• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

Interesting -- according to the Crunchyroll industry panel, they revealed that the Japanese license holder for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure never even shopped the title around for overseas distribution when it first aired.
They were probably hoping the English speaking fans would buy the English subbed JP release.

Phi Brain 49

That ending was hype, can't wait for the finale between Kaito and Freecell

Also Nonoha finally let her hair down for real

iG2a4SjdVssT2.gif

It's too bad that to have a hair down nonoha , there need to be a delusionnal teenager asking, first.

First Crunchyroll simulcast announced today: Meganebu.
Next announced is Galilei Donna.
Next is... Bottom-Biting Bug S2. Seriously. Well, they did stream the first one...
Finally, they'll also be streaming Walkure Romanze.

Details should be up shortly.

Nothing I care about

Interesting -- according to the Crunchyroll industry panel, they revealed that the Japanese license holder for JoJo's Bizarre Adventure never even shopped the title around for overseas distribution when it first aired.

Well that's disappointing

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
One of the events at Machi Asobi 11 in a couple weeks is "The World of Kunihiko Ikuhara", with additional guests Hideaki Anno and Lily Hoshino.

http://www.machiasobi.com/events/ikuhara.html

dde182c4eeb1c9412fe12abd5038a2b9-we-all-want-to-go-to-there.gif

Next is... Bottom-Biting Bug S2. Seriously. Well, they did stream the first one...

Dammit...KnK and Golden Time are less than a week away...someone hurry up and pick them up!

Midonin

Of the announcements, these are the only two that are relevant to me. But even two more series helps. Plus, Walkure gives me a chance to hear Rino Kawashima/Kei Mizusawa's voice on TV. I'm a huge fan of her eroge work.

Phi Brain 50 S2 Fin

The final puzzle was a bit of a let down, interesting design, disappointing execution. Why can't Phi Brain seasons have a good final puzzle? Story wise though it was really good, and of course to DTL's cringe
Nonoha was the one who saved Kaito from the limbo world and the person Kaito invited to be together with him to solve puzzles

Overall I liked S2 better then S1 is most ways, but at the same time I felt it had a bit too many characters running around with too many plot threads some with rather unsatisfactory conclusions. I'll give S2 a 4/5 same as S1 even if I do think S2 is slightly better I don't think it was so much better to warrant a higher rating even if it did have Melancholy.

Can't wait for Season 3

Joe Molotov

Guys, I'm cycling back and forth between Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Battle Tendency arc) and Hyper Dimension Neptunia and it...is...glorious! DavidPro for studio of the year.

Phi Brain 50 S2 Fin

The final puzzle was a bit of a let down, interesting design, disappointing execution. Why can't Phi Brain seasons have a good final puzzle? Story wise though it was really good, and of course to DTL's cringe
Nonoha was the one who saved Kaito from the limbo world and the person Kaito invited to be together with him to solve puzzles

Overall I liked S2 better then S1 is most ways, but at the same time I felt it had a bit too many characters running around with too many plot threads some with rather unsatisfactory conclusions. I'll give S2 a 4/5 same as S1 even if I do think S2 is slightly better I don't think it was so much better to warrant a higher rating even if it did have Melancholy.

Can't wait for Season 3

One more phi brain follower ... it's always good to have more people to discuss "puzzles".

duckroll

edit: apparently Galilei Donna was published for simulcast by Fuji TV, not Aniplex. Will have to wait for details to be sure.

So that's all 4 boxes? Does FUNimatiuon have anything at all for Fall? Lol.

Hyperdimension Neptunia The animation - 12

As someone who enjoy the neptunia universe a lot this anime a LOT of things right and very few things wrong..

Hyperdimension%20Neptunia%20The%20Animation%20-%2012.jpg

Delicious voice , delicious angry face :p
This episode was great , nice set of action , cool scenes , delicious antagonist with a great voice and plenty of good things overall.

It was really- enjoyable just like this season in general. I can't believe they managed to summarize that much of the game plots in this original new setting but i'm glad they did .

This was fun , enjoyable , full of cameos with a plot that made sense and wasn't afraid to be silly .. trully good and i'm just happy that this anime was made.

I only regret that they couldn't cram MORE character from the neptunia universe in this anime.. but they only had 13 episodes.

This anime was a solid 9/10 there was nothing wrong in the animation , nor on the characters they managed to do something original with the games plot and it was enjoyable from start to finish. The music was solid as well , noything ground breaking but various nice thunes from the games .. again ...

That's how you adapt a rpg into an anime.

Attack on Titan 25 Fin

Wow way to completely fuck up an adaptation, they completely botched the ending and it creates huge problems for however they plan to start S2 of this show.

If you're interested in this series read the manga, 2/5 can't forgive the show for completely botching the last few episodes.

jD41MuQ.jpg
NmgqKTH.jpg

Issei is, and will always be, one of the best harem protagonist ever

Highschool DxD New 12

Glorious final episode. Azazel being a part of the main cast now and Akeno (and the other girls) living with Issei, ends the season on a high note and leaves me extremely excited.

Overall, I would put Season 2 right alongside with Season 1, as one of my personal favorite anime seasons. Story was much improved from the last season while the characters, action, and fanservice were all above great. Each of the new characters introduced were entertaining and meshed well with the already outstanding cast. The action continued to be simply awesome and the fanservice was absolutely magnificent.

Highschool DxD is officially one of my favorite anime shows ever and a Season 3 needs to happen now.

10/10 Outstanding. Anime is going to take a backseat for awhile, as I go and read those light novels.

wonzo

Banned
KILL LA KILL EPISODE 1, 30 SECOND PREVIEW: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15aj05

Believers: 1
Unbelievers: 0
I mustn't be believing hard enough as this ain't loading. :(

Oh my god, apparently Gerald from Anime World Order watched Midori: Shoujo Tsubaki (!!) at Otakon and then they recorded a podcast about it. Imma get me some popcorn, Jesus.

But damn, they showed Midori (aka "the one with the cute puppies") at Otakon. I wonder how many people walked out.
It's moments like this that make me proud to own a copy. *strokes it*

So that's all 4 boxes? Does FUNimatiuon have anything at all for Fall? Lol.
They always add more tho.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Genshiken end
zdoanBFl.png

What a random AnoNatsu reference.

z8A0GQPl.jpg

K-On!! this time.

You know, the references that the show makes leads me to wonder if these were just updated for the anime or if they were in the original book. I guess I could just easily check myself, but... yeah. lol

brNG83Jl.png

Also, this apparently broke duckroll, but maybe zeroshiki might see this and be able to explain. The character, at this moment, actually says something that to me sounded like "冇問題", which is rendered here as "No problem". Which is what it actually means in Cantonese. But apparently this isn't a phrase that is used in Japanese. So maybe the character is dropping random Chinese into her speak? I dunno. lol

Anyway, as for the show itself... you know, I guess ending it with Madarame basically saying "you'll always be a nerd" is, I suppose, really the only thing they could have done to tie it all together. You have Madarame give up his job and Hato almost giving up his crossdressing (which comes up again actually), but life and the club is supposed to continue. It's just weird because the rest of the show was focused a lot on both Hato's "crush" on Madarame and resolving the end of the Madarame/Saki relationship... (at least until Spotted Flower. Fuck you wonzo!) so it doesn't really feel like something that quite comes together.

But, barring some miracle, I can't imagine this will get a sequel series. So with that in mind, I suppose they did the best they could.

Quasar

Genshiken Nidaime 13 - nice end to a show I really enjoyed. A nice epilogue for a lot of stuff as well allowing for the continuing story that will never happen given the disastrous disc sales in japan. Time to pickup the manga.

My teenage snafu OVA - Cute but meaningless fluff. Having only the reoccurring characters made it feel off to me.

Necrovex

Attack on Titan 25

Super Sayian Titan! Yeaaaaaaaaah!
Unlike some, I didn't mind how the show wrapped up for the season. Though, I plan to read the manga once I finish reading the Thriller Bark arc of One Piece. So I might despise how it ended.

Hajime No Ippo 15

Now a show that is better than Attack on Titan. As I think more about it, this show gives me a major Space Bro vibe, simply in terms of the feels and chasing your dreams.

The first round of the rookie tournament was so bloody exciting. I shouldn't expect him to lose, but I am always finding myself at the edge of my seat. I hope to see Jason in the near future.

Edit: Save 'N Quit, I want to watch Highschool DXD because of the picture you just posted.

Articalys

Okay, Crunchyroll finally got the details out for their simulcast announcements today.

Walkure Romanze will be Sunday mornings at 9:30 am PDT. Available everywhere except Asia.

Galilei Donna will be Thursday mornings at 11:00 am PDT. Restrictions on this one are:
Available in U.S.A, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Netherlands, Central and South America including Caribbean, Europe (including Scandinavia and French-speaking and German-speaking territories)

Meganebu will be Sunday mornings at 9:00 am PDT, for North America only.

(and Bottom Biting Bug S2 is Mondays at 3:00 pm PDT, with a list of countries I'm too lazy to copy.)

All same-day, which is nice.

Gen'ei o Kakeru Taiyou - Il Sole Penetra le Illusioni - 13

This was a satisfying ending but i have to agree that it felt "safe" , still it's obvious that there is more going on that intended so i don't mind the story ending like it because it feels like they could make more and honnestly i hope they do.
Gen%27ei%20o%20Kakeru%20Taiyou%20-%20Il%20Sole%20Penetra%20le%20Illusioni%20-%2013.jpg

What a twist !
CEREBRUM was a nice antagonist , very competent indeed , and he had trully several fall back plans "just in case" and he was only defeated because he was a bad guy .. that doesn't annoy me because he felt like a complete vilain and thus seeing him fall ws expected and satisfying.

The cast was great ... it was more "explicit" that i thought and they didn't hesitate to show what they needed to show , the moments were they were fighting weren't bad either even if they could have been better.

I end this anime mostly satisfied, and wanting more , the concept was great , the execution mostly perfect and teh antagonist was doing a great job .

I want a S2. ( 8.5/10)

Now that my initial "they changed and ruined it" rage is gone, I'm still disappointed with the way the anime handled it's adaptation, but as a whole the series did a pretty solid job. If you only watch the anime the issues I have with it's adaptation probably won't impact you. I still recommend the manga over the anime though.

Midonin

Like with every season, I'm expecting CR to pick up most shows. Funi are the ones who are kind of unpredictable in their choices, though as always, sequels are a good bet. (Not that there are many this season.)

cajunator

Banned
Like with every season, I'm expecting CR to pick up most shows. Funi are the ones who are kind of unpredictable in their choices, though as always, sequels are a good bet. (Not that there are many this season.)

I actually havent watched Neptunia yet cause its on Funi. If it was on CR I would have watched by now >_

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Shingeki no Kyojin/Attack on Titan Episode 25:

Kudos to this show for not pulling a Gecko Ending on us, instead wisely going for the open ended stoppage that hints at another season. For there most likely will be a second season of one of the hottest anime properties around right now. I do not see that being forestalled and hamstrung for more episodes. Anyway, one again, we see where all of the animation dollars went as we get a rather visually impressive end fight between Annie and Eren. This also reaffirms my belief that there are about six people who would have made better protagonists then him, since he is so bloody useless. We wrap up this arc with the characteristic melancholy bitter-sweetness that is rather unwarranted. People died, yes, and Annie is locked in a cocoon of ice but you also have her in custody, maybe she does not talk now, but crack that nut, and we shall see what happens. Indeed out teaser for season 2 seems to be a secret of massive interest, titans are in the walls. So many questions, so many questions, no answers, just questions, we need answers.

Series Analysis: So the phrase the work that will save anime gets bandied quite a bit these days, looking at you Kill La Kill, and while anime has no need of saving, it has a it of an accessibility problem these days. Attack on Titan is about the most accessible Otaku O' Clock anime I have seen all year. Though this makes sense since in spite of the propagated levels of maturity, this is still a shonen show, and it wears those tropes very glaringly. Indeed, it has some of the bad tropes like shit pacing and exaggerated emotions, yet in spite of that, this was still a very entertaining ride, for the most part. The Defense of Trost arc really was the nadir of things as the production problems really dragged down an already slow arc to near unwatchable levels. That aside, this show knew how to hook viewers and to level them wanting more, I think it is the rare person who wants things to end at this point. Attack on Titan currently trends at number 3 on my AOTY list.

Kokoro Connect 5 - 6
Oh, my. It's actually really enjoyable. I really like the setting and the paranormal presence. I feel it's like a meta commentary about viewers who enjoy watching characters suffer because it's interesting.

Midonin

I actually havent watched Neptunia yet cause its on Funi. If it was on CR I would have watched by now >_
Totally understandable. I know when I was watching Senran Kagura back in January, there were times where getting to the episode was almost impossible. Though everything they post goes up on Hulu within a few days, Neptunia included. Not that Hulu is any better, with all those ads.

Okay, Crunchyroll finally got the details out for their simulcast announcements today.

Walkure Romanze will be Sunday mornings at 9:30 am PDT. Available everywhere except Asia.

Galilei Donna will be Thursday mornings at 11:00 am PDT. Restrictions on this one are:

Meganebu will be Sunday mornings at 9:00 am PDT, for North America only.

(and Bottom Biting Bug S2 is Mondays at 3:00 pm PDT, with a list of countries I'm too lazy to copy.)

All same-day, which is nice.

Galilei Donna gives me four back to back on thursdays, and perfect day for Meganebu! Sunday lunchtime with megane.

Kurita

Attack on Titan 25 Fin

Wow way to completely fuck up an adaptation, they completely botched the ending and it creates huge problems for however they plan to start S2 of this show.

If you're interested in this series read the manga, 2/5 can't forgive the show for completely botching the last few episodes.
How did they botch the reveal? (I won't bother watching the anime so...)

Articalys

Funimation had nothing new to show at their panel, and they even had to cut the Q&A because of technical issues at the start giving them less time.

Gazoinks

My friends finally got me back into anime, so now I'm basically catching up on all of the things I've missed (which is basically everything). It's a good feelin'. :)

Recently completed shows are:
-Baccano! (Yes!)
-Cowboy Bebop (YES!)
-Michiko to Hatchin (YEEES!)
-Madoka Magica (No ;_;)
-Gurren Lagann (YEEEEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!)
-FLCL (YE-buh?)

I just started Ergo Proxy, so we'll see how that goes. I've also been slowly watching Panty & Stocking. I'm kind of completely baffled why I like that show, but I do! Oh Gainax, oh you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom