• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wild Guns Reloaded looks gorgeous, never played a game like it tho so it's a bit hard to get used to dealing with the reticle being tied to movement.

MaxiLive

finished shadow complex remastered, that was fun.

only 22 games done this year tho .__.

That is still a fair few games! I'm at like 6 games complete but I don't tend to play many lengthy single player experiences or games that tend to have an end.

Sonic 2 was the last game I finished :eek: I'm currently playing through them during my lunch breaks and I'm really enjoying the nostalgia but Sonic 3 has felt hit and miss for me some of the levels feel really drawn out and I've had quite a few glitches. The biggest part of Sonic 3 is that a lot of the challenge seems to be the bosses are so much easier and the general amount of rings/power ups seem more common. Still enjoying it though!

duppolo

who of you dont have unexplored? buy it!
also: i need an unexplored topic, cause i cant do many thing in it and i want to sharing our experience, but im not as tat as one who can do an Official Topic...did someone want?

Lain

Humble Bundle posted info about region locks on current Capcom bundle, and this is some next level fuckery - https://support.humblebundle.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010253207 Crapcom are goddamn insane when it comes to region locks.

Due to licensing restrictions this bundle is not available for purchase in Japan.

Resident Evil 6

"RU + CIS (Exclusive Countries): AM, AZ, BY, GE, KZ, KG, MD, RU, TJ, TM, UZ, UA, LV, LT, EE, AT, BE, BG, CY, CZ, DK, GB, EE, FI, FR, DE, GS, GR, HU, IS, IE, IM, IT, JE, LV, LI, LT, LU, MT, NL, NO, PL, PT, RO, SK, SI, ES, SE
Germany (Exclusive Country): DE
RoW (BLOCKED Countries): AM, AZ, BY, GE, KZ, KG, MD, RU, TJ, TM, UZ, UA, LV, LT, EE, AT, BE, BG, CY, CZ, DK, GB, EE, FI, FR, DE, GS, GR, HU, IS, IE, IM, IT, JE, LV, LI, LT, LU, MT, NL, NO, PL, PT, RO, SK, SI, ES, SE, DE

Why is Europe in the RU + CIS for RE6? Weird.

Why every Japanese dev/pub hates their own country when it comes to PC gaming? Weird.

Nabs

Maybe old, but The Swapper-creators have a new game coming. Been in "secret development for 4 years":
https://twitter.com/facepalmgames/status/885536739720343552

Not just the Swapper guys, but also the devs behind Crayon Physics and Environmental Station Alpha. That's some collection of talent.

Nolla Games Website | Twitter

nolla-games-logo-480x270.gif

In-engine footage.

Tizoc

Wild Guns Reloaded looks gorgeous, never played a game like it tho so it's a bit hard to get used to dealing with the reticle being tied to movement.

Well Blue Estate is a game of a similar genre.
There are various arcade game that are of the 'shooting gallery' genre as well such as
Nam 1975
Blood Bros.

data

Does anyone know why the steam grid layout thing keeps resetting the size? i did the thing so there's no spacing, and when I set them it always resets when I go to another category or restart steam.

Why is Europe in the RU + CIS for RE6? Weird.

Why every Japanese dev/pub hates their own country when it comes to PC gaming? Weird.

Sega is the same with the total war sale. Wont let me view the page from Japan. Basically I have to buy from Steam. Technically I shouldn't be able to do that either but I still can.

Its not even to combat reverse importing since the games are not even available in Japan. They are just being assholes.

CA are owned by a Japanese company and Shogun 2 Japanese voice acting is done by non native speakers.

look at this filth. 200 dollars for used cds.

エンパイア: トータル ウォー 日本語版 https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B002ZNKTEC/

SEGA would make a gundam total war game and not release it in Japan.

Not just the Swapper guys, but also the devs behind Crayon Physics and Environmental Station Alpha. That's some collection of talent.

Nolla Games Website | Twitter

In-engine footage.

I remember playing an old flash game that looked similar to what's happening in that video.
You could create a bunch of different materials and watch them interact with each other in semi-realistic ways. A more fleshed out version of that would be pretty cool.
Edit: Found it, it was called powder/dust game. Looks like it's been receiving some updates over the years!

Lain

Grabbed Soulslayer because I really like the character art, plus it made me think a bit about The Queen´s Flower manga which I love, though Yao Xiu is nothing like Aki.

ss_2ca3cdd9e0a4c33efc14e92acea8c5b770f2f308.1920x1080.jpg
87ee5f54090465c4311de21fd8bbc7f126ef7130.jpg

Example of the character art from the store page and a card I got

So far I made it to the bad end by making some bad choices. The English translation leaves something to be desired (some words seem to be missing here and there) but the atmosphere isn't bad and the investigation side with the 3 chances is interesting.

So far I made it to the bad end by making some bad choices

That's the mark of a good game: by making bad choices plural, you get to the bad ending. Far too many games ignore all your choices up until the ending, where you're essentially asked "which ending would you like?"

kionedrik

I've been working my way through my backlog and I'm quite happy with the "productivity" of the last month. Most of these games aren't super hard or time consuming but it's mostly a testament to my self-commitment to finish games before buying more. So far 48 in 2017.

- The Room & The Room Two: They are puzzle games where you're stuck in a room with a "box" and have to open that "box". There's an underlying story that's somewhat interesting even though it seems to be an afterthought. Overall, I enjoyed them quite a lot although I think the first game is better than the second, simply because the puzzles are more self-contained and not as spread out throughout the room as in the second.

- Stories: Path of Destinies: Loved it and think it's one of the best things released last year.

- Victor Vran: I can't say I enjoyed it but I'm not sure if it was my or the game's fault. Basically I don't enjoy these ARPG loot-fest games like Diablo, Borderlands or Torchlight, I honestly think they shouldn't even be called RPGs at all, but every now and then I try a new one to see if I can get some enjoyment from it. This one was entertaining for 1h, after that the mind-numbing gameplay loop started to feel tiresome, but I ended finishing it since it wasn't that long.

- Offspring Fling!: It's a good platformer but it felt redundant when compared with Super Meat Boy. Everything it did SMB did better but it is worthy of a playthrough.

- The Final Station: An interesting game that's not what it looks like. It's not a rogue-like, it doesn't have permadeath, the levels aren't randomized and the survival aspect is very basic. You play as a train driver in a desolate world where a second calamity is about to happen. When traveling between stations you're tasked with keeping your passengers fed and healthy and your train utilities running, in a gameplay loop similar to those "manage a dinner" games. When you arrive at a station the gameplay changes to a 2D Resident Evil kind of game, you have to find a code that'll allow to move forward and scavenge for parts, meds and food while being chased by victims of the most recent calamity. It's an interesting spin on the survival genre and I ended up really liking it.

- Poncho: A pretty puzzle platformer with an interesting gimmick (you move between foreground and background planes) that feels barebones throughout. It's not bad but it's very basic to be good.

- Road to Ballhalla: Simple, brutal and funny. It's challenging enough without ever being frustrating and never feels stale due to the large number of different mechanics and gimmicks it has.

- A Story About My Uncle: First person platformers are always something very hard to do but this game manages to do it quite well. Sadly the other half of the game, and what I believe was what the developer intended to be the main driving force of the game, the story and characters, weren't memorable or interesting.

- Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack: Enjoyable and simple platformer. It's extremely easy but the story, characters and sound design are funny enough to keep you entertained.

Vlad

I spent an inordinate number of hours playing aroud with this years ago: http://powdertoy.co.uk/

I remember playing an old flash game that looked similar to what's happening in that video.
You could create a bunch of different materials and watch them interact with each other in semi-realistic ways. A more fleshed out version of that would be pretty cool.
Edit: Found it, it was called powder/dust game. Looks like it's been receiving some updates over the years!

Oh yeah, I was seriously hooked on stuff like this back when they started getting popular.

One of my favorites was something called OE-Cake that actually rendered the particles as an actual fluid, which was great fun, even at the ~10 fps that my machine was capable of.

I'd always wished that more people did some more proper game-related stuff with things like this, so I'm really jazzed to see what Nolla does with the concept.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Shadow Complex is awesome, one of my favorite Metroidvania games after probably SOTN and Super Metroid. I'm glad the remaster happened so that a lot more people can play it now and it isn't stuck on a dead console.

I'm getting ready to finish my 20th game
Ever Oasis on the 3DS
so I know how you feel about this year's game challenge. I've mostly been focusing on HUGE games so it's not likely I'll complete this year's challenge for the first time since I started doing it in 2014. But I've played (and finished) some great games like Final Fantasy XV, Dragon Quest Heroes II, Watch_Dogs2, Dead Rising 4, Breath of the Wild, Mass Effect: Andromeda, The Elder Scrolls Online Morrowind, and Oblivion. And I've just started Final Fantasy XII a few days ago so there goes another 100 hours. On the PC front, I'm about half way finished with Hidden Folks and part of the way through Paint it Back.

Arthea

Grabbed Soulslayer because I really like the character art, plus it made me think a bit about The Queen´s Flower manga which I love, though Yao Xiu is nothing like Aki.

So far I made it to the bad end by making some bad choices. The English translation leaves something to be desired (some words seem to be missing here and there) but the atmosphere isn't bad and the investigation side with the 3 chances is interesting.

It indeed looks nice, I should wishlist it
and you say it's interesting, cool

Having hard time getting into Stellaris. I'm big fan of Paradox grand strategy games but this one is too confusing for me now. My main issue is completely dreadful results on military field, on my second try i created race with huge military boosts in ethics and traits, constantly upgraded my ships, even picked supremacy traditions, but still constantly getting my ass kicked by empires with same amount of worlds. At diplomacy screen i see that we have "same" military power, but after starting the war against those goddamn xenos they bringing twice more ships than i have. I know that it'll probably require more than 2 tries to understand how everything works in this game, but it's still little annoying that there is no proper tutorial. Also, i don't like that they for some reasons locked ability to manually save in mode with achievements, i can understand why cheats not available, but locking saves is little too much.

neoemonk

Have there been some changes to Fallout 4 lately? I've noticed some people playing it regularly on my friends list. I never got that far into it and have thought about going back from time to time.

Have there been some changes to Fallout 4 lately? I've noticed some people playing it regularly on my friends list. I never got that far into it and have thought about going back from time to time.

I'm personally playing it because it doesn't need a lot of brain cells to play, you just explore and shoot and from time to time have a meaningless conversation.

Wow, this sounds interesting. Especially liked graphic style, remind me of Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines

Aaron D.

Heh. I mentioned it a couple pages back but I only recently learned of the High Resolution Texture Pack update and installed it last month.

I've since dropped close to 100 fresh hours into my launch game save. It's been a complete joy. I also picked up the Season Pass @ -50% somewhere in that window.

Perhaps the Steam Summer Sale could account for all the current players as the base game & Pass were really cheap.

Also installed some QoL mods for the first time and it's really enhanced my current run.

- Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch
- More Smarter Companions Mod
- Everyone's Best Friend (Dogmeat + Companion At Same Time)
- K-9 Harness - Tactical Body Armor And Backpack For Dogmeat
- Alert Carry - Lower Your Weapons
- Highlighting Enemy, Corpses And Friends (I only use it for corpse highlights.)
- Improved Map With Visible Roads
- Faster Terminal Displays
- Atomic Radio
- Vivid Weathers - A Weather Mod And Climate Overhaul (GORGEOUS and varied sky boxes and weather effects.)

Don't know exactly when I'm gonna burn out, having put in so many hours over the past month. But I'm no where close to getting bored and having too much fun to even care!

Lain

After spending a bit more time with Soulslayer, I'm going to say that the translation feels worse the longer I play.
It's kinda dry, stiff and some parts don't quite make too much sense which is too bad, because otherwise I like the whole conversations to gather clues and trying to stay alive to discover the culprit.

Tenrius

I'm at ELEVEN. Work and grad school have taken a massive toll on my gaming stuff. Thankfully, things got easier and I still expect to finish the year with at least 25, maybe get up to 30.

If anyone here uses backloggery, feel free to add me to your multitap! Here are my sweet stats for the past few years: http://backloggery.com/memorycard.php?user=Tenrius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom