• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STELLAR BLADE |OT| Twitter May Cry

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It didn’t seem random to me at all. You just have to fish at several spots. I did one short fishing stint at each spot and caught all the fish on the first try. I think the game weights it towards you catching fish you have yet to find.

Lucky you. Hasn’t happened with me at all. I had all the fish info bought and tried to catch a halibut at the clock tower pond for the sidequest and all I kept getting were boxes full of mats. And yes I’m using the correct bait.

NahaNago

Finally beat the game and I'd give it a "B" rating. As a first go at console gaming I thought it was pretty good. I wish the sidequests were a bit more interesting and we got to know the towns folk better. Needed a lot more enemy variety. The ability to glide would have been nice. For the combat I thought that leveling up to acquire skills or combos we should have always had was annoying. My biggest issue I had was like those last few bosses. They were like 100X harder than any of the earlier bosses. I think if they polish what they have created for the second game it could easily get an "A" rating.

On the sexiness issue. I honestly hated most of the lingerie outfits. She looked best in the normal clothes. Didn't even notice the assets while playing the game until I put her in a skirt.

Kupfer

There is this one track, when traveling to Plaza in Eidos 7 and going around around the corner, where some enemies drop from above, which always throws me back to N64s Extreme-G.
All other songs are great too, at first I thought it is a bit repetetive, but after some hours in a new area I'm glad coming back to what I know and feel kinda 'home'.

Eiknarf

The fishing is gonna be the one thing that kills me for the plat. I just can’t dude. The randomness of it all. If this were 20 years ago sure but

aint nobody got time for that GIF

0obxuYV.jpeg

dFnaWvw.jpeg
It took me three consecutive hours to catch all 25 fish

I can't believe people are actually playing through this multiple times just to get the platinum. Like, what do you even do on your second time through? I already completed everything the first time, and there is no way to skip to the end. At the rate I was going, ignoring all fights, skipping all cutscenes, it would take 4-5 hours to see a different ending. Who is actually doing this?

Madflavor

I can't believe people are actually playing through this multiple times just to get the platinum. Like, what do you even do on your second time through? I already completed everything the first time, and there is no way to skip to the end. At the rate I was going, ignoring all fights, skipping all cutscenes, it would take 4-5 hours to see a different ending. Who is actually doing this?

People like the game. They play through it against because they enjoy it. What’s hard to believe?

Kupfer

Do you need NG+ for platinum?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What’s so fun about this game for me is the nostalgia hit it provides. I really does feel like I’m playing a PS2 game in the best way. It’s like the kind of weird eastern action game that intimidated me way too much as a kid, but in this post-Demons Souls world we live in, I love it. And I know it’s more DMC than SoulsBorne.
Many people have said this and I think it gets misinterpreted.
With people thinking it's got old gameplay or something.
I think it's better to describe it as a game made by developers that hadn't lost their way and still made games with the quality and passion like they did back in the 2000's but have evolved with technology.

But it's korean and I've always said they are like evolution of the 2000's culture that the west lost.

It didn’t seem random to me at all. You just have to fish at several spots. I did one short fishing stint at each spot and caught all the fish on the first try. I think the game weights it towards you catching fish you have yet to find.
You just got lucky with RNG.

I'm still missing 4 fish I need and all I get are the ones I already have and anyways I have the trophy already so fuck it I want to keep playing the game

Do you need NG+ for platinum?
Yes. You need a minimum of 2 playthroughs, and if you don't have PS+ most likely 3 unless you do not die on the final 2 bosses because the game doesn't have manual saves and you can't savescum without using PS+ cloud save to see the different endings

Real spoiler: You need to play through at least once with the Lily gauge at 100% to get to choose between the Normal and True endings, and once with the Lily gauge at less than 100% to get the Bad ending. And if you die on the final 2 bosses, which overwrites your save, and you don't have PS+ cloud save to savescum, then you have to play through a third time because there is no way to save before making the final choice between the Normal ending and the True ending. I am seriously debating signing up for a month of PS+ just to prevent me from having to play through a 3rd time since you need to do a lot of sidequests to reach 100% Lily gauge

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
WOW

The intro to this fight is incredible in game. Do not listen to the song if you've not gotten there YET

rofif

Banned
I found 30 cans without trying.

Is it worth it to find all 49? I guess I'll need a guide
not worth it really. The costume is cool but nto something you will look at more than 5 minutes.
I found 36 cans myself and googled the rest. Took me about an hour to do so.

Eiknarf

Yes. People bring up the outfit you get for all 49 cans, but one of the higher tier rewards is being able to use 2 WB Pumps instead of one.
I got the nano suit outfit for catching all the fish.
Wonder if the outfit for all 49 cans is as liked by fans?

All fish vs All cans?

Madflavor

I got the nano suit outfit for catching all the fish.
Wonder if the outfit for all 49 cans is as liked by fans?

All fish vs All cans?

Why not both?

From what I've seen the Ocean Maid outfit you get from catching all the fish seems more popular though.

This is the guide I used btw:

Synastry

Anyone know what just happen?

I'm in the great desert and i had 221K gold and I just did the
I wont forget you
mission and my gold went down to 180K?

I am seriously debating signing up for a month of PS+ just to prevent me from having to play through a 3rd time
Trophy is meaningless. You already spoiled yourself on the story, so you may as well just watch the ending on YouTube.

I personally just stuck with the ending I got, and sold off the game for $15 less than I paid. It's still GOTY for me, as those 50 hours getting to the end were fun and engaging with fantastic graphics and music. That said, the ending is as flat as a bottle of crystal pepsi from 1994, and I supposedly got the "good" ending.

Trophy is meaningless. You already spoiled yourself on the story, so you may as well just watch the ending on YouTube.

I personally just stuck with the ending I got, and sold off the game for $15 less than I paid. It's still GOTY for me, as those 50 hours getting to the end were fun and engaging with fantastic graphics and music. That said, the ending is as flat as a bottle of crystal pepsi from 1994, and I supposedly got the "good" ending.
I read an endings guide which didn't spoil any of the story for me, since I already knew about the Lily Gauge going in and how important it was.

I just want the Platinum for fun but if it becomes un-fun then I won't bother continuing to get it. I'll definitely do a NG+ run because there's stuff in NG+ that you can't get in your first run but if I don't end up getting all 3 endings then honestly fuck it. This isn't Nier where the game dramatically changes each playthrough, so once I get tired of playing it I'll just stop. I've put Fate/Samurai Remnant on hold 3 times now for Persona 3 Reload, Unicorn Overlord, and this game, and I really want to get back to that soonish.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I am messing around with NG+ and I wish there was a skip all dialogue option. I dislike mashing X to progress some conversations and O to skip some cutscenes. I wish it flowed like DMCVSE with Vergil. Skip everything and get to the combat. The game flows fine. It makes me wish there was a boss rush mode. The more strength you have on your weapon, the faster the boss fights go. NG+ is also great to explore the world. I’m taking more time to look around than I did in NG. This type of formula is the chef’s kiss.

Mithos

Yes. You need a minimum of 2 playthroughs, and if you don't have PS+ most likely 3 unless you do not die on the final 2 bosses because the game doesn't have manual saves and you can't savescum without using PS+ cloud save to see the different endings
Damn another €65 the PS5 have to drop in price before I'm willing to buy...
Did not know you couldn't backup your saved to an external drive....

Last edited:

Luipadre

Credits rolling after 35 hours. I did everything except the last fishing stuff. People werent kidding about the last 3-4 hours being amazing holy shit. Gorgeous environmental design, banger musics and amazing bossfights. Despite its shortcomings this game was amazing and FUN. It was highly polished, looked fucking great on balanced mode in HDR on OLED, ran great 99% of the time. Now i really want a sequel with better writing, characters, story and fixed platforming and maybe better side content even tho some of them were decent.

Now onto NG+ hard mode with Korean VA, but i will wait for a potential photo mode to do a full playthrough again. Congrats Shift Up, this was a banger

Last edited:

Luipadre

Credits rolling after 35 hours. I did everything except the last fishing stuff. People werent kidding about the last 3-4 hours being amazing holy shit. Gorgeous environmental design, banger musics and amazing bossfights. Despite its shortcomings this game was amazing and FUN. It was highly polished, looked fucking great on balanced mode in HDR on OLED, ran great 99% of the time. Now i really want a sequel with better writing, characters, story and fixed platforming and maybe better side content even tho some of them were decent.

Now onto NG+ hard mode with Korean VA, but i will wait for a potential photo mode to do a full playthrough again. Congrats Shift Up, this was a banger

Ok i killed the first boss in NG+ hard and goddamn this game feels even better at this difficulty with all the shit unlocked and i can unlock more???

Last edited:

jwaxeman

Many people have said this and I think it gets misinterpreted.
With people thinking it's got old gameplay or something.
I think it's better to describe it as a game made by developers that hadn't lost their way and still made games with the quality and passion like they did back in the 2000's but have evolved with technology.

But it's korean and I've always said they are like evolution of the 2000's culture that the west lost.
I agree with that but I also think it plays like a game from that era. It’s obviously more detailed and immersive. But something about the enemy and world design, music, etc. gives me those adventure game vibes.

Shakka43

Real spoiler: You need to play through at least once with the Lily gauge at 100% to get to choose between the Normal and True endings, and once with the Lily gauge at less than 100% to get the Bad ending. And if you die on the final 2 bosses, which overwrites your save, and you don't have PS+ cloud save to savescum, then you have to play through a third time because there is no way to save before making the final choice between the Normal ending and the True ending. I am seriously debating signing up for a month of PS+ just to prevent me from having to play through a 3rd time since you need to do a lot of sidequests to reach 100% Lily gauge
I got two endings on my first playthrough Return to the Colony and Making New Memories without having to use ps+ saves. Once I beat Adam and got the Return to the Colony trophy i quit the game, then I Continue the game and was back at the last Camp again and went for the Making New Memories choice instead.

Last edited:
I got two endings on my first playthrough Return to the Colony and Making New Memories without having to use ps+ saves. Once I beat Adam and got the Return to the Colony trophy i quit the game, then I Continue the game and was back at the last Camp again and went for the Making New Memories choice instead.
The FAQ I read says that is only possible if you don't die at all to the last 2 bosses

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
The FAQ I read says that is only possible if you don't die at all to the last 2 bosses

I dont believe that at all. For one PowerPyx doesnt mention it whatsoever in the trophy guide and that dude stays on top of his shit

Nydius

I dont believe that at all. For one PowerPyx doesnt mention it whatsoever in the trophy guide and that dude stays on top of his shit

Either he forgot to acknowledge it or never ran into it.

If you completely die (run out of WB pumps) at the final boss fight, it sends you back to the Nest supply camp which immediately autosaves. That becomes the “continue” save file after you beat the game and you don’t get to listen to his dialog or make the final choice again.

I speak from experience. On my NG+ hard game save, I died in his second phase the first attempt. If I load up the game and continue (or even manually load) my save file, the objective in the corner of the screen is to defeat the boss, not find the elder. As soon as I set foot into the combat area, the fight begins.

If you never die, it doesn’t send you back to the camp that autosaves, so your save is before you begin the final dialog sequence.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I agree with that but I also think it plays like a game from that era. It’s obviously more detailed and immersive. But something about the enemy and world design, music, etc. gives me those adventure game vibes.
Yeah it's got it's aesthetic but it's way ahead in everything else.
like I said an evolution of that era of gaming.
On that note, although this doesn't have ray tracing I just noticed that the checkered flooring reflected on Eves ass 😂

DelireMan7

And done !

Last few bosses are quite good. I wish there was more humanoid boss. Raven is a pretty sick fight .

I think I got the "bad ending" but I consider it a "good" one.
I fuse with the ancestral Naityba. Fought the mech and then the Matri Arch send an army of Eve on me.
But I save the humanity and will probably destroy the Matri Arch so... Good for me.
Edit : just finished the credit. Looks like the good ending in the end
Visually it's beautiful on the last location.

Really enjoyed it.

I am not going to NG+ yet. But I'll come back to it. Last few bosses shows how the combat is better with harder boss. Curious to see how the full game is on hard.

Also the last outfit I got is funny. Boob window like Power Girl and Eve's are at least doubled in size in it xD

Last edited:
On a side note, there is a cyberpunk 2D pixel-art indie called Anno: Mutationem now with 40% discount on PSN store. Cool little game, it has similarities with SB.

Had it on my wishlist and was ready to pull the trigger the other day but for some reason i didn't - i'm going through some indies shopping spree lately and i can't decide whether i should keep buying them since most are on sale or if i should just get Stellar Blade

DelireMan7

Started NG+ to see and the outfit I was speaking is not really an outfit seems like. I was thinking I would unlock it.

Also Danjin44 Danjin44 you once post a screen with an outfit and I said it gives Ky Kiske vibe. Which one was it ? I didn't unlock it.

Had it on my wishlist and was ready to pull the trigger the other day but for some reason i didn't - i'm going through some indies shopping spree lately and i can't decide whether i should keep buying them since most are on sale or if i should just get Stellar Blade

SB is a safe bet if you are into ARPG. The one I mentioned is more narrative-driven than I expected. The cyberpunk vibe is very well done but I haven't figured out the gameloop yet (just a few hours in)

Top Bottom