• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcf x2

Serious question to you Mika players. When you guys see stuff like this do you feel that it is fair/balanced to be able to do this when in the corner/off a reset? I know it is pretty situational but I am just interested in your honest opinions.

Not trying to start an argument or shitting on your character because she is fun to play around with personally.

Well six confirmed he crouch is irrelevant so I guess it doesn't matter either way. Just don't get hit I guess.

Yes and no. Laura can do it too. The characters that can't mostly do way more damage off confirms than Mika can.

I'd love to see a player as good as him pick up Alex. In my short time with him, he seems quite good and I was surprised to see people rate him so low. Doesn't surprise me that Snake Eyez would take to him.

Alex doesn't feel weak to me. Good health, good command grab, great mobility, high stun, versatile V-trigger, an always useful v-skill and a move with amor, ability to hit full super as an anti air (or juggle with it), etc.

FluxWaveZ

Ugh, my fingers hurt trying to do that Mika crap.
Learned my ass, this is the tightest reset I've had to learn so far.

Sixforyfive, let me know if you manage to pull off the side-switch version of that reset successfully and consistently, 'cause I could also use some help with it. I think my execution with it is 20% now.

Edit: Alright, 50% now. Improving.

Shouta

No that's native impact

Yep. Native/Rainbow Impact is a Mika player and ignoring the usual everyone hates mirror matches aspect of it, he definitely likes Alex against her. He switched to Alex to fight Du's Mika when they were playing online yesterday as I recall.

FluxWaveZ

I actually usually really love mirror matches. Another part of why I'm looking forward to Balrog is because I'll be able to enjoy them once again; it's a shame that they're just so freaking insane for Mika. It's not like I'm not one for volatility, either, since Zerg vs. Zerg is my favorite MU in SCII.

kirblar

That's certainly an interesting chart, but...

I still think Cammy is lower than people think she is. I also think Laura is higher.
I think Cammy is very overrated as well. Nash underrated.

Laura has issues with damage output relative to the rest of the cast- she needs some tweaking in 2017.

The theory behind the character is that she's designed to be polarized: she has to put in a relatively higher effort to get a clean hit compared to most of the cast who have better range or frame data on their normal attacks, but the payoff from that hit is also greater. Despite being more mix-up based than strictly throw-based, she follows the "grappler gameplan" of just spending her life bar to close the distance so that she can get in range for the payoff. I wrote a pretty long post on this earlier.

That's the theory, anyway. Whether the risk/reward is properly balanced is anybody's opinion, and we'll have a better idea of that as the months go on. A lot of people would do themselves a favor by taking a more thorough look at the bigger picture and realize how easy it is to keep Mika from getting anything started in a lot of cases. Just standing in whiff-punish range or not letting her get away with negative-on-block moves goes a long way.

You also have to think about the resources spent. That combo used a full V-Trigger and CA bar.

Nobody likes that mirror match. It is a nightmare.

Good write up. I agree that this does use all the resources available which is why I said it is pretty situational. The fact that you mentioned the bigger picture is true in most cases but the linked video we are discussing shows her in the corner being the one pressured and not the usual of her cornering somebody. She could just take a beating getting cornered but still has the same dangerous capabilities she would have if she was the one pressuring in the corner. Even though she was at a disadvantage by being cornered she completely turned the match around off a counter cr.lp. That is a HUGE swing. I guess we will see how things are in a couple months. Like I said I like the character so I am in no way attacking anyone who uses her.

it doesn't seem that crazy. i mean, look at the damage karin does with this reset

https://www.twitch.tv/crash_en/v/59680366?t=01h44m20s

take in to account that ryu has 100 more health, karin starts down some life at the start of the mika clip, and the fact that the CA probably does more damage than what ryu has left...i'd wager it's fairly comparable.

Well this is off of a CC so I expect the damage to be pretty big. Seems Ryu was at around 600 health or so anyways and I wonder how the combo scaling affected that CA finisher. Either way there was big damage done off a reset which most characters seem to possess in this game.

I was more concerned with Mike being able to get damage like that off of a counter cr.lp, which is a 3 frame move I believe, while being cornered. Doing 950 damage with full resources is pretty insane off of a counter cr.lp IMO. Maybe other characters can do something similar so I am not calling her OPOP borked tier just interested in people's views in the grand scheme of the game's overall play.

Yes and no. Laura can do it too. The characters that can't mostly do way more damage off confirms than Mika can.

Alex doesn't feel weak to me. Good health, good command grab, great mobility, high stun, versatile V-trigger, an always useful v-skill and a move with amor, ability to hit full super as an anti air (or juggle with it), etc.

True. Laura can do it but like you said it characters that can't do more damage off confirms than Mika. Do you feel this is a good way at approaching balance? Would you as a player prefer characters that have more damaging hit confirms but take more of them or a character that does less damage off easy confirms but can do one reset for 900+ damage? Obviously situational as I have stated because Mika is sitting on full resources.

qcf x2

Laura has issues with damage output relative to the rest of the cast- she needs some tweaking in 2017.

Not really, unless they up her command throw damage and normal attack damage by like ...5 points. Any more than that is too much. I don't know why players aren't using her right now in tournaments but she's got enough to win with.

True. Laura can do it but like you said it characters that can't do more damage off confirms than Mika. Do you feel this is a good way at approaching balance? Would you as a player prefer characters that have more damaging hit confirms but take more of them or a character that does less damage off easy confirms but can do one reset for 900+ damage? Obviously situational as I have stated because Mika is sitting on full resources.

Personally I'm not a fan of powerhouses, I prefer being crafty and strategic, dare I say finesse. I play Mika but I've written several times that I would like to see the mid screen rope removed & make her mic able to chip KO... I don't like that the rope throw is so brainless. She's got plenty of tools and I'd like to see people play her better outside of the corner. As is, there's little incentive to risk that. IMO Nadeshiko is enough of a secret weapon that the rope doesn't need to be as good as it is.

People keep putting other characters on top of him in the tier list. :p

By the same token, I think Chun is slightly overrated right now. Godlike character, but so little margin for error.

Tier lists are based on high level play so even if there is little margin for error it is taking into consideration the fact that you are playing with nearly perfect execution and using your tools to your advantage in all situations. On paper Chun is easily 1 or 2 on the list I don't think this is an instance of Nash being higher on the tier list so much as it is Infiltration being better than everyone else at the game.

kirblar

Not really, unless they up her command throw damage and normal attack damage by like ...5 points. Any more than that is too much. I don't know why players aren't using her right now in tournaments but she's got enough to win with.
She doesn't get high damage off individual mixups and frame traps, and doesn't build stun fast enough outside of V-Trigger to compensate for the lower damage. You have to open up your opponent too many times.

Chun has similarly low damage off individual hits/combos, but Chun makes up for it with her great defense. And if you want a character capable of putting you in a bullshit blender after a knockdown, Mika is a better choice right now.
Tier lists are based on high level play so even if there is little margin for error it is taking into consideration the fact that you are playing with nearly perfect execution and using your tools to your advantage in all situations. I don't think this is an instance of Nash being higher on the tier list so much as it is Infiltration being better than everyone else at the game.
Kind of a simple question: What are his bad matchups? Ryu definitely has some.

Who's everyone's favorite top player? Besides, yourselves anyway, I know some of you are way up there.

I default to Yuhi Hikali as the top necalli player, tho I don't know who he is in the scene. He keeps popping in and out of top ten, I can't help rooting for him, and studying his replays for advice.
His fondness for the 2hp hk stomp combo is interesting.
Alucard was my old fave, and god did he make necalli look badass, but he's a birdie man now. Still, I wish I had the balls to try those ex grab mixups of his. My word(Sweat drops).
Anyways, who do you guys like?

Mediking

I think Cammy is very overrated as well. Nash underrated.

What the hell? Nobody has ever said Cammy is top tier. I'm a Cammy main... she's NOT top tier. She isn't garbage and she isn't as good as Nash or Ryu.

But guess what she is though? She's hecka fun and sexy as heck!

kirblar

What the hell? Nobody has ever said Cammy is top tier. I'm a Cammy main... she's NOT top tier. She isn't garbage and she isn't as good as Nash or Ryu.

But guess what she is though? She's hecka fun and sexy as heck!
No, she's definitely not top tier, but she's still being overrated- I don't think top players are going to have much success with her in her current form.

For casual play, the gradation doesn't matter that much.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So no Capcom Pro Talk tonight? #RIP?

I played a few matches in Casual with Ken. He has no business being that much fun.

So that makes
Rashid
Alex
And if I have time, Ken

If it were up to me, I'd be as good as inflitration and be good with
Rashid
Alex
Nash
Birdie
Ken
Ryu
And Nec.

But I am simply too ass at fighting games!

Who's everyone's favorite top player? Besides, yourselves anyway, I know some of you are way up there.

I default to Yuhi Hikali as the top necalli player, tho I don't know who he is in the scene. He keeps popping in and out of top ten, I can't help rooting for him, and studying his replays for advice.
Alucard was my old fave, and god did he make necalli look badass, but he's a birdie man now. Still, I wish I had the balls to try those ex grab mixups of his. My word(Sweat drops).
He was a really good Oni player in usf4. He's also a pad player.

Favorite player is daigoat followed by Nemo.

Baleoce

Bonchan. Looking forward to seeing how his Ryu develops.

Mediking

No, she's definitely not top tier, but she's still being overrated- I don't think top players are going to have much success with her in her current form.

For casual play, the gradation doesn't matter that much.

Of course Cammy isn't gonna go far in tournaments. Bad health and anybody who knows how to block can stop her instantly. I still love playing as her because she fits my play style. And beating somebody as Cammy feels AMAZING and so REWARDING.

Alucrid

Banned

m....marn? and native too

Genki

Ugh, ragequit on by two higher league players in a row. None with long win streaks. This is how it's going to be from now on without a real fix. People are going to (correctly)assume they can get away with a certain amount of cheating.

FluxWaveZ

Ugh, ragequit on by two higher league players in a row. None with long win streaks. This is how it's going to be from now on without a real fix. People are going to (correctly)assume they can get away with a certain amount of cheating.

The RQ solution hasn't been implemented yet; that's next week. I'd wait until then to make any real declarations about it.

Xeteh

Of course Cammy isn't gonna go far in tournaments. Bad health and anybody who knows how to block can stop her instantly. I still love playing as her because she fits my play style. And beating somebody as Cammy feels AMAZING and so REWARDING.

You really need to give up this dream that Cammy is super garbage. She's got all the tools to win.

HardRojo

Yep, that's why I'm not playing ranked matches for the time being. I also found out today that two local players here have been RQing from time to time too, it's been a funny day.

Genki

The RQ solution hasn't been implemented yet; that's next week. I'd wait until then to make any real declarations about it.

I realise that, but any such system has a real slim chance of being effective. Have enough experience from various other competitive games... Even ones were ladder was the be all end all, with entirely public stats and pretty doggedly policed did not work.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
*Impossible combo that uses all resources and a mixup to kill that will never ever happen live*

GAME IS BROKEN CAPCOPS PLS

Haitani's Necalli was really fun to watch during FR19. I like watching Yipes but he's not exactly elite.

But I'm most excited that God Nuki has returned after his hiatus from SF4. The guy's got the old-school style and his exclamations are hilarious (he's like the Japanese Yipes on commentary).

FluxWaveZ

I realise that, but any such system has a real slim chance of being effective. Have enough experience from various other competitive games... Even ones were ladder was the be all end all, with entirely public stats and pretty doggedly policed did not work.

I also have little faith in the solution they described, but we'll just have to wait and see what it actually does, if anything. I hope it fixes things and that they've properly adjusted d/c rates for players to get in a timeout period, and the length of timeout periods.

Astrael

CFN: Astrael - Super Bronze - West Coast US - Karin

Been lurking for the last few weeks but I'm always down to play and improve. I'm usually on in the evenings my time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom