• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuraya

Kinda thinking of subbing to EA Acess for a month just to give it a spin. Can't not be worth $5, right??

Its a great value right now but you should wait till September. They gonna add Titanfall 2 and BF1 to the vault. or sub now and sub again in sept. Either way EA access is great. I've subbed on n off for a good 4-5 months now. Almost always have a good time with it.

Man I've had the Unexplored main menu theme stuck in my head for days. (The first song in the video is the one--can't find the full track standalone.) I think that's the first time a game's full OST hasn't been on YouTube, that I've checked; kinda used to YouTube having everything... Feels strange.

It's fortunate that the soundtrack is sold on Steam.

Jesus christ, my boss is such an asshole.
He's lazy as fuck and doesn't like to get up early which causes him to be late to meetings in the morning.
A few days ago we had a meeting with a client at 9am which is my normal starting hour but occasionally my job requires me start way earlier which I do without ever expecting any compensation.
Anyway, when I arrived at 9 the client was already there but my boss was nowhere to be found. Now keep in mind that this client has me in very high esteem (he's gone out of his way to tell me exactly that and has also implied that he'd like to have me work for him in the future).
As soon as I arrived he asked me if I wouldn't come to the meeting at an earlier hour if necessary. I said that I obviously would and asked why he was asking me that.
He said that he needed to be somewhere at 12 (a 1 hour trip from our location) and that on the previous night he called my boss to ask if we could have the meeting at 8 instead. My boss replied that it would require asking me to come in an hour earlier, so it wasn't possible.
He's asked me to be at work at 6 am on previous occasions, but of course those times it wasn't necessary for him to be there.
He turned up at 9:15.

Aaron D.

Man I've had the Unexplored main menu theme stuck in my head for days. (The first song in the video is the one--can't find the full track standalone.) I think that's the first time a game's full OST hasn't been on YouTube, that I've checked; kinda used to YouTube having everything... Feels strange.

It's fortunate that the soundtrack is sold on Steam.

I'm sure you already know this but the Soundtrack and all DLC updates are FREE when you buy the base game.

Damn I love Unexplored.

Sitting at the top of my GOTY list atm.

Kudo

I really should buy Unexplored, it hits all the right spots for me.
Kind of reminds me of Dungeons of Dredmor.

Madventure

Dunno who else plays Rust but they did their weekly update today and they showed off one of the things they've been been working on and it's looking to be another PVE type encounter with a Bradley APC
Should hopefully be like the Helicopter that's already in game. This one would supposedly hang out around their newly implemented (And also awesome Launch Site monument)
fe3b082aac9b.jpg
9e2695e5d2a1.jpg

Jesus christ, my boss is such an asshole.
He's lazy as fuck and doesn't like to get up early which causes him to be late to meetings in the morning.
A few days ago we had a meeting with a client at 9am which is my normal starting hour but occasionally my job requires me start way earlier which I do without ever expecting any compensation.
Anyway, when I arrived at 9 the client was already there but my boss was nowhere to be found. Now keep in mind that this client has me in very high esteem (he's gone out of his way to tell me exactly that and has also implied that he'd like to have me work for him in the future).
As soon as I arrived he asked me if I wouldn't come to the meeting at an earlier hour if necessary. I said that I obviously would and asked why he was asking me that.
He said that he needed to be somewhere at 12 (a 1 hour trip from our location) and that on the previous night he called my boss to ask if we could have the meeting at 8 instead. My boss replied that it would require asking me to come in an hour earlier, so it wasn't possible.
He's asked me to be at work at 6 am on previous occasions, but of course those times it wasn't necessary for him to be there.
He turned up at 9:15.

The Steam thread is a very appropriate place to vent :p

(Genuinely sorry to hear though - sounds really shit)

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Arkkoran, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Arkkoran, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
DiRT Rally -- MB-708D1400174FA6F1 - Taken by hardcastlemccormick. 7 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
DmC: Devil May Cry -- MB-92AA1D2AA902705E - Taken by kionedrik. 6 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
Tropico 5 -- MB-A6BD16F57D6C04D6 - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 9 entrants total.
Plague Inc: Evolved -- MB-F0D443886B8847DF - Taken by Purkake4. 8 entrants total.
Strider -- MB-748ABB4A5D1A47D1 - Taken by fallout. 2 entrants total.

t1499985608z1.png

I'm sure you already know this but the Soundtrack and all DLC updates are FREE when you buy the base game.

Damn I love Unexplored.

Sitting at the top of my GOTY list atm.

Oh, it's free! For some reason I thought it was extra.

For most games it's extra...
I really should buy Unexplored, it hits all the right spots for me.
Kind of reminds me of Dungeons of Dredmor.

It's a fantastic roguelike with amazing dev support, but do note that it's real-time, not turn-based.

Also the player is a cylcops. Which is almost as bad as Dredmore's bushy eyebrows thing.

Ladekabel

The rng in Solitairica is not kind to me. Upgraded a deck fully but the heart of the cards is not with me. If it doesn't change in the next runs I might call it done. Losing doesn't feel good if your enemy damages you non-stop and you can't get your combos because the game decided so.

Caved in and ordered a Rift! Any VR recommendations on Steam?

Google Earth VR
SUPERHOT VR
Batman: Arkham VR
Space Pirate Trainer
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

All awesome experiences. You have to weed through a lot of budget VR titles that may not even work properly but there are some good ones out there.

House of the Dying Sun

Google Earth VR
SUPERHOT VR
Batman: Arkham VR
Space Pirate Trainer
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

All awesome experiences. You have to weed through a lot of budget VR titles that may not even work properly but there are some good ones out there.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those! I got Keep Talking during the sale, so I'll totally give that a shot.

Is House of the Dying Sun anything like Elite Dangerous?

And are there any VR-experiences (non-games) on Steam?

Dunno who else plays Rust but they did their weekly update today and they showed off one of the things they've been been working on and it's looking to be another PVE type encounter with a Bradley APC
Should hopefully be like the Helicopter that's already in game. This one would supposedly hang out around their newly implemented (And also awesome Launch Site monument)
This is from Rust, the caveman simulator? I didn't think they would get this far from log forts. Is it still grief based, or is there more of a game beyond the meta now?

Madventure

This is from Rust, the caveman simulator? I didn't think they would get this far from log forts. Is it still grief based, or is there more of a game beyond the meta now?

Yeah it's from that one. Still pretty much a grief simulator, but it's fun with friends! So you can share your grief with them and everyone can be miserable together!

There was an awesome RE clone on Saturn called Deep Fear.
Last game I bought for the system back in the day. Can't believe it's been almost 20 years.

Eila

On my new laptop I keep getting the "Could not connect to the Steam Network error" for some reason. It's only worked once.
Anyone has a clue why this could be happening? The firewall has steam as an exception.

I just finished the campaign mode in The Flame in the Flood. I was told not to let it sit in my backlog, so I went right to it. And here we go!

The story: You play a nameless female traveller in a post-apocalyptic area of what used to be small-town America (based on what little dialogue there is, guessing the south) and is now a flooding archipelago in the middle of raging rapids. At the start, you're in a campground and a dog approaches you with a backpack containing a radio. You can't quite make it out, so you seek out higher ground. There are other missions after that, naturally, but I won't spoil. Along the way, you have to survive as best you can. You meet characters here and there, you find quilts that tell stories of inhabitants and make reference to "The Evac" (but why you didn't evacuate is unclear,) but most of the story is fill-in-the-blanks. Part Fallout, part Waterworld, and you're there.

While the story is largely up to your own imagination to figure out what happened, it's not bad.

The music: Holy shit. The soundtrack is amazing. It's not quite country, not quite rock, it's similar to that era in rock when Bon Jovi and the like all wanted to be cowboys. Lots of guitar, harmonica and fiddle. Some are upbeat, driving songs for the rapids sections, others are more subdued for the calm water sections, and there are some eerie instrumentals for the land segments. It's all really well done, and part of me wonders if they didn't build the game around the soundtrack instead of vice-versa.

The graphics: Highly stylistic and angular. The characters themselves have a bit of a surreal, creepy look to them. The protagonist's face changes as things get worse for her, and even if she's at full health, she has this haunted look to her. It's a little off-putting, but you get used to it. I'd still call the graphics good.

The gameplay: The campaign mode has two settings: one that has checkpoints, allowing you to go back either one or two checkpoints when you die (I assume just in case you started one checkpoint in horrible shape;) and the other with permadeath. The checkpoint campaign was recommended for new players, so I went with that. I died five times: once from drowning before the first checkpoint - the raft took too many hits and broke up. So I restarted and managed to make a checkpoint after that. Then I was gored by a boar, died of my snakebite while I collapsed from exhaustion, drowned again (this one was fucking bullshit though, I just left the dock and it continued to crash into the same dock, so I couldn't avoid it,) and then I was mauled by a bear. So there is definitely some difficulty there, and I can certainly imagine that in permadeath mode people would be in serious trouble. But near the end (I'd say shortly after defeating the bear that killed me,) I had food for days, plenty of jars of clean water, a shelter on my raft so I could sleep in it...I probably could have sailed right through to the end if I didn't crash too much.

There were some things I wish I had learned earlier: how to make a spear trap, for one. Holy hell are they useful. Making tainted bait is also a great idea. If I had known about those earlier I probably wouldn't have collapsed from exhaustion that one time: I was looking for a shelter and every island I ran into had animals right by the entrance so I had to nope out of there, being unarmed. (You can make tools like a stone hammer and a steel knife, but no, there's no melee attacking.) I also learned way too late that you get feathers by shooing the crows away. I'd gone half the game without any arrows. By then I'd been relying on spear traps.

There is an RNG element to the game, as in most roguelikes, but when you have to craft instead of just pick ready-to-go stuff up, it gets quite different. You need a workbench to make metal tools and leather kits for better armours, but sometimes they're few and far between. Raft upgrades and repairs require either lumber or nuts and bolts, but often times you'll have lots of one and none of the other. Some of the crafting is a bit wonky: I get why stronger animals will make stronger skin/hide armours, but why do pouches and leather kits require only rabbit? Why can't I make a leather kit with a wolfskin or a boar pouch?

Also, there are some bugs in the game. As I mentioned, sometimes the controls are off: when that means your raft crashes, and you're playing in permadeath mode, you'll get pretty pissed off. At times, I had to move around a bit to activate something with the right click. A couple of times my character started running down without any input from me - luckily, the dock is almost always down so I could run to safety, but I can totally see a time you can permadie because of that.

One final protip: Get a rudder and the sturdier frame for your raft ASAP, but don't bother buying the motor for your raft. I thought I could use it to finally motor against the current so I could land at more docks that I'd normally miss. NOPE. Not even the motor could fight the current. It only makes you slightly faster than paddling, and a lot of the time it'll just make you go in circles. You'd think something that required a limited resource like gas would be at least a LITTLE useful.

The length: Steam profile says 10 hours flat, but I left it on while I went to lunch, so it's probably 9 1/2, but that's just for the easy campaign. I imagine there's a lot of replayability (and a lot of frustration) in permadeath mode. Unsure how repetitive it would feel.

The verdict: While not perfect, I really dug the campaign. I'd recommend it. It's less complicated than most survival games, but it's got its fair share of danger. While it feels like there's no in-between between easy and hard, it does have appeal for players of all skill sets. But all I need is food and water; set me free.

Freezard

Why does isthereanydeal keep sending me emails about -0% sales? This is weird. I have set it to only email me about lowest deal.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Resident Evil 6 -- MB-87001D6AF64F6FA3 - Taken by Se7enSword. 9 entrants total.

t1500000504z1.png

Just started playing Resident Evil 6 for the first time, FINALLY. I'm a pretty big fan of both RE4 and RE5, but I just never got around to playing 6.

Unsure of the game so far, after about 1.5 hours. It's enjoyable enough, and completely ridiculous (which I'm pretty much always on board for). It feels a bit difficult at times, even though I'm only playing on Normal difficulty. I started with Chris's campaign, not sure if that was the right choice or not haha

So far it doesn't feel like Resident Evil, but I've heard that before and expected it. That it's a "good action game", but not a "good Resident Evil game". My initial impressions place it well below RE4 and RE5, but I'm only a little bit into one of the campaigns so it's way too early to call.

Any tips for me at this point? Any upgrades to focus on or things to look out for?

Just started playing Resident Evil 6 for the first time, FINALLY. I'm a pretty big fan of both RE4 and RE5, but I just never got around to playing 6.

Unsure of the game so far, after about 1.5 hours. It's enjoyable enough, and completely ridiculous (which I'm pretty much always on board for). It feels a bit difficult at times, even though I'm only playing on Normal difficulty. I started with Chris's campaign, not sure if that was the right choice or not haha

So far it doesn't feel like Resident Evil, but I've heard that before and expected it. That it's a "good action game", but not a "good Resident Evil game". My initial impressions place it well below RE4 and RE5, but I'm only a little bit into one of the campaigns so it's way too early to call.

Any tips for me at this point? Any upgrades to focus on or things to look out for?

I would say you should have played in order, Leon, Chris, Sherry, Ada. But I did the same as you and started Chris. It's fine in the end but it will be pretty jarring to see them tease a slower game at the start and go off the rails action in other characters lol.

Not really any tips other than use the movement options in this game, the dive, crawl shot ect. Upgrades are whatever you want really for campaign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom