• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Crest of the Stars Episode 3:

I do appreciate the time given to world building and character development that this show is fostering, but I am glad they are going to pick up the pace next episode. Anyway, this episode was most importantly about establishing the character of Lafiel. Indeed we get to learn her goals, her dreams, her backstory and the fact that Jinto and her will eventually fuck and fall in love.Kind of overwrought in that regard actually but whatever. We also get quite a bit of insight into the culture of the Abh and their extensive genetic manipulation and yet in spite of that they are still cool with the old fashioned way. I don't I have ever seen that before in a work of fiction. Anyway, another solid episode but I am starting to get impatient with things.

SAO 22

DmPpkgp.jpg

Suguha finally discovers the truth and even confesses her love. Good for her I guess.

Other than that there's some battle stuff with lots of shouting.

CorvoSol

Someone wants to prove miracles doesn't exist=revolutionize the world? Was that it? Why are some school's students dueling over it?

Yeah you definitely missed a lot. The duels are for possession of the bride. The bride is the key to the power to revolutionize the world. People want that because everybody wants a wish granting genie. Thepower changes the world to fit the wielder's desires. Jury's desire for the powerto disprove miracles is an expression of her desire to be free from Shiori. It isn't that hard to apply this template. You are kinda meant to think about stuff.

BluWacky

Someone wants to prove miracles doesn't exist=revolutionize the world? Was that it? Why are some school's students dueling over it?

(I am keeping this vague so there are few spoilers)

"The power to revolutionise the world" means something different to each of the duellists. Whatever they think is given to the winner of the duels - whatever it is they think End Of The World has promised them - will bring their own worlds revolution. What do you think Jury will gain if she proves miracles don't exist? What do you think Saionji will get if he finds "something eternal"? The world that is revolutionised is something psychological, not material.

The Council duels over possession of the Rose Bride because they have been invited to win this power through beating the other Duellists (although the terms are very, very vague - as you will have realised - because it is up to End Of The World to choose when the final duel will take place).

I am surprised you think Utena is a "bad" person. I think she's as far from that as possible. Is this based on her (spoilers from last third of series)
sleeping with Akio
? I strongly disagree with the idea that she fails to "stay noble" and I think the ending of the show should make this clear.

Yes, the plot and structure is repetitive (particularly if you watch it all in quick succession, rather than having three months or so between each iteration of the principal characters' story arcs as you would have done on original broadcast). Did you not find the different perspectives provided by the Student Council / Black Rose / Apocalypse Arc versions of each story interesting, though? I think there's a very clear culmination in the Apocalypse Arc episodes of each character's storyline that shows appropriate development, although clearly you feel differently.

As for your question about incest - what purpose do YOU think it served? How did it make you feel?

Obviously I disagree with your opinion, but I just want to try and understand where you are coming from. Maybe Utena isn't "hard to understand" but it feels like you are, at the same time, admitting to not understanding it. I couldn't fathom accusing it of "stupid symbolism", for instance - unlike many similar shows, the symbols, allegories and metaphors in Utena are genuinely meaningful.

(most of the time)

All true.

But you can't really fault the quality piece of work they did.
Iam not.
I really liked and praised this anime for 2 years+

Ai Tenchi Muyo anime designs: http://www.ai-tenchi.jp/chara/index.html

Staff & cast with encyclopedia links: http://animeslovenija.tumblr.com/post/97297922415

This feels really weird.
I don't mind new faces and i'm not sure what they'll do with those designs ..

I guess i'll watch hoping that it'll NOT turn into a "sasami-club" - like experience

SAO 23

Hm... Some decent battle stuff actually. At least more fun than most of the other ones in the show.

Poor Recon though. Rejected by the girl he likes and then his self-sacrifice wasn't that much help at all. :p

Narag

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Story was just bad. Utena tries to stay noble but fails and eventually loses her purity just like everyone else, really odd cuz throughout the show the emphasis is constantly on how she wants to be a prince and how she's different. I found it hard to relate to her. She is just a bad person who shows vehement favouritism towards Himemiya. Like when she chose to defend Himemiya despite Wakaba telling the truth. There's no character development, they all stay flat and two-dimensional. There was only one dynamic character and it was Nanami. I enjoyed her episodes even if they were humorous fillers. Her relationship with her brother was one I would've liked to see more and it was annoying they cut her off right after the big plot twist (that really wasn't).

Animation and art were poor, looks like all of the budget went into backgrounds to further its stupid symbolism.

Speaking of the stupid symbolism. What does it mean to bring revolution to the world and how is it achieved by acquiring the Rose Bride? Why is the Rose Bride doing what she's doing? Cracking the shell of the world? What purpose did the incest theme serve?

Story progression is awful, told in a terrible methodical way. Cast is introduced, something happens>fight each of the cast every episode until end of the arc>new arc same procedure. Same lines uttered, same fighting animations, dealing the same finishing moves. Recycled footage and plot each arc. Over and over again.

Did no one get bored to death with how to show kept repeating itself? wow

4/10 stay away from this garbage

This is worse than the rant that got uchip banned.

Mr.Jeff

Wow, I never knew it got to the point where Mr.Jeff suffered from IS stockholm syndrome. #2 IS fan indeed. :(
Et tu Dangle? Narag's propaganda got to you as well. As expected of AnimeGAF's greatest villain.

With regards to im@s, I went into the show already with a massive grudge against it being an idol show so this is probably clouding my opinion a lot.

At least with Dog Days I went into it with "it's meant to be Nanoha with tails and ears".

Narag

Et tu Dangle? Narag's propaganda got to you as well. As expected of AnimeGAF's greatest villain.

With regards to im@s, I went into the show already with a massive grudge against it being an idol show so this is probably clouding my opinion a lot.

At least with Dog Days I went into it with "it's meant to be Nanoha with tails and ears".

It's all you know, I set the ball in motion and simply walked away.

If you're having issues with the lighter first half then I worry how you'll take the less successful dramatic back half.

Midonin

Princess Tutu 15-17

So the plot has changed from gathering emotions to the villains being the ones doing the collecting. All the musical/episode title choices - such as Coppelia or Carmen - are appropriate for the story too, and in some cases (such as Coppelia) are actually called out. I have no idea if Pike and Lilie were ever nice to Duck at some point, because Lilie is like Tomoyo with a sadistic streak. I'm also noticing a lot of big-name VAs playing bit parts, though I don't know how big some of them were in 2002. Like Mamiko Noto as Freya, or the more obvious ones, like Papaya Suzuki as Femio, whose voice was a total mismatch for his character design, perhaps intentionally so. Fakir has pretty much become a full-fledged hero by this point, even if he's a knight in recovery. And one more thing I'm curious about. If the official subs rendered Ahiru as Duck, then why not Uzura as Quail? The fact that Edel has taken on a bird name for herself in her reborn state makes me wonder what role she has to play in the events ahead.

Defuser

I'm surprised that this hasn't been posted
Tokyo Ghoul Manga to End This Month
which baffles me even more why they are rushing through and trying to adapt like 80 chapters in 12 episodes as it's clearly not to push future manga sales anymore :/

Eh, it's common for a manga/LN to end abruptly but announced a sequel continuation to it. Brave 10 -> Brave 10 S, To Love Ru -> To Love Ru Darkness, Rosario + Vampire -> Rosario + Vampire : Season II. To Aru Majutsu no Index ->To Aru Majutsu no Index :New Testament.etc.etc There's too many things left untied for Tokyo Ghoul to end.

SAO 25

Yup. That's it.

Lots of various stuff happens. The end.

Eh, not my kind of thing. Not interested in MMO stuff, not a lot of comedy and the sad parts didn't grab me.

Not the worst thing I've watched, but it was mostly bland. Only exception was the hilarious ALO ending, and the Lisbeth episode wasn't bad either since it had some comedy.

Some of the music was good. It made the battle stuff at least seem exciting sometimes.

I give it 2/5 NerveGear:
0nWyGa8.png
0nWyGa8.png
RkE8LwB.png
RkE8LwB.png
RkE8LwB.png

Is the Utena movie just a recap or has it new material?

Yeah you definitely missed a lot. The duels are for possession of the bride. The bride is the key to the power to revolutionize the world. People want that because everybody wants a wish granting genie. Thepower changes the world to fit the wielder's desires. Jury's desire for the powerto disprove miracles is an expression of her desire to be free from Shiori. It isn't that hard to apply this template. You are kinda meant to think about stuff.

That much I got as well, but what I meant was how the Rose Bride gets them the stuff they want, is revolutionizing just metaphorical? Why does Himemiya get abused by her brother, why is there incest. Why is Himemiya even a wish granting genie. What are the references to the watches. Too many questions that go unanswered and perhaps don't need an answer because of its mystique. I thought the plot and symbolism was garbage.

Midonin

Invaders 10

I am both easily placated by and knowledgable about my toku, and even more than the Kabuto references in Tulip's arc, it appears that Kiriha's entire storyline revolves around a Sentai team. The "everyone is Red" joke was done before in Samumenco, but the heroes invading a stage show and not knowing it was just an act is new. That they gave a shoutout to local heroes is also noteworthy of my attention. (Hachimantairer is the best local hero, or at least has the best theme song.)

If they're fighting against an underground empire, they likely believe that Kiriha's people must be a series of Tubes. Almost all Sentai homages are from the mid-80s style of Sentai, which is when Maskman would've aired. And of course, you can't have a Sentai parody without yellow loving curry. It's a different take on it compared to something like After V, but it's not exactly the same style of Sentai humor I've seen in other works either.

Magical girls and Sentai inhabiting the same universe and not just the same kids' block, plus a role where Yuuichi Nakamura isn't playing a deadpan character. This show is a real sleeper hit, and I hope it gets at the very least an OVA.

Midonin

Tokyo ESP 10

Ah, the origin story episode. Part B of it at least. The first half was more disturbing, though. That detainment center with the arm-numbers is going right for the worst possible historical correlation in the treatment of ESPers.

I've got a 3DS Smash Demo code. PM with the answer to the question below and I'll randomly select a winner from those with the right answer.

What anime am I supposed to finish to complete my newest watchbet?

EDIT: Codes gone.

zulux21

I wanna pm you but I've no idea what a watchbet is lol.

from what I have gathered a watchbet is where you and another person challenge each other to watch a show you haven't seen, typically of the same length. For example I could challenge you to watch skip beat and you would in turn challenge me to watch log horizon. There may be more to it though :p
The other show I'm currently watching got both twin love and a brother that loves his little sister so yeah.

so how bad is it that I first though Ouran High School Host club when I read this
192902c2a9.jpg

twin love
01079e076a.jpg

brother who loves little sister....
brother not shown :p
>.>

Mr.Jeff

If you're having issues with the lighter first half then I worry how you'll take the less successful dramatic back half.
If it's anything like the drama from the last episode I might end up making up an im@s drinking game to see me through.
I was originally aiming for an episode a day but I might just power through this weekend and see and end to it.

Also, Happy Birthday Hellsing321 and peaceiscloser.

cajunator

Banned
Saving anime again, one amazing series at a time!

2014-09-1116.55.2461k2w.jpg
2014-09-1116.55.3180k0r.jpg

You are the hero that anime needs AWESOMEBEAR

Thanks. I hope it's cool.

Chuuni is very enjoyable and silly. Rikka is very cute. Rikka's older sister is amazing.

Working!! 4

Yeah, I think I like this show.

Wait until you see Yamada!

I didnt notice at first because Articalys edited that post but yeah. Team braids so far.

This make way too much sense.

Paranoia Agent 1-3

Posting my impresson about Paranoia Agent, a tv series directed by late Satoshi Kon.

Goddamn, everything about it look so great. I like how animation vary between each episode to emphasis the problem with each character. This being Satoshi Kon, he use of image, abstract animation, cutting scene feel so fluid. There's also no mundane scene. Every scene serve it's purpose well enough to give a viewer a chance to analyze the significant of the scene and if it's relevant to the previous episode or not.

I'm enjoying my ride so far.

Satoshi Kon's work is best executed in movie format I think, but Paranoia Agent was a solid first, and last try in anime format. Towards the end it gets as convoluted and confusing a bit, but overall a fine psychological horror of sorts. Very creepy, and very cool. Paranoia Agent is utterly unique in anime.

Holy shit, these episodes were an hour long?

First time seeing an anime with hour long episodes.

Only the first, which is filled with exposition to set up a very character heavy story narrative.

dan2026

God damn I started watching Fate/Zero after giving up on Stay/Night and holy shit is this about a 1000 x better.

The characters are better, the art and animation are better.
Somehow the story is better, even though it is technically the same story.

Mr.Jeff

You know Jeff, Undine in Aria is pretty much an idol!
Stop that! Even if the jobs are comparable at least I don't have to sit through interminable j-pop, irritating dance routines and boring teenage angst when watching Aria.

Also still waiting on Syrinx final comments about Origination. Unless he's storing up the final episode.

duckroll

God damn I started watching Fate/Zero after giving up on Stay/Night and holy shit is this about a 1000 x better.

The characters are better, the art and animation are better.
Somehow the story is better, even though it is technically the same story.

Dude. Why did you start watching Fate/Stay Night? That adaptation was horrible! Didn't anyone warn you? The people who made the Fate/Zero anime are redoing Fate/Stay Night and it's starting next season. :p

dan2026

Dude. Why did you start watching Fate/Stay Night? That adaptation was horrible! Didn't anyone warn you? The people who made the Fate/Zero anime are redoing Fate/Stay Night and it's starting next season. :p

Yeah I know this now....

All I heard before was 'Fate Stay/Night is soo good, the characters and story are excellent! '

Then I watched the anime and it was fucking shocking.

cajunator

Banned
Toei made Sailor Moon. Remember those transformations being used every episode? Yeah, They did DB/Z/GT as well, with all the episode-long powering up.

They practically invented cost-cutting in anime production. Pierrot ain't got shit on the master.

The very act of cost cutting/saving money is what made those lengthy series possible in TV format though in the first place. It was either they did that or the shows wouldnt be made at all.

So then what's the best studio?

Shaft!

Is this something I should watch? And if yes then for pleasure or research?

Its watchable, but you might like Hyouka more if you arent into cuteness/moe traits as much. Rikka has some pretty significant psychological problems.

I haven't seen that yet. Will try though since I've run out of things to watch.

Watch "From the New World"

Talking about Sengoku Collection, I forgot to note which of episode that worth watching, anyone want to point again?

The one with Ieyasu!

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Story was just bad. Utena tries to stay noble but fails and eventually loses her purity just like everyone else, really odd cuz throughout the show the emphasis is constantly on how she wants to be a prince and how she's different. I found it hard to relate to her. She is just a bad person who shows vehement favouritism towards Himemiya. Like when she chose to defend Himemiya despite Wakaba telling the truth. There's no character development, they all stay flat and two-dimensional. There was only one dynamic character and it was Nanami. I enjoyed her episodes even if they were humorous fillers. Her relationship with her brother was one I would've liked to see more and it was annoying they cut her off right after the big plot twist (that really wasn't).

Animation and art were poor, looks like all of the budget went into backgrounds to further its stupid symbolism.

Speaking of the stupid symbolism. What does it mean to bring revolution to the world and how is it achieved by acquiring the Rose Bride? Why is the Rose Bride doing what she's doing? Cracking the shell of the world? What purpose did the incest theme serve?

Story progression is awful, told in a terrible methodical way. Cast is introduced, something happens>fight each of the cast every episode until end of the arc>new arc same procedure. Same lines uttered, same fighting animations, dealing the same finishing moves. Recycled footage and plot each arc. Over and over again.

Did no one get bored to death with how to show kept repeating itself? wow

4/10 stay away from this garbage

All I can really say is you apparently skimmed through this series way too quickly and missed a lot of symbolism in it. While I think some of te symbolism is silly myself, I can recognize the significance of all of it and that this is actually a quite complex series bending more to the psychological aspects of its characters (like Eva does) rather than the physical reality (this is a pretty abstract and surreal world to begin with). Utena does have a lot to say but it requires careful watching to really understand it.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Pupipo!

man that was a sweat story. a simple, heartwarming with bittersweet end story of our little kirby

I'm gonna call it now: Pupipo! has been one of the stronger showings this year (for me at least) but it's gonna get over looked and snubbed in the AOTY votes this year because people just didn't watch it. WHICH IS A DAMN SHAME.

Saving anime again, one amazing series at a time!

2014-09-1116.55.2461k2w.jpg
2014-09-1116.55.3180k0r.jpg

You're a good bear

Can we have a good discussion about this? This is a view I've seen many times but never really substantiated. I've played the VN and I can't see what they did to ruin the adaptation. The music is great, the animation is serviceable and the story was barely changed from the VN (I can't think of any majour plot points removed). Yet everyone talks about it being a butchering like they took out some great scenes or otherwise started making things up. I'm interested in what Ufotable will do, but I see most of their improvements coming in the visual department, unless they are using a different route that isn't shit. Because Emiya not letting Saber fight for him is sexist nonsense even if it looks awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom