• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Akeno master race reporting in for the new thread.

Hnnnnng.

Oh, and I was playing a little bit for FE: Awakening last night and:

EOq6tk1.jpg

I love this game. So much.

Nafe

Haven't posted for a little over a week now.

Happy birthday to CorvoSol and belated Happy Birthday's to FelixOrion and PorcelainThrill.

---

Should have replied earlier... I hope this helps you after all, Nafe... :)

I was going to say that that's alright and no one had to replied to me. Now I feel it's my turn to apologize as I'm so late to respond (a little over a week!). I apologize then for taking so long to get back to you. Especially with the really informative and thorough response you gave me. :)

A.D Vision & ADV Films have been sometimes used as totally interchangeable names between the main administrative and retail/publishing arms of the same company respectively, so I won't get into that... but, basically, true scholar MDWigs says everything you need to know about the beginning of that mess:

http://everything2.com/title/Redone+Evangelion+Episodes

This situation obliged A.D Vision (or ADV Films) to later work on both DVD releases of NEON GENESIS EVANGELION Directors' Cut: Resurrection substituting their own previous 7th DVD of the old TV version from before the late Japanese releases of Genesis 0:11 & Genesis 0:12 incorporated the "Directors' Cut", correctly called 'New Video Edition', scenes of episodes 21 to 24 made for EVANGELION: DEATH, and NEON GENESIS EVANGELION Directors' Cut: Genesis Reborn in turn also substituting their own previous 8th DVD of the old TV version, this one without changes (no slight changes or old LD 'video edition' credits for 25' and 26' like in the Japanese Genesis 0:13 & Genesis 0:14 ones).

But all doesn't matter that much after in Japan the RENEWAL OF EVANGELION project came into play, which spawned the Platinum Edition DVD versions of some western releases. These incorporate the new digital master of all the series including the "Directors' Cut" episodes anyway (plus the 'feature film' EVANGELION: DEATH(TRUE)² and Air/My Purest Heart, For You in edits as seen since REVIVAL OF EVANGELION), whose are the definitive ones for the moment.

So, to finally answer your question, the "Platinum Edition" you mention has both the 'On Air' and "Directors' Cut"/'New Video Edition' versions, so people recommend the later more expanded one most of the time.

Actually paying attention to the company names and I could see how the ADV in ADV Films could stand for A.D. Vision...

That clears up the release timeline of Evangelion now I believe.

I was actually looking at the different releases and it's kind of strange some of the changes they made. That post mentions about making the previews 30min. long as opposed to 15min. but in the renewal version they're shortened back to 15min.
There's some minor things such as one scene with Gendo in episode 21 with text on the bottom of the screen saying who he is in the original broadcast. In the directors cut this is removed but in renewal it's brought back again.
One of the biggest changes seems to be the tank with Rei, episode 24 I think, has all these images that flash by in the directors cut that weren't present in the original. They are removed in the renewal version but all the other changes made to that scene remain.

I actually looked up the movie Death as it seemed to go through a couple changes as well. It seems there was the original version, then a satellite broadcast which edited out the newer scenes basically present in the director cut titled Death(TRUE), and then a third release where some or all of those scenes were added back in plus some other edits labelled DEATH(TRUE)² like you mention in your post.

When companies make all these re-releases with changes it makes you wonder which one is the "definitive" version or which you would be best off with purchasing...

Your second assumption is spot-on. It is the non-cropped, 4:3 version of episode 6 that the 'Renewal' Aim for the Top! Gunbuster DVD-BOX also featured... catalina (@ginban_catalina) already made comparison screenshots from the BD-BOX transfer, visible here the cropped 16:9 and here the 4:3 one.

OK, so just the last episode was cropped then. Now I'm wondering why that was. A theater release or something perhaps? I'll have to look it up to see if I find anything myself regarding that.

That "short video" announced at first was a new (well, two new) 'Space Lessons', instead of extra shorts from the 'Renewal' Aim for the Top! Gunbuster edition that you are probably referring to here (these ones, right?). Not too long ago, 4Chan's /m/ resident Nomake Wan made another translation for these new 'Space Lessons' worth taking into account:

Gunbuster 'Kaettekita Kagaku Kouza' English TL - Pastebin.com
http://pastebin.com/FYjLYF2N

Anyway, still behind with 20 pages of the thread for me to read now... maybe someone answered you already!

OK, so it was a couple of new "Science Lessons" then. I have yet to watch them. I've only quickly taken a look at the first one so far.

Those Renewal shorts you mention there are the shorts I was referring to, correct.

Jintor

Ghost in the Shell: Arise

Very interesting, very reminiscent of SAC. As usual I got lost in the political maneuvering
especially when cyberbrain hacking and false memory viruses begun to become involved
but overall I liked it a lot; it knew exactly what it was doing and didn't waste a second.

Strange to see a younger-shelled Motoko though.

Andrew J.

Hnnnnng.

Oh, and I was playing a little bit for FE: Awakening last night and:

I love this game. So much.

Are you just now getting to Kjelle/Severa? You need to download the Harvest Scramble DLC and view their convos, posthaste.

Majestic Prince 22

Good action with high stakes; most importantly,
it was believable that the destruction of the gate could have happened right there. It was totally conceivable that the last two episodes could have been spent on mopping up the Wulgaru, and that they would all (Jiart included) go into a berserker rage necessitating Izuru's deployment and the final showdown, etc.

Silver Spoon 09

I like that Hachiken at least acknowledged that vegetarianism is an option. Meat's just too tasty, though.

Symphogear G 09

I like how Chris has become a straight man to Tsubasa's seriousness and Hibiki's enthusiasm.

Poor Miku. I wonder if she'll keep her powers once she gets snapped out of her brainwashing? I'm always interested when characters who were noncombatants for a long time are suddenly thrust into a fighting role.

Servant x Service 10

it90FUkzcpsr5.jpg

No-clip Chihaya >>>>> Clip Chihaya

I think this was one of the funnier episodes as of late since I think this show has been kinda dull for the past couple of weeks. That Miyoshi/Tanaka scene in particularly had me laughing pretty hard. Glad to see that this show seems to be finishing strong enough.

MyAnimeList is back up and what do I do?

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 21

Makoto gaining some points here, punching Tuxedo Mask/Mamoru for being a douchebag.

Everyone keeps going their own ways, and it's costing them greatly
Kunzite made Ami his waifu. Dat Dark Mercury.

The Motoki/Makoto loveness keeps on going, she's getting what she wants in this adaptation too!

Also Makoto is the waifu-est still

Man shit just keeps getting real here.

Majestic Prince Episode 22 – Operation: Heaven's Gate

Really well done episode.
Onii chan can really do it when he put his mind too, or rather to protect Izuru. But that high energy barrier :(

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
RWBY 8

Uhh... Not sure how I feel. When you cut out all narrative elements and stuff and put in the action the show is alright. I still feel that the action in the trailers are a lot better than what's showcased here. Still there were some standout moments in terms of how the camera was working and the idea of taking down the monsters was sort of unique. I guess. Bad action is better than no action? Idk.

zeroshiki

P4 was a case of good adaptation ... it wasn't perfect .but they nailed it

Neptunia is another awesome exemple of great adaptation from game to anime.

doublechie.jpg

Fans liked it because it was more Persona. As a work in itself, it was a terrible mess from production to final output.

I straight up ragequit Amagami SS when she didn't even get Jun'ichi in her own arc.

Also, I'm kind of surprised I even made the list.

That's a damn shame considering Tsukasa's arc was one of the best in the show.

Also
they end up a couple in the next season, albeit pretty damn quickly since each girl arc is only two episodes long.

Persona 4 has proven to me that beloved game -> anime adaptations will lead to nothing but tears.

I'm sure the right staff could make it work, but it is a more difficult transition to make than with a manga or novel due to moving from an interactive to non-interactive medium. I think that means that it's tougher to do a good adaptation of a game (but having better staff working on it could make something like that work).

doublechie.jpg

Fans liked it because it was more Persona. As a work in itself, it was a terrible mess from production to final output.

Some changes are necessary going from one material to another. i honnestly don't understand why it was a mess when they did all they could to nail the setting of P4.
It's not perfect and can be improved ..but it's far from being a mess.

Danganronpa anime is a mess....

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 22

Ami brain washed all them students. No one likes Usagi anymore, just like how no one likes her in the [dub] anime.

They think about how they've been jackasses towards Ami, and then had to go fight a Youma and Dark Mercury.

Sailor Moon powers down and uses the gloves Ami knitted for them to snap her out, but Dark Mercury went BITCH please and cut them in two. Gawd daaaaaamn.

Too bad it powered up Sailor Moon, who cried to the point of getting a new power for the sake of fixing her gloves.

Sadly next time looks like we'll leave that plot line hanging.

Meanwhile an illusion of Zoicite appears in Mamoru's apartment calling him Master Endymion

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I watched Up On Poppy Hill this evening.

NOT RELATED BY BLOOD!
MIYAZAKI COP OUT.

I think they go about things differently enough. But I wouldn't want to watch them both in a row.
I just remember seeing them relatively close to each other and, yeah. lol
I think on its own terms, it's a fine movie. Like Welcome to the Space Show.

I straight up ragequit Amagami SS when she didn't even get Jun'ichi in her own arc.

Also, I'm kind of surprised I even made the list.
Yeah, just watch season 2. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom