• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| RSVP: Guests of the Groom

Came home today after work super excited to pick up my package and play the hell out of this. Package has not yet arrived from Amazon...

IgMyx.gif

Cloud7

My shipment was delayed until Monday by Best Buy :(

I had this pre-ordered at the same time as my amiibo and I got those today. What the heccckkkkk

SRTtoZ

Came home today after work super excited to pick up my package and play the hell out of this. Package has not yet arrived from Amazon...

IgMyx.gif

Same. Just went for a walk and saw a mailman but wasn't sure if its my mailman for our apartment building :/

RIP

I tried the motion controls but after a couple of minutes I could tell I will get carpal tunnel if I use them. I mean, it's crazy that for every throw you have to flick your wrist if you use motion controls. That just screams carpal tunnel to me, and I sure felt that way after only a couple of minutes. There is no way I'm using motion controls on this game.
If these low intensity gestures are giving you issues either see a doctor or start making hand excercises. There are more common everyday actions that have higher chances to give you a carpal tunnel than playing Mario Odyssey with motion controls. Not to mention one wonders what type of reaction a person would get from entering any PC game thread to start talking about carpal tunnel concerns.

The gestures in the game are pretty natural, the hands don't contour or flex in any unnatural ways. On the contrary, in general the ergonomics of the Split Joycon setup are more relaxed than a normal two handed controller since they allow a variety of postures to opperate.

Have concerns about carpal or other any repetitive strain injuries? Dont play videogames with anything other than a Kinect. "Video game Thumb" was an issue since the early 80's.

Kurt

I'm taking my time to go from world to world. Gameplay is smooth. But its different from mario 64. Yet this with zelda my goty.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I just
fought Bowser
and it was awesome. Then I landed in
The Lost Kingdom
this game is great. Plus its beautiful!

Edit.
what do I do with the big metallic boxes? Or will it spoil me?

RPGCrazied

Got my switch today! Put on the glass screen protector, looks nice.

The mario case is cool, but I don't know what side its suppose to go in, and how the flap is suppose to lay on the screen.

Is the switch logo suppose to be on the top and mario hat on the bottom? Don't want to damage the screen.

Shifty

I'm hitting up the last third of the main content now and oh my god the
castlevania
kingdom.
I was hoping it would be a smallish exploratory kingdom rather than just a boss arena for the dragon, but still goddamn that art was awesome.
Totally didn't expect it and was wowed.

Loved the
gradual reveal that the odyssey is actually a balloon, not a sailship
over the course of the game, that was clever.

And damn
the moon kingdom
is super cool.
Low gravity moon physics with this game's awesome movement system?
Hell yeah.

Is it really 10 years since Super Mario Galaxy? Oh my. I still don't have a Switch. :(

19 since 64, 15 since Sunshine and 10 since Galaxy.

Commence feeling old.
The wait was worth it.

The octupus boss was by far the trickiest so far, lots of coordination required actually.

Yeah, lining up the stomp was pretty tricky what with all the moving about.

Stylo

I found a few shortcuts for people who don't want to use motion controls.

Spin + toss for the spin throw
Ground pound (hit the ground) + toss for the downward throw

Anyone find anything for the upward throw?

Ellite25

Man the motion control stuff is kind of annoying. Spinning your hat around you seems hit or miss. Also, is there no way to spin your hat around you if you’re playing with the joycons attaches to the screen in handheld mode?

JonnyKong

I would say my only complaint of the game so far is the fact that one of the (quite frankly amazing) post game kingdoms is revealed too early by going through a picture frame on seaside kingdom. They should have kept that as a surprise for after completing the game.

I would say my only complaint of the game so far is the fact that one of the (quite frankly amazing) post game kingdoms is revealed too early by going through a picture frame on seaside kingdom. They should have kept that as a surprise for after completing the game.

those picture frames sure do spoil things, if you can find them

finalflame

Already stuck on Cascade Kingdom trying to get the first power moon. Just can't figure out where to go past the Chain Chomp. Anyone able to help?

jmizzal

I throw my Cappy coin in the garbage I forgot it was in the bestbuy bag, I was in a rush to play.

Good thing I looked at my email and saw it in the purchases summery lol before too late

Shifty

Already stuck on Cascade Kingdom trying to get the first power moon. Just can't figure out where to go past the Chain Chomp. Anyone able to help?

The very first moon, in the rock?

The chomp is key, but it won't do what you want on its own.

Shifty

Ah, shit. I forgot you can throw your hat at things and do that. That helped!

Good good, haha :)

For what it's worth I forgot at that point as well, did a few laps of the available area before I figured it out because my brain was in Super Mario 64 mode.

Is anyone noticing a grid like effect on some areas and items in the game? Is this intentional?

Anything in particular? I've seen some textures with fancy geometric detailing, and sometimes the shadows are a bit jaggy, but nothing super consistent or noticeable.

JonnyKong

Is anyone noticing a grid like effect on some areas and items in the game? Is this intentional?

I have yes, I'm sure there is a technical term for it I'm not quite aware of, but it does seem random and strange. I just assumed it was the Switch trying to process complex things with limited ish hardware?

Caramello

Man the motion control stuff is kind of annoying. Spinning your hat around you seems hit or miss. Also, is there no way to spin your hat around you if you’re playing with the joycons attaches to the screen in handheld mode?

Never had a problem doing it with the Pro controller, I just give it a quick flick to the right and it works every time.

What in the hell...package updated as "Delivered" on Amazon so I go down to check with the front desk and they say nothing came. I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME. What the hell is this?! Does this happen? It doesn't give any info on who signed for the package, or where it was left. Is it possible they just logged as Delivered before actually delivering it...? The Amazon carrier sucks.

Assanova

What in the hell...package updated as "Delivered" on Amazon so I go down to check with the front desk and they say nothing came. I WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME. What the hell is this?! Does this happen? It doesn't give any info on who signed for the package, or where it was left. Is it possible they just logged as Delivered before actually delivering it...? The Amazon carrier sucks.

If you live in an apartment or rental complex, check with their office. They might have it if your package says delivered.

Social

Had the left joycon issue pop up during Overcooked a while ago and now again on Mario. He keeps running without any presses. Guess I'll try sending it in. Pro Controller works well though, not having any issues with it.

There is something I want to know. Is Luigi in this at all? Like in Super Mario Galaxy where you unlock him after beating the game.

SRTtoZ

Check your mailbox.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I finally got my Switch and Mario Odyssey and god damn I absolutely loving both the game and the console. People weren't kidding about Switch being Nintendo's new console and handheld at same time. Just thinking about playing SMT V both on big screen and handheld mode makes me so excited.

Sorry if this has been asked but am getting the feeling you are a bit handicapped if you play this game in portable mode as it seems you lose a fair few moves and stuff by not using the controllers on their own due to motion controls. Does this hamper much or make that much of a difference?

Top Bottom