• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

shandy706

XwY9BGD.png

black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

thfl.gif

Well I have now played it for 45 mins and it's exactly what you expect from the reviews and the videos... I had one brief moment of pure "click" on the controls and can see what people mean about getting reallllly smooth linked traversal.

Oh and Miles if you want this, PM me a postal address... 😄

4rlNS5L.jpg

I'll even send it to ya the right way up

Well I have now played it for 45 mins and it's exactly what you expect from the reviews and the videos... I had one brief moment of pure "click" on the controls and can see what people mean about getting reallllly smooth linked traversal.

4rlNS5L.jpg

You should just email him a screenshot.

Reading some of these reviews...the numbers don't seem to match the content, lol. Like the Eurogamer review

-"humor" that is on par with outdated Zucker bros references("There's a bowling ball gun called The Dude! GET IT!? THE BIG LEBOWSKI! lulz amirite")
-Repetitive mission design(go here, shoot that, go to this other place, shoot that thing too)
-Combat that requires little skill at all, just aim in the general direction and the auto-targeting does it for you, weapons aren't particularly interesting
-Traversal that requires slightly more skill to stay off the ground
-Boring upgrade system
-8/10

GrayFoxPL

Does this game not have difficulty levels? Or is the complaint that the hardest difficulty level isn't actually hard?

It doesn't have.

Gametrailers say the main game is very easy, it's almost impossible to die and end boss is weak ass. Only harder challenge is in separate bonus mode.

For this one gaffer called them "fucking idiots".

mollipen

I cant judge it ,because I don't own the game. I was just going after a lot of reviews and previews.

How did you like Infamous or Destiny in that regard ? I love infamous by the way and I really think that Sunset Overdrive could be big fun

The closest comparison I can make given what I've played is that it feels like Saints Row IV meets Jet Set Radio. If you easily get bored in a game like SRIV, you'll probably be bored here as well. If all of the other aspects of the game hook you on the world and keep you interested the entire time, you'll have fun here as well.

shandy706

4rlNS5L.jpg

Woah..where do I get one?!

neurophd

It doesn't have.

Gametrailers say the main game is very easy, it's almost impossible to die and end boss is weak ass. Only harder challenge is in separate bonus mode.

Did they account for leaderboards for missions/challenges as an option for increasing difficulty?

derFeef

Reading some of these reviews...the numbers don't seem to match the content, lol. Like the Eurogamer review

-"humor" that is on par with outdated Zucker bros references("There's a bowling ball gun called The Dude! GET IT!? THE BIG LEBOWSKI! lulz amirite")
-Repetitive mission design(go here, shoot that, go to this other place, shoot that thing too)
-Combat that requires little skill at all, just aim in the general direction and the auto-targeting does it for you, weapons aren't particularly interesting
-Boring upgrade system
-8/10

Also works with the positive things.

It doesn't have.

Insomniac reads GAF (Hi, jstevenson!), I'm quite sure they could easily patch in multiple difficulty levels if the broad consensus among players is that the game is too easy. Just increase enemy damage and/or decrease player health.

b...b...but I thought there was no such thing as console warz and everyone rationally evaluated the game consoles and their available offerings in a completely non-biased and objective manner?!?!?

Wait, who the hell am I kidding. No place on the internet is safe from the warz!

JeffG

-Boring upgrade system
-8/10

Sometime the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Many games can be picked apart on little details

Kinyou

Nice to see that it turned out relatively good, but honestly with all the other stuff coming out in november I think I'll wait some months.

Kssio_Aug

It doesn't have.

This "almost impossible to die" doesnt sounds like an honest opinion about it based on all those streams that we could see, where people actually died several times in 1-2 hours of gameplay.

I could understand that there may be no penalties for dying. But, I repeat, from what I saw it doesnt looks like its that hard to get killed by the enemies (they seems to low your health bar pretty fast).

Wowwww these reviews are good. Very tempted to pick up an Xbox One just play it , I know I'll hold off until there are a couple more "must haves" but it seems like Insomniac really have delivered. I hope the GAFfers who buy it enjoy it and find it to be as good as the reviews state that it is.

El Sabroso

Good thing is doing well on reviews, finally a good reason to play with my XB1 pad, was using only my arcade stick for Killer Instinct :p

Top Bottom