• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

True dat.
HHWW65x.png

Best mainline MG after 3 imho

Well, it's not like MGSV is a game without significant flaws.

MGS3 I only remember from being a game I wanted to like, but where the camera and controls led me to only playing it for a couple of hours before selling it. MGSV is at least much much better in those aspects.

Indeed, thats why I love the new Doom but was barely able to finish The Last of Us.

Agreed on both opinions, gameplay is king.

yuraya

I know, right? Did you see this?

Nothing disrespectful about that post. Its the cold truth Nintendo fans don't want to hear.

Besides..Half-Life 2, MGS3 and MGSV shit all over those old Mario games. The platforming in Half-Life 2 alone is better than the platforming in every game Nintendo has ever made.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Dammit. Still not sure if MK Premium is worth it for 10$ since MKXL includes a few DLCs (like Kombat Pack 2) which I have to buy if I buy the Premium Edition now. Yeah, I think Im just gonna wait for MKXL.

Well KP2 will cost $20 and MKXL $40-50, so if you buy the discounted premium version you'll still save 10-20$, and you won't be missing out on any DLC except the two esports skins that are not included in XL anyway

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I can agree with the half-life 2 thread being a bit weird with all the "overrated" posts but I absolutely agree with the people saying it didn't age that well because the things that half-life 2 did is normal in games and not really noteworthy anymore but when it came out it was "revolutionary".

I can agree with the half-life 2 thread being a bit weird with all the "overrated" posts but I absolutely agree with the people saying it didn't age that well because the things that half-life 2 did is normal in games and not really noteworthy anymore but when it came out it was "revolutionary".
Gman's facial expression tech trailer blew my mind back in the day. I couldn't believe it was real-time in-engine. How times change, ha!

It's not just that, though. The gun-play in HL2 always felt kinda meh to me, for example, and even that is eventually replaced by something even more meh (the super gravity gun); while the destinations were interesting, the buggy was never fun to drive around; the silent protagonist feels even more out of place to me, today, especially due to the presence of Alex; and the physics puzzles were tech-demo level stuff back then, too.

The best part about HL2 is how they did the story-telling around the player, and what made my last replay worthwhile was not the gameplay, but rather the developer commentary regarding all the steps Valve went through to ensure that you experienced it like they intended.

It's worth replaying HL2 for that commentary, but other than that I don't feel that it has aged well, because of the above.

Kudo

Gaming side has been losing it these past few days. People shitting all over MGS3, MSGV and now Half-Life 2. So many disrespectful and ungrateful modern day gamers. I guess its the cool thing to do these days. Lets just shoot down everything past, present and future.

Putting MGS3 and Half-Life 2 in same sentence with MGSV is disrespectful. Two of the top games with one of the worst, not like this. And don't get me wrong, I love games with good gameplay.

Shadow Warrior 2 looks really great after DOOM gave me that itch for single player fps games, is the first one also good?

xist

I'm about to play Half-Life 2 for the first time ever so fingers crossed I enjoy it to at least 75% of the positivity it tends to garner...that'll do me for a game that's as old as it it.

cyba89

Nothing disrespectful about that post. Its the cold truth Nintendo fans don't want to hear.

Besides..Half-Life 2, MGS3 and MGSV shit all over those old Mario games. The platforming in Half-Life 2 alone is better than the platforming in every game Nintendo has ever made.

Are you serious? Wth is this comparison?

And you're the one shitposting about 'gaming side' (as if that's some singular entity) for having terrible opinions.

Ludens

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for Ludens:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ludens, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Unofrgiving Trials -- MB-135C0B6CDDC4533A - Taken by Abomination

Also to clarify: MKXL is FREE FOR ALL.
Just think about the Ultra Street Fighter upgrade worked, it's pretty much the same thing.
When XL will release, your X will be upgraded to XL, but if you missed DLCs before the upgrade, you will still miss them after the update. You will only get new balancements and a working game, nothing else. Maybe if they do like they did with console, you will get a couple of skins and a new stage for free, but other character like Alien...nope.

Well KP2 will cost $20 and MKXL $40-50, so if you buy the discounted premium version you'll still save 10-20$, and you won't be missing out on any DLC except the two esports skins that are not included in XL anyway

I think all depends from what you want to do with the game. If you want to play online right now when XL will launch, you can get X now, pay 20€ later and get the full package for 30€. But if you want to play only the SP (like me), it makes sense on waiting for a discount, it's WB and it will happen soon.

Also since you are posting MGSV related stuff...
uZniQiV.png

In before wait for Ban Puncher post.

Arthea

calling a game with good gameplay no good, should be bannable offense on gaf, imho

like seriously, people can care about stories, or music or graphics all they want, but a game is gameplay, unless it's a VN.
MGS is a VN now?

fantomena

Yeah, still considering it. Never cared about cosmetics at all, which is why a rarely buy season passes ever. Most season passes are useless to me, even the story DLCs are usually trash with a few exceptions like Witcher 3, Borderlands and Dark Souls 3.

73V3N

Banned

One of the worst posts I have read on gaf

calling a game with good gameplay no good, should be bannable offense on gaf, imho

like seriously, people can care about stories, or music or graphics all they want, but a game is gameplay, unless it's a VN.
MGS is a VN now?

I think it has more to do that all the other MGS titles were heavy on the story.

yuraya

MGS is a VN now?

People only do that when it comes to a series they wanna hate on. Its been like this with MGS for a while now. Everyone dissects and nitpicks that series just to find something wrong with it. They did it with MGS4 and its 10 hours of cutscenes. They did it with MGS3 for its controls/camera. They did it with MGS2 for its story and Raiden. No one ever gives MGS games credit for the sum of their parts.

MGS is a VN now?

It can still be good gameplay that's embedded in so much bullshit, that it taints the game. I mean, while the open world gameplay is good in MGSV, the lengthy intro chapter is so absolutely awful that it nearly made me quit the game, and I fear that the game will put me into similiar sequences later again.

Lomax

MKXL on steam will almost certainly be a bundle package. Which means if you buy premium now and the Kombat Pack 2 dlc later, you're still going to be missing Goro and all the other stuff not in the premium edition, and you know publishers, that shit will never go on sale individually again. If you don't own anything yet you should almost certainly wait. Knowing WB it will be 50% off by Christmas anyway.

fantomena

I got 1x60% off Blops 3 season pass and 1x30% off Blops 3 season passs coupons if anyone want them.

Yeah, I know it's weird that one of 60% and the other is 30%.

Ozium

THE BUNKER

release date when? it says summer 2016 but summer is over

unless they mean southern hemisphere summer

wee-bey.gif

Phinor

Feel like the devs just cut/separated out those content with the intention of putting it up as free DLC just like Witcher 3. Not really a very bad thing relatively speaking but it feels odd to praise them for it.

All this "after the release" stuff for a game like Mafia 3 is completely useless for me. I'll start playing the day it releases and finish well before any of this new stuff is added. I'm not going back to it after I finish a playthrough, it's all wasted effort and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
I got 1x60% off Blops 3 season pass and 1x30% off Blops 3 season passs coupons if anyone want them.

Yeah, I know it's weird that one of 60% and the other is 30%.
Could I have the 60% if no one else wants it? Season Pass would be a good birthday gift for my nephew. Does it stack with the current deal?

Tellaerin

Gameplay can go a long way though. That's the usual reason anyone plays platinum games.

MGR:R is one of my favorite games because it hits all the right notes for me. Visual design, audio (that soundtrack is amazing), plot and worldbuilding, characterization, and phenomenal gameplay. I wish more games pulled that off, Platinum or otherwise.

Lol, level design shitty? Are you serious? You can infiltrate each outpost/base in several ways, it's the best gameplay of the franchise without doubt.

It was better done in Ground Zeroes. I wouldn't say level design was shitty... gameplay made it enjoyable, not level design, unlike Ground Zeroes, because the map is so open that it's empty and you don't always find interesting designed outposts.

Jawmuncher

MGR:R is one of my favorite games because it hits all the right notes for me. Visual design, audio (that soundtrack is amazing), plot and worldbuilding, characterization, and phenomenal gameplay. I wish more games pulled that off, Platinum or otherwise.

I always felt like MGR could have handled it's story way better.
You take away the over the top moments from the story and you're not left with much.

Ozium

Lol, level design shitty? Are you serious? You can infiltrate each outpost/base in several ways, it's the best gameplay of the franchise without doubt.

lol

'best gameplay' for a shooter

remember when metal gear solid was a stealth game with levels designed around cameras and guards?

MGS2 still the goat

mankind divided no alerts, pacifist, stealth gameplay w/ cone of vision aug = best metal gear solid 5 i ever played

It was better done in Ground Zeroes. I wouldn't say level design was shitty... gameplay made it enjoyable, not level design, unlike Ground Zeroes, because the map is so open that it's empty and you don't always find interesting designed outposts.

yes GZ is good.. also the fact that you have to actually sneak in and be aware of your surroundings most of the time and physically carry people to the helicopter without being seen so you felt like a bad ass instead of just pressing an instant win fulton button

venom snake is a fraud

Ludens

Banned

Ah, no doubt in that. I also agree in TPP there's no verticality in the infiltration. But the gameplay is not shit. Is it inferior to GZ? Yeah, but not bad.

lol

'best gameplay' for a shooter

remember when metal gear solid was a stealth game?

mankind divided no alerts, pacifist, stealth gameplay w/ cone of vision aug = best metal gear solid 5 i ever played

Dunno, I never killed people in TPP, I did a full stealth/no kill run S rank for the WHOLE game. I only killed people in mission 6? The one you need to clear fast using the chopper, when you met Skull Face. I did a stealth only/no kills run too, but I couldn't get S rank because it was impossible due to the time you spent on doing the mission. No point on playing a stealth game by shooting people.

Tizoc

Can't wait. There's no way they could fuck this up, right?

For fear of getting flamed, I'll spare you my ignorant opinion on HL2 and MGSV ;)

Nah it's a 2D Sonic game NOT by Dimps and Stealth and Taxman have done good stuff in the past, I got faith in this :3

I always felt like MGR could have handled it's story way better.
You take away the over the top moments from the story and you're not left with much.

It's not much, but what's there is fantastic, especially for that type of game. It's one-off bosses are given more characterization (through their dialogue, codecs about them, their fighting style and their music) than lead characters in MGSV. Not that that's saying much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom