• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Seal 2015 |OT| This isn't the account you're looking for

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjoki

Wait a minute.
Yesterday the storepage read

That's right,
9981 titles on sale across Steam

Today it's

That's right,
9961 titles on sale across Steam

Umihawaraka or whatever it's called makes 3 games. What are the other 17

Probably some Ubisoft games and DLC?

Jazz573

Wait a minute.

That's right,

Today it's

That's right,

UmiharaKawase

I have a bit more money to spend this sale, I had spaced on Grow Home and Styx, so will pick up.

Any recommendations for games in the $10 or less range that have really good atmosphere and would recommend?
Dark Echo
Darkest Dungeon
NEO Scavenger
Jotun
jrWYB6m.gif
KSPZT0Q.jpg

ss_f72c7858ecc10a74598c6fa198203e75dd65db05.1920x1080.jpg
UAwyLHp.gif

How do the sale badges work as far as decorating your profile go? I got some ribbons from the first one and some garland on my top showcase for the second one, but I didn't notice any change after the third one.

Lagamorph

how is FF8 on steam ? good as FF7 ?

I think it's just a re-release of the original PC Port from way back when rather than the slightly enhanced re-release that FF7 got a little while back.
I certainly don't recall anything about any enhancements to 8 anyway.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just ran across Gods Will Be Watching in my discovery queue. I remember the trailer being quite attention grabbing but I never really hear it pop up in game recommendations. Can anyone point me to aye or nay on this?

i've played the game and its free dlc and it's a hard one to recommend, really

the story goes interesting places and the game is a real tour of beautiful audiovisual landscapes, but the way the game works is very trial and error-y and there's never real interesting mechanics in it, it's just a very rigid puzzle with one solution that you have to stumble in the dark to figure out and then robotically execute. there's also a rng element that can just go NOPE! and that's half an hour of play down the drain. this means rewatching cutscenes, redoing everything in a very slow animations interface with the posibility that even if you do everything right you still lose.

it's fucked up.

there's an easy mode and the option to remove the rng and that way you can easily enjoy the story and the style without running into those annoyances but it also kind of undermines the whole point of the game. it's supposed to be unfair, it's supposed to be unreasonable, it's a fucked up game about fucked up situations, the right way to approach this kind of "whatever the cost" themes is by making the stakes really high and sometimes really bullshitty because nothing puts you in that position quite like being in such a fucked up situation yourself

so i'd say go for it if any of that sounds interesting to you, maybe beat the first two chapers on normal mode and then just go back and set it on easy+no rng as soon as you feel frustrated and just enjoy the story. use those two first chapters to get an idea what this game's trying to say and then pretend you're playing the rest of the game this way

it's a pretty decent game if you play it like that imo

Teggy

Wait a minute.

That's right,

Today it's

That's right,

That thing changes all the time. A few days ago it said 4 thousand something. Currently says 10105 for me (US store).

Dying Light worth it if I never plan on buying the season pass or any dlc full stop? Also, can you just join random games, or do you need to join friends?

Jawmuncher

Dying Light worth it if I never plan on buying the season pass or any dlc full stop? Also, can you just join random games, or do you need to join friends?

I didn't buy any DLC and loved the base game.
Dunno about the online never did that. But it's a coop game so joining ransoms before you beat it might not be fun.

zkylon

zkylewd
you can set it to public/friends only/singleplayer/etc.

i've had it on friends only so far tho not sure why since i don't like multiplayer

also dunno about the season pass, i generally feel like buying a season pass for a game you haven't played is a bad idea since you don't know if the game's gonna gel with you

dunno the business sense of buying the game and then the season pass, but the currently released dlc doesn't seem worth having at all

Teggy

You have control over who you want in the online and if they need permission to join. IIRC it works similar to Dead Island in that it will tell you if there are people nearby in your level and story progression.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
how is FF8 on steam ? good as FF7 ?

It has a magic booster like like the level boost from 7 and some new features to speed the game up or cheat but it's very much the original pc version with the added bonus of having it actually work on modern cards. Something which had to be done with a fan made patch on the older version.

You'll also need to download the ogg bgm mod before playing since it uses crappy midi versions. There are some other mods for it too but overall it's not a release SE put much effort into.

It also has chocobo world which is a minigame that the original needed but it was never released in NA or EU.

impact

Banned
Alice: Madness Returns is fantastic, although the platforming isn't particularly challenging.

I wouldn't even call it good and I own it on PC and PS3. Just because it's one of the "best" 3D platformers on Steam doesn't mean it's good. Beggars can't be choosers I know but with emulation being a thing you don't really have to limit yourself to the PC platform.

But seriously Rayman 2 on GOG if you want an actual good 3D platformer for the PC. Even has a 16:9 hack!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1161002.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Azure Dream, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Absconding Zatwor -- MB-BA4AB98DD8E3C68C
Oniken -- MB-DD00AE10CB6676F7 - Taken by baconcow. 4 entrants total.
Velvet Assassin -- MB-F40C3DF2942C50CE - Taken by PenDynasty. 3 entrants total.
Legendary -- MB-7F10BD41EA4625A8 - Taken by Human_me. 6 entrants total.

t1451609253z1.png

I used the gift links on Gala, hopefully that doesn't cause a problem.

I didn't buy any DLC and loved the base game.
Dunno about the online never did that. But it's a coop game so joining ransoms before you beat it might not be fun.

You have control over who you want in the online and if they need permission to join. IIRC it works similar to Dead Island in that it will tell you if there are people nearby in your level and story progression.

Thanks, I might get it.

you can set it to public/friends only/singleplayer/etc.

i've had it on friends only so far tho not sure why since i don't like multiplayer

also dunno about the season pass, i generally feel like buying a season pass for a game you haven't played is a bad idea since you don't know if the game's gonna gel with you

dunno the business sense of buying the game and then the season pass, but the currently released dlc doesn't seem worth having at all

It's just I recall Giant Bomb mentioning something about the game (or season pass) going up in price because of the amount of content in one of the upcoming updates. My memory is bad and can't remember what they were on about though. I don't tend to buy season passes at all.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's just I recall Giant Bomb mentioning something about the game (or season pass) going up in price because of the amount of content in one of the upcoming updates. My memory is bad and can't remember what they were on about though. I don't tend to buy season passes at all.
there's an actual upcoming dlc that is like new story and new areas and stuff that's maybe gonna be a bit more deserving of the money but the things out right now sound super lame and for 30 bucks (that's actually more than the game costs right now) you should just wait

it's not like the game is that good anyways

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Man, I'm conflicted on whether or not I want to get a Steam controller or some games I want, I kind of think I should wait on the Steam controller until some of the bugs have been worked out but I don't know. Thinking about SOMA and maybe Rebel Galaxy?
Steam controller is incredible, buy it

Uzzy

Sunless sea
Satellite reign

Oh yes, Satellite Reign has an amazing atmosphere. It's a beautifully detailed cyberpunk city, streets soaked with rain, neon and chrome, oppressive police at every corner, a disparate population that just feeds into the sense of alienation. It's so good. Great soundtrack too, with pieces by the likes of Perturbator and Protector 101.

neonglow

Here's a bunch of Desura codes from various Humble Bundles if anyone is interested.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 0 Steam keys and 5 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (neonglow, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

ulgzbKC.png
Humble Indie Bundle #2 (Desura) -- MB-525B24B8CA45F78F - Taken by Nudull. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Dungeons of Dredmor (Desura) -- MB-7B5407C1DDC6F613 - Taken by GamingOblivion. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Humble Introversion Bundle (Desura) -- MB-2F5EFFBD94A6D709 - Taken by Giggity_Dude. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Humble Indie Bundle #3 (Desura) -- MB-A5F41D94183B1DF5 - Taken by ShinUltramanJ. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Humble Frozenbyte Bundle (Desura) -- MB-077827D16AC571F3 - Taken by pikiberumen. 1 entrants total.

t1451601093z1.png

Diedac

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Dustoff Heli Rescue -- MB-B3333E3969BA1692 - Taken by OmarYusaf
Strata -- MB-9B49C524EF06A424 - Taken by Polishin8r

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom