• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V introducing "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" branding

Just how angry are you about the SFV PS4 Console Exclusive branding?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yagharek

We're on a gaming forum, we're familiar with the terminology. It's not hard to imagine Joe Average looking at this and thinking "Gee, this game is exclusive to the PS4 console!". Which it isn't.

Joe Average will probably see the box in a shop in the PS4 section then when he turns the corner see it in the PC section too.

Joe is not going to lose any sleep over it; its not a big deal.

And who knows, maybe Joe 2 will see the PC version first and call Fox News.

We're on a gaming forum, we're familiar with the terminology. It's not hard to imagine Joe Average looking at this and thinking "Gee, this game is exclusive to the PS4 console!". Which it isn't.

And let's just say they do say that, what terrible event happens next?

Hex

Banned
Exactly. And that's not the same thing. Thus the ambiguity.

If Joe Average is a PC user interested in SFV he already knows that it is coming out for PC.
Let's not make people idiots to fit some kind of scenario.
Not to mention Joe Average will already have it lined up on Steam.
PC gamers are not Joe Average, especially the type that would be interested in a fighting game on PC
NOBODY goes to Best Buy/Walmart/Target to window shop pc games.

Seriously though, Joe Average who only owns an X1 in this situation is simply out of luck.

Joe Average who owns a gaming PC
and is somehow in Gamestop for PC games?lol
sees PS4 console exclusive on SFV, will ask an attendant if its on PC/google shit.

He'll get home and download the game off Steam.
Who is losing out in this magical fantasy land?
The mind boggles.

Spider apocalypse.

Onopocalypse!

#

And some people will know exactly what it means. Who cares? The fact of the matter is, there are no lies on this box. The fact that some people won't understand what the term means doesn't suddenly make it disingenuous. There is zero scandal here.

Because that's not how the words are placed. I already covered this several times. Do you think Sony chose this design randomly or something?

What do you mean 'that's not how the words are placed'? The term console exclusive is pretty cut and dry and pretty different to 'PS4 exclusive' or 'Only on PlayStation'. If Joe Public doesn't get the terminology then that's his problem, not Sony's. The wording is no different to the wording they've explicitly used since the game was announced in 2014. Don't see why it's a problem all of a sudden.

I'm done anyways. Dumbfounded at how ludicrous this is lol

Nozem

Well nothing. My entire point is that the phrasing on the label is ambiguous. A bit like Microsofts "This holiday exclusive for X1" about Tomb Raider. Same thing.

If you agree with my post there is no way you can believe there is ambiguity about the box. lol

Stop acting dumb.

"SFV is console exclusive to PS4".
"SFV is exclusive to the PS4 console".

Those are different statements, but both can be inferred from the label. That's ambiguity,

Fredrik

For Joe Average it will likely be exclusive to the PS4 console since I doubt that he will have a PC capable of running it. Even people on this board see the PC versions as more or less nonexistent unless they have a gaming PC.

Well nothing. My entire point is that the phrasing on the label is ambiguous. A bit like Microsofts "This holiday exclusive for X1" about Tomb Raider. Same thing.
Except they've been completely clear and up front about a PC release since they announced it, no commas at all. You seem like you want to be upset about this.

Even if it was designed to be ambiguous, who is it going to fool?

If that answer is no one, it's a complete non-issue. Could you enlighten us as to any scenario where someone is harmed by this, at all?

raw
image.php

It seems you can't have a discussion with anyone that disagrees with you without you taking the piss. That'll take you far.

OK Jackie. Let me give you my point for one last time in an easy to understand manner:

Your issue is with the wording. As I've stated before Sony branding this game as a "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" is technically correct as despite the availability on PC, PC's are not classed in the same group as dedicated Video Gaming consoles. Again it is technically correct which is why Sony is using it. They did put thought into it changing from the alternate branding of "Only on Playstation".

"Only on Playstation" would be false to use for this game, as it will appear on other "platforms". This whole argument or discussion (depending on your investment) is based around linguistic semantics.

Also your point on the "font" and "placement"

5dUqnn2.jpg

I've also circled it for you. You think within the whole real estate of this cover the fact that two lines have different fonts, regardless of there position or clear grouping will cause people to read them as individual statements? I think not as people can clearly make out the meaning behind it.

SFV is a PS4 console exclusive. It's available on only 1 singular Video game console. Xbox One isn't getting it, nor is a Nintendo console (for the initial release to be correct).

I agree Sony thought this out clearly and are using the selective wording to avoid announcing overtly that it will also be available on PC. However they have no need to. It was clear at the reveal it would be available on PS4 as well as PC. It'd be great if they had transparency and declared the PC version also, but we all know why they don't. It's a tag line that adds an air of "exclusivity" to the platform that, unless PC's are classed as Video Game consoles will stand as technically correct and justified.

DigSCCP

Except they've been completely clear and up front about a PC release since they announced it, no commas at all. You seem like you want to be upset about this.

If that answer is no one, it's a complete non-issue. Could you enlighten us as to any scenario where someone is harmed by this, at all?

MS was clear at ROTR announcement? LOL

Nozem

I'm not upset at all. I just like argueing over stupid shit while being technically correct.

I don't know if it will fool/harm anybody, most likely not. That is irrelevant to the point I was making though.

TBiddy

Considering it literally reads like this:

"PS4 Console \n\r Exclusive Game"

it's not unfathomable that some will see it as a game exclusive to the "PS4 Console", which we all know isn't true. I made a case for the branding being "misleading" earlier in the thread and stand by it.

JordanN

Banned
You know, I'm not surprised anymore that there's actually controversy over this.

Remember it wasn't a while ago someone actually tried to sue Sony over a video game being 1080p.

I can imagine someone right now is plotting out the same thing.

"I'm going to SUE Sony over leaving out PC on a boxart intended for a Playstation video game!"

Personally I'll be disappointed if I open up the case and there isn't a PS4 inside.

Sony should also rebrand every multiplatform game to have an 'ALSO ON XBOX' logo. It's only fair.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Considering it literally reads like this:

"PS4 Console \n\r Exclusive Game"

it's not unfathomable that some will see it as a game exclusive to the "PS4 Console", which we all know isn't true. I made a case for the branding being "misleading" earlier in the thread and stand by it.

Why do you care? Seriously. You think this will actually help lose sales for the PC version?

Hyunashi

I really cant see the ambiguity. It is a PS4 console exclusive and PC is not a console. PC is a platform however and its not like the case says PLATFORM exclusive.

Also, its hilarious people are comparing this situation to TR. SF5 has been announced for the PC for ages. Sony, for all accounts and purposes, helped with its development and yet it is still coming to the PC.

But on topic: I really cant see the ambiguity, but maybe I misjudge the mind of any other normal person. I dont see why there is a need to get into an uproar over this and brand it with 'Sony too' styled arguments. Maybe they should not have branded it as such, but at the end of the day, I care mainly for my own money and know I will be getting it, with or without what is written on the cover.

MUnited83

For you.
#

And some people will know exactly what it means. Who cares? The fact of the matter is, there are no lies on this box. The fact that some people won't understand what the term means doesn't suddenly make it disingenuous. There is zero scandal here.

What do you mean 'that's not how the words are placed'? The term console exclusive is pretty cut and dry and pretty different to 'PS4 exclusive' or 'Only on PlayStation'. If Joe Public doesn't get the terminology then that's his problem, not Sony's. The wording is no different to the wording they've explicitly used since the game was announced in 2014. Don't see why it's a problem all of a sudden.

I'm done anyways. Dumbfounded at how ludicrous this is lol
Holy shit, it's like you didn't read a single one of my posts. Congrats!

Just want to point out, they're not different fucking fonts. They're different sizes and one is set in bold, but they're not different fonts.

TBiddy

What exact rights are being violated?

None. But part of consumer rights also includes misleading advertising. The policies about advertising is very different here in Denmark, compared to the rules in the US, so I'm solely speaking from a Danish point of view, since I'm not 100% familiar with the rules in the US.

edit:

To elaborate. I don't see the branding as false advertising, per se, but it could definitely be viewed as misleading, especially in Denmark. I don't think it'll cost many - if any at all - sales, but that's besides the point, really.

None. But part of consumer rights also includes misleading advertising. The policies about advertising is very different here in Denmark, compared to the rules in the US, so I'm solely speaking from a Danish point of view, since I'm not 100% familiar with the rules in the US.

edit:

To elaborate. I don't see the branding as false advertising, per se, but it could definitely be viewed as misleading, especially in Denmark. I don't think it'll cost many - if any at all - sales, but that's besides the point, really.
Just take the L

John Wick

Matt I think we're there.

When people are inferring some PC gamers will accidentally buy the ps4 version of the game at retail due to labeling, we've gone over the hill lol.

I just recently helped my friend (average Joe Blogs)get a decent PC made for work purposes and to use as a games machine too. I recommended him to get a Blu-ray drive etc. Anyway to cut a long story short he asked me what games I had for PC. So I named some games and he asked if he could borrow them. I explained to him their on Steam and I can't borrow him them. Lol! He didn't even know what Steam was and that you download games.
Anyone who's a PC gamer is clued up.

I just recently helped my friend (average Joe Blogs)get a decent PC made for work purposes and to use as a games machine too. I recommended him to get a Blu-ray drive etc. Anyway to cut a long story short he asked me what games I had for PC. So I named some games and he asked if he could borrow them. I explained to him their on Steam and I can't borrow him them. Lol! He didn't even know what Steam was and that you download games.
Anyone who's a PC gamer is clued up.

Heh, interesting. You're friend definitely is not a PC gamer by any stretch of the imagination.
Once he fires up steam eventually, I'm sure he'll know he can get SFV there though ;)

I don't even know what that means.

Take the Loss i.e. give it a rest.

I don't see how it isn't clearly a dick move for Sony to try and be intentionally misleading, people are just writing it off like "oh it's not lying, just misleading"....okay.

I get not being up in arms over this, but to criticize people for taking issue with blatant marketing tactics surprises me. PlayStation didn't have to do this.

I don't see how it isn't clearly a dick move for Sony to try and be intentionally misleading, people are just writing it off like "oh it's not lying, just misleading"....okay.

If Sony were intentionally being misleading that would be a dick move. IF...
That's where the 'debate' lies.

TBiddy

So what rights have been lost or compromised by that slogan on the SFV box???

I know there's a lot of posts on Neogaf, but would it kill you to at least read the last page of this thread?

I get not being up in arms over this, but to criticize people for taking issue with blatant marketing tactics surprises me. PlayStation didn't have to do this.

Thanks. Glad to see there are other sensible people out there. It's not like Sony is going to get charged for violating human rights or anything, but of course they knew what they were doing, when they made that branding on the box.

Relay this travesty to your local consumer rights authority. See what happens.

No need to be condescending. It's doesn't make you cool.

Top Bottom