• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Substance Engine benchmark implies PS4 CPU is faster than Xbox One's

Atlas157

You talk bullshit. Even with 2 enemies on the screen, Ryse has framedrops. Yeah, trough entire game there is 20 enemies in every scene in Ryse. C' mon, dude. In Killzone Shadow Fall, Chapter 3 on ISA space cruiser Cassandra, after the reactor is on, you must get away from cruiser. In one scene there is 7 Helghast to fight against. Unlike NPC's in Ryse, those Helghast are not naked, those Helghast wearing armor suit which is veeeery detailed with several materials , they don't have some stupid sword, they have guns ( some guns with flaslights to ) which creates lightning after each fire, Helghast throwing grenades on you. I return fire. Oh, i forgot. I have one NPC to - the OWL, OWL return fire to, OWL make blast which stuned enemies.... Of course, there is framedrops to in that scene, but there is so much going on on screen, much more than some scene in Ryse. And some people said that Ryse is graphically better than KZ. Sure, sure.... In another world.

I'm not that impressed by Ryse either (I still think it looks good) but this can't be serious.

delta25

Banned
Good is one thing but what about performance? Ryse is a candidate for looks but lacking in performance.

But both are launch tittles, we see this every gen. I would suspect that both respective platforms will have their time to shine. Quantum Break and The order 1886 seem like the games that will ease a lot of these hardware/performance anxiety'. Like with any console gen, they may lack the hardware but the software will always tell a different story.

KageMaru

So if Kinect takes a huge amount of overhead, that is not relavent? To developers, the reason is not as important as the performance. But it is silly right?

Such a reversal from the days when they announced a clock bump and said how many games were CPU limited, but now it is all silly.

I never said it wasn't relevant, I was just throwing a loose example to how something could affect the results and not show a clear picture on OS use or core clocks. I imagine the API and the access to the hardware may also have an affect.

I'm not saying anything for certain, nor am I debating the results. Just trying to give some alternative perspective to the possibilities when we don't know the entire picture.

We don't know how many cores they used in the final game yet. The February reveal was what that info is from and things could have changed since then.

I thought something more recent was shown, but I could be wrong.

Again, no. Kinect reserves 10% of the GPU. This thread is about the CPU, where the OS is rumored to reserve two cores on XBone, but only one core on PS4.

Regardless, this thread is about CPU power available to game devs. PS4 has more available; at least 17% more, and likely 33% more. Why it offers more power is interesting, though not technically relevant.

Has the Kinect usage ever been confirmed? If so, link please?

I agree with you that the why is interesting when we find things out about these systems. However the rest of your post sounds like your just guessing and running with it.

KidBeta

Has the Kinect usage ever been confirmed? If so, link please?

I agree with you that the why is interesting when we find things out about these systems. However the rest of your post sounds like your just guessing and running with it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...unlock-more-gpu-power-for-xbox-one-developers

Xbox One reserves 10 per cent of graphics resources for Kinect and apps functionality, Digital Foundry can confirm, with Microsoft planning to open up this additional GPU power for game development in the future. This, and further graphics and performance-based information was revealed during our lengthy discussions with two of the architects behind the Xbox One silicon.

Biker19

Banned
I always said the only way MS will get anywhere this gen is through moneyhats and marketing.

They can try as much as they want. It won't make a lick of difference as long as the price tag remains at $500 w/tax. Sure, it's selling right now, but it's because of the early adopters (or "hardcores").

But the average consumer rarely spends $500+ on home gaming consoles, especially when they have rent, bills, etc. to pay, children to take care of (possibly), & grocery.

Can't wait for visual spectacles like God of War and demanding tech showcases like GTA V to show up.

So true.

Anyone saying 'diminishing returns' is kinda stupid. The evolution of art assets, asset pipelines, art direction and graphics technology over the past generation has been more impressive than the power of those machines ever were.

delta25

Banned
Can't wait for visual spectacles like God of War and demanding tech showcases like GTA V to show up.

Was there any reason to edit my post, do we really need to specify the overall visual representation of game based on how its was achieved? Are we only allowed to judge a games visuals strictly based on its technical merits? I personally couldn't give a flying fuck for what's underneath the hood, if it looks good and runs good...That's good enough for me.

KageMaru

Hey thanks you two, much appreciated.

I only ask for links after I've exhausted my own attempt at google searches. There's way too much "link" posts going on by people who want you to do the research/legwork for them.

It's not something I do regularly. I generally do research on my free time, I just find the xbone the least interesting, so I'm not clear on some things.

onanie

It is amazing how well the maths works out for either scenarios.

If you think it's core reservation (the xbone reserves 6 for games), it would be:
6 × 14 ÷ 12 = exactly 7 (cores available to games on PS4, but it means the PS4 CPU is also running at 1.75ghz)

If you think it's purely an upclock, it would be:
1.75ghz × 14 ÷ 12 = 2.0ghz (if the PS4 reserves the same number of cores)

Based on the iOS scores — which I haven't broken down myself yet — the benchmark seems to be per-core, which would mean PS4 has 7 cores at 2 GHz, while XBone has 6 cores at 1.75 GHz, making the PS4's CPU 33% faster with regard to games.

They can try as much as they want. It won't make a lick of difference as long as the price tag remains at $500 w/tax. Sure, it's selling right now, but it's because of the early adopters (or "hardcores").

But the average consumer rarely spends $500+ on home gaming consoles, especially when they have rent, bills, etc. to pay, children to take care of (possibly), & grocery.

The PS3 was even more at $600 and the games for it until MGS4 hit were not that appealing. Yet it still sold better than the XBox 360 on average per year.

Based on the iOS scores — which I haven't broken down myself yet — the benchmark seems to be per-core, which would mean PS4 has 7 cores at 2 GHz, while XBone has 6 cores at 1.75 GHz, making the PS4's CPU 33% faster with regard to games.

iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiintersting.. but we don't know for sure if the PS4 is using one or two cores for OS. I'm leaning towards two based on the Shadowfall presentation only mentioning 6. Would be great if it's only one partioned; and not in any console war way, but just better for the developers.

Bgamer90

Banned

Heh, well there hasn't been a home gaming console that was $500 (or more) in a long time. There is proof that general consumers are okay with tech products in that range as long as they are appealing in multiple ways.

I agree that $500 will be tough once this year is over but good content and appealing features could still make many people want to get one. 2014 looks like it will be a really strong year for the Xbox One in terms of content.

I think though that MS is going to have to make some bundles if they still want to keep the $500 price around this time next year -- So $500 for Xbox One with say, Titanfall and/or Halo 5 bundled and a few months of XBL. I'm pretty sure that would sell pretty well.

Dragon

Banned
Heh, well there hasn't been a home gaming console that was $500 (or more) in a long time. There is proof that general consumers are okay with tech products in that range as long as they are appealing in multiple ways.

I agree that $500 will be tough once this year is over but good content and appealing features could still make many people want to get one. 2014 looks like it will be a really strong year for the Xbox One in terms of content.

I think though that MS is going to have to make some bundles if they still want to keep the $500 price around this time next year -- So $500 for Xbox One with say, Titanfall and/or Halo 5 bundled and a few months of XBL. I'm pretty sure that would sell pretty well.

There was one last gen.

There is proof that iPads and other devices sell in that range. There is not proof that game consoles do.

Sooo, if the clocks speeds are higher then the reported 1.65 Ghz, what is the total teraflop rate for ps4?

Available to games... Either:
96 GFLOPS at 2Ghz with 6 cores available
or
112 GFLOPS at 2GHz with 7 cores available
vs.
The previously thought to have been correct 76.8 GFLOPS at 1.6Ghz with 6 cores available.

Total TFLOPS at 2Ghz would be 1.968 TFLOPS.. Almost 2TF

or as said above; 1.95TFLOPS at 1.75 Ghz

I always said the only way MS will get anywhere this gen is through moneyhats and marketing.

In the long that won't save them. You only need 1 solid year of constantly losing to PS4, inferior multiplats, consistently losing marketshare in every region and the gen will be set in stone.

The blunders they made for this gen coming off 360 marketshare are equally hilarious as they are pathetic lol. Probably worse than PS2-PS3 because Ps3 made a comeback. Won't be long before third parties simply ignore bone because it's not worth the return in investment.

Bgamer90

Banned
In the long that won't save them. You only need 1 solid year of constantly losing to PS4, inferior multiplats, consistently losing marketshare in every region and the gen will be set in stone.

The blunders they made for this gen coming off 360 marketshare are equally hilarious as they are pathetic lol. Probably worse than PS2-PS3 because Ps3 made a comeback. Won't be long before third parties simply ignore bone because it's not worth the return in investment.

... I don't even know where to begin with this.

1. A gen isn't determined as a whole in year 1.

2. The Xbox One has pretty much made a comeback from its terrible post launch period. It's selling well -- at least so far.

3. If inferior multiplats determined a console's "life", the Playstation brand would have been gone years ago -- the PS brand had worse looking multiplats for almost two decades .

Bgamer90

Banned
There was one last gen.

Yes... at the beginning. So again, a long time.

There is proof that iPads and other devices sell in that range. There is not proof that game consoles do.

Ignoring inflation yes.

The biggest problem with the PS3 early on was that it had no exclusive content that was considered worthy of its higher price vs. the Xbox 360.

The Xbox One however, does seem to be at least getting really good content for its first year so we'll see what happens. As I said before though, if MS wants to keep the $500 price after the middle of next year, they are more than likely going to have to make some game bundles.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There was one last gen.

I think he's referring to the cheapest SKU available. Sony became the butt of the joke with "Five hundred and ninety-nine US dollars", but what some tend to forget is that there was also a 20GB SKU at $499.

I think he's referring to the cheapest SKU available. Sony became the butt of the joke with "Five hundred and ninety-nine US dollars", but what some tend to forget is that there was also a 20GB SKU at $499.

On another note... how lovely is is that we don't have to deal with multiple SKU's again.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

They probably didn't forget. To this day I've still only seen one with my own eyes and it was a refurb a couple years after launch. When I bought my PS3 around launch I really only wanted it as a Blu-ray player. I would have been all over that shit.
That SKU was basically Sony saying, "Hey look, we're really only $500.
lol
".

Meanwhile, the core 360 was widely available. (but actually more like $340 because of the practical need for a memory card before used HDDs became common) Most people I know wouldn't have noticed the difference between that and the HDD models until BF3 came out. One of my cousins had an Elite and didn't download a single thing from Live.

Bgamer90

Banned

True; but since there was a $299 Xbox 360 you still had that $200 gap either way. The $499 PS3 was a better value than the $299 Xbox 360 though.

On another note... how lovely is is that we don't have to deal with multiple SKU's again.

I don't know. I guess it's easier for general consumers but I wouldn't have mind paying $550 for an Xbox One with 1 TB.

I don't know. I guess it's easier for general consumers but I wouldn't have mind paying $550 for an Xbox One with 1 TB.

Yeah, in Microsoft's case, I could see the value in multiple sku's based on hard drive size. Even Sony had done it with the PS3 and likely will do it again.

Just as long as they are all feature complete.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They probably didn't forget.

I didn't intend to imply that those who joke about the $599 price tag did forget, just that it does slip some minds when discussion surrounding the PS3's price tag comes up -- as you say yourself, it wasn't exactly popular.

True; but since there was a $299 Xbox 360 you still had that $200 gap either way. The $499 PS3 was a better value than the $299 Xbox 360 though.

Sure, but that's not relevant to the point I was making (that the PS3 was available for less than $500, albeit barely).

or
vs.
The previously thought to have been correct 76.8 GFLOPS at 1.6Ghz with 6 cores available.

Quite a while back on here some dev or person involved with the PS4 (maybe it was even Cerny himself) mentioned that the PS4 was 'close to 2 TFLOPS'. So this all makes perfect sense in hindsight and there was debate at the time that either the CPU or GPU was clocked higher than those VGLeaks specs.

Melchiah

3. If inferior multiplats determined a console's "life", the Playstation brand would have been gone years ago -- the PS brand had worse looking multiplats for almost two decades .

With the PS2 that wasn't an issue, due to the userbase it already had before the competitors launched. Its popularity resulted with a huge 3rd party support, including a plenty of exclusives. The PS3 was saved by the varied 1st party library, which is something the XB1 isn't likely to accomplish on the same scale. They'll have to rely on bought 3rd party content, and if their userbase will be far behind the PS4's that's going to be costly/impossible.

avaya

1. A gen isn't determined as a whole in year 1.

2. The Xbox One has pretty much made a comeback from its terrible post launch period. It's selling well -- at least so far.

The generation was already decided when Sony announced they would launch this year and at a cheaper price since hell would have to freeze over for them to not significantly outsell Microsoft everywhere outside of NA.

Yes but never has a console been released at the same time as a rival product that is cheaper and more powerful to boot.

Like others have said, once the initial Xbox hardcore have bought their Xbox One's and the early adopters sated with purchases at Xmas, the console is going to struggle to sell well at that price, at least in comparison to PS4.

imt558

Banned
or
vs.

Well, before annoucement that PS4 CPU is faster, FLOPS was 102 @ 1.6 GHz ( http://www.examiner.com/article/ps4-orbis-leak-claims-8-core-amd-cpu-integrated-with-gpu ). Xbones CPU is @ 112 GFLOPS - 1.75 GHz ( after upclock ). But now PS4 is 1.75 GHz or 2.0 GHz, i think the whole system come close to 2TF.

Joke post?

It's a joke post right?

Well, number of combatants on screen in Ryse is cannot really be considered a big deal, given how limited encounters are...it isn't any different in that respect from Heavenly Sword really, except the combat system is a lot more bare bones....It is obviously a technical showcase, but to me it is also an early representation of things to come.

DieH@rd

Banned
This discussion is still running? Even though we still have zero proof about exact PS4 CPU clocks, OS reserve, Xbone virualization penalty, etc?

Le sigh.

coldfoot

Banned
If the benchmark is per core, how do you know the ps4 is using 7 cores for gaming?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
DieH@rd said:
This discussion is still running? Even though we still have zero proof about exact PS4 CPU clocks, OS reserve, Xbone virualization penalty, etc?
The benchmark context itself is only assumed to begin with, but its unlikely OS would factor into this. Ultimately the only reason this is even a debate is because CPUs are assumed to be the same and clock for one of them is not officially known.

Top Bottom