• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice summary, Zissou. Before the input lag controversy came up I honestly thought my reactions were starting to go on me since I couldn't block things that seemed easy to react to. I don't really have a problem with it, though. It's just a part of the game that makes offense inherently stronger. And I mean hey, I play a grappler so I'd be hypocritical to all hell if I complained because I can't block spin knuckle on reaction.

Edgeward

Anyone not getting steam cards? I have over 113 hours and only have like 5 cards.

Fortunately I ride week one until the end of every game's life cycle, lol. But nah, it's actually a really good anti-anti air, especially if the opponent is using heavy buttons like you were. High risk, high reward. You either look like a jackass, or you get in. And when Alex gets in it's usually over.

Definitely added to the guessing game with Alex, and yeah it was pretty much done once you can hit the superman.

Xeteh

Anyone not getting steam cards? I have over 113 hours and only have like 5 cards.

I play on PS4 so idk how many cards you get total but if you check your badges under your profile it'll tell you how many card drops you have remaining for SFV. You might have gotten all of them already.

SmokeMaxX

If you want to bait a punish a throw/throw tech, why not push yourself out of range with a blocked normal? I assume you're talking from perspective of the attacker and you're looking to punish the throw tech attempt, no?
Yeah, but that's not really the point lol. I didn't say it was unpunishable or an unbeatable tactic. I just don't think it should be an option. If you guess wrong defensively and whiff something as long as a throw, I don't think you should be rewarded with a free anti-air and free mixup. It'd be different if I was Dhalsim and was in the air for an hour or if you could just cr. fierce me out of the air, but stand jab anti-air is fast and generally has an amazing hitbox.
According to displaylag, PS4 SFV has 2 frames more input lag than SF4 on 360 and 1 frame more than PS3 and Arcade SF4. If you use a legacy controller, it's the same as PS3/Arcade SF4 in terms of input lag.
http://www.displaylag.com/video-game-input-lag-database/
Input lag debate is way overblown imo.

I'm curious to see how good Balrog is in this game. One of my main reasons for picking characters is strong Anti-Airs and hopefully Balrog won't struggle in that regard.

Plz Capcom, announce something.

Edgeward

Rog is gonna get Bison like AA options. Headbutt will trade like Flashkick except EX. And Ibuki gets a st lk AA like Chun. And then I delete the game

mbpm1

Rog is gonna get Bison like AA options. Headbutt will trade like Flashkick except EX. And Ibuki gets a st lk AA like Chun. And then I delete the game

Cr. hp will be look exactly the same and we will be excited that he hasn't changed but then we find out it has 20 frame startup

Sayad

Nice, one thing you should have mentioned is that the 8 frame delay is taken into account when it comes to moves frame data:

SFIV Ryu overhead is 17 frames - 5 frames of input delay = 12 frames to react
SFV Ryu overhead adjusted to 20 frames now - 8 frames of input lag = 12 frames to react

In both cases you will only block it with a read. So when you can't block Ryu's overhead or react to Birdy's grab, it's by design, not because of the input lag. Saying the input delay is what make the game favor offense is straight up wrong since frame data during offence mixups is adjusted to the delay.

It does affect how you play the neutral though(none mixups normals aren't adjusted to the delay), how to react to jump ins and make things that are based on visual input like walking forward and blocking a fireball in the last frame before contact way harder. For offense, the game just favor offense by design and input delay isn't the reason for that.

Zissou

Yeah, but that's not really the point lol. I didn't say it was unpunishable or an unbeatable tactic. I just don't think it should be an option. If you guess wrong defensively and whiff something as long as a throw, I don't think you should be rewarded with a free anti-air and free mixup. It'd be different if I was Dhalsim and was in the air for an hour or if you could just cr. fierce me out of the air, but stand jab anti-air is fast and generally has an amazing hitbox.

According to displaylag, PS4 SFV has 2 frames more input lag than SF4 on 360 and 1 frame more than PS3 and Arcade SF4. If you use a legacy controller, it's the same as PS3/Arcade SF4 in terms of input lag.
http://www.displaylag.com/video-game-input-lag-database/
Input lag debate is way overblown imo.

You have options if someone is mashing throw though- you can frame trap for example. Jumping is not the answer unless it's a command grab with a long whiff animation.

As for the input lag- I was under the impression that SF4 had 4-5 frames, while SFV has around 8. Is that inaccurate?

Nice, one thing you should have mentioned is that the 8 frame delay is taken into account when it comes to moves frame data:

SFIV Ryu overhead is 17 frames - 5 frames of input delay = 12 frames to react
SFV Ryu overhead adjusted to 20 frames now - 8 frames of input lag = 12 frames to react

In both cases you will only block it with a read. So when you can't block Ryu's overhead or react to Birdy's grab, it's by design, not because of the input lag. Saying the input delay is what make the game favor offense is straight up wrong since frame data during offence mixups is adjusted to the delay.

It does affect how you play the neutral though(none mixups normals aren't adjusted to the delay), how to react to jump ins and make things that are based on visual input like walking forward and blocking a fireball in the last frame before contact way harder. For offense, the game just favor offense by design and input delay isn't the reason for that.

Yeah- I do think the game favors offense by design, but the input lag certainly exacerbates that. I'm sure you're right that they are aware of and balanced the game around the input lag.

In the long run, i'm hoping this game gets

Sagat
Akuma
Blanka
Honda (it's time we got the Cross Counter TV fight we all have been waiting for, Mike Ross (Honda) VS Gootecks (Urien))
Remy
Q
Oro
Sean
Dudley
Necro
Sakura
Eagle
Gill (but playable online)
C Viper

not sure if I want Twelve in this game.

Rashids butler, is it Azam?
Alex's trainer Tom
and 1 or 2 new Illuminati characters

leroidys

Sagat
Akuma
Blanka
Honda
Remy
Q
Oro
Sean
Dudley
Necro
Sakura
Eagle
C Viper

Alex's trainer Tom

I'm interested in the idea of them taking the concept of twelve and remaking him into a viable character.

I'd also like a version of Necro pre-mutation/transformation.

SmokeMaxX

You have options if someone is mashing throw though- you can frame trap for example. Jumping is not the answer unless it's a command grab with a long whiff animation.

As for the input lag- I was under the impression that SF4 had 4-5 frames, while SFV has around 8. Is that inaccurate?

Yeah- I do think the game favors offense by design, but the input lag certainly exacerbates that. I'm sure you're right that they are aware of and balanced the game around the input lag.

Not sure what the answer to the input lag question is. Everyone trusts displaylag and that's numbers right from their website. As for what to do against throw tech- yeah I agree that there are options against it, but I'm just opposed to the mechanic of AA jabs (although they're fine for chars like Gief, Sim, and Alex). The fact that they work in that particular situation is just an example. In any case, that's part of the game and I'll have to adjust. I just don't like them.

On to another subject, as someone who struggles against command grab characters, I'm in Ranked hell right now trying to grind up to Platinum.
These are literally my last 14 matches-
Platinum Alex x5, Ultra Gold Laura x2, Super Gold Mika x3, Gold Laura x2, Silver Mika x2 (probably the scariest out of all of them).

Sagat
Akuma
Blanka
Honda (it's time we got the Cross Counter TV fight we all have been waiting for, Mike Ross (Honda) VS Gootecks (Urien))
Remy
Q
Oro
Sean
Dudley
Necro
Sakura
Eagle
C Viper

Alex's trainer Tom
No Cody

No Ingrid

No Makoto

No sale

Zerojul

Sagat
Akuma
Blanka
Remy
Q
Oro
Sean
Dudley
Necro
Sakura
Eagle
C Viper

Alex's trainer Tom

I find this lack of Sodom... disturbing.

I find this lack of Sodom... disturbing.

lol, poor guy is the only Alpha character missing from IV or V.

CPHO5RpVAAAN9vS.png:large

Palom

I'm not exactly sure what happened here:

I threw an EX fireball expecting the charge. The armor absorbed the first hit, and the second hit of the fireball just passed through him. How does that work?

I threw an EX fireball expecting the charge. The armor absorbed the first hit, and the second hit of the fireball just passed through him. How does that work?
My guess is that the he keeps on moving when he does the charge so when the fireball hit him, he absorbed the first hit and kept moving forwards, out of the fireball's hitbox.

Either that or it's a bug.

SmokeMaxX

Weird situation. Maybe both hits of ex fireball don't start up at the same time?

Asd202

Sagat
Akuma
Blanka
Remy
Q
Oro
Sean
Dudley
Necro
Sakura
Eagle
C Viper

Alex's trainer Tom

I hope for Guy, Makoto, Sakura and Akuma.

I didn't think 8f input delay was a big deal but noticed dropping Genocide Cutter a lot with Nash as well as connecting jab after moonsault especially in online matches. I had to mash the button to get the move to combo. This was a combo was able to do consistently during the beta.

Then you have commands throws which becomes impossible to react. Necalli's 8f C.Throw was able to by pass Crouching Forward despite the active frame of the move is out. Then their's Vega's Izuna drop where a Vega whiff a Roundhouse close up and I would either react with a regular throw or light normal but would still get hit with his C.Throw.

It feels like the game plays worst than the beta.

Assuming this game gets both Sean and Oro and Necro and Twelve. Who gets Longshoreman and Snowland? I'm thinking Sean gets Longshoreman and Necro gets Snowland.

Durden77

Sagat
Akuma
Blanka
Remy
Q
Oro
Sean
Dudley
Necro
Sakura
Eagle
C Viper

Alex's trainer Tom

All these sound great except Remy.

Like seriously, who the fuck wants Remy?

qcf x2

I'm so done even giving ranked a chance, seriously. Unless Capcom actually does something--which I'm sure they won't because technically/supposedly they did do SOMETHING.

Like, when you don't punish the person who rage quits, you are punishing me because I just wasted my time. The only reason I fired up ranked anyway was because I feel the game is getting a little stale for me (as much as I struggled to come to grips with that), but nah, might never do that again.

Dude, Eagle's moveset sucks. And Sean is boring, too. If you're gonna make DLC characters, they should be exiting and diversify the cast.

Q was my co-main in 3s, but since they might give Balrog a command grab(he has one in omega mode) I dunno if he deserves a slot.

If I had to build a season 2 list and I were Capcom, I'd probably consider cast diversity, popularity and brand-building. Probably something like this:

Akuma
C.Viper
Dudley
Decapre
New character
New character

Pompadour

Akuma
Dudley
Oro
Sakura
Sodom
New Character

That's if Season 2 is just six but I can see them doing eight characters. Akuma and Sakura are in because of popularity, Oro and Sodom are characters from their respective series not in 4 (and play fairly uniquely). Dudley is in as a mix of popularity and unique style.

I'd love Eagle in the game, especially if they mix up his gameplay a little, but I'm not holding my breath. Q also seems like a good choice but we will have to see how Balrog plays in V first.

Akuma
Dudley
Oro
Sakura
Sodom
New Character

That's if Season 2 is just six but I can see them doing eight characters. Akuma and Sakura are in because of popularity, Oro and Sodom are characters from their respective series not in 4 (and play fairly uniquely). Dudley is in as a mix of popularity and unique style.

I'd love Eagle in the game, especially if they mix up his gameplay a little, but I'm not holding my breath. Q also seems like a good choice but we will have to see how Balrog plays in V first.
Ain't no one going to pay for Sodom. They need returning characters that people will pay for.

Neoxon

My guesses for the Wave 2 characters are...
  • Crimson Viper
  • Sean Matsuda
  • Oro
  • Abel
  • Sakura
  • Akuma/Gouki
With the exception of Akuma, every single character in this list has been included in the stories of existing characters. And in the case of Oro, Capcom even went as far as to get his Japanese Third Strike voice actor back, which makes it pretty clear that Capcom does plan on making Oro playable at some point in the future. Of this list, I'm more confident about Crimson Viper, Sean Matsuda, & Oro (more so Oro for the reason mentioned). And concerning Akuma, if Capcom is willing to wait a bit longer to include him, they could swap him out for a newcomer. Either that or swap Abel out for a newcomer (as Scotia suggested), but that would kinda conflict with the idea of story cameo characters being promoted to playable characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom