• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

uh...is this your first review thread or something?
Hardly. I just don't remember much weight being placed on final metascore last generation. Sure it was there but there wasn't any of this prediction nonsense (at least no where near like it is now).

Gaf might have agreed or disagreed with the trend of reviews, but many seem almost reliant on them to make a decision now.

p3tran

Banned
And more to come...
crackdown is a given, it will be the first next gen open world game, cloud included etc.
BUT
I have a feeling (not really a feeling, just reading comprehension of that kampfel dude :D )
that ms is gonna drop an open world, next gen banjo next year too.

What on metacritic? Looks like plenty of sites are missing on there for one.

Neogafs sudden obsession with metacritic scores is so bizarre. I liked the "fuck the numbers" movement so much better...

you know numbers game is always up.
pretty sure that at the end of the week a couple of reviews will sneak in that grade the game like 4 or 5. it wont be the first time I'd be noticing that.

now, although I agree 100% with "fuck the numbers" thing, we must agree that for someone who is out of the loop, the aggregate numbers are useful.

so, bottom line, its all in the game ;)

Daigoro

OQZATLb.gif

ha. awesome.

so jstevenson. how does one get their hands on that blue SO t-shirt the guy was wearing in that Sunset TV episode?

i wants it.

Xando

Great reviews!

Still on the fence if i should buy a XB1 for it (Its the only exclusive interesting for me).

I had no interest in this game before the reviews started coming in. If it's the system seller the reviews are saying it is then I have to buy it since I already own the system.

I really hope it sells well, Insomniac.

Boom, the reviews are great.
Take that people who were doubting the game.

Edit: Also VG.com 6/10 does not surprise me after the terrible preview.

Edit 2:
Some more reviews...
Joystiq: 100
Destructoid: 85
Gamesradar: 80

Congratulations, Insomniac.

Can't wait to see fellow NeoGAFfer's impressions.

One of those games you need to stick with. The first hour or so can feel like a slog since you'll be getting a feel for the mechanics, going through tutorials and unlocking the funner weapons.

Once you've done all of that it's a blast to play. I've become addicted to doing the various Traversal challenges on the map. Plus the customisation options go pretty deep. Amps as well as Overdrives etc.

Some people might be put off by the quest variety, but the boss battles are fun and they've NAILED to gameplay.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
While there is nothing Microsoft could ever announce I'd be more happy about than Banjo-Threeie, I doubt this fits the bill, because Banjo typically is not open world, but "half-open worlds", as in it has confined worlds that have a natural progression through thoughtfully placed collectibles. Making Banjo really open world wouldn't be a good idea imo, because it would make the design less dense, the flow of the game less fluid. Anyway, as someone who does not have a good opinion of Insomniac, I do think that SO looks like the best XB1-exclusive game this year for me (besides Project Spark, in case Conker gets released this year).

One of those games you need to stick with. The first hour or so can feel like a slog since you'll be getting a feel for the mechanics, going through tutorials and unlocking the funner weapons.

Once you've done all of that it's a blast to play. I've become addicted to doing the various Traversal challenges on the map. Plus the customisation options go pretty deep. Amps as well as Overdrives etc.

Some people might be put off by the quest variety, but the boss battles are fun and they've NAILED to gameplay.

That
boat
mission described in the Kotaku review sounds absolutely amazing.

Really pleased this got good reviews.

As opposed to what seems like a large part of the gaming community, I was one of those that really bought into the original vision of the One. Maybe I'd felt like I was getting older and needed a focus on wider multi-media to justify getting an expensive console.

However, this game reminds me why I got into gaming in the first place. Irreverent, fast, escapist, funny and colourful. All the things that games risk moving away from in the stampede towards photo-realism.

I'll be picking this one up, for sure.

This actually reviewed way better than I was expecting. (Disclaimer: I love ratchet and clank)

Would really love to try this out, and is kind of tempting me to get an xbox one.... but still can't really justify the cost right now :(

HamSandwich

Just watched the Gametrailers review. Seemed pretty honest. Even though they were more on the negative side compared to the other reviews listed, it still seems like the game is a ton of fun.

-Stranger-

Happy Xbone owner here, got it at launch and have been very happy with it.

So many great exclusives

Forza Motorsport 5
Ryse (well it's a console exclusive still, MS owns windows)
Dead Rising 3 (ditto)
Titanfall
Forza Horizon 2
Sunset Overdrive
Master Chief Collections
Ori
Multiplat titles (Don't care about 1080p really, 900p looks fine)

Next year we have

Quantam Break
Halo 5: Guardians
Fable Legends
Plus more stuff announced at E3

I don't get the people saying they can't justify buying an XB1 for just one game, there is heaps of quality stuff on it you can't play on PS4.

Would really love to try this out, and is kind of tempting me to get an xbox one.... but still can't really justify the cost right now :(
I can understand. I would have not been able to justify if I have had not 300 in cash.
It was easy for me to convince myself to withdraw 100 bucks. Mostly this and FH2 are my collection.

To -Stranger-, I think more for multiplats. I am waiting for Disgaea 5 and Persona 5 (PS4 version > PS3)

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Nice, glad to see it's getting good reviews. Let's hope for Insomniac it translates to similar sales, they need and deserve it.

Saganator

I probably won't play this game for a while, if ever, but I'm glad to hear the game is pretty solid. Good games makes the industry stronger. Good job Insomniac!

Majine

Banned
"The self-aware banter is woven so casually into the script that it works a lot better than it should, and once the hero starts complaining about NeoGAF tearing the game apart, you know you're in a world crafted by people who love games maybe a bit too much."
-Jim Sterling

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
WHAT??!!! Glad to see such great scores, but I'm surprised. I'm guessing either the walkthroughs I've been watching haven't been showing me everything, or these guys all found the gameplay a lot more interesting than I did.

Good grief, now I'm thinking of trudging back to the Microsoft Store to switch my preorder back to SO lol

Which game is more likely to go on sale over the holidays? This or GTA V??

Top Bottom