• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Maker |OT| Miyamoto Simulator 2015

Chopper

Played it, found it decent, I like that kind of puzzles so I wished it was longer :p Standing by itself it's kinda of short though, but if it appears in the 100 mario challenge, it will work well as a "break" from levels with 349 000 enemies.
Thanks man. Maybe I'll expand upon the idea and make a proper level out of it when I get time. Glad you enjoyed it though.

JoeM86

Just made what probably is a basic level to screw with my brother. Premise is "What if Mario has a bad trip from his Mushrooms instead of becoming Super Mario?". Challenge comes from making jumps while things are screwing with your perceptions.

Hallucinogenic - CB98-0000-006B-705A

WVW69ibByBoA9XdKBA

KooopaKid

Banned
How come I haven't seen a single good Japan-made SMM level? The majority of them are automatic stuff. The state of Japanese game design...lol j/k

zhixson

If this is a no-no then I apologize, but I wanted to re-submit my level for people to check out because I feel as though it was instantly lost in the shuffle when I first posted it.

I tried making a level that emulates Mario Bros, It's a little heavy handed, but I think it gets the job done for the time I had to make it. I suppose my real fear is that the ending won't be 100% clear. Hopefully it is.

Mario Bros.
F85F-0000-0063-4D80

WVW69iakfn4lKQD2jT

If this has been done before, then, uh, this is just my take on it. =)

I am still weirded out by Japanese levels that are NSMB castle levels. There are so many of them. I don't just mean the final castle level of 100 Challenge, they're even cropping up often before that. Why?

Are some of their regional top rated levels like that and these people are trying to mimic it?

Did a popular blog site over there tell people to make castle levels to increase their exposure, since the end of the challenge is always a castle?

cyba89

Made a new level. This time it's a NSMB Bowser castle. It's probably quite challenging.

Grow Home
643A-0000-006B-8C8D
WVW69ibCNokNWXOsTC

Run, jump and climb your way through Bowsers dangerous castle. Different challenges are awaiting.

You can also try out my older levels if you haven't yet. Feedback is very appreciated!
http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/cyba89

I'm also excited to try out the Group 2 1-1s later today.

Skyzard

Banned
Saw it came with an artbook for £37 so I couldn't resist.

I was sort of thinking of just waiting for the next one (hopefully) because I wanted handheld integration but really...the gamepad does that well enough - I have phone and vita for outside, gamepad works well for in-doors handheld with my setup.

Wish you could save more than 10 levels as my connection was being spotty but think I got it sorted now.

Fun game, obviously.

Will try making my own first then playing some gaffer levels.

KDR_11k

People really hate autoscrollers, eh? My Airship Factory (1A31-0000-005D-C3B2) level has a 0/6 clear rate with 4 players (i.e. everybody quit after 1-2 deaths, if even that), regular levels see way more attempts before people skip. Is that everybody's experience or does my level seem trolly for some reason?

correojon

People really hate autoscrollers, eh? My Airship Factory (1A31-0000-005D-C3B2) level has a 0/6 clear rate with 4 players (i.e. everybody quit after 1-2 deaths, if even that), regular levels see way more attempts before people skip. Is that everybody's experience or does my level seem trolly for some reason?
I'll review it if you first post a review of a level from a different gaffer ;)

MakerGAF, I propose we start following this approach so that everyone can get a review of their levels and this is OT stops being 90% self promotion.

Dad

I'd imagine it probably has something to do with the lack of checkpoints and having to start from the beginning. Autoscrollers can be feel really slow and tedious, particularly if you died near the end of one.

Nia

I'm going back and making adjustments to my 2nd stage as per the feedback I've received. I'm also doing a complete overhaul of the last section. Rather ashamed it was not up to par with my 1st one, but really I don't think Airship levels are my thing. This whole stage was experimental. I will not be doing an Airship stage again after the next one.

I think I made a level that was too hard. It took me over an hour just to beat my own level and it's not even that long. It requires patience and timing, but in the very beginning it looks like the level can't even be beaten because you are boxed in with spike blocks. But since it's a water level, you can swim under the map underneath the spike and a lot of people can't figure that out =x

Part 3 of my Yoshi Ghost House Quest is now out!

Feed Your Horse

As you and your dinohorse friend venture deeper into the mansion, make sure you don't find yourself lost inside the maze-like puzzle rooms. Albeit rude, make sure to have your horse eat things through the walls!

If you haven't already, make sure to check out the rest of the series here:
http://www.mariomakerhub.com/makers/TyrantGuardian

The levels are not particularly hard but will have you perplexed if you aren't familiar with certain SMW mechanics. Still, they provide a chance to learn these without too much risk as there are no bottomless pits or ridiculous enemy placements. Look forward to the fourth and final part!

Seen on reddit...

Nintendo is in the process of doing a Mario Maker world tour of sorts, inviting youtubers around the world to make levels, which Tezuka and other Nintendo developers will then play.

So you're given this honor. You get to make a level to be played by one of the co-creators of Nintendo's most classic games. What do you do?

Make the worst, most assholish troll level you possibly can, apparently.

Italian, where the first jump requires pinpoint accuracy to avoid death, and multiple places where you are required to take a hit as big Mario to proceed

Portuguese, complete with Kaizo block on the first jump and deathtrap doors

Tezuka gives these levels like 3 or 4 lives before he passes the controller on, and from what I can see Nintendo has to call in their star players just to complete them.

tY7sq9Q.png

Poor Tezuka.

MakerGAF, I propose we start following this approach so that everyone can get a review of their levels and this is OT stops being 90% self promotion.

Its a pretty impossible thing to enforce. Some days I give tons of feedback. Some days I just want lots of feedback. I don't feel its malicious on anyone's part. I think we just have to accept that without a good search feature we are going to have a lot of self promotion. If you didnt need to put in 16 digit long codes this wouldn't be an issue.

Seen on reddit...

Nintendo is in the process of doing a Mario Maker world tour of sorts, inviting youtubers around the world to make levels, which Tezuka and other Nintendo developers will then play.

So you're given this honor. You get to make a level to be played by one of the co-creators of Nintendo's most classic games. What do you do?

Make the worst, most assholish troll level you possibly can, apparently.

Italian, where the first jump requires pinpoint accuracy to avoid death, and multiple places where you are required to take a hit as big Mario to proceed

Portuguese, complete with Kaizo block on the first jump and deathtrap doors

Tezuka gives these levels like 3 or 4 lives before he passes the controller on, and from what I can see Nintendo has to call in their star players just to complete them.

tY7sq9Q.png

Poor Tezuka.

Do these types of levels get stars? They're just so shitty.

correojon

Its a pretty impossible thing to enforce. Some days I give tons of feedback. Some days I just want lots of feedback. I don't feel its malicious on anyone's part. I think we just have to accept that without a good search feature we are going to have a lot of self promotion. If you didnt need to put in 16 digit long codes this wouldn't be an issue.
Yeah, but there are people who sometimes posts their levels and sometimes reviews them. There are other people who just spam this thread with their levels and there are one time passersby who just post their level. If we tried to follow this approach maybe we could bring some guys to jump from regular spammers to also reviewers. The passersby are a lost cause I fear.

We don't loose anything for trying and we have much to gain.

Yeah, but there are people who sometimes posts their levels and sometimes reviews them. There are other people who just spam this thread with their levels and there are one time passersby who just post their level. If we tried to follow this approach maybe we could bring some guys to jump from regular spammers to also reviewers. The passersby are a lost cause I fear.

I usually leave feedback via miiverse comments after playing someone's level rather than posting in this thread. I figure its somewhat easy to miss comments here in a thread that is moving relatively fast.

How do you enforce something like that? I find we are just better off going how we are now. We all have the ability to play whatever we wanna play. You don't have to play the level of someone who spams. Nor should giving feedback enable you to have your level played just because. I have played some 100 or so gaf levels and given feedback to a handful. It's my choice, it shouldn't be some trigger to make people play my shit if they do not wish to.

Neoweee

I usually leave feedback via miiverse comments after playing someone's level rather than posting in this thread. I figure its somewhat easy to miss comments here in a thread that is moving relatively fast.

Yeah, digging through this thread for feedback sucks. Comments are better.

First conveyor belt is too easy to go flying off but really solid work otherwise. The chomp finale is easy to miss but feels great when it comes together. Lots going on here but it feels cohesive. A bit tough but balanced enough that everyone should keep coming back. Recommended.

Thanks for playing. For clarification, when you say that the Chain Chomp finale is easy to miss, do you mean that it's too easy to take the alternate route, or that the Chomp didn't always spawn? Both of these were lingering concerns when I published, though in the latter case, I thought the timing for running off screen quickly enough to avoid the spawn was enough of an edge case that I didn't mind rewarding good players for it. The end of the level does feel pretty blank when that happens, though.

correojon

How do you enforce something like that? I find we are just better off going how we are now. We all have the ability to play whatever we wanna play. You don't have to play the level of someone who spams. Nor should giving feedback enable you to have your level played just because. I have played some 100 or so gaf levels and given feedback to a handful. It's my choice, it shouldn't be some trigger to make people play my shit if they do not wish to.
It's not about getting people to play your level, but about getting useful feedback and improving as a designer, helping each other and all that.

As it is we have the OT we deserve but not the one we need ;)

Naar

I have time to roughly play 4-5 levels and give feedback on.

any difficulty is fine (just no troll shit)

also i just finished my latest level

Spinning Madness 2

2155-0000-006B-D431

let me know what you think and i can give feedback on 4-5 levels in about 1 hour from now (need time to play them and eat :p)

one_kill

Just thought I'd post my new level again

Becoming Little Mac:
0BF4-0000-006A-1AE4
You start off as Mario who, after a series of training sessions and bouts, becomes Little Mac. As Little Mac, you have to defend your title.

Thanks to those that played it!

Click in the sticks, I believe the Left Stick is for left-handed images, the Right Stick for right.

Actually, the left/right handedness is based on which stick you use to scroll the screen! If you use the right stick, they assume you are using the stylus in your left hand, etc. It changes on the fly if you use both sticks.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Solid airship level, not overly hard and very fair. Also liked the tank and ship designs, though what was the point of the falling u blocks at the end of every vehicle? Also the bonus area or secret area didn't really fit the rest of the map, otherwise I liked it

The donut blocks were basically just a way to give a bit more of a running-start for people to jump from ship to ship, but not encourage loitering around. Also they're there just for a bit of thematic consistency between each ship visually.

ALSO the one at the very end of the stage past the pipe is actually a shortcut directly to the goal. :eek:

The area in/past the pipe yeah, I kind of started having another idea there. It was originally underwater in the pipe, it was gonna be the waste disposal for the last ship, and you blow your way out of the dump at the end. The idea wasn't translating super well, but I wanted something in there other than the usual bower jr fight, something vaguely puzzley without much opportunity for dying after you made it through the rest of the level. I might do something more robust with that concept later on, a puzzle level about blowing up bobombs at the right spots.

RMI

Banned
watching those Youtube vs. creator levels was depressing as fuck.

I think this is a great idea. I've posted a few of my levels in this thread and have played a few levels from other players but haven't provided any feedback. I have more levels to post this weekend but when I do so I will also post a critique or comment on some levels from the thread.

There's no way to enforce this idea, obviously, but it doesn't mean the thread can't have the recommendation and that people shouldn't just try and do it on a sort of honor system. If the community is going to continue long-term, eventually the people who are just driving by will lose interest and it might be good if there were some healthy etiquette for posting already in place for the long term members.

devonodev

I made another hard level, while they do result in a few cheap deaths sometimes I do find them quite fun to make. And if you give it a try, invisible blocks are only used near the start and you'll quickly realize their layout, so don't be too put off by them. I tried to put in a few puzzle elements, as well as tough platforming. Definitely made for those who feel confident with their skills in NSMB engine.

Bowser the Boozer
51F7-0000-006B-A4B7

WVW69ibCk4QpnTpYOi

Going to checkout some of the contest levels when I get a chance.

KDR_11k

Spinning Madness 2

2155-0000-006B-D431

let me know what you think and i can give feedback on 4-5 levels in about 1 hour from now (need time to play them and eat :p)

Gotta say I'm not a fan. Most instances of spinning can be avoided with proper jumping but the two parts that annoyed me the most were 1. the para-beetle/spiny bridge because the spawn timing depends on how quickly you move forward, if you move incorrectly you end up with an unsurmountable gap, 2. the fireflower spam area because it's basically infinite damage boosting, that's just super messy because you're practically invincible (well, goesfor all areas with tons of powerups) and 3. the skull platforms on tracks spawn as single block wide platforms, I generally don't like single block platforms. Would non-tracked skull platforms (or regular moving platforms on the track) not work here?

I didn't finish it, got to the skull platform area once and generally failed at the spiny bridge.

KooopaKid

Banned
I have time to roughly play 4-5 levels and give feedback on.

any difficulty is fine (just no troll shit)

also i just finished my latest level

Spinning Madness 2

2155-0000-006B-D431

I'll post my new one in a couple of hours. I will comment on yours.

Schlomo

I agree it would be worth a try to make leaving feedback mandatory before you post your level. Like, allow posting of course IDs only if you include feedback for two others in the same post. If someone just posts their own course, ignore them.

KooopaKid

Banned
I agree it would be worth a try to make leaving feedback mandatory before you post your level. Like, allow posting of course IDs only if you include feedback for two others in the same post. If someone just posts their own course, ignore them.

It should be common politeness. We can't inforce it but hopefully it becomes more and more systematic.

Sephzilla

I'm all for this idea (and I'm honestly fully aware that I'm part of the problem with this)

cyba89

I wonder how long it'll take me to finish this level in one go, so I can finally upload it. Furthest I managed was the part with the falling blocks before the top of the flagpole.

I'm sorry, GAF. :p

Sephzilla

I wonder how long it'll take me to finish this level in one go, so I can finally upload it. Furthest I managed was the part with the falling blocks before the top of the flagpole.

I gotta be honest, after looking at that screenshot I wouldn't even try your level. That one jump when you're above the flagpole looks like a nightmare

Schlomo

It should be common politeness. We can't inforce it but hopefully it becomes more and more systematic.

Of course we can't force people, but if it was established as an informal thread rule (i.e. title change to Super Mario Maker |OT| Want Feedback? Give Feedback!), then most people would follow it, and people would give much more feedback than now, common politeness or not.

Sölf

Why would you do this to yourself?

Top Bottom