• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

I just finished it. I really really liked it and knew nothing about it going into it. Sadly, my biggest complaint is that I really disliked the last 90 seconds of the show.

Pachimari

Just started this up and have seen the first two episodes (well, got 14 minutes left of the second episode) and it is damn nice. The way the soundtrack kicks in to build tension and mystery, the way the cinematography can make it look so beautiful with the flashlights and the effects, and the acting by the kids as well as the adult is very great. I'm really liking the chief police officer, and the "weirdo" girl. And it seems interesting where the different plot points are going and how they're related.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
So I'm up to episode 4, having just started. I like it for what it is: an 80's homage. Yes, it checks off all of the trope boxes, but that's what it is meant to do.

Having said that, I do not like the two sidekick kids. The main kid, who is friends with 11, I like his character. The others, not so much, but that's just me hating kids probably.

My favorite character so far is Hopper. Very much enjoy his scenes, the actor is bringing a lot to the table in every scene.

As a child of the 80s (I'm 41), it definitely harkens back to that era, albeit sometimes at its own detriment.

Firing this up tonight after reading the glowing impressions in this thread. Looking forward to seeing it after reading all the praise. Hope it's as fantastic as you guys say it is!

Pachimari

Is there anywhere I can find the lyrics for some of the songs? I'm pretty sure I heard Philippines mentioned in the credits song of Episode 2 or it might just have been another word like "seventeen" or something.

Is there anywhere I can find the lyrics for some of the songs? I'm pretty sure I heard Philippines mentioned in the credits song of Episode 2 or it might just have been another word like "seventeen" or something.

That's just the Bangles cover of Hazy Shade of Winter. All the songs are 80s songs, so their lyrics should be online if you identify which song it is.

Obscura

Currently on my first viewing and during the scene in ep 4 with the guy
going through the opening
I was sitting there going "why didn't they just use real ultra slime? Could they not afford it somehow?"

And then I saw the
animatronic deer
. There's that explained.

Really enjoying it by the way. I'll probably end up watching the whole season over the course of today.

Edit: And right after that real slime/slime webbing. Huh... Odd thing to notice, I know.

3rdman

And this is an aside, but I really hate how Nancy was curled up in Steve's arm at the end. Yeah, I get it, she didn't have to be with Jonathan, this doesn't need to be shipping wars - but why in the fuck is she with this clown.
I loved that actually
it was nice that their arc played against expectations. Even so Steve was never actually a dick. He always treated Nancy with respect and eventually grew a pair to stand up to his friends and the monster.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
So I'm up to episode 4, having just started. I like it for what it is: an 80's homage. Yes, it checks off all of the trope boxes, but that's what it is meant to do.

Having said that, I do not like the two sidekick kids. The main kid, who is friends with 11, I like his character. The others, not so much, but that's just me hating kids probably.

My favorite character so far is Hopper. Very much enjoy his scenes, the actor is bringing a lot to the table in every scene.

As a child of the 80s (I'm 41), it definitely harkens back to that era, albeit sometimes at its own detriment.

Keep watching. Dustin will grow on you. He's awesome.

I just finished it. I really really liked it and knew nothing about it going into it. Sadly, my biggest complaint is that I really disliked the last 90 seconds of the show.

I'm with you on that. Watched the entire show today (and tonight, it's 4am here ffs), and the end stuff didn't really do it for me.

That being said. Show was fantastic in most respects.

Nudull

Banned
At the halfway mark, finishing episode 4.

Show has been damn amazing, so far. Kids and teens are written decently, the plot is engaging, and the atmosphere is on point. It's pretty beholden to being an 80's homage, which works, though not perfectly. You'll also be predicting some of the conclusions to the plot's mysteries fairly easily, even for someone like me who went in as dark as possible. Eleven is awesome, and Winona Ryder is super-enjoyable to watch. :)

Mariolee

Has any news site created an article about the constant theme of "Should I Stay or Should I Go?" and the ramifications of such a simple decision?

We see it with pretty much every character with the most obvious example with Joyce, Steve, and El.

