• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OTVII| New Generation - Connection To Haters Was Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, some of the Rookie Ken players were off the chain in terms of aggression. Some killed themselves with blocked fierce DPs, but others really took advantage of the shimmy game. I am still at a loss on what to do in a knockdown situation where someone would either be mashing jab, trying to bait out a throw tech, or just flat out grab you.

As an aside, I think I have hit a wall with Cammy for right now. Switching to Ryu briefly and fighting a Bronze Cammy really made me realize that these whiffed Spiral Arrows/Cannon Spikes is contributing to way too many loses on my end when I use the character. And I am just not good at that kind of hit confirm yet. But man, I need some kind of projectile.

Here is an older video of a match that might help. It was when akuma just came out. I had no idea how to really play him well and while i could do his combos and stuff in training i would just completely forget them mid match as they weren't commited to reflex yet.

So my scrubby akuma vs a pretty typical super bronze ken. Super aggressive and just throws shit out there. I spent the first game trying to just pull of combos and stuff and got wrecked. Then in game 2 i carried on till he had almost won the set. Then i stopped and just used the basics and let him kill himself with his aggression and i go on to win the set. And thats when using a character I dont play.

https://youtu.be/iemYvc5PKf4

Basically slow it down. Worry less about pulling off cool shit and use the basics to study and counter what they are doing. That alone will get you at least to ultra bronze. keep practising set ups and combos in training and eventually they will just come out as you know them without thinking about it.

histopher

tumblr_opjhs9t9e71trjy6ho1_500.jpg

What is that from?

I wonder if he's like a homage to pr rog. Like I think Seth was named after Killian and I think the cop Peter from single player is named after combofiend. also heard Alex was named after Valle but I don't know how much or if any of this is true.

The Seth and Peter part is true (Hell, I think Combofiend voiced Peter right?) but that's also because they were both developers that worked on the games.

I don't know why they'd want to it to be a homage to PR Rog in particular, and not someone legendary like Daigo.

Hueytothe

JP team surprisingly upset about the leak. Told y'all he'd be redesigned. I think the JoJo influence is more than intentional.

As for people complaining about the default design - meh. I gave zero fucks for Juri's new design, but got Juri has gotten me to play her. Same for school outfit for Ryu - that thing is badass. What I'm trying to say here is: default outfit in this iteration of SF is largely meaningless, considering they are giving us costumes (unless u like FANG).
Any Birdie costumes in the pipeline?

lupinko

I wonder if he's like a homage to pr rog. Like I think Seth was named after Killian and I think the cop Peter from single player is named after combofiend. also heard Alex was named after Valle but I don't know how much or if any of this is true.

Seth was named after Seth Killian but his name still fit the Adam and Eve motif, since Seth was their child after Cain and Abel. Because we all know how much Bison Dictator loves playing god!

Yes, the cop was named after Combofiend but like Seth Killian who worked at Capcom during SFIV and Marvel 3, Peter Rosas currently works at Capcom and is involved with not only SFV but Marvel ocho as well.

I don't know where you get the Alex was named after Valle because Valle didn't get into major prominence until like Alpha 2 and didn't become global until his Alpha 3 matches with Daigo. Also at that time both Valle and Umehara were basically still teens to late teens. SF3 was in development along with the Alpha games. NG didn't come out until 1997 with Alpha 2 coming a year before.

Talking about the old SF2 US top players days, you had your Tomo Ohira, Jason Cole, Mike Watson and John Choi among others.

Hey, Luce, does FANG's st hp 7 frame buff mean he'll be able to combo cr lk on counter hit into it?

EDIT: Nope. It's gonna be comboable into cr.mp instead. This buff is REALLY gonna help his oki.

Talking about the st.hp though, in S2.5 FANG will be able to combo into it from a CH cr.mk.

Cr.mk will also combo into st.mk regularly.

And Coward's crouch kick will combo into cr.mp regularly.

See that edit. I thought cr.lk was 5 oH, when it's actually 4 oH

Though not as much damage, being able to combo into cr.mp from a CH is still great for oki.

st.lk on CH will combo into both st.mp and st.hp but st.lk isn't THAT great a button so it's not really worth celebrating over.

That was real solid play, a great demonstration of the character's strengths.

The character can be a real threat against characters like Karin and Chun who would prefer neutral situations and don't dish out so much damage in one go.

These servers are ass and it's a fucking shame we've had to deal with them for YEAR.

I was just playing MKXL. 120ms ping, flawless, 100ms in SFV, the game struggles to keep up.

I'm starting to believe that this game's focus is on spectators than people are playing. it's a damn shame, you have devs for the 4 past years revamping their game and improving them. Meanwhile Capcom gets a free pass and winning awards for having the name Street Fighter on the title and shoving Esports on us.

lupinko

I have great to amazing netplay with 4-5 bars. But that's when I play against Japanese, Koreans and some Chinese players. I can't complain.

Bonchan guaranteed top 3 at the Italy CPT ranking event:
https://twitter.com/katitagaribon/status/861293243820105728

These servers are ass and it's a fucking shame we've had to deal with them for YEAR.

I was just playing MKXL. 120ms ping, flawless, 100ms in SFV, the game struggles to keep up.

Yeah, how long did it take MKXL netcode to be fixed, again?
That's right...also A YEAR. Unless you're talking about PC version, which took a YEAR AND A HALF.

As it turns out, fixing online actually takes a while, even for NRS.

Thankfully, SF5 year 1 netcode is much better than MKX year 1 netcode.

I'm starting to believe that this game's focus is on spectators than people are playing.
That's the exact same thing that a lot of people have been saying, and there's very good reason for that.

Which makes little sense in the grand scheme of things but hey, maybe that's why I don't work at Capcpom.

Bonchan guaranteed top 3 at the Italy CPT ranking event:
https://twitter.com/katitagaribon/status/861293243820105728

Yeah, how long did it take MKXL netcode to be fixed, again?
That's right...also A YEAR. Unless you're talking about PC version, which took a YEAR AND A HALF.

As it turns out, fixing online actually takes a while, even for NRS.

Thankfully, SF5 year 1 netcode is much better than MKX year 1 netcode.

That should not excuse Capcom for failing twice (first was 3SOE) if MKX had the same problem.

Just because one person is bad at their job doesn't mean the other one could do the same.

Pompadour

That's the exact same thing that a lot of people have been saying, and there's very good reason for that.

Which makes little sense in the grand scheme of things but hey, maybe that's why I don't work at Capcpom.

Wait, I thought the consensus was the opposite. Didn't lots of people used to talk about how boring SFV is to watch while saying it's more fun to play? When did that flip?

Otherwise they wouldn't have added a 3f buffer so people could lose their shit like they did during E. Ryu combos.

That reminds of a thought I had in regards to changes between IV and V being direct responses to shit people complained about. People hated comeback Ultras in IV but they rarely impacted tournament play because throwing one out raw and missing usually meant you lost the match. The upside is that tossing that hail mary was legit hype because of how rare it was. Marn doing Dudley's U1 to catch Daigo's backdash was great, for example.

Comeback VTs are a bigger issue for tournament play because if you're a character with one suited for comebacks (Rog, Urien, Ibuki, etc.) then the losing player gets multiple comeback chances. And the examples I chose above allow you to make fairly safe comeback attempts, too. So while in lower levels of play it feels less bullshit in higher levels it's like you're kicking your opponent's ass until he becomes a better character.

MrCarter

I'm starting to believe that this game's focus is on spectators than people are playing. it's a damn shame, you have devs for the 4 past years revamping their game and improving them. Meanwhile Capcom gets a free pass and winning awards for having the name Street Fighter on the title and shoving Esports on us.

The salt lol. If it was a "spectators" game why would people still be playing the game consistently? If you look on Steam it's still the most played fighter and I assume it's the same on PS4. I don't think Capcom gets a "free pass" at all. Have you SEEN GAF? We constantly shit on it all the time. The awards it does win are mainly for E-sports (which to be fair they deserve as they have done it successfully) and these popularity awards don't mean much anyway.

lupinko

The salt lol. If it was a "spectators" game why would people still be playing the game consistently? If you look on Steam it's still the most played fighter and I assume it's the same on PS4. I don't think Capcom he's a "free pass" at all. Have you SEEN GAF? We constantly shit on it all the time. The awards it does win is mainly for E-sports (which to be fair they deserve as they have done it successfully) and these popularity awards don't mean much anyway.

Crossplay helps a lot, but yeah fighting games are only as good as their player bases really, and sadly.

Pompadour

Crossplay helps a lot, but yeah fighting games are only as good as their player bases really, and sadly.

I'd honestly make Xrd my main game if the playerbase was on par with SFV's. The netcode is certainly worse but you can definitely get perfectly playable matches. However, you'll probably be stuck playing the same handful of people over and over because the connection is playable. It was very deflating playing Rev for a week and recognizing every single name in the lobby.

And if you want to play Ranked don't bother. The matchmaking is garbage and everyone is in lobbies, anyway.

It's all very weird because the original BlazBlue on 360 probably had some of the best netcode and matchmaking I ever experienced in a fighting game. My only guess is that SF4 gave their playerbase a bump because people got reinvigorated by 4 and thought that they might like fighting games in general.

Were impressions from the first CFN beta positive? Did it seem like a real step in a right direction?

I'm sure it wasn't where it needed to be because of the delay/second beta but I feel like I've missed any discussion of it beyond "faster loading"

When the current netcode works it's awesome but the worst cases are indescribably bad

Pompadour

Were impressions from the first CFN beta positive? Did it seem like a real step in a right direction?

I'm sure it wasn't where it needed to be because of the delay/second beta but I feel like I've missed any discussion of it beyond "faster loading"

I didn't play it but the consensus seemed to be that it was a definite improvement but that it didn't feel dramatically different.

The game is a slog to watch, though. If they wanted spectators to enjoy it, they would make the experience more dynamic and cinematic from the viewer standpoint (Tekken 7 is a good example).

How did you measure the ping?

When the current netcode works it's awesome but the worst cases are indescribably bad

Its a step in the right direction. I dont know if everything felt better, but it felt more consistent. Like you said when the netcode works, its great. For me if the connection was good it was good, and when it was bad it was bad (and both players felt it)

To me a good netcode (or online I should say) is about consistency. KI has great netcode and works well 4/5 times, but boy that other 1/5 is awful. SFV is 50/50 (hehe.) If i have a laggy match in KI, I can brush it off and say "Its ok. The next one won't be like that." For SFV I can't really say that for next match I play. Its a coin toss.

MrCarter

I wonder what the player base on PC would be if it wasn't cross-play. Probably less because people would have less of a incentive to play a larger player base.

Pompadour

The game is a slog to watch, though. If they wanted spectators to enjoy it, they would make the experience more dynamic and cinematic from the viewer standpoint (Tekken 7 is a good example).

Yeah, what Tekken 7 does is great but I'm not sure how much can be adapted to a 2D fighting game.

The zoom in on big hits should be in the game already. I've thought that since SFV EX moves already look like supers from old games they should take the zooming in on hits from 3S. They've already made the screen shake from hits like 3S.

I think an issue fighting games have with making stuff in the middle of the fights cinematic is that it's mostly reserved for supers. The issue with that from a spectator's perspective is that most of the time a player is confirming into super from a combo so the drama is erased by the time the super starts. SFIV was particularly bad about this because 1) the Ultras were way too goddamn long and 2) hit scaling was atrocious so you'd watch so 7 second cinematic that did almost no damage.

Cinematic stuff should be utilized more in situations where a big shift in momentum has occurred. Crush Counters could have the flair of Tekken 7's zoom in if they happened 50% less often. And although SFV is pretty good about this, supers still could be shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom