• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steve Irwin dead at age 44. Killed by a.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumFore

Banned
Know he would not have wanted it but I wonder if they will kill the stingray? Dont they usually kill animals that kill humans because they may do it again?

Luckett_X

Banned
Since this topic has been through the whole shock and outrage at people being unsurprised and unsympathetic, I guess we can skip that. I'm in the "was obviously gonna happen" camp, and any feeling of sympathy because he's left a family behind is kinda lost since it was his decision to dick about with deadly creatures to start with.

I personally gained nothing from his wildlife shows. They felt brazen, and pretty insulting to all animal kind as he just charged in on them, grabbed them and just generally buggered about with them. On the flipside wildlife programs such as Attenborough's are just amazingly shot, and you can see they have the utmost respect for the animal's and their environments, tip toeing around and trying not to disturb them.

As for being irreplaceable, ironically the other week on a chat show was what seemed like a total clone of him with a massive snake coiled around his arm choking it "Aww look! Its squeezing so tight my arms gonna burst!"

Anyway, tragic for the family members left behind, but completely and utterly unsurprising. Hope the footage gets released, it seems... only fair.

Cheebs

Luckett_X said:
Since this topic has been through the whole shock and outrage at people being unsurprised and unsympathetic, I guess we can skip that. I'm in the "was obviously gonna happen" camp, and any feeling of sympathy because he's left a family behind is kinda lost since it was his decision to dick about with deadly creatures to start with.

I personally gained nothing from his wildlife shows. They felt brazen, and pretty insulting to all animal kind as he just charged in on them, grabbed them and just generally buggered about with them. On the flipside wildlife programs such as Attenborough's are just amazingly shot, and you can see they have the utmost respect for the animal's and their environments, tip toeing around and trying not to disturb them.

As for being irreplaceable, ironically the other week on a chat show was what seemed like a total clone of him with a massive snake coiled around his arm choking it "Aww look! Its squeezing so tight my arms gonna burst!"

Anyway, tragic for the family members left behind, but completely and utterly unsurprising. Hope the footage gets released, it seems... only fair.

Jesus...you act like he runs around and attacks animals for sport and is cruel to them. He does his show and stuff to preach conservation and protection of animal life. He did his show very sarcastically and action packed if you will because he was smart enough to realize to get the message of conservation out to the masses you can't do so with slow "dull" documentary type of wildlife footage.

And it worked. EVERYONE knows of his show and likely has seen some of it, he reached the masses because he knew how to attract them. He didn't do the show because he thought it would be fun to go and attack animals on tv. He did it because he knew through what he did he could get his message out.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
chaostrophy said:
Imagine a stranger coming up to you on the street and acting towards you the same way the Crocodile Hunter acted towards the animals on his show.

thanks for the totally inappropriate analogy.

chaostrophy said:
Uhh...March of the Penguins showed penguins being preyed on, establishing their place in the food chain.

do you even know what anthropomorphism and sentimentalization mean? the creator of March of the Penguins does because that is exactly how he described his film.

chaostrophy said:
But my point was that the core of the movie is the penguins' natural lives, not interaction with wild animals forced by humans.

Because interaction with animals is wrong :rolleyes: ? As Steve Irwin said - how can people be interested in saving something that they don't know and understand...that is what he helped to do (especially importantly and extremely successfully in the US), and if disturbing the occasional animal helps preserve the species and get people to realise how important entire ecosystems and environmental practices are, then it is worth it and nothing to be deemed "unethical".

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-2342441,00.html

chaostrophy said:
The goal of most scientific study of animals is not to make the public interested in animals - it's to preserve biodiversity.

It is not even about preserving biodiversity as much as tracking and studying animals. And I do not think you can seriously talk about preserving biodiversity without talking about public perceptions and interactions with ecosystems. It is precisely by engaging the public and making them aware of what their lifestyle effects that aims such as preservation of species and general biodiversity are aided.

Steve Irwin both engaged the public in a meaningful way AND was a well respected natural-historian and environmentalist who put money and time into scientific research into ecosystems and animal behaviour. His knowledge of reptiles and crocodiles in particular is known to have been exceptional.

The man lived and experienced wildlife for his entire life, did a whole host of things across many disciplines and mediums (scientific, public, purchasing land to be protected, etc) to aide in the protection of wildlife and engagement with them, and then we get people like you who have done nothing, know very little, and probably live in some urban sprawl lecturing people about how "cruel" and "unethical" his interactions with animals were because he didn't greet them with a "how do you do?" and a handshake as if he had met a stranger in town. You portray this man as somehow repugnant for actually interacting with the occasional individual animal for a new minutes of its life. Christ, it's pathetic

Boogie9IGN

A friend of mine reminded me of
PBF070AD-Svens_Revenge.jpg

But seriously, I liked Irwin <3

RIP

ckohler

He got the name "Crocodile Hunter" because he would go out and rescue endangered crocs from places where they were being hunted by poachers. He'd then move them to a safer locations.

The whole reason he "wrestled crocs" was because he believed (rightly so) that tranquilzing a cold blooded animal like a crocodile was very dangerous to them. So instead of using drugs, he insisted on capturing the crocs the hard way, never injuring them.

Kuramu

RIP :(:::: At least he died doing what he loved.

Next in news...Kuramu dies in freak Flash coding accident

Pimpwerx

That really sucks. Steve deserved to be eaten by a croc, or something crazy like that. I would never have expected a stingray. At least he went out doing stuff he loved. As dangerous as it was, he probably wouldn't have been happy doing anything else. RIP. :(

woodchuck

Pimpwerx said:
That really sucks. Steve deserved to be eaten by a croc, or something crazy like that. I would never have expected a stingray. At least he went out doing stuff he loved. As dangerous as it was, he probably wouldn't have been happy doing anything else. RIP. :(

you forgot something

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
One of the most powerful moments I saw on his show was an episode where they were filming on a beach where sperm whales have breached onto. The animals were still alive but there was no way to help them. You could just see how emotional and passionate he was when speaking about them (he had tears in his eyes and his voice was shaking). Thank you for all your work in conservation, public awareness and education, Steve. RIP.

nightez said:
At least we still Jeff Corwin or Austin Stevens. But those guys were timid compared to Irwin.

I like all those dudes. Even the old guard like Attenborough, etc and such but not some much Corwin even though I know he's very popular nowadays. A little too much wanna be stand up comic there in his presentation for me but I respect what he does. Just not my cup of tea.

J2 Cool

demon said:
from imbd.com:

Personal quotes

"If something ever happens to me, people are gonna be like 'we knew a croc would get him!'"

:(

I don't know, that actually makes me laugh a little bit. He was such a cool guy.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
I never really knew how much I loved this guy until I heard he died. He was an easy target for jokes, but no matter what I ever said about him I always admired his sincere enthusiasm for his work. You can't help but feel happy when you see someone doing what he or she loves and spreading that passion to others with absolute enthusiasm. Lame and cliched as it sounds, I think he is and was an inspiration.

Agreed.

Buggy Loop said:

You know him? i hope?

Im with himuro with these things, i mean, yea it sucks he died, really cool guy and all, but feel sadness or even cry for someone thats not related to you? Shit, i didnt even cry when one of my friend (mostly just a guy i knew and he was hanging with some of my other friends) died in car accident back in high school.

Wow. Will people respect the way other people deal with grief at least? Fine, your entirely non-empathetic to people you don't know. Congratulations. Not everyone is like that, and questioning why they're not or pointing them out in disbelief is ridiculous.

MrSardonic said:
do you even know what anthropomorphism and sentimentalization mean? the creator of March of the Penguins does because that is exactly how he described his film.

Because interaction with animals is wrong :rolleyes: ? As Steve Irwin said - how can people be interested in saving something that they don't know and understand...that is what he helped to do (especially importantly and extremely successfully in the US), and if disturbing the occasional animal helps preserve the species and get people to realise how important entire ecosystems and environmental practices are, then it is worth it and nothing to be deemed "unethical".

Ok, forget March of the Penguins, how sentimental or not that one film was really has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. Think of Winged Migration if you want, or Microcosmos, or any show where the creators simply observed what animals do naturally, rather than provoke certain behaviors out of them for the camera. Those kinds of films can lead people to know and understand wild animals.

Can you, or anyone else, explain to me why exactly it was necessary for Steve to, say, start prodding a snake with a stick after filming the creature and telling us about its life and ecology? Does watching a guy dodge the bites of a snake he intentionally pissed off impart some kind of understanding of the snake? I don't think it does.

What I do think it did was provide cheap thrills to lure in an audience, which could then be given a positive message about conservation. Which worked out great for Steve, and his fans, and the animals he was able to help and those his legacy will continue to be able to help. All I'm saying is that it's sad to me that our culture requires these kinds of tricks to get people to care about nature conservation. Wildlife is fascinating and awe-inspiring on its own.

MrSardonic said:
The man lived and experienced wildlife for his entire life, did a whole host of things across many disciplines and mediums (scientific, public, purchasing land to be protected, etc) to aide in the protection of wildlife and engagement with them, and then we get people like you who have done nothing, know very little, and probably live in some urban sprawl lecturing people about how "cruel" and "unethical" his interactions with animals were because he didn't greet them with a "how do you do?" and a handshake as if he had met a stranger in town. You portray this man as somehow repugnant for actually interacting with the occasional individual animal for a new minutes of its life. Christ, it's pathetic

Woo hoo ad hominem attacks! Awesome way to debate! By the way, I never said his actions were cruel or unethical, and I never implied that the guy was repugnant, you must have just inferred that. I called his approach "ethically questionable"- meaning that it's not perfect and raises ethical questions. I never said or implied that I think it makes him a horrible person that deserved to die.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
this thread is like when Goose died in Top Gun, except instead of people going "Wow, that sucks Mav. Sorry." they're like, "LOL what'd you think would happen retard?! LOLOLZ X-D"

oh well.

RumpledForeskin said:
Know he would not have wanted it but I wonder if they will kill the stingray? Dont they usually kill animals that kill humans because they may do it again?

It sounds like it was not only a defensive reaction but also a freak accident. I hope they don't hunt it down nor do I think they will. I don't think there is any danger of a 'rogue, manhunter stingray' here...

whytemyke said:
this thread is like when Goose died in Top Gun, except instead of people going "Wow, that sucks Mav. Sorry." they're like, "LOL what'd you think would happen retard?! LOLOLZ X-D"

oh well.

You know it's not that bad actually after the initial jackballs were sort of put down. It's just the day and age we live in. To use an extreme example If MLK were alive and got assassinated today, half this thread would still be about what a waste of space he was. (And No, I'm not comparing Steve Irwin to MLK before anybody posts something stupid. Just an observation) I think the majority of people were very decent and respectful in the thread.

ckohler

chaostrophy said:
Can you, or anyone else, explain to me why exactly it was necessary for Steve to, say, start prodding a snake with a stick after filming the creature and telling us about its life and ecology?
Because he knew that if you find yourself in close quarters with a dangerous snake, using a stick to move it is safer than using your hands. It was an important, life-saving lesson he repeatly demonstrated on his show.

Does watching a guy dodge the bites of a snake he intentionally pissed off impart some kind of understanding of the snake?
He NEVER intentionally pissed off a snake. You're just assuming he did because he would pick them up. He handled snakes all his life. It was second nature to him. It was as natural as breathing to him. Zookeepers do it every day. It was never his intention to piss them off. Just to show them off.

ckohler said:
He NEVER intentionally pissed off a snake. You're just assuming he did because he would pick them up. He handeld snakes all his life. It was second nature to him. It was a natural as breathing to him. Zookeepers do it every day. It was never his intention to piss them off. Just to show them off.

Sorry, that's just not true. Watch the show.

When you chase a wild, spitting cobra, poking and prodding it until you can get it to show its hood - something a cobra will do only when it feels threatened or cornered - you are intentionally pissing it off for a good shot.

I'm sad he's dead, it sucks, it's awful, but let's keep this grounded in reality please. He knew what he was doing and he was a great man and amazing conservationist but he was not a perfect person. The way he acted around these animals sometimes has been raising eyebrows with reptile experts for years.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
The worst he ever did was temporarily piss off an animal and then set it free. I think that shit is heavily outweighed by all the animals- sometimes huge crocodiles- he went out of his way and sometimes risked his life to save. Not to mention the general awareness he helped to create through his show. Give the guy a break.

shuri

Banned
echoshifting said:
The way he acted around these animals sometimes has been raising eyebrows with reptile experts for years.
Were those reptile experts running zoos and moving crocs across continents to save them?

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
:lol WWTDD.com had a pretty funny paragraph written for it:
A stingray? A damn stingray? This dude spent 40 hours a day poking dinosaurs with sticks and he gets it from a damn stingray? They're supposed to sting and ray things, not impale people who entertain me. They're damn fish, not Jason. You're not funny Irony. This is why everybody hates you.

still respectful but pretty funny, too. that's how it's done, people.

shuri said:
Were those reptile experts running zoos and moving crocs across continents to save them?

It's good that you quoted just the one line and took what I said out of context. That's great.

Some of you might be surprised by this, but it is possible to be sad that something horrible like this would happen, and to recognize the good a person did, while still criticizing some of their methods. Some of you guys are taking this pretty ****ing personally. Steve Irwin was a great man, and a great conservationist (as I said in my last post), but some of the deification taking place in this thread is just as bad as the assholes posting "funny" photoshops.

strikeselect

You like me, you really really like me!
Steve Irwin is still alive he's on an island with Elvis, Tupac, Biggie, Hitler, Kurt Cobain and Bruce Lee.

OmniGamer

I'll sum up my thoughts as such:

Am I surprised that something like this could happen? No

Am I surprised that something like this did happen? Yes!

I turn on the news, bleary eyed, and see some footage of him, and then they're talking about a new project, or at worst, he suffered some kind of non-fatal injury...then i turn up the volume and hear those typical "this person just died" type of words that news people use, and it definitely took me by surprise.

It's not like he's some random "jackass" type of pseudo-stunt guy just doing shit that causes bodily harm. He had a purpose, and his life was cut way too short. It only takes a fraction of a second to immediately think of all of the "'milestone" events in his childrens' lives that he'll never get to see...and that they'll never get to experience with him. That's all it takes to have a shred of sympathy and empathy regarding the situation.

Amir0x

Banned
BuggyLoop said:

You know him? i hope?

Im with himuro with these things, i mean, yea it sucks he died, really cool guy and all, but feel sadness or even cry for someone thats not related to you? Shit, i didnt even cry when one of my friend (mostly just a guy i knew and he was hanging with some of my other friends) died in car accident back in high school.

That's nice but clearly that's not how everyone is. Some individuals heavily impact and influence how someone chooses to live their life based on actions. The music of John Lennon; the politics of John F. Kennedy. Now, I'm not comparing Steve Irwin to these people for example but I'm just saying that it's not bad at all if someone cried over it. Maybe conservation was a big part of their life. Maybe they feel sorry when they know two kids and a wife are now alone in this world. People cry during movies for events that aren't even real.

iapetus said:
02-croc-inside.jpg

If that child isn't healthily crocodilophobic after that, then there's something wrong with him.

heh, Irwin's father did the same things to him apparently - this is part of getting them accustomed to being around these types of beasts day in and day out since that's part of the Irwin family legacy. It worked for Steve... until he came up against the Ray to end all Rays.

ghibli99

Haven't been online much this weekend, nor have I been watching much TV, either. This came as a surprise to me when my GF told me about it earlier today. RIP, Steve.

earlier I was perusing the talk section of wikipedia's article and found this little gem:
The article says he died september 4 at 11:00am but right now is september 4 and it's 2:40.Did he died september 3.User:Alfredosolis
to be able to use the Internet, a computer even, should imply that you know what a "time zone" is but apparently it doesn't. :lol

This an ironic quote he said awhile back: "If something ever happens to me, people are gonna be like 'we knew a croc would get him!'"

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
Can't believe he died. I've been a fan of his since the late 90's. He was an outrageous guy who will be missed. :(

this is a sad day. :(

the guy had balls of steel. He was entertaining, informative, and went great distances to educate people on things most of us will never experience.

J2 Cool

I can't help but respect the man for everything. The saddest part is his family growing up without him, and that's pretty upsetting. But his passion and influence for what he did though was so massive that the effects of it will be felt for a long time, and spawn countless others in his footsteps.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
CNN has a piece up saying that he was actually out filming a documentary with Phillippe Coustaeu, grandson of Jacques. It was raining that day so he decided to go and start filming other stuff for a show he wanted to do with his daughter, and thought some underwater stuff would be fun. Stingrays have a habit of hiding themselves in sand, and when Irwin dove in he dove in almost right on top of it. He never even saw the thing, the cameraman said, and had inadvertently boxed it in... didn't even know it til there was a puff of sand, a stingray floating away and Irwin had been attacked.

Sooo, yeah. It seems like he wanted nothign to do with the stingray and didn't even know there was one til it was too late. Dude seriously just wanted to dive. So all the people making jokes about him deserving it from provoking the animals... he didn't. Well, at least not intentionally, in this case.

Burger

echoshifting said:
Some of you guys are taking this pretty ****ing personally.

If you think this is over reacting take a look at half of the threads in the gaming forum.

FFS an inspiration to part of the world just passed away and some people are bummed, OK ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom