• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V introducing "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" branding

Just how angry are you about the SFV PS4 Console Exclusive branding?

Results are only viewable after voting.
People are crazy in this thread. I think it's one of the least offensive "only on" labels I've seen, and it's more honest than the one's that were blatantly untrue in the past.

If Sony were actually insecure about this, the game would be a true PS4 exclusive. I'm glad they were open to allowing the game on PC as well, and I'm happy that Microsoft is moving in this direction as well it seems. If a game is a point of difference to your competitors console that has 98% the same titles, go ahead and advertise it!

And people STILL think that some version of this is coming to Xbox One? Let. It. Go.

This thread is bonkers. I'm not understanding all the vitriol. Looks fine to me? Not a new thing, right? But everyone and their cousin is fired up for some reason.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Unnecessary and not very elegant. Console exclusive term should be reserved for PR statements if they are asked about it by the press, it should not be on press conferences or game boxes.

It really doesn't matter tho.

Having the game as a console exclusive for the PS4 and not a making a big fuss out of it would be a stronger statement.

Maybe to the tiny percentage of us who live on NeoGAF and already know everything about what's exclusive to what. When addressing the general market, making no statement makes no statement.

Am I really concerned or concerned? this is hard
patrice.png

Skilletor

Unnecessary and not very elegant. Console exclusive term should be reserved for PR statements if they are asked about it by the press, it should not be on press conferences or game boxes.

It really doesn't matter tho.

Having the game as a console exclusive for the PS4 and not a making a big fuss out of it would be a stronger statement.

Nah, I'd rather they make a big fuss about the game and let people know it's coming out so that it sells more copies and a game I love gets supported because it's doing so well.

Plz sony, make a huge fuss.

Sakura

Not really seeing who it would be misleading.
All those PC gamers coming into Gamestop looking for copies of SFV?
PC gamers will see it advertised on the front page of Steam.
The only people I could see really getting confused by the branding, are casual consumers who'd be getting it for PS4 anyway.

orochi91

It may confuse the hypothetical (and entirely nonexistent) PC causal gamer who does no research whatsoever on SFV and happens to be walking through a store to chance upon this game, where he will see PS4 CONSOLE EXCLUSIVE on the logo and decide to buy it on the spot, possibly along with a new PS4. He will then return home to his casual PC with a 570 in it, yknow cuz casuals always buy Nvidia and have decent gaming rigs sitting around, where he will FINALLY log into steam and see that Duplicitous, Arrogant Sony lied to him.

Think of the poor casual PC gamers who never buy their games on steam or do any kind of research and happen to have rigs built for gaming on the PC!

Not quite. The font sizes comes across as misleading.

Lmao

Ploid 3.0

Misleading and stupid label, but I doubt it'll make a difference either way. Most people tend to play fighters on consoles for whatever reason.

Easier to carry around a console, big user base focused on games and multiplayer same screen, more people can have a back up console, they are usually easier to find, easy to set up. The only reason I'm getting it on PC this time is it has cross play. If it didn't I would be buying a PS+ sub, and I figured that a fighting game would be the reason I'd finally bite the bullet on PS+.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Looks bad and so is the box art.Could have been "Only on PS4 and PC". But I don't think Sony acknowledge the PC's existence.

"Only on PS4 and PC"...............on a PS4 box. This makes twice now that such a ridiculous notion has been suggested. Why would Sony, who's trying to sell PS4s, acknowledge a different platform on the box? Think about that.

I may be coming late into this thread but these 'EXCLUSIVE' labels originated on the N64 (that is the earliest I remember seeing them because that was the first Nintendo console I owned) so they have been around a long time. Hell last gen Xbox had 'Xbox Exclusive' lables on games they ended up coming out on Ps4 so they didn't even publish the title and they were putting it up there. Atlest SFV is a Sony published title so we can be pretty confident it won't end up on any other consoles.

Ferrio

Banned
I've only peeked in this thread a couple of times and couldn't believe the insanity. Poll made me laugh when I saw it added.

melchior_

Ehh, doesn't bother me too much. Wish it was a little smaller because it is kind of an eyesore.

Also nice to finally see the actual Ryu statue we'll be getting instead of that computer rendered statue they've been showing for so damn long.

Pandy

Ach! I may be late on this, but I have to agree with those saying that it's 'dishonest'.

It's been deliberately designed to be as misleading as possible, while remaining technically correct, and if Sony didn't think they'd derive an undue benefit from that, it wouldn't be on the box.

le.phat

The kind of people who are gonna buy SFV on PC are the kind of people who probably already know SFV is coming to PC.
And there it is.

This thread is just filled with people eho are livid about Sony's success. Haven't enjoyed a salty threead like this in a while. Bueno ~

Everyone here knows where it's coming out, but if you try to deny that they havnt worded that and used font and spacing to convey a potentially different message to the average consumer, your in denial.

I personally think it is very clever of them. This is business. Adding the game part with the same font and size as exclusive.

The marketing designer deserves respect. Cleverly done

linkent

Sony puts no tag,
Yaay this is not exclusive, it will come to other consoles.

Sony put "Only on Playstation",
Wtf the game is on PC too, Sony lying again.

Sony put "PS4 Console exclusive game",
Wtf Sony is dishonest. That is misleading.

Sony put "available on PS4 and PC",
Wtf stupid Sony advertise for PC.

Imo this choice is the best, as it is clearly stated console PS4 only. IE. Not on X1.

Ploid 3.0

Sony puts no tag,
Yaay this is not exclusive, it will come to other consoles.

Sony put "Only on Playstation",
Wtf the game is on PC too, Sony lying again.

Sony put "PS4 Console exclusive game",
Wtf Sony is dishonest. That is misleading.

Sony put "available on PS4 and PC",
Wtf stupid Sony advertise for PC.

Imo this choice is the best, as it is clearly stated console PS4 only. IE. Not on X1.

I like this post.

Reading over some of the complaints about the wording makes me think of Anderson Cooper making a case for people that think Obama wants to take everyone's guns, and Obama assuring Anderson that the conspiracy is actually conspiracy. It seems like people are just reaching to be upset about something.

Again, Steam should have this game on the front page. No PC gamer will wonder if it's coming to PC unless they don't touch Steam and GOG, only using the computer for shopping on amazon, and Origin.

Nozem

Really misleading. A 'PS4' and a 'PS4 console' are the same thing, so there will be people who will interpret this as 'PS4 exclusive game'.

Smart move by Sony. Though it seems a bit like a false advertising lawsuit waiting to happen (in EU at least).

edit:

1) Is SFV console exclusive to the PS4? - Yes.

2) Is SFV exclusive to the PS4 console? - No.

The phrasing on the label fits #2 better than #1, and is therefore misleading.

That poll lol. Fitting for a bananas thread, was only a matter of time!

Ach! I may be late on this, but I have to agree with those saying that it's 'dishonest'.

It's been deliberately designed to be as misleading as possible, while remaining technically correct, and if Sony didn't think they'd derive an undue benefit from that, it wouldn't be on the box.

What would you have put on the box?
And who is being misled?

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
There shouldn't be a consolation prize for not being able to put the mighty "Only on PlayStation" workmark.

Last I checked, PC isn't console... Not sure how that branding is dishonest. SFV isn't Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I don't understand this post. I don't even have an XB1 but in a way ROTR was more of an exclusive than SFV will ever be, being only on 360 and XB1 in 2015, and that's all they were advertised as close to launch. Square Enix announced the PS4 and PC versions before the game came out.

Rise of the Tomb Raider was (and still briefly is) a pure exclusive and Microsoft could say "Only on Xbox in 2015" without misleading, just like how Resident Evil 4 GC kept its "Only For" banner. Same principle even if that wasn't announced beforehand. In contrast, this is the "not on Xbox" sticker.

And the best part is that Rise of the Tomb Raider doesn't use a banner on the box art despite it initially being true. So no, this is rightly being mocked, and I'm someone who has to wait a year for ROTR...

PS4 Console
Exclusive Game

I don't think it's that bad but....better to save the special markings for actual exclusives, you have two huge ones in April, Sony: UC4 and the R&C remake

1) Is SFV console exclusive to the PS4? - Yes.

2) Is SFV exclusive to the PS4 console? - No.

The phrasing on the label fits #2 better than #1, and is therefore misleading.

This.
It's all about the phrasing. I won't say it's misleading, it's just that Sony know what they're doing. They're smart.

I don't know whether that's good or bad.

In the case of SFV, Sony and Capcom continue to say it wouldn't have happened otherwise so that'd be fair game. PC gets it still which is great.

Titanfall was BS and they continued coming up with BS reasons as to why it was console exclusive, even when it wasn't taking last gen into account.

I definitely hate the branding and the messaging and the dumb shit Sony and MS are buying to be able to slap some "better on" or "exclusive content" or even more ridiculous "exclusive early beta access" banners onto games/ads.

Good for developers and publishers I guess though.

Raonak

Banned
One of the more direct and simple to understand exclusivity tags get labelled misleading.
Never change, gaf.

barit

Counterquestion: Why does Steam shows only PC version of SFV on their Steam shop page? No mention of PS4 version, those lying bastards!

MUnited83

For you.
One of the more direct and simple to understand exclusivity tags get labelled misleading.
Never change, gaf.

PS4 CONSOLE
exclusive game

This seems to imply the exact same thing "Only on Playstation". If it was actually "direct and simple" it would say "console exclusive" instead. I mean, whogivesashit.gif, but let's not pretend Sony knew exactly what they were doing with the placement of those words. They even have it in a different size/font lol

Counterquestion: Why does Steam shows only PC version of SFV on their Steam shop page? No mention of PS4 version, those lying bastards!

It's not only on Steam though..

But ultimately, I think there's no reason for PC gamers to get annoyed by this labelling. It's not like PC games are known for its heavy marketing anyway. There's no marketing for PC games. The market is already there on Steam, if they haven't known that the game is coming to PC, they'll know it eventually when it's on the front page of the Steam store.

Top Bottom