AgeEighty

Reminder that volume 1 of the soundtrack is available digitally today. Up on iTunes/Apple Music.

I was looking forward to the release, but I was hoping it would show up in hi-res on Bandcamp or HDTracks or somewhere. Since I don't use iTunes or Apple Music it looks like I'm waiting for the CD release next month.

And this is an aside, but I really hate how Nancy was curled up in Steve's arm at the end. Yeah, I get it, she didn't have to be with Jonathan, this doesn't need to be shipping wars - but why in the fuck is she with this clown.

Well for one he realized the error of his ways and redeemed himself, and truly likes Nancy.

Secondly I vastly prefer her going back to Steve than the alternative which is such a horrible trope. The whole "I fell in love with you while fighting for our lives now I realize what a good guy you are let's be lovers" angle is so bad on so many levels. And it's honestly way worse than her and Steve when you take a second to think about it.

And of course all this could come back in a season 2 as well.

Pretty much.

Jonathan draws a pretty damning comparison between Nancy and Steve and her folks and their less than ideal marriage, they could easily pick that thread backup and have Nancy realize Steve is the same safe choice that her dad was and boom the love triangle angle is back on.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I think I'd prefer them to go to a totally new set of characters and scenario.

They left some things open, but to me it feels this story is "done".

The creators are not going the anthology route. I feel like the mods should add this into the thread title already lol

Chronoja

I think I'd prefer them to go to a totally new set of characters and scenario.

They left some things open, but to me it feels this story is "done".

That's what I've been hoping for. Treat the show like an multi episode version of the Twilight Zone. Pick something crazy and expand it beyond what 1 episode or a movie could do. Some mysteries are just best left open ended and hanging, the imagination does more than any direct continuation could do.

HStallion

That's what I've been hoping for. Treat the show like an multi episode version of the Twilight Zone. Pick something crazy and expand it beyond what 1 episode or a movie could do. Some mysteries are just best left open ended and hanging, the imagination does more than any direct continuation could do.

Its not happening.

Jake.

just finished, great show - spookiest intro score since unsolved mysteries.

2 questions bugging me:

so barb died? how? she was in the pool, and then was taken by the monster - did the monster kill her? why not will as well?

how did hopper escape the lab the first time he broke in (episode 3 or whatever)?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
just finished, great show - spookiest intro score since unsolved mysteries.

2 questions bugging me:

so barb died? how? she was in the pool, and then was taken by the monster - did the monster kill her? why not will as well?

how did hopper escape the lab the first time he broke in (episode 3 or whatever)?

Barb was trapped in the pool in unfamiliar territory, whereas Will was on home turf and (obviously) escaped. The monster actually seemed limited in its senses, as in somewhat blind and deaf, given how easily it seems it could be avoided, so unsurprising Will was able to escape and avoid capture by hiding.

At the end though, it seems Will was captured and rather than being eaten he was being used as an incubator or something.

I'm guessing the lab thought taking out the local police chief would have attracted too much attention. Seems like they returned him to his house and tried to make it seem like he was drunk, taking the opportunity to bug his house in the process. I initially thought with all the booze and pills they had drugged him and made it look like suicide which he had shrugged off but that doesn't seem to be the case.

WhiteWolf

4 episodes in and it hasn't really done much to capture my interest, but I'm all for more 80's throwback shows. Most of my favorite sci-fi, horror, and action films were made in the 80's.

HStallion

http://uk.businessinsider.com/stranger-things-netflix-ratings-2016-8?r=US&IR=T

Well Stranger things is a hit, a giant one that is bigger than most any other Netflix show. From the article:

SymphonyAM tells Business Insider that in the first 16 days, 8.2 million people watched "Stranger Things," which puts it ahead of all Netflix's recent releases except "Fuller House" and the new "Orange Is the New Black" season. It ranks before "Daredevil," "Jessica Jones," "House of Cards," and "Narcos...

...It currently has a 94% Rotten Tomatoes critic rating, a 96% audience rating, and it has sent the internet abuzz since it was released in mid-July. Analysts from Pacific Crest even take it as evidence that Netflix's system for producing shows is working the way it's supposed to.

screen%20shot%202016-08-10%20at%201.26.50%20pm.png

And the glowing praise just keeps on coming. :) I've been meaning to fire this up for days now. I think tonight's the night. I'm going to marathon the first few episodes and see how it goes. The impressions in this thread are just glowing - you all seem to love the show. It has encouraged me to give this a shot. I'll report back later with impressions!

Kazuhira

I think Mike's dad might be the most pointless character I've ever seen. I don't remember him ever contributing anything to the show.
Mike's dad is the very definition of 'i don't give a fuck',
dude was sleeping in the hospital while the others were worried about will's condition.

.JayZii

Banned
I really enjoyed this a lot. I was a bit worried about it just being a pandering, referential morass, but it surpassed its influences and became it's own thing for sure. The directing, performances and score were all a pleasure to take in.

I watched the Redlettermedia review, and they seemed convinced the second season would be a direct sequel, which is a bit of a bummer. I thought this show would be a fantastic venue for an anthology series like American Horror Story or True Detective, but oh well. I don't even know how they would go about a direct sequel second season, but I'm open to being surprised.

I really enjoyed this a lot. I was a bit worried about it just being a pandering, referential morass, but it surpassed its influences and became it's own thing for sure. The directing, performances and score were all a pleasure to take in.

I watched the Redlettermedia review, and they seemed convinced the second season would be a direct sequel, which is a bit of a bummer. I thought this show would be a fantastic venue for an anthology series like American Horror Story or True Detective, but oh well. I don't even know how they would go about a direct sequel second season, but I'm open to being surprised.

Did you not watch the last like 5 minutes of the show? They easily set up a sequel, however I agree that I would have preferred the show go the anthology route.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Did you not watch the last like 5 minutes of the show? They easily set up a sequel, however I agree that I would have preferred the show go the anthology route.

Well, sure, they had "unresolved things". But for the most part he mystery is gone, and the participants themselves are operating under "forget this ever happened" rules.

So, yeah, they could carry on from here and pick up the loose threads. But my personal opinion (and yours apparently) is the ending is stronger with what went teased and unresolved, and a second season starting afresh with some new whackiness would be my preference.

But apparently they aren't doing that. I just hope they don't retroactively spoil my enjoyment of S1 with wherever they go from here.

zoodoo

Holy shit this show is amazing. I needed a sci fi show in my vein and I feel like I am finally getting my fix.
I love the 80's aesthetic and the soundtrack.

mm04

But apparently they aren't doing that. I just hope they don't retroactively spoil my enjoyment of S1 with wherever they go from here.

Yeah sort of how the LA Kings retroactively spoiled my enjoyment of 2 championship parades and rallies because they stank it up lately...

Awesome show.

I hope they don't do a Lost though.

Those kids are gonna grow up pretty quickly soon, so I hope they're already starting on Season 2.

Watched the first two episodes last night and you guys are right - it's awesome. Loving the soundtrack and 80s ambience and aesthetic. It's a great show and I highly recommend it to everyone. I'm only two episodes in but I love it so far. Going to marathon more episodes later tonight!

HStallion

Awesome show.

I hope they don't do a Lost though.

Those kids are gonna grow up pretty quickly soon, so I hope they're already starting on Season 2.

The kid who plays Dustin's voice changed so much they couldn't go back and rerecord lines for him. I think they're planning season 2 as almost a movie sequel so I'm expecting they're actually waiting for the kids to hit puberty a bit harder and incorporating into the story.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/stranger-things-netflix-ratings-2016-8?r=US&IR=T

Well Stranger things is a hit, a giant one that is bigger than most any other Netflix show. From the article:

From right inside that article:

Note: Netflix in the past has disputed SymphonyAM's data, calling it inaccurate. For a full explanation of its methods, see our interview with the startup's CEO.

Netflix does not release viewership numbers or data to anyone.

Top Bottom