• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

Hadn't played Underworld but didn't Legend have a plot to it or something? I never finished Anniversary myself (planning to, one day) but it was a remake so it probably had what little minimal plot it carried over.

Sadly I think the TR reboot is part of the current philosophy of game design where you have to drive the player forward with conflict. Which I suppose is actually not current, it's always been there, just not really with the older TR games as far as I know. I think it its quiet moments ROTTR does a lot of stuff right.

I don't mind the lack of isolationalism because clearly they were never going to design for a game where all you do is platform around large environmental puzzles because I just don't think that's where the audience is anymore, at least in the AAA space. And let's be honest, that kind of stuff is just linear anyway whereas designers keep pushing toward the open world/hub-world style design, 'stages' like you see in old TR games are more rare these days. It's sad but true but I do appreciate what they did manage to get into ROTTR that wasn't main story content, because that's much more enjoyable stuff, like the tombs and some of the side content.

I mean if you even read gaming side here look how much time is spent on pages and pages of posts complaining about what combat in which game is better and people still scoff at games with either minimal combat mechanics or a lack of it. You know, those "not games" and all that.

Story goes from Anniversary to Legend to Underworld as far as I remember. I agree that audience is there anymore for AAA TR game based on older TR games. But they went to the extremes with encounters in Reboot and now in RotTR. I know that we won't get TR game that is exploration only anymore but I wish that we will get TR game that is a bit more balanced toward the adventure.

I love open HUBs that Reboot introduced and RotTR improved. I love to explore them and find all secrets without map in them. When I am doing that I feel adventure spirit in game and I love it. But as soon I start to follow story they are pushing waves and waves of enemies and I can't wait to finish those sections because they are really boring to me.

It's February here already though.. :p

Happy February for all, it's time for classic JRPG goodness, Disgaea, Tales of Symphonia and Final Fantasy IX.

Dsyndrome

Darkest Dungeon runs for five seconds and then quits, never instantiates a new window; anybody else have this issue recently? Haven't found anything clearcut in the Steam forums.

It's goddamn Nahimic? WTF.

Firehead

rKp8PF2.png
Damn, that looks amazing! I'm so much more exited about this game than RCTWorld.... Just can't trust Atari.

Anno

I know it was a preview build but it wasn't encouraging seeing that many bugs/laggy reactions this close to release. I'll admit I laughed when the guy reloaded his sword.

Yeah that was quite strange, especially so having not seen anything nearly as bad in any of the other gameplay I've watched, which has been a ton. I fully expect there to still be a bit of that and for the camera pans to look odd once in awhile, but it'll be a real bummer if it ships with delays like that and isn't quickly patched. They didn't seem overly concerned, though, so maybe they were just playing on an old build.

Hello everyone! Just posting after taking a hiatus from gaming. Gaming before was a way to relax myself, to not think about RL stuff. But with OJT in the psych ward on Mon - Fri then review for the board exam classes on Sat-Sun, gaming became a chore. So far not thinking about buying the latest game and just buying games that I genuinely want made me relax abit. Atleast I'm spared from day one bugs and issues, and the wallet is happier too.
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
My beef with steam is that they are really pushing that mobile auth thing on me. I don't want that since I had previous bad experiences with those. One of those is that I've lost access to my blizzard account since my phone was stolen. And the customer service rep didn't believe me when I tried to show him my ID a few months later just to gain access to it.
Mobile theft is also high in my country, and I'm just on a prepaid mobile sim. Losing my previous number (w/ my phone) to theft really made me wary of connecting my phone to these services. In the past two years, I've already lost 3 phones so I've gone back to a phone w/ physical keypads to deter theft.

It sucks that every trade I do has a 24 hour lock, and other stuff so really irks me now.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
CS: GO player releases fake hack and purposely gets 3,000+ cheaters VAC banned

A Reddit user has managed to get over 3,000 CS: GO players VAC banned by releasing a bunch of fake multihacks over the course of two weeks.

As well as extending cheaters' in-game viewing angles and supplying a constant stream of ammo and health, these multihacks also did a few other things behind the scenes to make sure a VAC ban was received.

"The first two releases had a "timer" in them which meant the features that instantly VAC banned them would only be activated after a certain time (e.g. 10 PM on the day after the release)," writes Redditor AndroidL. "the final hack (with over 3.5k downloads) just instantly VAC bans them as soon as they open the hack and join a game."

These honeytrap hacks released by AnroidL received 26,000+ views and 5,500+ downloads in total, leading to the banning of over 3,000 accounts.

If you want to see some of the salty responses, check out this Imgur album of a selection of 'victims' complaining. Some of them are pretty funny, especially the one who says the person who created the hack owes them money.

Here's a lovely graph with the VAC ban stats:

GFeM4fi.jpg

"The first release received approximately 1k downloads, which contributed to the bans for those two days," says AndroidL of the stats. "The second release received approximately 1k downloads, too, which contributed to stopping the downwards trends on the number of bans received.

"The third release received 3.5k+ downloads which had a very noticeable affect on bans for the following week (this one instantly banned them as soon as it was opened, 3,500+ downloads = 3,500+ bans)."

What do you lot make of this? Is AndroidL the hero non-cheaters deserve, or should it be left to Valve to clean up their game? Let us know in the comments.

Annubis

BTW, why isn't SteamGAF playing DFO?
They even have a class that plays like a clicker... i.e. a click hero.

You have to get a character to 70 to unlock it though... but if you join now, there's a crazy event for leveling up. I got to level 52 in 4 days and I stockpiled all the XP potions given to use them at higher level.

Dsyndrome

Brushing aside my save-scumming in XCOM, who plays with Corpses and Heart Attacks in Darkest Dungeon? I realize they're a point of contention, haven't disabled them as of yet.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Uh oh Gaf, I fucked up!

I bought XCom 2 on Nuuvem back in December because I saw none of the depot's were brazil locked and i thought I'd get my key instantly.

Since then, they've added not just activation restrictions, but PLAY restrictions to a Brazil only branch. I reached out to Nuuvem yesterday seeing if I can get a refund since keys weren't released yet/ seeing if their versions were ROW.

Too bad, but unless you're in Brazil or are comfortable using a VPN on every launch I don't recommend getting XCom 2 from Nuuvem.

Is anybody here from Brazil that can help me out in getting Xcom 2 from Nuuvem?

Read the above bud. Stellar timing btw.

MUnited83

For you.
Uh oh Gaf, I fucked up!

I bought XCom 2 on Nuuvem back in December because I saw none of the depot's were brazil locked and i thought I'd get my key instantly.

Since then, they've added not just activation restrictions, but PLAY restrictions to a Brazil only branch. I reached out to Nuuvem yesterday seeing if I can get a refund since keys weren't released yet/ seeing if their versions were ROW.

Too bad, but unless you're in Brazil or are comfortable using a VPN on every launch I don't recommend getting XCom 2 from Nuuvem.

Read the above bud. Stellar timing btw.
Nuuvem said that they will provide ROW keys for people that preordered it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom