• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would saying " United Arab Emirates" (as an example) be controversial? I can't imagine the fucktards who were "pissed" Rashid got announced on 9/11 number that many.
I imagine Capcom just wants to play it "safe" and not commit to any particular country due to the potential for push back from close minded dopes.

They didn't even actually post the media for Rashid on their website until the day after, so it seems like they're being very cautious. (Which is unnecessary, since anyone sound of mind would realize there's nothing controversial about this in the slightest.)

Ono must be very angry with Famitsu this morning by Elena leaks.

The last of the new Zen is supposed to be, if we do not get another surprise, and the last to complete hope and desire that is Alex.

Crocodile

Thinking about it, Zangief got unveiled at a Russian event right? Since we know Laura will be officially revealed at the Brasil Game Show. next week, that means that Capcom has still been every consistent at revealing characters at events at/near their country of origin. Wouldn't this increase the likelihood that if there is a reveal at NYCC, it would be of an American SF character (perhaps even from NYC as those hopeful for Alex are pulling for) rather than Dhalsim?

BTW, are there any upcoming game events in India? What with Dhalism seemingly more on the table and/or Zen being hypothesized to be an Indian character?

I'm assuming Shiite/Sunni tensions probably play into this.

A) Would Capcom be even aware this distinction exists?

B) Would anyone, even those living in a Middle Eastern country, care? I doubt Rashid's faith would be a prominent part of his character or story. Faith doesn't come into play for any other past SF character from what I can recall.

C) If push comes to shove, just choose a Sunni-dominated country of origin since they are the majority? Even then, I'm not aware of any country that has ALL Sunni or ALL Shiite, rather just one is a minority in a particular country. You can still hail from a country with a majority religion/denomination and not practice it.

They have nothing to lose by not disclosing the character's nationality.

I dunno, if they just said an African character was from "Africa" or Laura was just from "South America" I can imagine that annoying people. Lord knows people can be dismissive of continents they aren't very familiar with. :/

Dremark

Banned
maybe you'll like her more when we see her in motion.
personally, i don't like Necalli or Rashid's designs. Necalli reminds me of Donnie from The Wild Thornberrys and Rashid looks like some Saudi tourist.

Do most tourists wear scouters?

Zangief's reveal killed any hope for a SFIII character in the base roster.

Honestly all bets are off. They are established returning characters in that slot so it could pretty much be anyone who ended up in 4.

I mean obviously there's something to the Alex/Urien rumor, I'm pretty sure they'll be DLC pretty early on.

It said they were confirmed to be included in the game, not DLC later. If they get added later I'll consider it a coincidence.

kirblar

The issue is that it's all SF2 vets so far and Alex/Zangief fill similar roles. It'll be Guile.

The problem in the mideast is that picking a girl invariably pisses off some of the rest. So you do the game theory thing- you don't pick any of them.

ElTopo

Banned
Impossible to tell how Laura plays but I like her design. Hopefully we get an impromptu character trailer today or tomorrow.

kirblar

Impossible to tell how Laura plays but I like her design. Hopefully we get an impromptu character trailer today or tomorrow.
Ono indicated on Twitter that won't be happening, they're proceeding as normal, won't answer questions at the Mexico show about her, etc.

delSai

I like Lauras design, but i cant fully judge till i see gameplay.
Gief is disappointing, not even a redesign. Even worse is that this could be the confirmation that Dhalsim, who i like less then Zangief, is in the game.
God damn Capcom piledrived my Hype into the ground with the Zangief reveal lol, i believed that Alex is getting into the game way to much. My own fault.

NEO0MJ

Gief is disappointing, not even a redesign. Even worse is that this could be the confirmation that Dhalsim, who i like less then Zangief, is in the game.

Zangief is too iconic to get a redesign. I would have liked it if he fought with his cape on, though.

fresquito

I would have liked a redesign for Zangief. His new skills look good though. What surprises me most is that he, of all possible characters, is the one getting a v-skill that works more or less like FA. That's something I wouldn't have anticipated.

I'm not keen on Laura. There's nothing that I find good looking in her. I don't like her hair, I don't like her face, I don't like how obvious her cleveage is (nothing against boobs, but while I can understand Mika's, I think here it's just for free)., and I don't like that she reminds me of a shoto from her belly downwards. Let's hope her playstyle is better than her looks.

airjoca

God damn Capcom piledrived my Hype into the ground with the Zangief reveal lol, i believed that Alex is getting into the game way to much. My own fault.

I just don't see the NYCC reveal being anything other than an "America, fu*k yeah" character. I just don't. So... Guile. :)

Dremark

Banned
I just don't see the NYCC reveal being anything other than an "America, fu*k yeah" character. I just don't. So... Guile. :)

I could see it being him. His playstyle is not represented in this game yet to the best of my knowledge (Is anyone other than Chun and Neccali charge?).

I won't swear it's him, but I could see it being him.

NEO0MJ

They redesigned Ken. Ryu is the only one iconic enough that he's above a redesign, and even that wasn't true until after 2.

Ken's prolem was that he was dressed to similarly to Ryu. One of them had to change and no way was it going to be Ryu.

Anyways, it shouldn't matter because in the end there's costumes for those who don't like the default outfits.

WTF? What are you smoking?

The jokes have been flying over your head, huh? Lol

Zangief is no longer the Red Cyclone, that being changed to the "Iron Cyclone" He seems to go in a metal like state when his skin changes. There's a certain shine to it.

Just as Urien coats his body in metal.

delSai

Maybe Capcom is cool enough and gives us Alex so we can have that Alex vs Gief Dreammatch!

Okay i'll stop believing in SF3 characters at launch now :(

Dremark

Banned
Ken's prolem was that he was dressed to similarly to Ryu. One of them had to change and no way was it going to be Ryu.

Anyways, it shouldn't matter because in the end there's costumes for those who don't like the default outfits.

I suppose, but they didn't only change the way he dressed either.Also, I don't believe Zangief is as popular as Chun Li and she got a redesign in Alpha. IMO Zangief is touchable, but they chose not to this time.

I personally agree as long as they don't go overboard the classic skin should be available. My favorite character is Karin, I absolutely love the update she got, but I'll prolly skin get the classic as an option. I like Nash, not a big fan of the new look (It fits his story though) him I'll prolly buy classic and just use that.

Yup.

At least Ono now know how being salty over a character reveal feels like.
4tp12ro.gif

Dremark

Banned
And they should of actually went with the Hot Ryu alt as his main anyway, as evident by the overwhelming positive reaction.

Eh. Honestly I feel he's too iconic to change.

The dream match is Alex vs Haggar. ;)

Zangief vs. Haggar makes the most sense, supposedly they are rivals who have never met but copied moves from each other. I really hope Haggar gets into SFV with a unique moveset at some point.

NEO0MJ

I suppose, but they didn't only change the way he dressed either.Also, I don't believe Zangief is as popular as Chun Li and she got a redesign in Alpha. IMO Zangief is touchable, but they chose not to this time.

True, but by the time Alpha 3 came they offered her original costume as an option and no future game changed her from default since. X-Men VS Street Fighter was also the only game to use her Alpha outfit.

And while Zangief isn't as popular as Chun Li they felt he was popular enough to give a speaking role in Wreck it Ralph.

Dremark

Banned
True, but by the time Alpha 3 came they offered her original costume as an option and no future game changed her from default since. X-Men VS Street Fighter was also the only game to use her Alpha outfit.

And while Zangief isn't as popular as Chun Li they felt he was popular enough to give a speaking role in Wreck it Ralph.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying Zangief isn't iconic, I think everyone in the original SF2 cast is, even that jobber Honda. Fairly popular character too but not at the level of Ken or Chun Li.

As far as Chun Li goes you do raise some good points. Maybe she is too iconic to change now, but she wasn't back then. I still think Ken is a good counter example and they could have popped the cape on Zangief or adjusted him a bit as long as they didn't go overboard with him (A Ken or Mika level update would be fine).

I've yet to watch Wreck It Ralph but I saw a clip with Zangief and IIRC he didn't really seem to be in line with his SF character. Funny clip though.

Anyway he's recognizable, iconic, pretty popular but I don't think he's untouchable in this respect.

Zerojul

I've yet to watch Wreck It Ralph but I saw a clip with Zangief and IIRC he didn't really seem to be in line with his SF character. Funny clip though.
Yeah they say he's a "bad guy", I never perceived him as such.

I for one hope the mecha-gief alt makes a comeback. It's the only one I use now when I play Gief.

I do find it odd that Ken was the only WW to get a re-design. When I saw Ken it gave me a slight bit of hope. Then Vega came and looked exactly the same but with a shirt. Now Zangief who they literally changed nothing about.

The biggest reason why I don't like the SF2 cast is because they're in everything and always look exactly the same. At least with the Mortal Kombat character classics they change up and alter their clothes. Look at Ryu, Chun and Cammy now compared to back in SF2. They changed literally nothing about them and it became stale years ago.

This is generally why I prefer brand new characters or some obscure ones compared to the classics. You always get that surprise factor.

Dremark

Banned
Yeah they say he's a "bad guy", I never perceived him as such.

I for one hope the mecha-gief alt makes a comeback. It's the only one I use now when I play Gief.

Yeah I think he was only a bad guy in the SF movie.

Mecha Zangief was awesome and needs to return.

delSai

Super off topic but i hope Capcom goes back to the X Tekken idea sometime in the future, make it all Street Fighter, remove Gems and keep stuff like cross assault and the coop stuff. Street Fighter Tag Team Championship Edition or something like that.

Pompadour

I do find it odd that Ken was the only WW to get a re-design. When I saw Ken it gave me a slight bit of hope. Then Vega came and looked exactly the same but with a shirt. Now Zangief who they literally changed nothing about.

The biggest reason why I don't like the SF2 cast is because they're in everything and always look exactly the same. At least with the Mortal Kombat character classics they change up and alter their clothes. Look at Ryu, Chun and Cammy now compared to back in SF2. They changed literally nothing about them and it became stale years ago.

This is generally why I prefer brand new characters or some obscure ones compared to the classics. You always get that surprise factor.

I think Mortal Kombat would have benefited from not changing things up too much because, generally, all their new designs and costumes are pretty awful. Also, they did change a few things about Cammy.

Ryu and Zangief probably make the least sense to change. Ryu is the most iconic and it seems fitting that a guy who wanders the world and lives on the street wouldn't be too concerned with his wardrobe. Zangief's design is about showing off most of his ridiculously, musclebound body as possible so I think the only changes you could do is remove more clothing.

Chun-Li seems to be a mostly perfect design so I can see why they didn't change it. I would have been fine with a larger overhaul for Cammy but whatever, I appreciate that they tweaked her slightly.

I think there's a lot of SF2 characters fit to be redesigned but the ones they've chosen for V have great designs that have aged well. If they were to throw in Dhalsim, Blanka, E. Honda, T. Hawk, Fei Long, or Dee Jay then I would expect some larger changes.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member

Is this mostly about looks then? Because Ken's redesign is in line with Chun-Li, Vega and Bison. They all are a little different, but not fundamentally.

updated roster image
Now we've had Zangief, this just makes me think Dhalsim is the last returning character, and obviously since all the other new character leaks have been confirmed, Zen for the new character.

I guess that leaves Alex and Urien as DLC? I would say Urien has a chance at being a boss character maybe? But I would expect them both to be in the earliest DLC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom