• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V introducing "PS4 Console Exclusive Game" branding

Just how angry are you about the SFV PS4 Console Exclusive branding?

Results are only viewable after voting.
The distinction makes me want to throw up but whatever sells a few more copies I guess.

Oh please. This thread and post are just small reminders of how while I love these boards, the propensity to indulge in hyperbole for the stupidest reasons is still there. It's a label on a videogame box, people. A label that is in no way disingenuous, nor does it effect your enjoyment of the game. Holy shit, this thread is embarrassing.

You're all lucky it doesn't say "IT'S ON PC TOO BUT DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE BUY IT ON THERE"

Sony paid for this game to be developed.

It's also not at all misleading. In terms of it's console release, it's exclusive to Sony.

"EXCLUSIVE TO PS4 AND PC BUT NOT WII U AND XBOX ONE AND 3DS AND VITA AND JUST SO THERES NO CONFUSION IT'S NOT ON 360 PS3 ORIGINAL XBOX PS2 WII GAMECUBE N64 PSX PSP DS GAMEBOY ADVANCE JAGUAR DREAMCAST NES SEGA MASTER SYSTEM 32X SATURN OR COLECO"

Is that what you want?

This needs to be done like the arkham city special edition.

GHG

Gold Member
Look guys it says only DVD compatible:

81bXpilbueL._SL1500_.jpg

Arrogant PC strikes again with its dishonesty.

Just think of all the poor casual gamers who will see this and assume their PC can't run it because they don't have a DVD drive.

Unnecessary and not very elegant. Console exclusive term should be reserved for PR statements if they are asked about it by the press, it should not be on press conferences or game boxes.

It really doesn't matter tho.

Having the game as a console exclusive for the PS4 and not a making a big fuss out of it would be a stronger statement

oh my lol what is happening here.

If they didn't put it on the box then the xbox crowd would go looking at their section for it, on seeing it isn't there they'd cry 'This is childish!' and kick over the UC4 standee on their way out.

Oh please. This thread and post are just small reminders of how while I love these boards, the propensity to indulge in hyperbole for the stupidest reasons is still there. It's a label on a videogame box, people. A label that is in no way disingenuous, nor does it effect your enjoyment of the game. Holy shit, this thread is embarrassing.

I've never seen the like. It's going to be a goldmine for zing! quotes, I think, when we see similar marketing from MS or that 'PC' thing people keep blathering about and compare the Outrage Level from folks.

Hyun Sai

Just think of all the poor casual gamers who will see this and assume their PC can't run it because they don't have a DVD drive.
I don't even have a DVD/Bluray drive on my PC. I swear this is all a conspiracy to make me buy the PS4 version... Arrogant Sony strikes again...

I hope sony continues this streak of "Technically" correct labeling just to boil piss especially on third party games:

"PS4 Console Exclusive Disc"

Now what you gonna do? They're right aren't they? If it's technically correct, it'll stand in court.

kpTtT.gif

Really misleading. A 'PS4' and a 'PS4 console' are the same thing, so there will be people who will interpret this as 'PS4 exclusive game'.

Smart move by Sony. Though it seems a bit like a false advertising lawsuit waiting to happen (in EU at least).

edit:

1) Is SFV console exclusive to the PS4? - Yes.

2) Is SFV exclusive to the PS4 console? - No.

The phrasing on the label fits #2 better than #1, and is therefore misleading.

Hahahahahah, you people are funny.

mocoworm

I own both consoles so this is not even an issue for me, but in general I can understand the anger over console exclusives ... especially when it's a 3rd party franchise like this.

I would urge anyone who loves console gaming to buy both XONE and PS4. You can't ever be disappointed by things like this then, plus you get to play ALL the games.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Factually correct, but superfluous. There is not even some sort of SF compilation at retail on Xbox One that would warrant this distinction. I can actually understand it when there is a chance of grandma buying little Timmy an older game for hardware he does not own, but that is not the case here.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
well, if the only console it's available on is PS4 then i don't see anything wrong with it cause then it's the truth.

i think some people are just looking for stuff to be pissed off at.

MUnited83

For you.
Does the PS4 version run on PC?

So , every game ever can use that label then o_O. Even if there was a Xbox version they could still put this label in because you can't use the disc on the xbox? Lol, you have some amazing logic right there.

Look guys it says only DVD compatible:

81bXpilbueL._SL1500_.jpg

Arrogant PC strikes again with its dishonesty.

Again, with that logic you could say the exact same about any multiplatform game ever. They could all use this branding despite being on Xbox too if we follow that weird logic.

You're all lucky it doesn't say "IT'S ON PC TOO BUT DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE BUY IT ON THERE"

Sony paid for this game to be developed.

It's also not at all misleading. In terms of it's console release, it's exclusive to Sony.

"EXCLUSIVE TO PS4 AND PC BUT NOT WII U AND XBOX ONE AND 3DS AND VITA AND JUST SO THERES NO CONFUSION IT'S NOT ON 360 PS3 ORIGINAL XBOX PS2 WII GAMECUBE N64 PSX PSP DS GAMEBOY ADVANCE JAGUAR DREAMCAST NES SEGA MASTER SYSTEM 32X SATURN OR COLECO"

Is that what you want?
Nobody gives a shit that they don't mention the PC version, but to think the wording and it's placement wasn't very carefully planned is some extremely naive shit. They should just keep the "Only on Playstation" label instead because it's essentially the same shit.

It seems like some PC gamers are upset that Sony didn't explicitly advertise the PC version on the PS4 box.

Is that a fair assessment of what's happening here?
Nobody here gives a single shit about that so no. If the box said "Only on Playstation" this thread wouldn't even exist. People are calling out the crappy marketing.

GHG

Gold Member
So , every game ever can use that label then o_O. Even if there was a Xbox version they could still put this label in because you can't use the disc on the xbox? Lol, you have some amazing logic right there.

Again, with that logic you could say the exact same about any multiplatform game ever. They could all use this branding despite being on Xbox too if we follow that weird logic.

Nobody gives a shit that they don't mention the PC version, but to think the wording and it's placement wasn't very carefully planned is some extremely naive shit. They should just keep the "Only on Playstation" label instead because it's essentially the same shit.

What are you even talking about?

Please, shower us with your logic. We are not worthy.

You are taking this way too seriously. But please, keep going.

Matt

I own both consoles so this is not even an issue for me, but in general I can understand the anger over console exclusives ... especially when it's a 3rd party franchise like this
The game wouldn't exist without Sony, so any anger at its exclusivity is...pretty dumb.

linkent

Lol, yeah, not having the same opinion you do is and calling out crappy analogies is "taking this way too seriously".
So what do you suggest Sony put without causing any "misunderstanding"?

"Console Exclusive"?(your comment previous page)
Which can be defined as Console only and not on PC?

Seriously this topic is not worth discussing.
PC people will check on Steam and not retail store.
The wording on the cover meant The only console you can play SFV is PS4.

MUnited83

For you.
So what do you suggest Sony put without causing any "misunderstanding"?

"Console Exclusive"?(your comment previous page)
Which can be defined as Console only and not on PC?

Seriously this topic is not worth discussing.
PC people will check on Steam and not retail store.
The wording on the cover meant The only console you can play SFV is PS4.

I already said. Just continue the "Only on Playstation" label. The way this new one is worded makes it so it means exactly the same thing "Only on Playstation" did.

don't see why they worry about it and just use "only on" for ps4.

maybe just create a logo that says "not on ios herherher" would be most beneficial

I already said. Just continue the "Only on Playstation" label. The way this new one is worded makes it so it means exactly the same thing "Only on Playstation" did.

Are you kidding me? "Only on Playstation" would be truly "dishonest" as it's fucking false. It's on PC as well, but is on PS4 also.

The end result:

"PS4 Console Exclusive Game"

Not full disclosure, never the less it's correct. Can anybody understand English here? I feel like Chris Tucker in a rush hour movie.

MUnited83

For you.
Are you kidding me? "Only on Playstation" would be truly "dishonest" as it's fucking false. It's on PC as well, but is on PS4 also.

The end result:

"PS4 Console Exclusive Game"

Not full disclosure, never the less it's correct. Can anybody understand English here? I feel like Chris Tucker in a rush hour movie.
PS4 Console
Exclusive Game

Different lines, different font.

So what's the problem for you if both labels mean the same thing?

Good grief.
I don't give a shit about the label, just don't pretend the placement of it isn't very much intentional.

PS4 Console
Exclusive Game

Are you Jackie Chan?

It's read the same regardless, as its one label they're meant to be read together. Did you get mad at the thread title for having those different lines in the same sentence?

Jackie pls.

PS4 Console
Exclusive Game

I don't give a shit about the label, just don't pretend the placement of it isn't very much intentional.

You care about the label because you're saying they should use the regular one they do for exclusives.

Fair play to you though, I don't want to get bogged down in this convo, it's pretty pointless.
I'll just move on.

MUnited83

For you.
Are you Jackie Chan?

It's read the same regardless, as its one label they're meant to be read together. Did you get mad at the thread title for having those different lines in the same sentence?

Jackie pls.
If they were "meant to be read together" they would be consistent in their font. They aren't. Also lol @ "are u mad". Do you guys really imagine everyone that disagrees without as a rage-filled maniac frothing at his mouth ? You guys are a classy bunch, that's for sure. The narrative done time and time again in this thread "oh people are voicing their opinions THEY MUST BE FILLED WITH ABSOLUTE RAGE HURR DURR" is hilarious.
You care about the label because you're saying they should use the regular one they do for exclusives.

Fair play to you though, I don't want to get bogged down in this convo, it's pretty pointless.
I'll just move on.
Yes, saying they should just keep the old one because the new one is pointless and intentionally goes out of it's way on the placement of their wording is "caring".

If they were "meant to be read together" they would be consistent in their font. They aren't.

Let's not take into account the design around them or their proximity to one another.

Do you guys really imagine everyone that disagrees without as a rage-filled maniac frothing at his mouth ?

That could apply to you as well. I'm disagreeing but backing it up with the basis of my argument and I'm not frothing.

I'm done. That's enough circles for one day.

MUnited83

For you.
Let's not take into account the design around them or their proximity to one another.

The design is pretty blatant, which is my point.

That could apply to you as well. I'm disagreeing but backing it up with the basis of my argument and I'm not frothing.

I'm done. That's enough circles for one day.

How so? Did I say somewhere on my post "you must be mad!"? Because if I didn't I can't really see where. Good try though, top notch argumentation skills right there. I will be sure to edit all my posts to ask people "r u mad?" since that seems to pass as actual argumentation these days.

How so? Did I say somewhere on my post "you must be mad!"? Because if I didn't I can't really see where. Good try though, top notch argumentation skills right there.

That face when you asked a question but someone takes it as a statement:

"Did you get mad" = You are mad.

Top notch reading comprehension.

The boiled piss is palpable.

MUnited83

For you.
That face when you asked a question but someone takes it as a statement:

"Did you get mad" = You are mad.

Top notch reading comprehension.

Yes, nobody ever asked a question while at the same time implying that the question asked is actually a statement you meant to make. Literally never happened I say!
It was also a general statement at all the people complaining about people being "pissed" and "outraged" and so on.
Oh, and once again
The boiled piss is palpable.
Top notch argumentation skills once again, proving my point once again. But sure, keep with the 12 year old kid level attitude, it sure is interesting to watch. Can't form a reasonable argument so the only thing you can do is saying the same shit over and over. Would be nice if you did actual anwsers instead of "huh huh boiled piss" "huh huh you mad". It seems you can't have a discussion with anyone that disagrees with you without you taking the piss. That'll take you far.

Fredrik

If they were "meant to be read together" they would be consistent in their font. They aren't.

Yes, saying they should just keep the old one because the new one is pointless and intentionally goes out of it's way on the placement of their wording is "caring".
But does it really matter? I mean PS4 exclusive or Console exclusive, who will be hurt by this "confusion"? PC gamers won't miss that SFV is on PC too and buy it by mistake on PS4 instead, there will be ads as usual, and once the game is out I wouldn't be surprised if we hear talk about which version is best etc, any confusion that the game is out on PC too will be fast gone.

N30RYU

Gold Member
I'll like to see how sony will translate this in other languages to fit.

PS4 CONSOLE
EXCLUSIVE GAME

Also the change of font and bold is more to make it fit well.

JUEGO EXCLUSIVO
CONSOLA PS4

JUEGO EXCLUSIVO
DE PS4 EN CONSOLAS

JUEGO DE PS4
EXCLUSIVO PARA CONSOLAS

That will literally translate as a Game for PS4 exclusive to/for/in consoles.

And that to/for/in in other languages will make a difference including or excluding the PC

MUnited83

For you.
But does it really matter? I mean PS4 exclusive or Console exclusive, who will be hurt by this "confusion"? PC gamers won't miss that SFV is on PC too and buy it by mistake on PS4 instead, there will be ads as usual, and once the game is out I wouldn't be surprised if we hear talk about which version is best etc, any confusion that the game is out on PC too will be fast gone.

It doesn't matter, and it will ultimately hurt absolutely no one. My only point is that Sony is being intentionally misleading with their word placement, even if doesn't matter a bit in the end. Some people here cannot phantom that being a valid opinion somehow and then they paint everyone who holds that opinion to be a rage-filled maniac, which is quite interesting to say the least.

That's extremeley dishonest IMO

How is it dishonest? You can't play the game on any other console... so it's a PS4 console exclusive... Or it's exclusive on PS4 for consoles. Not sure how else it could be worded.

Don't really mind the wording. Look different than the standard PS4 bland logo on the game case.

It doesn't matter, and it will ultimately hurt absolutely no one. My only point is that Sony is being intentionally misleading with their word placement, even if doesn't matter a bit in the end. Some people here cannot phantom that being a valid opinion somehow and then they paint everyone who holds that opinion to be a rage-filled maniac, which is quite interesting to say the least.

No they're not. You're being obtuse. No one has misunderstood what the term console exclusive means on these boards, and yet suddenly when it's on the front of a box, it's misleading? Please.

Nozem

But it's a Playstation 4 console exclusive.

Exactly. And that's not the same thing. Thus the ambiguity.

No they're not. You're being obtuse. No one has misunderstood what the term console exclusive means on these boards, and yet suddenly when it's on the front of a box, it's misleading? Please.

We're on a gaming forum, we're familiar with the terminology. It's not hard to imagine Joe Average looking at this and thinking "Gee, this game is exclusive to the PS4 console!". Which it isn't.

MUnited83

For you.
Because that's not how the words are placed. I already covered this several times. Do you think Sony chose this design randomly or something?

hohoXD123

I'm genuinely concerned for the people who keep getting outraged over shit like this. Their blood pressure must be through the roof.

PS4 Console
Exclusive Game

It's intentional from a design standpoint. Go ahead and fit the entire thing on a single line and try telling me that it doesn't look significantly worse.

Top Bottom