• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2017 - Magical Pyres can't melt Cold Steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buraindo

has anyone having issues with family sharing lately? The "play" button appears correctly but nothing opens when I click it.

Yeah had the same happen to me, couldn't find a fix for it outside of re-authorising.

Been completely absent as of late. Mostly playing the usual multiplayer stuff and Elder Scrolls Online. Surprised at how much I'm enjoying the latter though. It's a nice, relaxing game. Plays like regular TES (mods aside) more or less. Combat's more fun than the main series in my opinion
not that that's especially difficult
. Some good quests. Plus it's gorgeous, Morrowind especially looks great.

Nice. Thanks for the heads up.

DataGhost

You have puzzles that need to be completed and you can choose many different abilities for your character.
No matter what you chose, every puzzle can be completed in some way.

Is this like Academagia?

I'm always interested in Fantasy School Simulators and I haven't found many like Academagia. This does look interesting though

XSEED is gonna stream Zwei II today. I believe when they streamed the english Trails in the Sky 3rd game for the first time they also revealed the date of release so crossing my fingers for release date news today.

Tizoc

The player may have lost but there was a keyboard SF5 player a few minutes ago.
He did fine all things considered. Would've been great if he'd won though XO

Seriously, WTF is wrong with Stellaris AI? Started 3rd playthrough, this time everything seemed fine, every nearby civilizations was peaceful and had same army power. There was one aliens that hated me for some reasons and immediately closed borders with my civilization, but i didn't cared because there was another civ between me and them. And someday, those fuckers suddenly declared war, invaded my territories with army twice more powerful than my fleet and captured few my planets. Okay, shit happens, who knows why they choose exactly me and not other civs with same underpowered armies, so i started rebuilding my army to strike back. And when i was going to free my planets suddenly diplomatic screen appeared and i saw message that "you loose war and we liberated your planets". And all occupied territories turned to their colors, without even fucking asking if i agree on this peace.

What. The. FUCK. This is fucking NORMAL difficulty. LOW AGGRESSION AI. Shit like this never happened to me in any previous Paradox game, even at first playthroughs. Why every single overpowered alien targeting exactly my civ and ignoring the rest? Why i can't see a goddamn technology tree to plan how to expand faster and what to research next? What the point of factions? Why my fleet always fight like shit even with best traits and military traditions? Just why

Amzin

Seriously, WTF is wrong with Stellaris AI? Started 3rd playthrough, this time everything seemed fine, every nearby civilizations was peaceful and had same army power. There was one aliens that hated me for some reasons and immediately closed borders with my civilization, but i didn't cared because there was another civ between me and them. And someday, those fuckers suddenly declared war, invaded my territories with army twice more powerful than my fleet and captured few my planets. Okay, shit happens, who knows why they choose exactly me and not other civs with same underpowered armies, so i started rebuilding my army to strike back. And when i was going to free my planets suddenly diplomatic screen appeared and i saw message that "you loose war and we liberated your planets". And all occupied territories turned to their colors, without even fucking asking if i agree on this peace.

What. The. FUCK. This is fucking NORMAL difficulty. LOW AGGRESSION AI. Shit like this never happened to me in any previous Paradox game, even at first playthroughs. Why every single overpowered alien targeting exactly my civ and ignoring the rest? Why i can't see a goddamn technology tree to plan how to expand faster and what to research next? What the point of factions? Why my fleet always fight like shit even with best traits and military traditions? Just why

You might ask around on like the Stellaris subreddit or if there's a thread here, NeoGAF. I only have a few dozen hours in it but I've never had problems like that. And I tend to go for the Star Trek style approach so I rarely have a powerful military.

Wok

I remember reading a review raising similar points, but I cannot find it because the summer sale happened.

Purkake4

Banned

I just gave up until they make the game both playable and fun.

Warhammer Quest is strangely addicting. It's a simple TBS/board game, but it works really well. Combat is fun; there are enough skills and loot to keep things interesting, but never too complex; main quests are well written and interesting; and you can grind for levels and gold forever, thanks to randomly generated quests.

5655BB9EF0031092DB889DEB5B01757A0F15196F

Of course, there is a finite number of mission descriptions for the randomly generated quests, but after 50 hours in the game, I keep seeing new content. A man in a bar talks about a certain amulet in a dungeon, someone complains about giant spiders nearby, a shopkeeper is kidnapped... you can tell the devs worked hard on this one.

The game has some negative reviews in Steam due to the DLC and pricing scheme. The Deluxe edition is the one you want, but it's too expensive right now. I got this really cheap on a sale; if you're interested, wishlist it and buy it when the price is right.

Part of the dev team created a new team called Perchang, and they're currently working on Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times for mobile platforms. I hope they announce a PC port soon.

Tonton

What's more likely, before or after Cold Steel?

If Zwei gets a date before Cold Steel it's probably before it, neither are going to have their date announced with a lot of advance I imagine (probably 3-4 weeks)

I just hope they aren't too close to each other or to Ys VIII

dex3108

Those Blomkamp shorts are great but i really don't know why he decided to use Steam for them. I have feeling that they make more money from YouTube (if they are monetizing them) than from Steam.

Given the contradictory comments about Cold Steel's launch date so far (Tom @ XSEED's saying it's still officially in July, but the Steam page says August, so...), I'm thinking Zwei II's gonna be later next month. CS PC will likely release some weeks before Zwei II in any case since it's much easier to start up and dig into a game of Zwei's length vs. Cold Steel.

Ascheroth

After playing more of Hyper Light Drifter I'm now at the 3rd boss and... I think I don't really like it.
It's certainly beautiful and the gameplay is 'good', but eh. There's something that just doesn't click. I think it's a combination of the controls not being as tight as they could be and the difficulty balancing often being more annoying than challenging, especially in combination with the former, making it rather frustrating at times.
I dunno. I'll probably finish it, but ehhh.
Or maybe it's partly because I'm getting tired. Who knows. We'll see tomorrow.

If Zwei gets a date before Cold Steel it's probably before it, neither are going to have their date announced with a lot of advance I imagine (probably 3-4 weeks)

I just hope they aren't too close to each other or to Ys VIII

Given the contradictory comments about Cold Steel's launch date so far (Tom @ XSEED's saying it's still officially in July, but the Steam page says August, so...), I'm thinking Zwei II's gonna be later next month. CS PC will likely release some weeks before Zwei II in any case since it's much easier to start up and dig into a game of Zwei's length vs. Cold Steel.
I'd probably play them simultaneously ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
1 turn-based Falcom game + 1 action Falcom game sounds like a perfect combination.

dex3108

maybe easier to sell through steam than setting up a dedicated store?

Well they are selling assets from those movies as far as i can see. So i am not sure that Steam is best place for that. There are sites like TurboSquid that sell assets like those. And second thing is why would people buy those assets? I think that it would be better for them to make series where first episode is free and people are buying rest of the season.

MUnited83

For you.
Those Blomkamp shorts are great but i really don't know why he decided to use Steam for them. I have feeling that they make more money from YouTube (if they are monetizing them) than from Steam.

He wants to promote people buying and using their assets to make their own thing or remixes of what's already there. There's a cool interview out there on his reasons for it being on Steam.

jtb

Banned
It's super easy to contain Stellaris AI. Are you like a genocidal race or something? There are certain attributes that create massive penalties to diplomacy.

The game has loads of problems. But if anything, the AI being far too tame is usually the problem with me.

What baffles me about Stellaris is how the in-game economy isn't built around trade in any way, shape or form. How is this possible? The thing that makes Paradox games so much more interesting than your typical 4X game is how you have to trade with your neighbors to sustain your economy, and it's the easiest way to create "tall" countries. It's baffling. Without any kind of trade system, the economy is way too simplistic and is basically real-time 4X, which is pointless.

dex3108

He wants to promote people buying and using their assets to make their own thing or remixes of what's already there. There's a cool interview out there on his reasons for it being on Steam.

I kinda think that giving assets away and charging for episodic releases would be better model. They would encourage people to make their own things and reach more audience at the same time. This way they are limiting their audience.

Madventure

Warhammer Quest is strangely addicting. It's a simple TBS/board game, but it works really well. Combat is fun; there are enough skills and loot to keep things interesting, but never too complex; main quests are well written and interesting; and you can grind for levels and gold forever, thanks to randomly generated quests.

Of course, there is a finite number of mission descriptions for the randomly generated quests, but after 50 hours in the game, I keep seeing new content. A man in a bar talks about a certain amulet in a dungeon, someone complains about giant spiders nearby, a shopkeeper is kidnapped... you can tell the devs worked hard on this one.

The game has some negative reviews in Steam due to the DLC and pricing scheme. The Deluxe edition is the one you want, but it's too expensive right now. I got this really cheap on a sale; if you're interested, wishlist it and buy it when the price is right.

Part of the dev team created a new team called Perchang, and they're currently working on Warhammer Quest 2: The End Times for mobile platforms. I hope they announce a PC port soon.

And my wishlist and follow list grows ever bigger

Regginator

Just finished Dark Souls III at 42 hours. Amazing journey, probably the best Souls game I've played. It slightly beats the first Dark Souls in my opinion.

DaS3 (9.5) > DaS1 (9) >> DeS (8) >>>> DaS2 (7.5)

I loved the art style and the fasted paced combat. I have to get a PS4 on the cheap for Bloodborne.

- The Room & The Room Two: They are puzzle games where you're stuck in a room with a "box" and have to open that "box". There's an underlying story that's somewhat interesting even though it seems to be an afterthought. Overall, I enjoyed them quite a lot although I think the first game is better than the second, simply because the puzzles are more self-contained and not as spread out throughout the room as in the second.

Hmmm... I avoided this game because I thought it was Myst-like (nice puzzles, but too spread out), but from your description, this looks more interesting to me. I have zero interest in the plot; I prefer great puzzles and a nice mood. Maybe I should try this?

- Victor Vran: I can't say I enjoyed it but I'm not sure if it was my or the game's fault. Basically I don't enjoy these ARPG loot-fest games like Diablo, Borderlands or Torchlight, I honestly think they shouldn't even be called RPGs at all, but every now and then I try a new one to see if I can get some enjoyment from it. This one was entertaining for 1h, after that the mind-numbing gameplay loop started to feel tiresome, but I ended finishing it since it wasn't that long.

Same here. Tried Path of Exile, Victor Vran and Torchlight I for a few hours, but grew bored quickly. However, I love the first Diablo (haven't played Diablo II, played the demo for III and found it boring).

- Offspring Fling!: It's a good platformer but it felt redundant when compared with Super Meat Boy. Everything it did SMB did better but it is worthy of a playthrough.

Man, I've had this game for years and never played it, I guess it came in a bundle... I'll take a look, since it looks like our tastes in games are similar. I'll also give Stories: Path of Destinies a try, looks cool. Thanks!

Eila

Just finished Dark Souls III at 42 hours. Amazing journey, probably the best Souls game I've played. It slightly beats the first Dark Souls in my opinion.

DaS3 (9.5) > DaS1 (9) >> DeS (8) >>>> DaS2 (7.5)

I loved the art style and the fasted paced combat. I have to get a PS4 on the cheap for Bloodborne.

Wow that's some praise. Funny enough I'm downloading the game, it's almost finished.
SO a laptop GTX 1060 6 GB should max the game at 1080p, right? Wondering if I should try to downsample, but I don't really know how.

Regginator

Wow that's some praise. Funny enough I'm downloading the game, it's almost finished.
SO a laptop GTX 1060 6 GB should max the game at 1080p, right? Wondering if I should try to downsample, but I don't really know how.

Is the laptop card as powerful as the desktop ones? If so, yeah, you're pretty easily going to max it at 1080p. I have an R9 280X 3GB and I've maxed everything out except for Shadows which was set on High instead of Max, and depth of field + motion blur disabled (not sure if they even have any impact, but I just don't like it).

But I wouldn't downsample it. The smooth fps far outweigh the little added visual fidelity.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I need to get back to CSD1. I put 45 hours into it and it's probably the best game I've ever played on Steam but I stopped at about 14,000 orders served and I'd really like to get the last achievement.

I need to get back to CSD1. I put 45 hours into it and it's probably the best game I've ever played on Steam but I stopped at about 14,000 orders served and I'd really like to get the last achievement.

I stopped at about 27 hours myself, never really feeling the need to do Extreme Difficulty, Battle Kitchen, or mindlessly grind for the pins after I'd already beaten the game.

Still an excellent game though.

Eila

Is the laptop card as powerful as the desktop ones? If so, yeah, you're pretty easily going to max it at 1080p. I have an R9 280X 3GB and I've maxed everything out except for Shadows which was set on High instead of Max, and depth of field + motion blur disabled (not sure if they even have any impact, but I just don't like it).

But I wouldn't downsample it. The smooth fps far outweigh the little added visual fidelity.

I believe it's only 10-15% weaker than the desktop equivalent.
It's such a weird feeling to be able to max a game without breaking a sweat and not being able to do anything more. Rocket League is flawless 60 fps on this thing @ 1080p.

The Room & The Room Two: They are puzzle games where you're stuck in a room with a "box" and have to open that "box". There's an underlying story that's somewhat interesting even though it seems to be an afterthought. Overall, I enjoyed them quite a lot although I think the first game is better than the second, simply because the puzzles are more self-contained and not as spread out throughout the room as in the second.

Hmmm... I avoided this game because I thought it was Myst-like (nice puzzles, but too spread out), but from your description, this looks more interesting to me. I have zero interest in the plot; I prefer great puzzles and a nice mood. Maybe I should try this?

You both should give Eyes of Ara a look.

The areas are not as small as The Room, but are still much smaller than typical Myst games, and the puzzles are quite well designed, IMO. It is also Wok approved and has a demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom