• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive in next months EDGE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is there so much excitement for this game? Insomniac has a pretty bad track record spanning several games, yet everyone seems to be ignoring that. Why is that?

I feel the only complete miss for most was FUSE. Resistance was awesome, R2 had great MP, and R3 had great SP. Ratchet and Clank has been consistent. Which several games do you find to prove a bad track record?

Why is there so much excitement for this game? Insomniac has a pretty bad track record spanning several games, yet everyone seems to be ignoring that. Why is that?

It's pretty simple - the E3 trailer, while not actual gameplay, makes the game looks like it could be really fun and gorgeous.

Toadette

Banned
Good to see Sunset Overdrive information out soon.

Did the plan change on how you would show it? Last I heard I thought Phil Spencer said it was going to wait until E3?

Also, can you say anything about whether we'll get a gameplay video or anything with the info?

You could buy an Xbox One to play it!

for one game no thanks

That should be fun, sure.

550 euro to play one game i dont think so

Kids these days... so lazy!

i wait till a console has 5 games that i wanna play before purchasing it

coldone

hopefully they were able to invest and build a good engine. Main problem has been floaty physics, bad animation without mo-cap, very low details without tessellation.

It will be ideal if they work with some one like Crytek to amp up their engine, Insomniac games will be much better. Their tech team is the weakest link.

StuBurns

Banned
No, quite right, I was just implying I don't think watching a game on YT is fun, and you'd be better off just not watching it, but yeah, it's subjective of course. For me it would just irritate me that I can't play it, it wouldn't be satisfying.

Chettlar

Banned
for one game no thanks

i wait till a console has 5 games that i wanna play before purchasing it

Certainly. Nobody can blame you for that. But don't spoil it for yourself. MS is bound to have some other good games you'll enjoy. Pick it up then.

Oh, and plus, hopefully it'll get a pricedrop soon.

No, quite right, I was just implying I don't think watching a game on YT is fun, and you'd be better off just not watching it, but yeah, it's subjective of course. For me it would just irritate me that I can't play it, it wouldn't be satisfying.

It's surprisingly fun watching someone else play a game. It's almost like watching an 80s horror flick, you know the person is going to do something incredibly stupid and you can't help but scream at the TV for them to stop or just engage their brain for a moment...

StuBurns

Banned
It's surprisingly fun watching someone else play a game. It's almost like watching an 80s horror flick, you know the person is going to do something incredibly stupid and you can't help but scream at the TV for them to stop or just engage their brain for a moment...
I think it would be fun if I could play the game myself, but as some sort of replacement for playing a game, I can't imagine it's effective, but I haven't really tried it, so yeah, maybe I'm wrong.

I think it would be fun if I could play the game myself, but as some sort of replacement for playing a game, I can't imagine it's effective, but I haven't really tried it, so yeah, maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think it's meant to replace the experience of playing the game. Watching livestreams have a much more communal, shared-experience feeling to it especially when you've got interactions via chat with not only the individual streaming but with other viewers as well. As with everything, YMMV when it comes to the quality of the stream, the streamer (how engaging they are, how good their commentary is, etc..), and the game being played itself. But when it all clicks however, it's pretty fucking awesome.

Im still butt hurt over Ted Price stating he doesn't want to do exclusives anymore (after he announced going MP for Fuse) and now making this exclusive for the XB1. I really like Insomniac's games, Disruptor is still one of my favs but man why did he have to go and make such a backstab move like this.

KissVibes

Banned
Im still butt hurt over Ted Price stating he doesn't want to do exclusives anymore (after he announced going MP for Fuse) and now making this exclusive for the XB1. I really like Insomniac's games, Disruptor is still one of my favs but man why did he have to go and make such a backstab move like this.

Backstab move? Jesus Christ.

They needed someone to fund this project and Microsoft was interested, so that's how things went.

Would you feel this way if after Fuse Sunset Overdrive was a Nintendo game?

How about PlayStation?

What it comes down to most is Insomniac getting to keep the IP. MS is letting them keep it. Sony would not.

They needed someone to fund this project and Microsoft was interested, so that's how things went.

How about PlayStation?

I'm sure that Sony after the 10+ years of supporting them would have helped them with a new IP. They wanted to be the next big indi developer and it blew up in their face. Now they went to the first place that gave them the most cash.

What it comes down to most is Insomniac getting to keep the IP. MS is letting them keep it. Sony would not.

Really? Sony the guys who are helping fund plenty of indi games on their platform without any requirement to remain exclusive after launch?

derFeef

I'm sure that Sony after the 10+ years of supporting them would have helped them with a new IP. They wanted to be the next big indi developer and it blew up in their face. Now they went to the first place that gave them the most cash.

Uhhh, nope.
And the IP stays at Insomniac - just fyi.

StuBurns

Banned
Lighten up.

They wanted to own their IP, not everyone is going to want to support that.

iceatcs

How about PlayStation?

Well, to be fair. Ted said going for multi-platform. I think he will feel the same if a Nintendo or PS game. I hope :/

Was it part of the EA partner program before they dropped it?

Really? Sony the guys who are helping fund plenty of indi games on their platform without any requirement to remain exclusive after launch?

This is a AAA title. They need funds, so they need a publisher. MS is publishing while letting Insomniac keep the IP. They would have to fund the game themselves in the situation you described.

I can accept that. Every studio seems to run into a stain sooner or later.

Not to be "that guy," but what about All 4 One and the tower defense game? Were they considered good? Never played either but heard bad things and both came before Fuse. Into the Nexus was at least a step in the right direction.

As for this game, I really liked Resistance 2 Co-Op and if Sunset Overdrive is anything like that, then two thumbs up in my book.

Except Sunset Overdrive is not really the same scope as most of these indie titles (nothing against them, but SO is clearly intended to be a AAA title).

If Sony publish a title, they own it and Insomniac didnt want that anymore, they wanted to have the creative freedom to do what they wanted and own their own IP. MS gave them that opportunity

KissVibes

Banned

Riiight.

So why didn't Sony get Sunset Overdrive? Could it have had something to do with the previous few Resistance games not selling like Sony wanted? How about all those Ratchet games that were weird and didn't do so hot themselves?

Sony probably wasn't interested in this game. Microsoft was and let them own the IP so if the game isn't quite a success, Insomniac can take it elsewhere but if it does well, Microsoft will want to keep the relationship going.

These are totally different situations.

Well, to be fair. Ted said going for multi-platform. I think he will feel the same if a Nintendo or PS game. I hope :/

I doubt the poster would feel it was a backstab from Ted Price if this was a Sony game.

Was it part of the EA partner program before they dropped it?

Nope. Fuse was the only game they partnered with EA on.

Bsigg12

This isn't an indie game. Sony operates on if they publish a AAA game, they keep the IP. Microsoft usually let devs keep their IPs but in return get first crack on follow ups.

SkareKro

from the makers of Fuse comes Sunset Overdrive

how exciting!
From the makers of Way of the Warrior comes Uncharted. Look it goes both ways.

Seriously though. I personally take each game based on their own merits. I remember people on Neogaf complaining about Killer Instinct being made by Double Helix. After KI and Stryder people are saying MS is stupid for letting Amazon buy them. I don't care if a developers previous games are My Little Pony. If said game looks good I'll be interested in it till proven otherwise.

PhatSaqs

Banned
butthurt-form.jpg

Riiight.

So why didn't Sony get Sunset Overdrive? Could it have had something to do with the previous few Resistance games not selling like Sony wanted? How about all those Ratchet games that were weird and didn't do so hot themselves?

Sony probably wasn't interested in this game. Microsoft was and let them own the IP so if the game isn't quite a success, Insomniac can take it elsewhere but if it does well, Microsoft will want to keep the relationship going.

Tinfoil hat - what if Microsoft fully funded it as a knock to Sony? While always 2nd party, stealing away a developer like Insomniac would cause a reaction to fans on both sides (though I think it would have been even larger if Fuse didn't happen).

I am not saying this is the case at all, but I remember Ted Price saying they wanted to go multiplatform to spread their wings and after one time at bat already ended up backing at developing exclusives. Who knows who approached who, but conspiracy theories are fun so I am sticking to that.

Except Sunset Overdrive is not really the same scope as most of these indie titles (nothing against them, but SO is clearly intended to be a AAA title).

If Sony publish a title, they own it and Insomniac didnt want that anymore, they wanted to have the creative freedom to do what they wanted and own their own IP. MS gave them that opportunity

But this isn't always the case. Sony has published games in the past that they do not own the IP to. Hell they are publishing Borderlands on the Vita. Other games are Doki-Doki Universe, Escape Plan, Dust 514 and Pixeljunk Series.

Heck it was common for them to co-publish games often during the PS2 era.

Lemondish

I feel the only complete miss for most was FUSE. Resistance was awesome, R2 had great MP, and R3 had great SP. Ratchet and Clank has been consistent. Which several games do you find to prove a bad track record?

R3 was a step back for the franchise and effectively killed it. R&C All 4 One was pretty awful, and Full Frontal Assault was even worse. Then there was Fuse, which I don't think I need to elaborate on. Finally, we come to their most recent game, Into the Nexus, which was extremely repetitive and didn't come anywhere close to the brilliance of the Future trilogy.

At this point I don't see insomniac as a top tier developer any longer. Sunset Overdrive could totally fix that, but I don't see why anyone should be this excited for a preview of a game from a developer with a less than stellar track record.

Tinfoil hat - what if Microsoft fully funded it as a knock to Sony? While always 2nd party, stealing away a developer like Insomniac would cause a reaction to fans on both sides (though I think it would have been even larger if Fuse didn't happen).

I am not saying this is the case at all, but I remember Ted Price saying they wanted to go multiplatform to spread their wings and after one time at bat already ended up backing at developing exclusives. Who knows who approached who, but conspiracy theories are fun so I am sticking to that.

They may still intend to go multi-platform with the franchise since they own IP. Who knows?

StuBurns

Banned
But this isn't always the case. Sony has published games in the past that they do not own the IP to. Hell they are publishing Borderlands on the Vita. Other games are Doki-Doki Universe, Escape Plan, Dust 514 and Pixeljunk Series.

Heck it was common for them to co-publish games often during the PS2 era.
Those are all very poor examples.

If Sony sinks thirty million into a game, they probably want to own the IP, and so far, no publishing deal they've made suggests otherwise.

I doubt the poster would feel it was a backstab from Ted Price if this was a Sony game.

Well then I would still consider Ted Price a hypocrit since he stated he was done with exclusives and then continues to make them. My butt hurt comment is the fact that they were very strong supporters of Sony and then when their inaugural multiplatform game bombs they run to whoever gives them the biggest check.

Those are all very poor examples.

If Sony sinks thirty million into a game, they probably want to own the IP, and so far, no publishing deal they've made suggests otherwise.

Ok, How about these...

Tekken, Soul Calibur 3, Ace Combat, Time Crisis, Kingdom Hearts and Ridge Racer.

All have been published or co-published by Sony during the PS2 era when Sony had the most weight to throw around.

EDIT: Lets not forget that Sony published Final Fantasy VII for Square...

I've said this before but Insomniac has decended into mediocricy for me in the last few years.

They ruined Resistance with their poor decisions in 2, and while 3 was an improvement, it was just "good", at best. All 4 One and FFA were both crap, and Into the Nexus was average. I don't think I need to say much about Fuse either. In my eyes they haven't been a good studio in a long time, but that's my own opinion based on my experiences.

Had they announced this after ACiT, at their peak you bet I'd be hyped, but as is, I really couldn't care less. Now, if they prove me wrong and impress me, I'll be glad to say I was wrong.

The thing that got me most hyped about SO was the possibility, while small, that Ratchet can go to another Dev.

Ok, How about these...

Tekken, Soul Calibur 3, Ace Combat, Time Crisis, Kingdom Hearts and Ridge Racer.

All have been published or co-published by Sony during the PS2 era when Sony had the most weight to throw around.

Can you find a PS3 example where the developer kept the new IP?

StuBurns

Banned
Ok, How about these...

Those were years ago, what about now? They were also just publishing deal, Sony didn't fund those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom