• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenumi

Banned
Infinite Stratos: 07

4n8HD5y.jpg

Laura, why are you such a jerk? Seriously, injuring training opponents enough so they can't compete in the tournament? It's a freaking school tournament, not war.

DiGiKerot

But damn, they showed Midori (aka "the one with the cute puppies") at Otakon. I wonder how many people walked out.

They didn't show it as part of the program - it was one of the things Daryl show clips of at one of this panels over the weekend (Animes Craziest Deaths, maybe? I was something I didn't make due to schedule clashes, anyway). Anyone who was there probably knew the kind of stuff they were letting themselves in for.

This show...is dumb. Like, it's just dumb. I mean it's decently entertaining and it looks pretty good, but honestly, I like the MJP mecha over the valvraves and the battles were just simply not as good. Compared to MJP, I feel like the stakes and plot are a bit more...sensible but this show is ridiculous without the sense of self-awareness that MJP has. It's just (unaware) stupid mecha fun.

Do you really think Valvrave isn't self aware? Really?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora 5 (rewatch)

Urusai count = Episode: 2 Total: 14

Suddenly I want yandere Taiga to be a thing
tSGbF14.jpg

I'd forgotten how good of a job they did making Ami pretty detestable at first. Of course by the end she becomes a better character than
"I'm going to withhold important information for no apparent reason" Minori

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Man, I find 50 episode Gundam series to be too long. I dunno how people don't burn out with these multi hundred stints.
When the show is on a roll, and the current ep is either interesting or a joy to watch, and the next ep either offers a continuation of the events or quality, then the whole process becomes effortless. It's just a matter of not stopping and letting the episode count pile up.

When you get a strong feeling of "I'd rather be doing something else right now", then it becomes hard.

I guess the difference is that shows achieve page-turner status more easily with me.
It's not like I'm talking about slogging through 2nd Nephi here.

Phi Brain 47

So many awesome Melancholy moments, but I won't gif them, I need to finish this series first

I liked the idea of the puzzle even if it ending in a twist. Klondike seems like an interesting villain too bad
it's obvious the final episode will be Kaito vs Freecell
. Seems like this is gonna have a crazy rushed ending or that we're gonna end on a TBC for season three I can't tell which.

Genshiken Nidaime Episode 13 - END

Hmmmm felt weak compared to the first 2 seasons and OVAs. The consistent focus on Hato was incredibly uninteresting for me. I thought the original cast was better in just about every way over this new one. Pretty disappointed honestly.

...As for
the scene with Monokuma speaking independently after the credits, when Enoshima was already dead
, I'm not sure if that was even supposed to be taken seriously at all. I can think of one possible explanation, but that would be spoilerish for the second game and I'm not sure how likely it really is. Better to just treat it as a silly bonus scene that was just there for the sake of it.

Cnet was right in everything he explained before that quote , so 'ill just add that the scene in question is meant as a cliffanger and IS explained in the second game.

CorvoSol

You mean Rebuild of Evangelion or all of them?

Sometimes I think it would've been nice if there'd been more than two Rebuild movies, but then again, the way they played up Rei x Shinji, I'm guessing Asuka wouldn't've benefited anymore.

Oh well, two Rebuild movies was fine anyway. Especially 'cuz the second one ended so strongly. Probably for the best that they never made another.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora 6 (rewatch)

Urusai count = Episode: 1 Total: 15

Taiga didn't really play a huge role in this episode, hence the low urusai count. Still, this does manage to be a pretty important episode for a couple of reasons.
It's the first time Taiga really seems to notice that there might be something going on between Kitamura and the student council president, and it's the first time Ami realizes that Ryuji and Taiga aren't being honest with themselves about how they feel towards each other

Next up is the pool episode, which is one of the best episodes of the show. :D

cajunator

Banned
Cajun if your still looking to pick up Sankarea, Amazon still has the LE up. I believe it's cheaper than Right Stuf.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DZP1C40/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Ill wait for the rerelease with the fixed censoring.

agree with all of this, there's only one volume of the novels available in English but it's well worth tracking down (despite Tokyopop's best efforts to fuck it up)

Yeah its a show I will watch over and over. I wish they would release the OVAS or more novels. Something more.

Aw hell yes. Looks amazing. I'm always up to see a badass female protagonist in action. Judging from the plot description I can assume that I'll be in for a good time.

Well that marks another anime down. But there are many greats that I've yet to see. So next on my list is Cowboy Bebop. From what I've heard, this is supposed to be an all time masterpiece so I've got my expectations.

Cowboy Bebop results may vary. For its time it was a HUGE deal. and I mean a fucking huge, everybody must see it, kind of thing. nowadays its flaws have been discussed ad nauseam for over a decade and the effect diminished overall. But its still IMO a landmark series that was a very enjoyable watch.

Phi Brain 48

Well... that was a thing

I wasn't expecting after all that hype for Klondike and Melancholy to
job hardcore to Freecell

The fact were racing to another puzzle of god means this ending is gonna be crazy. Hopefully this puzzle of god is better then the finale of season 1's.

Articalys

Man, the Blue Exorcist movie is crazy expensive.
Looks like the discount on Right Stuf will bring it down to $70, though I don't know if that'll change your opinion. Here's what the bonuses are:
BONUS CONTENT
■ 2 Audio Commentary Tracks by Production Staff and Japanese Cast
■ Promotional Trailers and CMs
1) Nobuhiko Okamoto (Rin), Hidenobu Kiuchi (Liu),
Atsushi Takahashi (Director) and Kenich Hayashi (Animation Producer)
2) Jun Fukuyama (Yukio), Rie Kugimiya (Usamaro),
Atsushi Takahashi (Director) and Takamitsu Inoue (Producer)

BONUS MATERIALS & SPECIAL PACKAGE
■ Bonus DVD: Exclusive Staff Interview
Atsushi Takahashi (Director), Kenich Hayashi (Animation Producer)
and Takamitsu Inoue (Producer)
■ Deluxe Booklet
■ Exclusive Illustration Postcards
■ Rigid Box illustrated by Kazue Kato (Manga Author)
■ 2-sided BD Wraps

Kimi no Iru Machi 12 Final

I love the manga and I despise this half-assed adaptation. What a bad ending. Out of all the episodes it seems like this one was the worst of all. I think they must've done this last and ran out of budget -- but it's not like the others weren't poorly animated as well. What a bad final episode. Cutting down the amount of characters really was a bad idea. Starting from the Tokyo arc really was a stupid idea. Giving it to gonzo really was a terrible idea. This adaptation sucks!

Minami-ke Tadaima 2

A stale retread of Mako-chan and Touma jokes. Makoto's VA isn't even trying to sound like a boy anymore.

Minami-ke Tadaima 3

Now this was a good episode. Good comedic timing, with pacing of line delivery that varied according to the situation, and scenarios which didn't rely on simplistic character gimmicks. Hopefully there'll be some more episodes like this.

cajunator

Banned
It's pretty meh except for Inaban. I felt it was much stronger in its first couple of arcs. It sorta became ridiculous after that. The last ED, "Salvage," was pretty awesome, though.

So is Samurai Flamenco basically just a homoerotic Kamen Rider?

Consider me sold.

I think it was a great little show but at least you recognize the superiority of Inaban so we're good here :)

No new licensing announcements from Sentai today, just a preview of their release slate for January 2014:

It's worth noting that Taisho Baseball Girls and Maria Holic were both previously released as sub-only DVD sets.

Also, Sentai says that they still don't plan on making DVD/BD combo pack releases in the future.

Double dip time!
The DVDs were pretty cheap and a while ago so its worth picking up Taisho and Maria holic BDs.

Aria the Natural 16

Gondola-san ;_;

The use of the first season's OP killed me too, god damn this show is beautiful.

This show is indeed gorgeous and a great way to unwind.

Rewatch Digimon Tamers 1

Hi I'm Takato, and I created my original Digimon, Blagumon!

This one doesn't really blurt out the whole "HEY ITS A SHOW IN A SHOW" like the Saban dub did, but it sure is subtle about it. A small fuckwad is being chased about, in a digital realm, and there's some dudes in suits. Takato even has a wet dream about Rika and Renamon (before even meeting them) where she brutally murders a Digimon (considering the whole Digimon are actual flesh and blood as seen in Adventure 02). He's also kinda fat... or that's just the animation.

The overall feel of this episode can be described as slow for the most part.

The Intro: Sure does tell you right off the bat on who will get Digimon, on top of there being more than the Core 3.

cajunator

Banned
Chuunibyou movie-related spoilers:
the new character from the second LN volume (and by extension, the second anime season) appears in a brief teaser at the end of the movie.
The promotional postcards given out as a gift to theatergoers this week show the anime design for the new character who's going to appear in the second season, Satone, though she won't be wearing this costume in the series itself:

(via @ultimatemegax)

HNNNNNNNGH

I still need to watch Toradora. I mean, I've got it sitting right in front of me ready to start anytime, I just need to find the right time.

Yeah you should start this as soon as you can. Its so charming. So cute. So funny. So romantic. All the good stuff.

Princess Tutu 06

That ending. Aaaaaaaaaaaa
Also Ahiru is strangely popular.

Cat sensei is best character. Easily.

Oh my god, apparently Gerald from Anime World Order watched Midori: Shoujo Tsubaki (!!) at Otakon and then they recorded a podcast about it. Imma get me some popcorn, Jesus.

But damn, they showed Midori (aka "the one with the cute puppies") at Otakon. I wonder how many people walked out.

Holy shit. How did they get away with that?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Toradora 7 (rewatch)

Urusai count = Episode: 1 Total: 16

Man. I just love everything about this episode.
Taiga dropkicking Ryuji at the beginning, Taiga poking Yasuko's breasts, Ryuji being a total bro and making the fake breasts for Taiga, Taiga's adorable embarrassed expression when Ryuji asks if she's flat
, just everything. And speaking of that, what's with the "It can't be that...you're flat chested?" line, anyway? Why would you even have to ask that? One look at Taiga would tell you she's basically a surfboard. :lol

Tenumi

Banned
To LOVE-ru Darkness: 09

Hey, somebody got some To LOVE-ru in my To LOVE-ru!

Anyway, bit of a plot-filled episode, with some backstory of Yami and Mea. Also, Yami was literally stuck to Rito all episode. Fanservice ensued.

Theonik

Princess Tutu 07
Shit getting real now. Frossemeyr is still a dick though and Ahiru is just dumb.
OMG Rue henshin. Dat jealousy. Wonder what will happen to the prince's curiosity though now.

Dangan ronpa - 13

I was convinced by someone i trsut to watch the last episode at least since i was VERY DISAPOINTED by how they handled this serie.

I think what show here is how strong the finale plot is since it was the goal the writter had in mind FROM THE START and it shows ... it's a strong finale and even in this lackluster adaptation is quite good.

So i guess this was an alright episode, with a nice cliffanger to the 2nd game inserted.

It's really a shame that danganronpa the anime was , IMO so lazy in some parts.

Trully a shame.

cajunator

Banned
As posted above, the English dub trailer for Magi is working now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTit5k75uvE

Hmmm. Interesting. But Ren will be a huge downgrade.

Infinite Stratos: 08

So...
The harem is now complete. Laura's surprise save and kiss, and Charles officially re-introducing as Charlotte
. Looks like a beach episode up next!

Charlotte isnt as good but...still Charlotte. still best girl.

Princess Tutu 07

Shit getting real now. Frossemeyr is still a dick though and Ahiru is just dumb.
OMG Rue henshin. Dat jealousy. Wonder what will happen to the prince's curiosity though now.

Hell yes. Dat Rue.

Articalys

Interesting -- according to the Crunchyroll industry panel, they revealed that the Japanese license holder for the JoJo's Bizarre Adventure anime never even shopped the title around for overseas distribution when it first aired.

mhs004

Interesting -- according to the Crunchyroll industry panel, they revealed that the Japanese license holder for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure never even shopped the title around for overseas distribution when it first aired.

I can see why our countries licensing laws are extremely strict. I don't really blame them. I still wish it would come to the U.S though.

Articalys

First Crunchyroll simulcast announced today: Meganebu.
Next announced is Galilei Donna.
Next is... Bottom-Biting Bug S2. Seriously. Well, they did stream the first one...
Finally, they'll also be streaming Walkure Romanze.

Details should be up shortly.

edit: apparently Galilei Donna was published for simulcast by Fuji TV, not Aniplex. Will have to wait for details to be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom