• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation State of Play Announced for May 30th

CosmicComet

Time to shoot your ps5.
kyELbKH.jpeg
I would be super happy with a new Dynasty Warriors, more Phantom Blade 0 and more Monster Hunter.

The rest of that looks like ass.

The PS5 is a third party machine for me, I've learned not to give a fuck about Sony studio output

tmlDan

I really do wonder if it's too late for the Pro at this point. I think Next Gen will be ready around 2027. But I don't follow Pro news closely, so I have no idea.
its not too late for PS, it's a mid-gen upgrade. Xbox on the other hand? they might have to start early cause their sales are plummeting.

I don't expect a PS6 till at least 2028

GymWolf

Gold Member
Herman Hurst happened. Last year, he gave us the worst PS conference since the E3 2005 KZ and Motorstorm CG conference. This year hes giving us a shit state of play. Though 99% of state of plays are typically shit anyway. In 2021 and 2022 he skipped e3 showcases altogether.

he's mismanaged the shit out of these legendary studios. They used to win GOTYs every year when Shu was incharge. They havent won since 2020. Wont win shit this year. thats 4 years in a row. from 2013 to 2020, they wont 5 out of the 8 years.

he's given us cross gen stuff and remakes from Sonys biggest studios.

And his reward? A promotion to CEO. We bitch about DEI and woke practices all the time, but this guy is the prime example of failing upwards. he's been a miserable failure these last four years at his job and he is rewarded with CEO. If he was japanese, he would resign in shame. But these suits have no shame. They know they suck. They know they are terrible at their jobs but they cling on taking promotions until they have ruined these previously great companies. I am seeing a direct 1:1 rise to fame that i saw with phil spencer. head of xbox first party for five years failing miserably at producing content. Then gets made CEO and ruins the entire brand.
E3 2005 with the fake trailer was hype as fuck tho.

Ristifer

Ooh, a new AstroBot game. Such a colossal announcement forthcoming. I'll never forget where I was when Sony dropped that earth-shattering bomb.

Seriously, though, I hope that leak isn't real. That is bleak.

King Dazzar

Alright then Sony. I suppose I better play Astrobot lol It's stayed on my to do list for ages now. Its like telling me the grass needs mowing. My enthusiasm knows no limits.
Sad Puff GIF by BAILEN

CosmicComet

Ooh, a new AstroBot game. Such a colossal announcement forthcoming. I'll never forget where I was when Sony dropped that earth-shattering bomb.

Seriously, though, I hope that leak isn't real. That is bleak.
Haha about AstroBot. I dont disagree with the sentiment.

Despite being well received its somehow even less relevant than Knack was.

At least the latter had memes.

AstroBot was just a cutesy tech demo that everyone forgot about once the PS5 finally got games.

tmlDan

I guess that would make sense.
I honestly think its crazy that all three consoles are doing their own thing. It's kinda nice as a consumer, we get more variety than ever in terms of strategy.

It was so hard buying consoles in the past that launched simultaneously, you had to usually pick one or the other. I feel like im more likely to buy the next xbox because Sony might not be there for another couple of years lol

ByWatterson

Appears we can confirm Astro is not a VR game? Says updates on VR, and then separately
You 100% know they aint doing that

You say Microsoft

Sony says

UZnEu0R.gif

Remember when Microsoft said their competitors are actually Google and Apple?

Yeah, that's actually true for Sony. They're competing for time and mindshare. The console war is over.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Admit I haven't played the VR game, but don't understand the hype around Astrobot. Not a great character (does he have any character?) and apart from Mario platformers are pretty much dead (which I say with a heavy heart, as I grew up loving them). Would kill for a new Rayman Legends myself...
This is the problem with VR... you just cannot show it. You have to play to understand, especially with Astrobot. And that sucks.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
This is the problem with VR... you just cannot show it. You have to play to understand, especially with Astrobot. And that sucks.
I've played multiple VR platformers, but not Astrobot 1. Is it like Super Lucky's Tale or is it significantly different in the set up?

Evolved1

This could potentially be the worst SoP of all time.
If they do show monster hunter, then that is literally impossible. It's mainline monster hunter... wtf people, World is the most successful capcom game of all time... and this is the follow-up. It recently blew up again to huge player numbers years after its launch... iron is still hot. They could show nothing else and this would still be a win.

FunkMiller

Don't worry, all those PC players will rush out to buy a PS5. Hermen has a plan.

Fucking idiotic. PC players have had decades of getting used to waiting for games to get to them. They're fine with it. Does he think that's going to change now, especially as the time it's taking for games to come to PC is shrinking?

Absolutely dumb as shit.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Fucking idiotic. PC players have had decades of getting used to waiting for games to get to them. They're fine with it. Does he think that's going to change now, especially as the time it's taking for games to come to PC is shrinking?

Absolutely dumb as shit.
lol I don’t get how porting all your games to PC, some with a delay, is supposed to entice PC gamers to buy a PlayStation.

That’s like Microsoft expecting PlayStation gamers to buy an Xbox when they port Xbox games to PS5.

Absolutely dumb as shit.

Tell me about it. Sony would have a hard time convincing PC players to buy their exclusives on PS Store let alone buying a console. I don't think I've seem a more out of touch strategy since Microsoft's TV focus.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Absolutely dumb as shit.
I agree.

I said it before giving PC players a taste knowing these games will come to PC I know many that are fine with waiting, not missing out on waiting on a single player game.

Topher

Gold Member
I agree.

I said it before giving PC players a taste knowing these games will come to PC I know many that are fine with waiting, not missing out on waiting on a single player game.

I really have a hard time believing Hulst buy's into his own bullshit on this. It makes no sense when every single sequel comes to PC as well. Not sure why they even need to wrap PC ports around that narrative anyway. What is wrong with simply saying they want to generate more revenue leveraging PC?

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
I agree.

I really have a hard time believing Hulst buy's into his own bullshit on this. It makes no sense when every single sequel comes to PC as well. Not sure why they even need to wrap PC ports around that narrative anyway. What is wrong with simply saying they want to generate more revenue leveraging PC?

Sometimes I feel like executives just want to give the impression that they have intricate plans. I think they believe if they just say what it simply is will call their position into question. Their PC strategy is clearly simplistic and won't greatly change any dynamics. PS owners get access to big single-player games first. PC a few years later. If you don't want to wait, buy a console. If you prefer console gaming, buy a console. Like, it sounds like he was concerned about making it seem as if they have great growth plans on every possible vector. Investors eat that shit up. Mostly because a lot of them have more money than sense for the industry they have investments in.

Last edited:
Haha about AstroBot. I dont disagree with the sentiment.

Despite being well received its somehow even less relevant than Knack was.

At least the latter had memes.

AstroBot was just a cutesy tech demo that everyone forgot about once the PS5 finally got games.
An Astrobot game where its levels are designed around Sony Franchise IP could be epic. Seperate levels for IP's like Resistance, Horizon, Killzone, Uncharted, GOW ect

Perrott

The actual games will have to blow our minds to save this show because that list is pretty underwhelming.
That's not even the list, for better or for worse. That's a screenshot of a ResetEra post from a regular user.

And he got stuff wrong from the hints provided by the actual leaker, such as the first hint not being about Dynasty Warriors but about Where Wind Meets, or him saying Concord, Phantom Blade 0 and a generic new VR game being there when there were no hints about those titles at all in the original leak.

This is misinformation at its worst, even if the event ends up sucking ass regardless.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

Absolutely dumb as shit.
giphy.gif

Punished Miku

Absolutely dumb as shit.

Personally, I think the fact that it makes zero sense should tell you he doesn't actually think this. He wants to keep PS players happy on their system while continuing growth. That's all it is.

They're hedging their bets because the future of consoles is very unclear. PS5 is doing gangbusters on most metrics, but people are noticing some broader trends that don't favor consoles in 10 years time. They're trying to position themselves for a future where a disruptive growth in cloud / PC / hardware agnosticism takes off. It may happen, it may not. But if it happens and they sat out the whole time for 10 years they will have lost a whole generation of fans that never got a PS and never cared about their series. Same thing SQEX is seeing now, they're just further along in this process. Almost no 3rd parties are going to limit themselves to just consoles at this point. What he's really doing is hedging his bets while just saying what needs to be said to keep people fine with the status quo.

Evolved1

I've played multiple VR platformers, but not Astrobot 1. Is it like Super Lucky's Tale or is it significantly different in the set up?
The brilliance of Rescue Mission is how it's specifically designed to leverage (mechanically) the vr technology. They used perspective, scale, and every other tool the original PSVR offered in novel and creative ways. Similar to what they did with the new controller on PS5 but at a much greater scale. It wasn't just like slapping a 3D platformer into VR (which is still cool, but nowhere near as impactful). When people compare Rescue Mission to their Mario 64 moment... it's not hyperbole.

Last edited:

Varteras

Gold Member
Personally, I think the fact that it makes zero sense should tell you he doesn't actually think this. He wants to keep PS players happy on their system while continuing growth. That's all it is.

They're hedging their bets because the future of consoles is very unclear. PS5 is doing gangbusters on most metrics, but people are noticing some broader trends that don't favor consoles in 10 years time. They're trying to position themselves for a future where a disruptive growth in cloud / PC / hardware agnosticism takes off. It may happen, it may not. But if it happens and they sat out the whole time for 10 years they will have lost a whole generation of fans that never got a PS and never cared about their series. Same thing SQEX is seeing now, they're just further along in this process. Almost no 3rd parties are going to limit themselves to just consoles at this point. What he's really doing is hedging his bets while just saying what needs to be said to keep people fine with the status quo.

It's odd to see people raging at executives for noticing where things are going and preparing their brand for a possibly very different future. Because you know that decades from now, should things go that way, they'll be cursed for not having foresight to see this coming and letting the brand struggle and/or die. PlayStation isn't just a hardware brand, it's a software identity, too. Strengthening that as much as they can is going to serve them well, no matter what comes.

Punished Miku

It's odd to see people raging at executives for noticing where things are going and preparing their brand for a possibly very different future. Because you know that decades from now, should things go that way, they'll be cursed for not having foresight to see this coming and letting the brand struggle and/or die. PlayStation isn't just a hardware brand, it's a software identity, too. Strengthening that as much as they can is going to serve them well, no matter what comes.
Yeah, exactly. And I think the need to move early is 100x more urgent if you plan on running any kind of multiplatform store and getting 3rd party sales. Steam is already so dominant. I think it's ultimately going to come down to a battle of multiple digital log-ins, and those will be on all devices (console, PC, cloud, TV, mobile). PS needs a storefront immediately to be on every device or they limit their own growth. Steam, Epic already doing this and MS is about to as well.

Or maybe none of that happens and consoles stick around like they are now without much changing. Who knows.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Astrobot and new Dynasty Warriors isn’t bad … but still it’s kind of sparse overall. I was hoping at least some info on Ghost 2, but guess it’s still far off.

What he says makes perfect sense

Most PC users have it because of work and school and it just so happens to also play games

There’s a subset of these that will enjoy experiences that eventually either requires another pc upgrade or buying a console instead

Most consumers on pc are not PCMR tinkerers and there’s a market for these consumers potentially buying a console

There’s zero data that console is declining, Nintendo and Sony are thriving. Only Microsoft has destroyed their console brand

Top Bottom