• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Heaven's Lost Property 1

Don't ask, don't ask.

I could do without the whole chain and collar around neck thing. Anyway, a guy who wants to live a peaceful and normal life goes and uses his new...uh, pet robot girl to become rich as fuck, be a pervert, and wipe everybody else off the face of the planet. Yep. Peaceful and normal, that's what you want, buddy, sure.

Welp, after I watch the new Servant x Service, I'm finally gonna start Eccentric Family.

Also, is Gatchaman Crowds worth checking out this late in the season? What I mean is, am I missing much by passing on it?

Heaven's Lost Property 1

Don't ask, don't ask.

I could do without the whole chain and collar around neck thing. Anyway, a guy who wants to live a peaceful and normal life goes and uses his new...uh, pet robot girl to become rich as fuck, be a pervert, and wipe everybody else off the face of the planet. Yep. Peaceful and normal, that's what you want, buddy, sure.

That reminds me that an S3 was announced like a million years ago and I haven't seen anything about it since. I need more Nymph and BWAKA BWAKA inside me.

Servant x Service - 10
Servant%20x%20Service%20-%2010.jpg

You don't say

I regret not watching this episode sooner...

The secret is out of the bag it seems... it seem that kanon is still hiding things ..i wonder what will happen if toko finds out
.i hope this don't lead up to more regrets :D

cajunator

Banned
Heaven's Lost Property 1

Don't ask, don't ask.

Dude, that series is HILARIOUS. Best harem show.
Nymph is a cutie.

If I'm gonna keep watching this, should I do dub or sub? Funimation did this, and they also did the Girls Bravo dub, which was amazing.

I'm pretty much never someone you should ask about dubs since I dislike a majority of them. I think everyone's seiyuu, especially Tomoki's does a fantastic job so I think you should really go for sub.

EDIT: Gross, Greg Ayres. DEFINITELY SUB.

I dunno, Girls Bravo had Fukuyama. The guy who voiced him in the dub should win an honorary Oscar, Emmy, and Tony every year until the end of time.

Having seen both , i feel strongly that sora no otoshimono is superior ... this serie doesn't hold back

Shergal

Wow the wall of shame was a massacre
I just remember seeing them relatively close to each other and, yeah. lol
I think on its own terms, it's a fine movie. Like Welcome to the Space Show.
Space Show has some structure/pacing problems that become kinda annoying, like they had too much ideas and needed to cram all of it into the film.

Momo is pretty good, I agree. And I don't see the Wolf Children comparisons, they're fairly different.

Another so-so film with amazing animation is Niji-iro Hotaru but it seems nobody watched it ;_;

Best harem MCs are truly the more shameless ones. Tomoki, Yokodera, Issei, bless em.

Yeah you don't have to tone down the crazy with them ..it just happens

Do i have to include makoto ( School days ) as a crazy harem MC , too ?i think he was shameless too , but in another way..

Excellent choice. Absolute comedy gold. Plus flying pantsu. Yes, FLYING PANTSU.

Best use of CG in the last decade

cajunator

Banned
Yeah you don't have to tone down the crazy with them ..it just happens

Do i have to include makoto ( School days ) as a crazy harem MC , too ?i think he was shameless too , but in another way..

Best use of CG in the last decade

It was actually majestic.

Shergal

I was hyped for it before it came out, but after BluWacky's negative impressions I kind of lost interest.

I loved it, but that's probably more to do with my narrow interests than anything else. I think if nothing else it's an interesting thing to check out, because it's very different to everything else made these days, even if it doesn't completely succeed.

zeroshiki

I'm sure the right staff could make it work, but it is a more difficult transition to make than with a manga or novel due to moving from an interactive to non-interactive medium. I think that means that it's tougher to do a good adaptation of a game (but having better staff working on it could make something like that work).

While I agree with you philosophically, most of these adaptations are cheap cash-ins created to abuse the fanbase. I wish all anime would have decent budgets with good staff as well but its more often than not, not the case with these things.

cajunator

Banned
While I agree with you philosophically, most of these adaptations are cheap cash-ins created to abuse the fanbase. I wish all anime would have decent budgets with good staff as well but its more often than not, not the case with these things.

There isnt enough talent in the industry for every project to get a fair shake.

I loved it, but that's probably more to do with my narrow interests than anything else. I think if nothing else it's an interesting thing to check out, because it's very different to everything else made these days, even if it doesn't completely succeed.

I'll probably watch it eventually just for the visuals, same with Fuse and maybe the Star Driver film, but it's not high on my priority list. These days I find myself more interested in the quality and thoughtfulness of the direction than the quality of the animation as such.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 23

That's how it is between Rei and Minako. Whole lotta teasing, and punishment games IN SECRET! And Rei's punishment for not powering up first is forcing her to sing to kids. All this tension!

Meanwhile Minako still seems like she's dying.

zeroshiki

Heads up that the Hayao Miyazaki press conference is gonna be in 43 minutes on Nico douga. Someone informed me it will have English somehow. I don't know how. Someone please watch it and give me running updates ;_;

/shouldhavetakensickday

cajunator

Banned
Heads up that the Hayao Miyazaki press conference is gonna be in 43 minutes on Nico douga. Someone informed me it will have English somehow. I don't know how. Someone please watch it and give me running updates ;_;

/shouldhavetakensickday

Ill try to watch it.

Shergal

I'll probably watch it eventually just for the visuals, same with Fuse and maybe the Star Driver film, but it's not high on my priority list. These days I find myself more interested in the quality and thoughtfulness of the direction than the quality of the animation as such.

Hmm, purely in terms of technique, I don't think the directing in Niji-iro is that bad. It relies quite a bit on animation to play out some difficult and more elaborate sequences, but it can totally convey the mood at various times. It's when it comes to placing the major story beats and character psychology that it feels lacking.
It's not great either, but all the visual elements make for a solid package even if you aren't particularly interested in the animation or that specific style of design and movement.

Oh absolutely. I recognize that. Hence, I was just saying that in a hypothetical scenario where you actually had a talented staff working hard to make a good adaptation, it could work. The sad reality is that it's pretty rare for something like that to happen, although it isn't impossible. I think that other issues can also lead to a cheap cash in for a game having a much lower floor than a cheap cash in for a manga does, which also compounds the issue.

Hmm, purely in terms of technique, I don't think the directing in Niji-iro is that bad. It relies quite a bit on animation to play out some difficult and more elaborate sequences, but it can totally convey the mood at various times. It's when it comes to placing the major story beats and character psychology that it feels lacking.
It's not great either, but all the visual elements make for a solid package even if you aren't particularly interested in the animation or that specific style of design and movement.

Well, I do like Hisashi Mori. And Shinya Ohira's Niji-Iro scenes I've seen clips of are pretty cool. I am fond of stylized animation; it's just that if there's going to be a narrative (totally fine with plot-less abstract works doing whatever) I'd like the animation to serve the storytelling instead of the latter being an afterthought.

Syrinx

Heaven's Lost Property 2

Well this show certainly pulls out all the stops, doesn't it?

It would be hilarious to be in the White House cabinet meetings about the worldwide panty meteor shower. True international crisis, yo.

zeroshiki

Oh absolutely. I recognize that. Hence, I was just saying that in a hypothetical scenario where you actually had a talented staff working hard to make a good adaptation, it could work. The sad reality is that it's pretty rare for something like that to happen, although it isn't impossible. I think that other issues can also lead to a cheap cash in for a game having a much lower floor than a cheap cash in for a manga does, which also compounds the issue.

I think, for one thing, the cheap manga cash-in adaptation is designed to get people interested in the manga as well and improve its sales. The cheap game cash-in has the roles reversed in that the people who enjoyed the game are the ones who will buy the anime.

cajunator

Banned
Heaven's Lost Property 2

Well this show certainly pulls out all the stops, doesn't it?

It would be hilarious to be in the White House cabinet meetings about the worldwide panty meteor shower. True international crisis, yo.

Heehee. It gets so much better too.

zeroshiki

You know, even with the cop-out second twist, I was kinda shocked that From Up On Poppy Hill actually even went there.

I hated that about Poppy Hill not because it went there but because it was so superfluous to the actual plot. The whole thing would have worked well enough with the story about the clubhouse and some of the main guy's family angst. Adding it just made it feel like cheap melodrama.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Wow the wall of shame was a massacre
Space Show has some structure/pacing problems that become kinda annoying, like they had too much ideas and needed to cram all of it into the film.

Momo is pretty good, I agree. And I don't see the Wolf Children comparisons, they're fairly different.

Another so-so film with amazing animation is Niji-iro Hotaru but it seems nobody watched it ;_;

Well, for those two films, it was more the absent father and how the two films dealt with that particular "gimmick".

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 24

Jupiter didn't power up. God damn it.

Zoicite keeps fucking with Mamoru trying to tell him the truth
ME KUNZITE NO LIKEY! Zoicite actually attempts to save him but gets killed right off the bat. Jesus christ.

It didn't take as long for Usagi to find out TUXEDO RAMASAMA's identity, she actually compared height and his commentary to figure it out. She's pretty smart. One of these days, she has to ask why they kept all this info from her. I mean shit.

a slightly hedonistic, perverted, yet nice guy attitude is the best harem protag.

We're reaching an agreement here.

--------------
SAIN SEYA OMEGA - 70

WARNING : this episode of sain seya omega was actually good ..i repeat ..It was a great episode.

I honnestly haven't been THIS satisfied by a sain seya omega episode since the second season started... This is as if someone asked me what was wrong in the current arc and followed my instructions on how to correct things ....
Saint%20Seiya%20Omega%20-%2070.jpg

DAT SWAG , DAT ATTIITUDE

REASON 1
This episode had a Very large portion 80% dedicated to the fight ... of course there was some talking but that was reasonable... and when they talked it was not for some nonsense as friendship , as burning your cosmo ...no this was to discuss tactics ..

REASON 2
Subaru was out of the fight bbecause he was ko-ed in 1 hit at the start ..he didn't even have the time to spout nonsense ...1 garbage character out of the screen

REASON 3
The main vilain of this episode was actually treatening , had the attitude corresponding to his rank , and wasn't relying on stupid trick or deus machina power ... this lead to keep thing simple , yet effective... no bullshit

REASON 4
I don't like haruto ... but this episode showed various reason to believe in the character because i clearly saw his potential here. I still don't like a saint that is also a ninja , but if they give me 1 more episode like this i'll forgive him fro everything that happenned ( especially the start of season 2 ).. yes haruto did his job , masterfully

REASON 5
This was actually nicely animated... they had a simple open arena to fight but the amount of detail during the fight was on par with the best episodes of season 1 ... this is actually a excellent episode on that aspect , especially given how the cloth armor were getting destroyed bit by bit ... very well done.

REASON 6
The pacing of the episode was very nice, it was cliché and predictable but in a good way .. they nailed the flashback and they surprised me with how it ended...i want more ...

SO , for all the reasons above , this is so far , the BEST EPISODE OF SEASON 2 yet well deserving the note of 9/10

cajunator

Banned
We're reaching an agreement here.

--------------
SAIN SEYA OMEGA - 70

WARNING : this episode of sain seya omega was actually good ..i repeat ..It was a great episode.

I honnestly haven't been THIS satisfied by a sain seya omega episode since the second season started... This is as if someone asked me what was wrong in the current arc and followed my instructions on how to correct things ....

REASON 1
This episode had a Very large portion 80% dedicated to the fight ... of course there was some talking but that was reasonable... and when they talked it was not for some nonsense as friendship , as burning your cosmo ...no this was to discuss tactics ..

REASON 2
Subaru was out of the fight bbecause he was ko-ed in 1 hit at the start ..he didn't even have the time to spout nonsense ...1 garbage character out of the screen

REASON 3
The main vilain of this episode was actually treatening , had the attitude corresponding to his rank , and wasn't relying on stupid trick or deus machina power ... this lead to keep thing simple , yet effective... no bullshit

REASON 4
I don't like haruto ... but this episode showed various reason to believe in the character because i clearly saw his potential here. I still don't like a saint that is also a ninja , but if they give me 1 more episode like this i'll forgive him fro everything that happenned ( especially the start of season 2 ).. yes haruto did his job , masterfully

REASON 5
This was actually nicely animated... they had a simple open arena to fight but the amount of detail during the fight was on par with the best episodes of season 1 ... this is actually a excellent episode on that aspect , especially given how the cloth armor were getting destroyed bit by bit ... very well done.

REASON 6
The pacing of the episode was very nice, it was cliché and predictable but in a good way .. they nailed the flashback and they surprised me with how it ended...i want more ...

SO , for all the reasons above , this is so far , the BEST EPISODE OF SEASON 2 yet well deserving the note of 9/10

Of course. Spineless protags suck.

Shame Saint Seiya Omega doesn't seem to be worth watching. I would've jumped in immediately because of Umakoshi designs but everyone said it sucked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom