• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

what's the difference between "I'm glad the game is reviewing nicely" and "Even if i don't own an Xbone (and i never willl) i'm glad the game is reviewing nicely"

what do people achieve adding that specific part?

Is it really that big of a deal? It's not like they're trashing the game

Metacritic of 82 so far - I hope this is another sign of a review consensus suggesting a game can be excellent without having to average 90+. That has been rare and reserved for sure fire classics. I think Bayonetta 2 is the only high profile console game that isn't a re-release / remaster achieving that this year, which is much healthier than "heavily hyped game = 90+".

prudislav

czech review are not that good so far
Zing.cz 8/10
hrej.cz 3/5
Eurogamer CZ 6/10

all mentioning same problem with wierdly implemented MP and too samey and stereotype SP missions

i don't anyone considers it a big deal. we were just explaining why we thought it was funny.

look, it's the only thing we have to get us through the next 19 hours.

I know, I'm just saying man these threads usually turn into bickering back and forth and those comments are actually very tame by comparison.

I was so hyped after E3 about this game, then the hype dissipated, now it's back up there haha. I hope I enjoy the heck out of it when I pick it up. Never bought a game digitally on the Xbox One, do the games unlock at midnight eastern?

Gurish

Metacritic of 82 so far - I hope this is another sign of a review consensus suggesting a game can be excellent without having to average 90+. That has been rare and reserved for sure fire classics (Isn't Bayonetta 2 the highest profile console game that isn't a re-release achieving that this year?).

Yup, standards are a little different, 82 is now considered a really great title, Bayonnetta 2 is considered to be one if not the best games in its genres so a 90+ MC is justified, SO seems to be a great open world game but not too ground breaking and 80+ fits it well.

Suddenly average scores make more sense than they used to.

in this brazen new digital age, the 24-hour-to-go embargo is genius if you've got faith in your game.

You get months of back and forth, of fretting, and man, if you've got an exclusive? you can add another 200 degrees to that hotplate because, baby, you got a stew goin!

Now, it's just a day until unlock and you've got waves of people who have just been waiting for a reason to pull the trigger and there it is: Great reviews.

I'd love to be able to see how many digital pre-orders got made in the final 24 hours before launch.

weekev

Banned
Like so many of the relatively few, I was genuinely invested in seeing this game fail to be a failure and so I find myself greatly displeased not even in the least measure by this game's utter failure to not attain critical success.

Under no circumstances should the non-absence of accolades not be visited upon this game's developers.
I guess you are a glass isnt even close to not being unempty kind of guy.

I know, I'm just saying man these threads usually turn into bickering back and forth and those comments are actually very tame by comparison.

I was so hyped after E3 about this game, then the hype dissipated, now it's back up there haha. I hope I enjoy the heck out of it when I pick it up. Never bought a game digitally on the Xbox One, do the games unlock at midnight eastern?

This one does. So far only Destiny didn't, but anything's possible in the future. It's kinda game by game.

dejay

Banned
Excellent - glad everything seems to have gone swimmingly on that front.

I'd also like to point out that I preloaded before it was cool.

Nice!

Great to see Insomniac back on track and making games full of life and personality, after the disaster that was FUSE.

Also good for Microsoft to have a critically-acclaimed exclusive this holiday season. Not like Sunset Overdrive is going to turn things around for them, but every bullet in the clip helps.

what's the difference between "I'm glad the game is reviewing nicely" and "Even if i don't own an Xbone (and i never willl) i'm glad the game is reviewing nicely"

what do people achieve adding that specific part?
I remember when Titanfall was releasing and people would discuss how awesome it looked and there were many people who would say things like, "titanfall is awesome I can't wait to pick it up.
On PC of course.
." Its weird to praise an XB1 exclusive with a subtle bashing of the XB1 at the same time.

Excellent - glad everything seems to have gone swimmingly on that front.

I'd also like to point out that I preloaded before it was cool.

lol me too!

the vindication, man, i should go find my posts directly after the first trailer. i called it all the way back then.

xanHw4O.jpg

BOOM, BABY

Facism

just goes to show what diamonds Insomniac can push out when left to do their own thing. Congrats, Insomniac :)

AHindD

I remember when Titanfall was releasing and people would discuss how awesome it looked and there were many people who would say things like, "titanfall is awesome I can't wait to pick it up.
On PC of course.
." Its weird to praise an XB1 exclusive with a subtle bashing of the XB1 at the same time.

Thats because Titanfall ISN'T an Xbox 1 exclusive.

saud264

Neo Member
My first impression abut the game was not good but after i unlocked a lot of weapons, item and amps The game turned into epic game.

You will enjoy playing the main and side quest.

And i want to say last thing, after playing sunset overdrive i think insomniac games is the best developer for creating crazy and unique weapons.

GRaider81

Wasn't going to bother with this even though I bought an xbox to be an exclusive machine to compliment the PS4.

Think I'll give it a shot though. Does anyone know off hand the prices on each regions store?

Yup, standards are a little different, 82 is now considered a really great title, Bayonnetta 2 is considered to be one if not the best games in its genres so a 90+ MC is justified, SO seems to be a great open world game but not too ground breaking and 80+ fits it well.

Suddenly average scores make more sense than they used to.
If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense when you compare it to reviews of other media. Look at movies... a 70%+ on Rotten is a great score. Shit I've watched and enjoyed a ton of movies at a quarter of that. Actually maybe not a quarter because that would be like 16% :lol but half that definitely. This is how review scores should be, not the inflated garbage of the past. It also gives us a more precise view of the scores because the range is bigger. I hope this sticks around for the whole gen.

Mdk7

Jim Sterling shouldn't have said that thing, i mean COME ON.
Why the fuck would you ruin the surprise for other people?
I really don't get this kind of thing.

Delighted for Insomniac. This has been my most anticipated game since I played it back in June, it's been a real long wait for it to come out.

p3tran

Banned
now you know why I've been so confident in the SO threads.

I love this game. It's one of the best games we've ever made.

excited for everyone to get to play it!
hmmm... to tell you the truth, you did not come across as ....SOOOOOO confident.
you should try some courage/bravery seminars :D

anyway, its better this way for the consumer, so you did pretty good! :)

my congrats to you, and be sure to pass some 'grats & beer to the team! especially to that Ted dude too. :D

eventhough I havent played the game yet, I spend a good amount of time yesterday ..investigating it. pretty sure it would score well after what I saw.
more interestingly (for me), looks like a game I will have fun playing. 8)

This is the first Xbox One title I've been truly excited for. Cannot wait to pick it up this week!

cannot wait to read your extreme nitpicks

:)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I felt like reviews for this could've gone all over the place so this is nice to see. Looks like i'll open up my gamestop money vault from the summer for this again even though I'll be preoccupied with bayonetta.

Dunkers92

Great to see Sunset getting good reviews. Congrats to Insomniac. Hopefully sales will meet their expectations

Picking up the White Xbox One bundle for it. Really looking forward to Friday

Mdk7

My first impression abut the game was not good but after i unlocked a lot of weapons, item and amps The game turned into epic game.

You will enjoy playing the main and side quest.

And i want to say last thing, after playing sunset overdrive i think insomniac games is the best developer for creating crazy and unique weapons.

Same here, i was a bit skeptical at first, not really feeling the controls.
Once you get all your powers and some other weapons, when you really learn how to play and do sick traversal stuff, the game opens up and becomes something else.
You look at the enviroment in a different way, you explore Sunset City on a whole new level, you start doing some really uber crazy (and fun!) shit.

It's just too bad that the game is really really easy IMHO (even more considering there is no real penalty when you die... and i died like 5/6 times in 12 hours), and i wished there were more boss fights (since the ones that are there are super cool).
Also, weird and very questionable choices in sound design, with the game suddenly going completely silent while in the menus.

p3tran

Banned
It's hilarious to think that Microsoft of all publishers shipped two open world games—Sunset and Horizon 2—this year.

well, ubisoft shipped/will ship ..three?
(watch doge/fc/ac)
numbers dont say much when horizon -for my tastes- beats all three of them easily.

Top Bottom