• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play | May 30, 2024

R6Rider

Gold Member
State of Play is back! Tune in live for updates on PS5 and PS VR2 titles, plus a look at PlayStation Studios games arriving later this year. The 30+ minute show features 14 titles, and begins May 30 at 3pm PT / 6pm ET | May 31 12am CEST / 7am JST on YouTube, Twitch, and TikTok. See you then!

Astro Bot I summon thee!

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I’m hoping for a shadow drop. I’m about to be done with Elden Ring and want to play something until the Elden Ring DLC drops, lol.

Lets Go Marvel GIF by Leroy Patterson

Audiophile

Just developed a twitch right under my eye and it's ever so slightly skewing my vision every ~second.

Great timing for the stream.

midnightAI

Honest question, why are people excited for Astro Bot? Did you all love the VR game or is a tech demo getting you this excited?
Because they play/control great, look and sound good, the bots themselves have a load of charm and, most importantly, something that seems to have been forgotten lately.... Are fun.

near

Gold Member
So, it's weird for people to be excited over Astro Bot because it's a much more niche IP?
I didn't call it weird. I asked why people were excited for it, not sure why a genuine question has you backed up on a fence right now.

Romulus

Astro Bot Rescue Mission on PSVR 1 is literally the closest thing to the magic of Mario 64. It might even be better than it, most people just have no idea because it's a VR title.

It's the single most underrated console game in history imo. In videos it doesn't do it justice and even owning a 4090 PC with VR I have to say that game was the biggest surprise on a lowly PSVR1 of all things.

99% of the gaming community missed out, even most sony gamers.

Last edited:
Honest question, why are people excited for Astro Bot? Did you all love the VR game or is a tech demo getting you this excited?
Both really. Rescue mission is legit one of the best platformers ever imo. Probably the last platformer I preferred over that was Galaxy 2 which was a longggg time ago. They way they were able to incorporate VR is unlike anything else I've ever played. It was similar to playing Mario 64 for the first time, just kind of a revolutionary 'holy shit, never realized this could have been done in games'.

Playroom was also great with it being a tech demo basically. It still has the best use of the dual sense (which really sucks in a way as that was a launch game). Also took you on a trip down memory lane if you have game with PlayStation throughout their history. I haven't play this since the launch of the PS5 and still from time to time get that SSD song stuck in my head. They just find ways to make memorable moments even in just minor things.

I just think the team over at Asobi are just really creative and passionate people and it shows in their games. So as long as they keep making games, I'll be day 1.

nial

Gold Member
I didn't call it weird. I asked why people were excited for it, not sure why a genuine question has you backed up on a fence right now.
Oh, I'm actually pretty chill, but you honestly came across like that with this part of your post.
or is a tech demo getting you this excited?
Eapecially since, well, people are obviously getting excited because it is not a tech demo.
But if you were genuine with knowing nothing about the gameplay in general, then it's fine.

Audiophile

I think Astrobot might be best served with two separate games. A VR one ("Astro Bot: Rescue Mission 2") and a conventional display one ("Astro Bot's Big Adventure").

I feel like trying to make it both would undermine the potential of either. A VR version of a conventional game would mean avoiding some of the distinct mechanics and ways of interacting that were in Rescue Mission so that it'd be playable on a standard display; and vice versa (albeit to a lesser extent).

They'd have to have the resources to do both and I very much doubt it'd happen, but while I think some games can switch easily between the two, something like this requires you to fully lean into one approach or the other to really maximise it.

Who knows though, perhaps they can pull a hybrid approach off and surprise me.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bloodborne Remastered
Ghost of Tsushima 2
New Bend IP
AstroBot (Mario killer)
Killzone remake
Colony Wars reboot
Dynasty Warriors 10
Concord
New Naughty Dog IP
Resident Evil 9
Final Fantasy IX remake

#believe

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
It really does suck that 99% of people haven't experienced Rescue Mission.

near

Gold Member
Oh, I'm actually pretty chill, but you honestly came across like that with this part of your post.

Eapecially since, well, people are obviously getting excited because it is not a tech demo.
But if you were genuine with knowing nothing about the gameplay in general, then it's fine.
I'm sorry if my post came across a little demeaning, was genuinely curious as I have no experience with either the VR game or the tech demo. Also knowing that the tech demo was free and widely played, I assumed it was the tech demo that triggered the hype.

XXL

It's the single most underrated console game in history imo. In videos it doesn't do it justice and even owning a 4090 PC with VR I have to say that game was the biggest surprise on a lowly PSVR1 of all things.

99% of the gaming community missed out, even most sony gamers.
100%

Even though the best we can hope for is (most likely) a hybrid title, honestly it not being PSVR 2 only will be a huge step down, I don't think it's possible to recreate the greatness of Rescue Mission without it being VR only.

If you know, you know.

Fingers crossed.

Fbh

Going to go ahead and just say:
GIF by SkySlope

Will update if it's actually good
It probably won't be

lyW7pv1.jpeg

This was forwarded to me
by my dad that just retired from Sony. He’s in Cancun right now so he’s not elaborating.

No Lego Bloodborne?
Not Borne as a service?

Fake.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I'm sorry if my post came across a little demeaning, was genuinely curious as I have no experience with either the VR game or the tech demo. Also knowing that the tech demo was free and widely played, I assumed it was the tech demo that triggered the hype.
Well, the thing is that it's a very good game in spite of being a simple tech demo, so the idea of the studio making a full lenght sequel is what's really exciting for a lot of people.
And of course there's the PSVR exclusive which is an actual retail game, and an amazing one as well.

Top Bottom