• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

ironcreed

Banned
Actually, I think that sentence makes perfect sense. I've played plenty of games that felt like they were made because of marketing or consumer trends or because it was a sequel so it HAD to be made or whatever other reason. Sunset absolutely feels like a game that the team legitimately wanted to make.

Also, the tweet about the humor being like a bakery or whatever it was is nonsense.

Precisely. I mean, they even said that this is the kind of game that they have been wanting to make for over a decade now. I think it very much shows and am confident that it will show even more once I am swimming in the deep end of it with loads of abilities and insane weapons.

Not just that, the website itself looks about as homemade as it comes. It still makes me laugh.

edit: This is from the website
reviewintime.png

Depeche Mode t-shirt. Word.

It is satire and parody.

Something many people either don't get, or don't understand. It's why you see comments like "trying too hard to be funny"...when that's the entire point of that type of comedy/writing/design.
I disagree. There is camp that does it well, and funny. Then there is trying way too fucking hard to be funny which makes it more desperate than funny. I do think the SO might rub me the right way.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Has anybody talked with the people at biogamergirl? I'm interested if they know what has happened and that they are now the new talk of the town.

While I was visiting the site to get that image I noticed they have an actual forum, more people should hang out there.

H4r4kiri

Don't get me wrong here, I love Insmoniac. I loves Resistance and R&C and I really like their games.

But I think these written Reviews or better Scores just show how Numbers are bad for reviews. I love the art style of the game and all the weapons look very very fun, but does a good artstyle make the game score higher ? I dont think so. If you read the reviews and especially Kotaku they just rip the humor apart and the alot of reviews talk how repetitive or boring the Mission Design is. Infamous, Destiny, Driveclub, Watch Dogs, got ripped,because of that, but here it is okay, because the World is bright and the art direction " Creative "? That doesn't make any sense to me.
I dont want to judge the game, but I feel like Reviewers dont treat the games the same way, just because they look different. When the game becomes boring after 10 hours and the Mission Design is Bad and repetitive than , for me at least, this game doesn't deserve a score higher than 8, just because it is colorful or has cool weapons that look weird.

The Problem is how we compare games. A number cant represent the joy of the game and when I say would give a game an 8, I put it in context to other games. But I think numbers have to go away. They are not comparable at all and this is what ticks me off.

I am glad for Insomniac for the high scores, but the texts of the reviews don't represent that for me.

Ont

These games should be released same time globally. Sucks to wait until Friday to play this here in the UK. I think internet has already made any regional restrictions obsolete.

Not just that, the website itself looks about as homemade as it comes. It still makes me laugh.

reviewintime.png

The fact Activision scrapped that low was just too funny.

Oh boy. Now you made me go there just to see WTF that website is all about. I left so confused.

Found this bizarre nugget.

BioGamer Girl's annual beauty pageant combines all of the fandoms of the geek universe to find the perfect role model each year to serve as the voice for the community of BioGamer Girl fans everywhere.

http://www.biogamergirl.com/p/beauty.html

Also, what the fuck is a BioGamer?

ironcreed

Banned
I disagree. There is camp that does it well, and funny. Then there is trying way too fucking hard to be funny which makes it more desperate than funny. I do think the SO might rub me the right way.

Yeah, I am not going into a game like this with the mindset of taking it seriously. It knows it's a game and throws that in your face with some cheese and I am fine with that. As it's obvious that the game is absolutely fucking bonkers and simply does not give a shit. No way can I be a snob and cringe at that, no matter how corny some of it may be. As kicking back without a care and having a blast zipping and bouncing around a vivid apocalypse is what it is going to be all about. The story will merely serve as a backdrop.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Pretty good reviews, congrats to the team!

Can't wait to play this tonight.

Feels like this could be my Crackdown of this gen (at least before Crackdown 3 eventually arrives).

Great to see a big budget game bursting with colour, fun and attitude (dem Dreamcast vibes!) - can't wait to get playing :)

So uh, is this getting a midnight release? Anyone know if their store is? I can't call mine because well I dont know why. Been trying all day. Phone is always busy. Think something is up. I heard they only do it if it gets a certain amount of preorders.

Sullichin

This game looks like so much fun but I really can't stand its sense of humor from what I've seen. Maybe it's not as bad as it seems. It's a really thin line between being self aware and doing it well and being self aware and being awful.

sora87

reviewintime.png

The fact Activision scrapped that low was just too funny.

Kinda reminds me of Bits, a show that was on channel 4 in the UK years ago with 3 girls presenting.

EGM1966

Sounds like a return to form - good for them. They really seemed to lose their way last gen cumulating in Fuse so nice to see.

Man the lack of challenge just sounds disappointing.

I wonder if insomniac could add a harder difficulty level in an update.

Crackdown wasn't tough but you at least had to think a little.

mollipen

When the game becomes boring after 10 hours and the Mission Design is Bad and repetitive than , for me at least, this game doesn't deserve a score higher than 8, just because it is colorful or has cool weapons that look weird.

The game didn't become boring for me after 10 hours nor did the repetitive nature of the mission design ever really bother me, due to how much fun I was having overall. So... there you go.

Man the lack of challenge just sounds disappointing.

I wonder if insomniac could add a harder difficulty level in an update.

The game has a bunch of challenges in it plus the MP is supposed to be pretty difficult. That should help for people that want to test their skills in the game. A difficulty slider would be a nice addition, though.

The game has a bunch of challenges in it plus the MP is supposed to be pretty difficult. That should help for people that want to test their skills in the game. A difficulty slider would be a nice addition, though.
After playing Smash Bros., I wish more games would have a difficulty slider.

On the hardest difficulty Crackdown could be downright merciless. Snipers and homing rockets would take you out the moment you jumped between rooftops - and then keep rag-dolling your destroyed ass while you plummeted all the way down to the street.

Does this game not have difficulty levels? Or is the complaint that the hardest difficulty level isn't actually hard?

Lol, what?
Nathan Fillion -> Buck in Halo ODST -> Buck in Halo Reach Firefight

From the about us:

"BioGamer Girl was founded on the power of women and family. BGG continues this mission with our annual beauty pageant. BioGamer Girl although renowned for their expertise in the gaming field have turned their knowledge on gaming, entertainment and beautiful women into an annual event to find the country's most talented gamer girl who has the honor of becoming the next Ms. BioGamer Girl".

...ok

BGGLogo2.png

From the about us:

"BioGamer Girl was founded on the power of women and family. BGG continues this mission with our annual beauty pageant. BioGamer Girl although renowned for their expertise in the gaming field have turned their knowledge on gaming, entertainment and beautiful women into an annual event to find the country's most talented gamer girl who has the honor of becoming the next Ms. BioGamer Girl".

...ok

LOL

H4r4kiri

The game didn't become boring for me after 10 hours nor did the repetitive nature of the mission design ever really bother me, due to how much fun I was having overall. So... there you go.

I cant judge it ,because I don't own the game. I was just going after a lot of reviews and previews.

How did you like Infamous or Destiny in that regard ? I love infamous by the way and I really think that Sunset Overdrive could be big fun

Top Bottom