• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Seal 2015 |OT| This isn't the account you're looking for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any thoughts on Subnautica and Undertale? I am more interested in Subnautica as it really caught my eye as an underwater game. Thanks
Here's a review/impressions of Subnautica I wrote a few months back. Game has gotten several major updates since then

In short: yes, it's totally worth it and it's my favorite in the genre. And that's coming from someone tired of the craft/survive/explore genre
BoneSharks-618x348.jpg
jDtoSJ3.gif

I doubt anyone would disagree if you said the open world-crafting-survival genre has become over-saturated in recent years. From zombie-infested cities and frozen woodlands to apocalyptic wastelands and everything in between, we've built shelters, faced dangerous nights, and crafted gear across a plethora of locales and scenarios. Subnautica adds a new depth to the genre, quite literally, as you explore and survive in the sprawling depths of an alien ocean.

Subnautica's settings is easily its strongest element. There's a sense of wonder and mystery and beauty here that forest, cities, and other terrestrial places can't capture. Awakening in an escape pod after your larger spaceship crashes, you climb out and are welcomed with only an expanse of blue in all directions. The only way to survive is to plunge downwards into the aquatic landscape, catching sealife for food and gathering debris and materials to craft new gear and upgrades. What a world awaits you: kelp forests swaying in the current, bio-luminescent growths along the walls of dark deep caves, swarms of weird fish twisting through the water, coral tunnels and reefs, and more. But this beautiful environment is not void of danger.

Bone sharks swim among the kelp, the aggressive leviathan waits near the smoking crash site, and other aggressive lifeforms thrive throughout Subnautica's biomes. Luckily, with the right materials, you'll be well equipped to descend deeper and brave unexplored areas. Air tanks allow to stay underwater for longer, fins let you swim faster, knives and high-tech equipment like the stasis gun provide more effective means of defense. Lights, beacons, dive reels, air pipelines; the array of equipment to be constructed is varied and grows with each update.

It's an engaging cycle; new equipment allows you to explore more of the world (a reward by itself), thus acquiring new and better material and having access to better gear to explore deeper. In my opinion, the fact that every piece of equipment has a direct tangible effect, from faster movement or more air, makes crafting and collecting material more tolerable than in similar games. Once you're constructing bases on the sea floor or building submersibles, Subnautica really opens up, as you establish footholds in deeper terrain.

What do people think of Farcry 4?

I liked it. If you enjoyed Far Cry 3 you'll like it as well, since it's basically Far Cry 3-2

The story is a lot better this time though. They also added minor things like a helicopter, rideable elephants, better graphics, the ability to shoot from vehicles and so on.

Balthuk

Just a little side note, that game does drop below 60fps (which it is also locked to) quite often when there is a bit of stuff going on. Just so people are aware of that. :)

And that was on my PC with a 970 and i7 4770K@4.3GHz.

Still a fun game, but the drops are annoying.

I think this only happens when you get hit and is deliberate. I saw a dev explaining that somewhere in the game's steam forums. Not sure if that is what you mean. I'm on an i5 4460, r9 280 and have noticed no slowdown other than that.

Hubble

Here's a review/impressions of Subnautica I wrote a few months back. Game has gotten several major updates since then

In short: yes, it's totally worth it and it's my favorite in the genre. And that's coming from someone tired of the craft/survive/explore genre

Bought instantly after your post. Thanks for the impressions! I was probably going to buy it anyway because I couldn't see it let go. The game just looks very cool and love its art style. And based on what I read, it really seems like something new and refreshing. Keeping an eye on Undertale too. Thanks for those impressions.

R3TRODYCE

And just when I thought I was done buying things I see this...My wallet...

kagamin

There's always a few that don't understand emulation, they think the only way to play emulated games is from downloading an iso illegally or something.

The only thing I'm confused about here is how people without a Wii U expect to be able to dump Wii U games in the first place without owning one... unless that's not what's happening.

Soulflarz

Banned
Going for the day so asking now- can anyone upload/pm me the sonic unleashed mod for generations? The original mega.co.nz is down :<

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Excuse me if this is considered common knowledge or off-topic, but how does one get oneself invited to the NeoGAF Steam group? My Steam ID is psn_tiemenmeijer and I'd like in.

I should really pull myself away from these sales though. ._. I've already bought more games than I'll play anytime soon and I just keep looking for more.

The only thing I'm confused about here is how people without a Wii U expect to be able to dump Wii U games in the first place without owning one... unless that's not what's happening.

Just go buy whatever Wii U game you want and dump it on your PC. It just saves you the embarrassment and cost of buying an actual Wii U.

EDIT: Unless Wii U games use some proprietary format that can't be dumped, but that's unlikely.

Nillansan

steamcommunity.com/id/alexngregory/

Come on, then.

are we doing the adding ppl thing?

here's mine then: http://steamcommunity.com/id/zkylon

Ok figured out how to get a steam id. Please add me could use some friends.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/RedFury03

Added you all. Here is my Steam ID. Feel free to add me.

Excuse me if this is considered common knowledge or off-topic, but how does one get oneself invited to the NeoGAF Steam group? My Steam ID is psn_tiemenmeijer and I'd like in.

I should really pull myself away from these sales though. ._. I've already bought more games than I'll play anytime soon and I just keep looking for more.

A link to your Steam page would be ideal. I'm guessing you're on this list somewhere, but your SteamID is nowhere to be found.

So, go to your profile preferences and set a custom ID for yourself, then link it here.
Steam > Profile > Edit Profile > Custom URL

Phinor

Finally ready to dive in on Elite Dangerous at $15. But I'm unsure about how the Horizons expansion works. Can I buy that in the game somewhere because I don't see an option for it on steam other than the $60 version.

Nope, there's no Horizons as thing you can buy individually. They decided to attach Elite Dangerous to every Horizons purchase so if you buy Elite Dangerous now, your only option later on is to buy Elite Dangerous + Horizons as a bundle. They currently offer 25% discount on the bundle for users who own the original game but they emphasized that the promotion is for limited time only (effectively bringing the price down to a high price expansion level.. until the promotion runs out).

I bought bulletstorm yesterday and its pretty good. Although, i probably shouldnt rotate it with Wolfenstein because the physical act of shooting just feels too good in The New Order. To the point where bulletstorm feels a lil off and the shooting kinda flat.

PS: whats everyone issue with gfwl?

not a snarky comment, i generally wanna know. Sure its kinda annoying to log in twice but it seems to make some's blood boil

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
The personal apology from Gaben made me so happy I'm going to see It's a Wonderful Life AGAIN!

bigzgod

Any Gaffers from Australia online atm?

There's a price error on Watch Dogs Complete for $5.44.

I'd be interested in a copy if someone from Aus is online!

I bought bulletstorm yesterday and its pretty good. Although, i probably shouldnt rotate it with Wolfenstein because the physical act of shooting just feels too good in The New Order. To the point where bulletstorm feels a lil off and the shooting kinda flat.

not a snarky comment, i generally wanna know. Sure its kinda annoying to log in twice but it seems to make some's blood boil

When GFWL breaks on you, you'll understand, it's about the most archaic, ass backwards client out there were the smallest thing can just totally screw everything up. GTAIV was a nightmare with GFWL.

Ok, invites away.
When GFWL breaks on you, you'll understand, it's about the most archaic, ass backwards client out there were the smallest thing can just totally screw everything up. GTAIV was a nightmare with GFWL.
To get a game running--I think it was Dark Souls 1--I had to uninstall the version of GFWL that came with the game and install one that I had sitting on my hardrive from some time ago. Finding the newest version on their website was, a) impossible; and b) didn't work, either.

GFWL: not even once.

gaf help, I can't complete my purchase on steam with paypal, everytime i get to the paypal part and try to confirm the purchase it crashes the tab (and all other steam tabs i got open too)

Not sure if this is off-topic, but I got Arkham Knight for free back in July, and I just noticed that all of the Arkham games got added to my Steam library. Apparently WB said they would add them at some point in December, but I had no idea until the games popped up in my library. Did they just get added for everyone, or have they been there for a while? I searched and didn't see any threads about it.

pahamrick

Not sure if this is off-topic, but I got Arkham Knight for free back in July, and I just noticed that all of the Arkham games got added to my Steam library. Apparently WB said they would add them at some point in December, but I had no idea until the games popped up in my library. Did they just get added for everyone, or have they been there for a while? I searched and didn't see any threads about it.

Earlier this month.

Still annoyed they didn't add them as gift-able copies that I could give to friends, since I already had all the Arkham Games on steam thanks to them being bundled dirt cheap several times.

It was part of their "sorry BAK's port is hot garbage" compensation/response thing. IIRC they decided this after the effort to fix the port was abandoned some months ago.

So people have known for a while... but, like... if you preordered BAK/owned BAK that early, you probably had all of them to begin with, so for a lot of people it was an empty gesture. I, for instance, got Batman Arkham: Blackgate for free--that's it.

So, yeah. People knew, it's just... not much of an event. Like everything revolving around Batman: Arkham Knight.

yea it was a while back, nice surprise for me

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Earlier this month.

Still annoyed they didn't add them as gift-able copies that I could give to friends, since I already had all the Arkham Games on steam thanks to them being bundled dirt cheap several times.
The fact that the others have been bundled or dirt cheap before is what's keeping me from buying Arkham Knight (as well as the shitty port)

Lomax

Well gwfl was going to be shut down some time ago but it never happened. Once it is shut down however, Bulletstorm won't run, even in single player mode. So that's the biggest problem.

At least a couple weeks or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom