• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

well it's more like mocking it rather than hating it for me, but no it's not a competent fallout game, it's an i guess good elder scrolls thing for people that can appreciate it.

Interesting, so what would you have preferred to be different in FO3 if we was back in 2008 again? (Let's assume it was a still a 3D fps game).

MRORANGE

Fallout 3 is a pretty great game. New Vegas just totally outclasses it in almost every way though.

I do prefer New Vegas, but I wouldn't agree that it is miles ahead of Fallout 3, the only real advantage I can give to New Vegas is an expanded storyline that depends on your outcomes, even then you only really have 3 endings.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
image.php

I like your new pic. :3

<3

What gear we talkin' about? The TF2 stuff?

... If so, can it be sold? Mine is untradeable and unmarketable... >_<'

If you have TF2 installed, run the game again; if you don't have it installed, download SAM and run it from there. This will remove the trading/marketing restrictions.

zkylon

zkylewd
what exactly sets things apart for New Vegas vs 3?

i might just throw some money into it depending on your answer
general quest design, the factions and reputation systems, real companions, real endings, actual care for the fallout lore and universe, stats and skills and perks retuning, the dlc being godly

i don't think that any of that is debatable and sets fo3 apart from the other ones

other than that i think the writing in fallout 3 is all kinds of terrible (new vegas is inconsistent but has really high highs) and the whole world building thing has been discussed to death but imo new vegas still trumps fo3 in that regard

but those two don't matter so much in the fact that the first things are what separate the fallout series from goofy post apocalyptic elder scrolls

Interesting, so what would you have preferred to be different in FO3 if we was back in 2008 again? (Let's assume it was a still a 3D fps game).
better writing and quest design and keeping the reputation system from fallout 2. i can understand that some things fall victim of making a sequel with ten years of game design changes in between and that's ok, or some things not being perfect like getting perks every level or however it worked in fo3. it can be not-perfect (like fo2 was) but it should be above all a good rpg.

also between vats and pure fps i would've gone pure fps

vats is awful

edit: like let's be honest here, fallout 1&2 weren't the paramount of turn based combat either. i like it cos i like that type of gameplay but it was really simple since there was no cover or spells or combat sklils or anything. so while i'd rather they had gone towards a gameplay style i enjoy better, the fps part doesn't bother me too much.

user237

Q*bert Rebooted is on sale for $1.99.

It drops 3 cards that are worth 30c - 60c.

Totally worth it if you like Q*bert or just want the +1.

The Flash

Banned
So I snagged Payday: The Heist when it was free a few weeks ago and finally played it a little last night. I quite like it. Payday 2 is on sale for $10. Is it worth skipping Heist and getting that?

Catshade

So I snagged Payday: The Heist when it was free a few weeks ago and finally played it a little last night. I quite like it. Payday 2 is on sale for $10. Is it worth skipping Heist and getting that?

Payday 1 is quite grindy to get most of the upgrades and abilities, so just get Payday 2 (more players too) if you like the first one.

iosefe

general quest design, the factions and reputation systems, real companions, real endings, actual care for the fallout lore and universe, stats and skills and perks retuning, the dlc being godly

i don't think that any of that is debatable and sets fo3 apart from the other ones

other than that i think the writing in fallout 3 is all kinds of terrible (new vegas is inconsistent but has really high highs) and the whole world building thing has been discussed to death but imo new vegas still trumps fo3 in that regard

but those two don't matter so much in the fact that the first things are what separate the fallout series from goofy post apocalyptic elder scrolls

alright i'll bite. i have the ps3 GOTY of Fo3, but kinda lost interest. partially stuck on the mothership.

I do prefer New Vegas, but I wouldn't agree that it is miles ahead of Fallout 3, the only real advantage I can give to New Vegas is an expanded storyline that depends on your outcomes, even then you only really have 3 endings.

For me there are just many many small things that make New Vegas far ahead of 3. In fact, I think NV is better than the originals even though they are different genres.

The biggest thing that comes to mind that makes NV better than 3 is the survival/hardcore mode though. And just in general I feel like NV better represents the older games in a 3d explorable world.

So we're trashing Square now because SEGA will let us run Valkyria Chronicles at 3276fps @ 9764x1235p?

Seems about right.
You say that as if it's undeserved.

Q*bert Rebooted is on sale for $1.99.

It drops 3 cards that are worth 30c - 60c.

Totally worth it if you like Q*bert or just want the +1.
nfoykc.png

Payday 1 is quite grindy to get most of the upgrades and abilities, so just get Payday 2 (more players too) if you like the first one.
Payday 2 takes the cake with just how grindy things can get. Never mind the blatant randomness just to acquire a certain gun component. Payday 1's heists are also better designed, though the feel of the gunplay in 2 is head-and-shoulders above 1's.

zkylon

zkylewd
alright i'll bite. i have the ps3 GOTY of Fo3, but kinda lost interest. partially stuck on the mothership.
gunplay is pretty much the same (there's iron sights so you can sort of ignore vats a bit) but i had a lot more enjoyment talking to people and doing quests and such which is what i always loved about the fallout series in the first place

like if you can't accept the shitty gamebryo combat (who can blame ya) then you're in trouble but i'm guessing you can since i bet the fo3 dlc is pretty high level

iosefe

gunplay is pretty much the same (there's iron sights so you can sort of ignore vats a bit) but i had a lot more enjoyment talking to people and doing quests and such which is what i always loved about the fallout series in the first place

like if you can't accept the shitty gamebryo combat (who can blame ya) then you're in trouble but i'm guessing you can since i bet the fo3 dlc is pretty high level

i actually got curious a bit early in the game and went to the crash sight. basically, i haven't gone to Three Dog's station yet

*edit* unrelated, if i had to pick one DMC game to buy, what would it be? the one game that will give me a nice experience as a newcomer to the series aside from like 15 of DmC on ps3

MURI also runs at 16 or 32 fps.
It's also a whopping 4 megs.

It's very much a CGA-era throwback title.

Pretty solid, though I've only played a stage or two.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but Call of Doge: Advanced Woofare pre-load is up

Durante

Great thread title.

About the FO3/NV discussion, I think it's somewhat relevant that I never finished any of the post-Morrowind Bethesda RPGs (Oblivion, Skyrim and FO3), but I did finish New Vegas. The former are good sandboxes for playing around in (and modding !), but the latter is that and an interesting story and characters.

iosefe

Great thread title.

About the FO3/NV discussion, I think it's somewhat relevant that I never finished any of the post-Morrowind Bethesda RPGs (Oblivion, Skyrim and FO3), but I did finish New Vegas. The former are good sandboxes for playing around in (and modding !), but the latter is that and an interesting story and characters.

in all seriousness, that sounds like a good way to put things.

zkylon

zkylewd
saoirse looks a big puffy in that pic maybe :D

i actually got curious a bit early in the game and went to the crash sight. basically, i haven't gone to Three Dog's station yet
give it a shot then

i mean i still think the old fallout games aged pretty well (interface is kind of really annoying like most of the all games but since you're only controlling one character it's not as much of a hassle as something like planescape or something) so you should probably play those too if you haven't

*edit* unrelated, if i had to pick one DMC game to buy, what would it be? the one game that will give me a nice experience as a newcomer to the series aside from like 15 of DmC on ps3
well imo the best one is dmc3 although i hear the pc post is pretty terrible

dmc4 is pretty good too but i like it less, the story and characters aren't as memorable and i don't like how nero plays as much as i like dante.

in all seriousness, that sounds like a good way to put things.
hey how come i gotta do like 6 posts with like 4 paragraphs in each one and durante basically says it's like fo3 but less shit and that's it -__-

The Flash

Banned

Payday 2 takes the cake with just how grindy things can get. Never mind the blatant randomness just to acquire a certain gun component. Payday 1's heists are also better designed, though the feel of the gunplay in 2 is head-and-shoulders above 1's.

I'm gonna go for it. It's usually $30 so getting it for over half that seems like a pretty good deal.

Also

FO3 Story > FNV
Everything else in FNV > FO3

Muri and Q'Bert card quotes are nuts compared to sale price. How do I get Idle Master working on OS X?

Was thinking about the DMC bundle, though it could go at that price sometime later when I'm less worried about cash.

zkylon

zkylewd
probably

i liked the heist better but i'm guessing the community probably moved on

i'm surprised overkill hasn't ported the payday 1 maps to payday 2 in some manner

those maps were so much better

FO3 Story > FNV
-__-

how why nooo

Kagemusha

ModBot said:
Halloween Extras

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 13 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.

- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Five Nights at Freddy's -- MB-2BA95C9A41E935AB - Taken by DaBargainHunta. 8 entrants total.
MIND PATH TO THALAMUS -- MB-B7E329C8B88B7617 - Taken by The Dear Leader. 11 entrants total.
Type Rider -- MB-D877F0444141830D - Taken by nja. 1 entrants total.
DANMAKU UNLIMITED 2 -- MB-4D33CDF1CCADDA4A - Taken by darkchewie. 4 entrants total.
Betrayer -- MB-3A664CBC4D4D26CE - Taken by sapsari. 2 entrants total.
Risk of Rain -- MB-609A632239CD92B2
Dead Hungry Diner -- MB-0E413A205AA7C95B - Taken by HeebieJeebies. 1 entrants total.
akane THE KUNOICHI -- MB-2B964CCE6A186A8F - Taken by redlacs. 1 entrants total.
Thunder Wolves -- MB-0384ECE0387779FD - Taken by interion. 2 entrants total.
level 22 -- MB-C20BB233754C4DF6 - Taken by Catshade. 1 entrants total.
Teleglitch Die More Edition -- MB-A5B21CF9A6469337 - Taken by Abhor. 1 entrants total.
bad mojo -- MB-816E426154C47B39 - Taken by KainXVIII. 4 entrants total.
Sang Froid -- MB-A2083F5200E49C66 - Taken by Maniac. 2 entrants total.

t1414898292z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom