles at this time. But one for the future for sure. Imagine what it will become over time with mods etc.

POKEYCLYDE

3 more hours roughly til some of us get their hands on it. I've never relied on reviews to know what games are and aren't for me. I still have fun with Skyrim. I'll have fun with Starfield.

Montauk

Oh, I'm sure there's a multitude of reasons the IGN US Editor rated Starfield the same as Maneater and worse than Mass Effect Andromeda. Is Bethesda's review code practices one of those reasons? Who am I to say.

But the point is that you are trying to back up that accusation. You ARE saying something. So playing coy now with “who am to say” is transparent behaviour.

You’ve got no evidence, you’re just speculating. And you’re speculating because you’re upset. You’re upset because you’ve come to self-identify with the Xbox brand and you consider that review a personal attack.

Get a grip. Nobody cares.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Where are the 100+ reviews some people are touting? MC Xbox version shows 50 reviews and PC version 51 reviews.

Zelda TOTK has 146 reviews, Horizon has 126, Spider-man PS4 has 116, R&C 127, FF16 143...

Halo Infinite has 98. There's a LONG, long way to go for Starfield's final score.

88 based on 99 reviews.

Pper Sony, games like CoD are the best system sellers and the last bunch of CoD's have all scored in the 70's in aggregate reviews.

You should stop being so blind to the MS astroturfing, but of course it's difficult for you to see when you're right in the thick of it.

Many media outlets such as the Guardian, Edge, MetroUK, SkillUp, Eurogamer openly stated that they were denied review copies. To parrot that 88 as though it's some kind of grandiose achievement is truly sad, even for you.

Here's some advice: it's okay to feel disappointed. It's not your fault.

Zathalus

Where are the 100+ reviews some people are touting? MC Xbox version shows 50 reviews and PC version 51 reviews.

Zelda TOTK has 146 reviews, Horizon has 126, Spider-man PS4 has 116, R&C 127, FF16 143...

Halo Infinite has 98. There's a LONG, long way to go for Starfield's final score.
Opencritic, 99 reviews at the moment.

MarkMe2525

This is how space works in most sci-fi universes. Its usually hand waved away with a line of dialog that explains how they installed "inertial scrubbers" or "momentum dampeners" to their ships.

One game that I can recall that played to a more realistic depiction of "space flight" is Outer Wilds. You have to take into account your momentum in every direction, as well as gravity. It was certainly disorienting at first, but fun once you got the hang of it.

Macaron

Banned
BennyBlanco BennyBlanco never said anything about how much he loves this game. Just said he is going to be playing it for quite a while based on it being a Bethesda game and other factors. Plenty of Bethesda fans here, including myself and HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 , have expressed that same sentiment. So what? Why does that bother you?
First of all, what he actually said is "I played Spiderman once, but ill play Starfield over and over". Lets stop misquoting please.

Second, making determinations of any sort about a game you haven't played even a single second of is ridiculous to me. Clearly you guys keep finding defensible logic to take to the internet to post your conclusions without one second played though, so have at it I guess.

88 based on 99 reviews.
OK, fair enough. An 88 it is then. It's official.

Fair play. Congrats to Microsoft on a great game.

I'm outta here. Hope the game itself lives up to everyone's expectation regardless of score. It's been fun here today. No ban hammers for once!

Last edited:

adamsapple

You should stop being so blind to the MS astroturfing, but of course it's difficult for you to see when you're right in the thick of it.

Many media outlets such as the Guardian, Edge, MetroUK, SkillUp, Eurogamer openly stated that they were denied review copies. To parrot that 88 as though it's some kind of grandiose achievement is truly sad, even for you.

What does this post even mean lol, your last post is asking where the review scores are. Two posters have replied to you showing that it has an aggregate of 88 based on 99 reviews.

-

I swear there's an influx of 200~ post users with dormant profiles who seem to have all congregated in the recent Starfield threads :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Serious business, this is lads.

Macaron

Banned

Per Sony, games like CoD are the best system sellers and the last bunch of CoD's have all scored in the 70's in aggregate reviews.

As far as selling a system which is what were talking about? Yeah bud, 88/100 isn't going to do it.

You can't compare COD with its built in fanbase and casual gamer appeal to Starfield. Thats silly as fuck. But im the one trying too hard? lol

If you wanna talk about system sellers properly, maybe look up what TOTK did for Switch after the reviews it received. Starfield isn't going to do that for Xbox with 88.

Last edited:
First of all, what he actually said is "I played Spiderman once, but ill play Starfield over and over". Lets stop misquoting please.

Second, making determinations of any sort about a game you haven't played even a single second of is ridiculous to me. Clearly you guys keep finding defensible logic to take to the internet to post your conclusions without one second played though, so have at it I guess.

Man these arguments are so dumb

I shit on games I've never played all the time and I enjoy every second of it.

Zathalus

Even if all those outlets gave the game a 7/10 it would still be 88/100 game on opencritic. It will take around 6 (or 7) 7/10 reviews to drop it by a single point. That number only goes up if it gets more 9 or higher reviews.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Just thought I'd check the page count 6 hours later.

Yep. Carry on.

Success

lol the game is at 88 on metacritic. what are we even doing?

I think the person you quoted means that he expected Starfield to be a genre defining wonder game like BG3, Zelda, Red Dead 2 and Elden Ring.

Because so few studios have the resources to make such a big budget games.

So you want the game to be a 95+ wonder. So a score of 88 is a big disappointment.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I know you didn’t mean it literally obviously, but I’m pushing back against this apparently widespread unfounded assumption that some UK outlets will be rating the game poorly for the review code mess.

You know, another one of the strangely popular conspiracy theories around here
I’m parodying those comments.

Top Bottom