• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stranger Things |OT| Hey, you guys...it's our time. It's our time in here July 15th

Binged it all today. Absolutely loved the show. Quite literally every episode was enjoyable and there was always something going on to keep me vested in everything going on.

I

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Terminator Eleven was so cool, lol. I enjoyed her
messing up the bullies
way too much.

Jonathon's actor reminds me of if you put Norman Reedus, Benicio Del Toro, Ethan Hawke, and Edward Furlong in a blender together.
I kept thinking of David Bowie, lol

Steve
had his redemption. He stood up to his asshole friends and decided he was too good for them, helped clean up the movie theater marquee, went back to Nancy and Jonathan to apologize, and ended up helping to save the day.

Technically,
Nancy never did break up with him. At the end she basically had her choice of who she wanted to be with. She chose to stay with Steve. I definitely wasn't expecting that, but I don't necessarily see anything wrong with it either. The heart wants what the heart wants.
Yeah.
I prefer that over her going out with Jonathan which would have been horribly cliché.

Well for one he realized the error of his ways and redeemed himself, and truly likes Nancy.

Secondly I vastly prefer her going back to Steve than the alternative which is such a horrible trope. The whole "I fell in love with you while fighting for our lives now I realize what a good guy you are let's be lovers" angle is so bad on so many levels. And it's honestly way worse than her and Steve when you take a second to think about it.
This

The kid who plays Dustin's voice changed so much they couldn't go back and rerecord lines for him. I think they're planning season 2 as almost a movie sequel so I'm expecting they're actually waiting for the kids to hit puberty a bit harder and incorporating into the story.

Duffer brothers have said Season 2 will be a 1 Year forward time jump

guek

Banned
I binged it for a second time over the weekend. That's a first for me, though I probably wouldn't have if the show were any longer. The length is perfect.

I gotta say, I love Hopper's introduction. He comes across as a complete asshole at first but the show slowly reveals that he's really just bored and depressed before Will's disappearance.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just finished this show in a day.

All I got say is

tumblr_n06su2DuTh1r7sku3o1_500.gif

Just finished watching with the folks. Thought it was pretty good, not amazing, but well worth watching.

Good acting, solid directing, all together a solid package.

I will say my biggest problem with the show is that
I didn't find the monster particularly scary. I found the situation scary, but the more I saw of the monster, the more I found it kinda wimpy.

Permanently A

Just finished. I really fucking enjoyed it. Favorite character was Hopper by far. Two questions:

Why did Hopper get in the car with the agents? For a second I thought they were gonna reveal he was a fed all along.

Why did they let Hopper go after he found the gate? I mean they killed Benny for way less.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Just finished. I really fucking enjoyed it. Favorite character was Hopper by far. Two questions:

Why did Hopper get in the car with the agents? For a second I thought they were gonna reveal he was a fed all along.

Why did they let Hopper go after he found the gate? I mean they killed Benny for way less.

My initial read on that was his deal negotiation actually includes sacrificing himself, and he was being picked up to be disappeared. But given he turns up later on, I guess they get him to do stuff for them now, also part of the deal?

My only guess there is they felt killing a cop would have brought too much heat when things were already escalating.

Just started watching it this weekend. Finished the first 3 episodes.

1) Is it safe to read this thread for fear of spoilers?
2) Does it get better from here?

Rydeen

Just started watching it this weekend. Finished the first 3 episodes.

1) Is it safe to read this thread for fear of spoilers?
2) Does it get better from here?

1) Most spoilers are blacked out, so I wouldn't worry about it. I would recommend you finish the show before reading the thread though.

2) Definitely.

Rydeen

I assume the guys he was talking to weren't part of Dr. Brenner's program, but from the CIA directly. We can assume all they knew about Brenner's program was that they were testing telekinetic powers to assassinate KGB agents and Kremlin higher-ups, not making contact with monsters from other dimensions. I'm sure Brenner's team knew they fucked up bad and were going to get the plug pulled until shit really started going down, so we can assume the CIA made a deal with Hopper to keep tabs on the situation in the town in case any inter-dimensional activity continued.

Edit: Sorry for the dp

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Finished the last 3 episodes last night and went to bed at 1. Hot damn that was an engaging show. So many great performances.

The scenes with Hopper and his daughter in the last episode hurt so much.

Stopped after Episode 5. Will not watch any more.

Slow, meandering, boring, NOT well acted at all, never funny, always predictable.

Reference to Under the Skin cemented this as a grab-all SO META reference-munching and ultimately empty shell of a series.

Seriously, guys, this is everything that's wrong with today's mass culture. It's a reboot/remake in disguise.

If you want great, subtle references in a genre setting with nuanced characters you actually care about, in hard to predict yet sensical situations with actual dramatic consequences, watch The Americans.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Slow, meandering, boring, NOT well acted at all, never funny, always predictable.

Reference to Under the Skin cemented this as a grab-all SO META reference-munching and ultimately empty shell of a series.

Seriously, guys, this is everything that's wrong with today's mass culture. It's a reboot/remake in disguise.

If you want great, subtle references in a genre setting with nuanced characters you actually care about, in hard to predict yet sensical situations with actual dramatic consequences, watch The Americans.

Well you surely convinced me...

this is a joke post right?

Permanently A

I was born in 95 so I don't have any nostalgia for the 80s. The movies like IT, Stephen King stuff, Goonies, etc I haven't watched. So my like for the series doesn't come out of nostalgia. I just think its an interesting story with likeable characters. I also have to disagree with your acting critique, I think these are some of the best child actors I've ever seen. The only weak point is overacting by Winona Ryder and the bullies hamming it up on occasion.

Tankard

OpkQtnd.gif

I was born in 95 so I don't have any nostalgia for the 80s. The movies like IT, Stephen King stuff, Goonies, etc I haven't watched. So my like for the series doesn't come out of nostalgia. I just think its an interesting story with likeable characters. I also have to disagree with your acting critique, I think these are some of the best child actors I've ever seen. The only weak point is overacting by Winona Ryder and the bullies hamming it up on occasion.

Perhaps the series is more enjoyable if you haven't seen/read anything it steals from. If you like it so much, though, I would strongly advise that you read/watch all the things it quotes because, well... They're all much, much better than this.

P.S. I purposefully say "steal from" instead of "pays homage to". It's not an homage if your work can't stand alone without it.

LOL The Americans.

I'd rather re-watch the finale of Dexter.

HStallion

Perhaps the series is more enjoyable if you haven't seen/read anything it steals from. If you like it so much, though, I would strongly advise that you read/watch all the things it quotes because, well... They're all much, much better than this.

P.S. I purposefully say "steal from" instead of "pays homage to". It's not an homage if your work can't stand alone without it.

I think it stands perfectly fine by itself and I find it a bit laughable that you compared it to the American's as somehow more well crafted and "sensical". Its an entertaining show but the two leads are basically Rambo by the second season, they should have been killed or caught a dozen times but happen stance or some character randomly interfering for the plots sake alters that. It works in most cases but sometimes it happens A LOT and the show can be incredibly melodramatic. I enjoy both by the way but again, I think you're really stretching to make your sound more convincing than you really are. You really don't like Stranger Things but lets not start getting ahead of ourselves.

LOL The Americans.

I'd rather re-watch the finale of Dexter.
The fact that you made it to the finale of Dexter says more about you than your opinion of The Americans.

I think it stands perfectly fine by itself and I find it a bit laughable that you compared it to the American's as somehow more well crafted and "sensical". Its an entertaining show but the two leads are basically Rambo by the second season, they should have been killed or caught a dozen times but happen stance or some character randomly interfering for the plots sake alters that. It works in most cases but sometimes it happens A LOT and the show can be incredibly melodramatic. I enjoy both by the way but again, I think you're really stretching to make your sound more convincing than you really are. You really don't like it but lets not start getting ahead of ourselves.
In the confines of its own genre, The Americans makes sense. I didn't say that Stranger Things didn't make sense in the genre it's playing (although there ARE plot holes here and there).

I don't look to genre fiction for realism. But I definitely want some surprises out of it, especially if they make sense within the universe it's creating. I haven't seen any surprise in Stranger Things. Everything that happened is the first thing you'd think of in this particular genre if you're a little versed in it.

I had high hopes for the show, considering I'm a big sci-fi/horror fanboy. Sadly, it's very much by-the-numbers stuff. :(

Does the Americans remind you of The Goonies or ET? No? Then GTFO with the comparison.

And I don't agree with slow, meandering, boring, NOT well acted (compare these child actors to the Harry Potter crew)...

Thanks for stating how greatly our taste differ though.

HStallion

The fact that you made it to the finale of Dexter says more about you than your opinion of The Americans.

In the confines of its own genre, The Americans makes sense. I didn't say that Stranger Things didn't make sense in the genre it's playing (although there ARE plot holes here and there).

I don't look to genre fiction for realism. But I definitely want some surprises out of it, especially if they make sense within the universe it's creating. I haven't seen any surprise in Stranger Things. Everything that happened is the first thing you'd think of in this particular genre if you're a little versed in it.

I had high hopes for the show, considering I'm a big sci-fi/horror fanboy. Sadly, it's very much by-the-numbers stuff. :(

If you claim to be such a big fan you can see how they flip several classic tropes on their heads by the second episode.
For example the classic the virgin is the one who survives to the end trope is thrown out of the window and actually reversed when Barb is the one who gets taken and killed for example.

Permanently A

Well in terms of trope subversion I do appreciate that

The monster is actually a fucking horrible threat and not the kids imaginations running wild.

The sheriff turns out not to be a total incompetent buffoon and actually has a very heartfelt backstory driving him.

The asshole boyfriend redeems himself and gets the girl. The girl doesn't fall for the lonely outcast just because they were in danger together and at the end they are friends.

What would an unquestionable opinion be, I wonder?

You can't talk shit about the Wire.

HStallion

Well in terms of trope subversion I do appreciate that

The monster is actually a fucking horrible threat and not the kids imaginations running wild.

The sheriff turns out not to be a total incompetent buffoon and actually has a very heartfelt backstory driving him.

The asshole boyfriend redeems himself and gets the girl. The girl doesn't fall for the lonely outcast just because they were in danger together and at the end they are friends.

Don't forget
The black kid/guy doesn't get killed first either.

Palmer_v1

Don't forget
The black kid/guy doesn't get killed first either.

I would add:

There is an actual government conspiracy, and they're not the typical bumbling idiots.

Despite it being kids, they don't really pull punches when it comes to 11 eliminating threats.

I'm with Foreign Jackass. The show goes exactly where you expect, the characters have no depth and REMAIN cliche even with a subversion or two, the acting is so-so (these ain't no Stand By Me or Mean Creek kids), the fantasy aspect is totally off-the-rack, and the plot is mostly pretty predictable.

I'm with Foreign Jackass. The show goes exactly where you expect, the characters have no depth and REMAIN cliche even with a subversion or two, the acting is so-so (these ain't no Stand By Me or Mean Creek kids), the fantasy aspect is totally off-the-rack, and the plot is mostly pretty predictable.

You do realize that the show is SUPPOSED to be cliché, trope-filled, and predictable, right? That's the whole point.

It's an homage. It's not necessarily trying to break new ground.

HStallion

I don't need really need a story to go unexpected or surprising places to be good, I'd rather well told and and straight forward than relying on surprises and shocks to cover up for a weak overall plot and to tease you to come back when the actual story and characters can't. Also what does depth equate to you because I found all the characters to be well rounded, seemed to have lives outside of the show's story, and all interacted and worked with one another in realistic and believable manners. It never felt forced to me. Same with the acting, I thought it was great all around the board and is the best group of teenagers and kids I've seen in years.

Tom_Cody

Can someone point me in the direction of a nice Dustin shirt? Barring other suggestions I am going to get one of these images custom printed on a shirt.

MBbnYrG.jpg

pfAazxr.jpg

Top Bottom