• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V Roster Discussion: P-P-P-P-PATTERN BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Mortal Kombat would have benefited from not changing things up too much because, generally, all their new designs and costumes are pretty awful. Also, they did change a few things about Cammy.

Ryu and Zangief probably make the least sense to change. Ryu is the most iconic and it seems fitting that a guy who wanders the world and lives on the street wouldn't be too concerned with his wardrobe. Zangief's design is about showing off most of his ridiculously, musclebound body as possible so I think the only changes you could do is remove more clothing.

Chun-Li seems to be a mostly perfect design so I can see why they didn't change it. I would have been fine with a larger overhaul for Cammy but whatever, I appreciate that they tweaked her slightly.

I think there's a lot of SF2 characters fit to be redesigned but the ones they've chosen for V have great designs that have aged well. If they were to throw in Dhalsim, Blanka, E. Honda, T. Hawk, Fei Long, or Dee Jay then I would expect some larger changes.

I see what you mean about Zangief and I actually agree with you. But you've seen the overwhelmingly positive response to the "hot Ryu" alt which goes to show you that they could have changed him up and he would have been fine. It would look like actual character development. Ryu isn't a character that wouldn't concerned wardrobe, you are correct about that. His alt still gives off that same vibe will evolving the character a little bit.

I disagree about the Mortal Kombat statement especially in regards to MKX. Most of the classic ninjas look so much better with updated designs. Their new characters are a different argument all together though.

I have never liked Chun Li's design no matter what she looks like so that's a lost cause for me. Cammy's only personality trait is what she wears so sadly they pretty much have to keep that because of how bland she is.

pizzacat

Banned
3 months after the games release

Or hes the boss because Nash has obviously something to do with the Illuminati and there's no sign of them yet. So either Gill or Urien as the boss.

2015 and we still have unplayable bosses, smh I really do doubt it, cpcom got something up their sleeves, boss could be urien or not, they have to be playable

denshuu

Took her into photoshop. This is how I think she should have looked. Not enough women of color in Street Fighter.

1443757480_famitsu_leak_laura.jpg

It's crazy how much better this looks. Maybe Capcom will pull an Elena and get some darker skinned alt colors up for her.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
The jokes have been flying over your head, huh? Lol

Zangief is no longer the Red Cyclone, that being changed to the "Iron Cyclone" He seems to go in a metal like state when his skin changes. There's a certain shine to it.

Just as Urien coats his body in metal.

I understand the joke but Zangief is too manly and don't deserve to be comparing some weakling like Urien.

delSai

Yeah Omega was like a first look at SFV. Ryu had his parry back as an example and doing combos was way easier, just like it is in SFV now.

pizzacat

Banned
Yeah Omega was like a first look at SFV. Ryu had his parry back as an example and doing combos was way easier, just like it is in SFV now.
Deejay became a motion character in omega- Nash
Bison having a pressure move similar to this new one iirc
Kens kicks
Giefs parry

There's more

Prototype

I agree that some SF characters are too iconic to change.

Who cares about the story. Keeping the characters more or less the same gives them continued mindshare.

Pompadour

I see what you mean about Zangief and I actually agree with you. But you've seen the overwhelmingly positive response to the "hot Ryu" alt which goes to show you that they could have changed him up and he would have been fine. It would look like actual character development. Ryu isn't a character that wouldn't concerned wardrobe, you are correct about that. His alt still gives off that same vibe will evolving the character a little bit.

I disagree about the Mortal Kombat statement especially in regards to MKX. Most of the classic ninjas look so much better with updated designs. Their new characters are a different argument all together though.

I have never liked Chun Li's design no matter what she looks like so that's a lost cause for me. Cammy's only personality trait is what she wears so sadly they pretty much have to keep that because of how bland she is.

Eh, I'm biased against MK because I hate what they did to Reptile, my favorite character. I think Sub and Scorpion's new designs look good but I'm not a huge fan of the other ninja.

Most of them aren't even ninjas anymore. Scorpion, Sub Zero and Mileena look good but then they go and turn Ermac into a Shinnok alt costume, Kitana into an exotic dancer and Reptile into what the fuck is even this

Pompadour

So I'm predicting we don't get a character in NYCC but maybe a story mode reveal or a reveal of other features. Here's my predictions of future character reveals.

BGS: Confirmed Laura
IGX Mumbai in November: Probably Dhalsim
November Event in Asia (?): Zen
Capcom Cup in December: Boss and/or DLC characters

If there is a Chinese gaming event in November, that will be Zen.

delSai

Honestly Dhalsim would be even worse than Gief, because i dont like Sim at all. But i'm prepared for him to be revealed, the characters i want could be DLC, no use in being all salty over reveals even if your favorite character gets pushed away by you dont like that much. Game's great, doesn't matter how the roster looks and there's characters i want to play so i'm fine.

He's probably going to have a shirt on this time tho.

alex-sf3end6.png

He could wear his jacket

vulva

Took her into photoshop. This is how I think she should have looked. Not enough women of color in Street Fighter.

1443757480_famitsu_leak_laura.jpg
That looks fine and all but why take away from one severely underrepresented group in sf to include another underrepresented group? Let latina women have their chance too.

Raitaro

I prefer this.

Me too. They should have gone with this skin color for Laura instead. And a slightly smaller boob size while we're at it (as this series is almost getting sexualised to DOA levels with V so far).

I also want to remain hopeful that Juri, Alex and Urien will find their way onto the roster somehow and not just Dhalsim.

Zen also could still be a South Asian boxer in the vein of Manny Pacquaio (as was hinted at at some point I believe, based on that old promo video) instead of a second (probably also more tame looking) Indian character. This would be cool in my book at least.

Kain

i just hope they don't make Sim useless like he was in SFIV

and make him less rubbery... shit was whack

They could just give him most of Necro's moveset (including the lightning) and call it a day if they are so fond of his design as to include him in V. Then give him an alt with pants and milk white skin and everyone is happy.

Dremark

Banned
Let's hope.

If other fighting games can give their protagonists makeover, Street Fighter can too.

And they've already got a great design here in Hot Ryu. A missed opportunity IMO. At least the alt will figure into the story somehow.

I think leaving him alone is best to be honest. He's almost beyond the status of icon. I think Gootecks called him the Adam of fighting game characters.

I know you and a lot of people like the alt, and I see no issue with that. It's not my thing, but I have no issue with it. I just think he should be basically kept the same, if it was Ken or someone else I doubt I'd have an issue though. If they did update it I'd rather it stay closer to his image.

alex-sf3end6.png

He could wear his jacket

That jacket makes me think of Terry Bogard. I don't really like the idea because of that although it is a cool jacket.

I think leaving him alone is best to be honest. He's almost beyond the status of icon. I think Gootecks called him the Adam of fighting game characters.

I know you and a lot of people like the alt, and I see no issue with that. It's not my thing, but I have no issue with it. I just think he should be basically kept the same, if it was Ken or someone else I doubt I'd have an issue though. If they did update it I'd rather it stay closer to his image.

That jacket makes me think of Terry Bogard. I don't really like the idea because of that although it is a cool jacket.
Change is good though, especially hot change.

delSai

Ya it's Garou Terry style, but if Alex gets in the game the jacket and the one shirtless Design from a comic (i believe he fights against Balrog in it?) would probably end up being alts.

kitzkozan

It would of been epic if Ono had the opportunity to once again display his masterful yomi. :p He would of teased the next reveal with a pic which show electricity and I can already envision the meltdown that would of followed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom