• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | September 2016 - Good job doing previous stuff, let's do new stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

It's not much, but what's there is fantastic, especially for that type of game. It's one-off bosses are given more characterization (through their dialogue, codecs about them, their fighting style and their music) than lead characters in MGSV. Not that that's saying much

I wont disagree there.

MUnited83

For you.
Lol, level design shitty? Are you serious? You can infiltrate each outpost/base in several ways, it's the best gameplay of the franchise without doubt.

That's like saying every open world game has great level design because you can approach stuff from different directions.

Game is a bunch of crappy Far Cry outposts put into a empty ass boring open world. The game never sucessfully callenges you because you are too overpowered. Ground Zeroes manages to be better than the entirety of MGSV.

That's like saying every open world game has great level design because you can approach stuff from different directions.

Game is a bunch of crappy Far Cry outposts put into a empty ass boring open world. The game never sucessfully callenges you because you are too overpowered. Ground Zeroes manages to be better than the entirety of MGSV.

It's enough space to breathe. Doing proper recon, taking any approach you want, finding smaller outposts in the outskirts - this leads to a very open, non-dense level design.

dex3108

I went back to Dishonored DLCs after Knife of Dunwall pissed me off last year with a bug. I started from the beginning again and so far so good :D I finished first two missions (ghost+no kill). Can't wait for Dishonored 2 :D

yuraya

How many open world games let your infiltrate an enemy base of like 30 guards without being spotted and escape with a prisoner on your back without being spotted? And then extract on a helicopter without your chopper being spotted? The series is a hardcore stealth franchise that has always been about how you interact with any one enemy guard and how he interacts with you. Kojima stayed true to that throughout the entirety of the game. The open world and levels are fine. Some areas are great even. They just overused the same areas a bit too much for some of the missions while stretching the game's content. And you can't really blame them for doing it
when the core of the game has you building an private army of like 3000 soldiers from scratch.

Also MGS has never been a hard or challenging franchise in any way. You can cheese your way through every level and boss fight across all the games. Overpowering the player with weapon/item/gadget options is the point.

Wok

I stopped playing MGS V because I don't understand its level design. I think I dislike open world games.

I stopped playing MGS V because I don't understand its level design. I think I dislike open world games.

There is no level design, it's just a big stealth sandbox.

Still enjoying playing it more than any Deus Ex game. Good game mechanics can carry a game much farther than a mediocre story.

Tizoc

header.jpg

Time to buy VR.

Ludens

Banned

I always told the open-world was useless, and also GZ was better than MGSV. But the level design is not shit as you wrote, sorry. It's still an extremely good game, gameplay wise. Story is crap? Yeah. The open-world is useless? Yeah. Chopper breaks immersion? Sure.
But the game is not crap. It's not a masterpiece, still it's the best stealth game you can find at the moment. GZ was better, eah, but was also a 10 hours experience at the best.

Also who is the one praising MGS2? that's my least favourite MGS ever. Like, I only like the Snake part which is 15 minutes and Snake Tales. A full game located on a plant which is all the same plus the worse ending you can imagine. It misses teletubbies, they were almost included into Peace Walker plot but Kojima didn't manage to get the license.

KingKong

I always told the open-world was useless, and also GZ was better than MGSV. But the level design is not shit as you wrote, sorry. It's still an extremely good game, gameplay wise. Story is crap? Yeah. The open-world is useless? Yeah. Chopper breaks immersion? Sure.
But the game is not crap. It's not a masterpiece, still it's the best stealth game you can find at the moment. GZ was better, eah, but was also a 10 hours experience at the best.

Also who is the one praising MGS2? that's my least favourite MGS ever. Like, I only like the Snake part which is 15 minutes and Snake Tales. A full game located on a plant which is all the same plus the worse ending you can imagine. It misses teletubbies, they were almost included into Peace Walker plot but Kojima didn't manage to get the license.

MGS5 was one of my favorite games last year but its not really a stealth game. Hitman is a better stealth game and even Deus Ex: MD has better stealth mechanics. Blacklist is a couple of years old but that's better too

Jawmuncher

Snake tales sucks, sorry but it's the truth

Jawmuncher

MGS5 was one of my favorite games last year but its not really a stealth game. Hitman is a better stealth game and even Deus Ex: MD has better stealth mechanics. Blacklist is a couple of years old but that's better too

Stealth is just broad. It means different things to different people. MGSV is a stealth game, but it has the tools to be more than that.

Jut Like Deus Ex and Blacklist have.

Ludens

Banned

Nah, Hitman is a puzzle game more than a stealth. Also in MGSV you kinda need to look for the stealth gameplay. I mean, if you go around using reflex and headshooting all enemies no, it's not a stealth. If you aim for S rank with no kills/no alarm, than it's the best stealth game you can find. At least that's the way I played it from the start (and the way I play all MGS games).When I played MGSV if someone saw me, I restarted the mission from the start. I didn't move on the next mission if I didnìt S ranked the current mission. The only exception is the mission I posted above, simply because after hours of tries I understood it wasn't humanly possible S rank it by playing normally. In fact for that mission you need to select as starting point the central area, landing with a chopper between ton of enemies, achieving what you needed (even by killing ton of soldiers) and going away. That was bullshit, because in that mission S rank is based pretty much only on your time, meaning if you get the best score in all the area, still you are not able to achieve a proper S rank because of time. There's no really a way to cut it by playing the level from the "basic" start point.

Snake tales sucks, sorry but it's the truth
At least I was able to play as Snake here.

KingKong

The biggest problem is that the fulton makes it too easy not to care about guards and rotations or anything. Even if you get spotted by someone you can easily take them out and get rid of them. I really enjoyed the extreme and total stealth missions, that's more what I was looking for

also Hitman is absolutely a stealth game, see silent assassin suit only runs

Ludens

Banned
The biggest problem is that the fulton makes it too easy not to care about guards and rotations or anything. Even if you get spotted by someone you can easily take them out and get rid of them. I really enjoyed the extreme and total stealth missions, that's more what I was looking for

Well, as I wrote it really depends on how you play it. Try to toggle off reflex and see how the difficulty goes up.
I played 80% of the missions with reflex off in order to get that bonus to get S rank, and it's really good. I agree with you Extreme and Total Stealth were great but dunno, I found them not different from the main game, because I used to quit when I wasn't ok with with my performance, and the tactic to clear those missions is pretty much the same to be honest.
The harder mission for me to S rank was the Extreme version of the mission with tanks you need to take off in different spot of the map, because I needed to fulton them and it's not really that easy considering there's a timer.

Tizoc

Ni no Kuni should totally get a re-release on Steam. Hell I'd get it for $30 if the port is good, like QLOC good.

Ludens

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIQA9G39AHQ&feature=youtu.be&t=753

Man, that lip-sync is awful. And people crying for Life is Strange one, this is some '90 stuff.

Ni no Kuni should totally get a re-release on Steam. Hell I'd get it for $30 if the port is good, like QLOC good.

Ni No Kuni was the most boring jrpg I ever played. For many aspects it was worse than Zestiria, but I consider it better because at least those three cutscenes in the game were great, the soundtrack was nice too but man, plot was a snoozefest and the gameplay same thing. I hope the sequel is much better than that, Oliver journey was like a pile of Valium.

How does it deal with private profiles?

I assume it just compensates for them. Say 10% of profiles are private, it would just add 10% to totals. Of course it's only an assumption that the population of private accounts has the same buying habits of public ones but according the devs the numbers are pretty good.

KainXVIII

SteamGAF, how should (or its not worth it?) upgrade my 8gb of ram to 16gb?. I have 2 sticks of 4gb (by samsung, ddr3, PC3-12800) - its better to add another 2 sticks of just 1 stick of 8gb?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SteamGAF, how should (or its not worth it?) upgrade my 8gb of ram to 16gb?. I have 2 sticks of 4gb (by samsung, ddr3, PC3-12800) - its better to add another 2 sticks of just 1 stick of 8gb?

You'll want to get another two sticks as this will preserve the dual channel configuration.

Ludens

Banned
JSBW4pw.png

Do you remember that game given for free on Reddit this morning?
Yeah, this happened. I guess someone got really pissed about the fact the cdkey was already redeemed.

Jadax

JSBW4pw.png

Yeah, this happened. I guess someone got really pissed about the fact the cdkey was already redeemed.

I'm more shocked by the fact that you use Windows mail. Atleast you use chrome, so it's not all bad.

Annubis

So... I'm playing Dragon's Dogma and roaming the wilderness... and I just ran into a dragon that keeps saying he's my master.

Did I just run into the last boss or something?

I'm actually managing up to now with my bow and staying away. Will take a looooooong time to kill this.

JSBW4pw.png

Why are you using Windows Mail and not the Mail App that comes with Windows 10?

It even comes with Action Center notifications.

Nzyme32

JSBW4pw.png

I'm more shocked by the fact that you use Windows mail. Atleast you use chrome, so it's not all bad.

Easily the most important point.

Also this is one of the many reasons to not go for random keys from such a public giveaway, where there are plenty of people that are so desperate or childish to try anything to either annoy others, scam others or attempt to get something for nothing

Javier23

Banned
JSBW4pw.png

Exact same thing just happened to me. I just got like a hundred messages from Steam Support in the last hour or so.

Annubis

So... I'm playing Dragon's Dogma and roaming the wilderness... and I just ran into a dragon that keeps saying he's my master.

Did I just run into the last boss or something?

I'm actually managing up to now with my bow and staying away. Will take a looooooong time to kill this.

He ran away =(

EDIT: oh wait no, he's back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom