• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| RSVP: Guests of the Groom

rhino4evr

So I know a lot of people have been harping that it’s not difficult enough. This is my daughters first 3d Mario and Getting through the 2nd world (sand city) has been a pretty decent challenge for her. She was so excited when she beat the boss after several attempts.
Even with “Easy” mode on.

So yeah it may not be hardcore challenging, but you have to remember this is a game for ALL ages.

It warms my heart that my daughter will “cut her teeth” on this game, which so far, seem so imaginative and exciting to play.

So for all those complaining. I would advise you to take a few steps back and remember what it was like to play a Mario game for the first time, and appreciate just how magical this game is, despite not having insanely difficult platforming for us veteran gamers .

I have only played for about 45 minutes but I really hate having to shake my Switch since I obviously don't play with controllers detached.

Yeah, it's really odd that they want you to play it portable, yet you can't play it properly that way. Other than that, it's great

Shifty

Just finished the main story and dived into the post-game. Holy smokes. You guys still going through it have some amazing stuff to look forward to.

That ending.
The wedding scene with the giant ring was hilarious, and capturing bowser for an escape sequence accompanied by an anime intro soundtrack was mwah. I did wonder if he was going to be the final capture target real close to the beginning of the game, and it looks like I was right!
Loved the final cutscene too. That 'pick me, pick me!' scene was amazing. Couldn't help but feel a little bit sorry for bowser when he got dunked on super hard at the end. Superbly funny.

And the post-game.
HNNNNNNG PEACH'S CASTLE AND MARIO WORLD APPLES AND YOSHI AND N64 MARIO COSTUME IT'S LIKE BEING A KID AGAIN.
This game is a true love letter to the series' history and a genuine successor to Mario 64. As someone who grew up with that game, this one might well dethrone Ninja Gaiden Black as my GOAT. So so good.

Also it's interesting how they saved the achievement system for the post-game. I quite like it, it stops the achievements from taking precedence over the actual game and encourages you to wander and explore rather than manage a checklist.

I have only played for about 45 minutes but I really hate having to shake my Switch since I obviously don't play with controllers detached.

Really weird design choice to make, I hope they address it in a patch.

494 replies to this OT vs. 2,110 on ResetEra's OT, both made by same OP.

Join the discussion over there peeps! Looking forward to all you coming over.

No ta, much more comfortable with the crew over here. Discussion is not a numbers game, and from the sound of it RE is hardly hurting for members.

Ponchito

What are those moon circles below the coin count? I took 4 moons in the Cascade Kingdom, but only 3 moons were displayed in that count. Instead if I go the map and then the list, all moons would show up.

Later, on another kingdom there’s are way more moon slots below the coin count. Don’t get this.

Also some moons are green and other yellow. Is this a kingdom thing or something else?

Ultimadrago

Could anyone tell me more about these
giant silver blocks
scattered about? If someone could tell me how to deal with them in spoilers. I just want to make sure there's not some story related thing I need to do.

Shifty

Could anyone tell me more about these
giant silver blocks
scattered about? If someone could tell me how to deal with them in spoilers. I just want to make sure there's not some story related thing I need to do.

You get access when
you hit the post-game.

Shifty

Much appreciated!

Happy to help!

What are those moon circles below the coin count? I took 4 moons in the Cascade Kingdom, but only 3 moons were displayed in that count. Instead if I go the map and then the list, all moons would show up.

Later, on another kingdom there's are way more moon slots below the coin count. Don't get this.

Also some moons are green and other yellow. Is this a kingdom thing or something else?

The dotted line circles represent how many additional moons you need to access the next kingdom. Filled moons represent how many you're carrying on you right now, and will reset whenever you take them to the odyssey.

The colours are different for each kingdom.

Assanova

-That feeling when you think that the Cascade kingdom is “small” because it only took twenty minutes to get “all” five moons to get to the next level.

-That feeling when you decide to go back just to see if you “might” have missed something, and see that you’ve completely overlooked nine more moons. Now you’ve explored “everywhere” and found them all.

-That feeling when you accidentally open the map and see that you’re still missing eleven more moons and you’re absolutely certain that you’ve looked everywhere and did everything.

-That feeling when you look at your stats for the next kingdom and see that it has over fifty+ moons...

Motion with pro controller

https://youtu.be/7tXv4xaTE
How come it is 2017 and people still spread missinformation about Motion controls? HE IS DOING THE GESTURE WRONG.

Is just a side to side motion like an spin attack in Skyward Sword and that worked fine back in 2011 with 2006 technology. He is flicking both wrists, when the correct gesture is just an horizontal motion with both hands side to side no need for rotation.

i mean you have people at high level play in ARMS using Thumbs Up grip and the author of the video thinks that gestures that worked fine back to the Wii days would have a problem these days?

Shifty

-That feeling when you think that the Cascade kingdom is “small” because it only took twenty minutes to get “all” five moons to get to the next level.

-That feeling when you decide to go back just to see if you “might” have missed something, and see that you’ve completely overlooked nine more moons. Now you’ve explored “everywhere” and found them all.

-That feeling when you accidentally open the map and see that you’re still missing eleven more moons and you’re absolutely certain that you’ve looked everywhere and did everything.

-That feeling when you look at your stats for the next kingdom and see that it has over fifty+ moons...

That feeling when HOW MANY MOONS IN TOTAL?!

source.gif

Ponchito

Happy to help!

The dotted line circles represent how many additional moons you need to access the next kingdom. Filled moons represent how many you're carrying on you right now, and will reset whenever you take them to the odyssey.

The colours are different for each kingdom.

Thanks! Very helpful!

Shifty

How come it is 2017 and people still spread missinformation about Motion controls? HE IS DOING THE GESTURE WRONG.

Is just a side to side motion like an spin attack in Skyward Sword and that worked fine back in 2011 with 2006 technology. He is flicking both wrists, when the correct gesture is just an horizontal motion with both hands side to side no need for rotation. The in game video is crystal clear about that.

Misinformation from small-time youtubers still seems pretty common to me. The group I play PUBG with regularly posts 'More FPS with these settings tweaks!' videos in our discord, and they inevitably either amount to nothing or actively make things worse.

Though to be fair while the video in game is fairly clear, the detection can be squirrely enough to make you second-guess yourself when you're still in the learning phase. It does help to properly figure it out before jumping straight to making a tutorial video though...

Thanks! Very helpful!
thumb-up-terminator_pablo_M_R.jpg

AESplusF

Between this and the Suda 51 game coming out I think it's time to buy a Switch. I've been watching gameplay on Twitch, looks gorgeous and fun.

yes yes yes!!!! this exactly!!!! man. i went back to cascade like "25 moons? this finna be a breeze". cleared a whole bunch. looked at the list and shit.....WHAT THE HELL COULD I BE MISSING??!?!?!? i love that feeling. add in the superb music and im hooked. that
Lost world
tho. im dying a lot.

Why am I being told to do motion controls for this spinning hat attack when I am using it in handheld mode. I don't want to take it apart.

ckaneo

Game is ridiculously easy. The onlyy complaint I've seen and I'm inclined to agree.

I dont understand why they put random stars that require no thought/platforming. At least in Zelda you wanted to expand your inventory. Here I guess they want to make it as easy as possible to power your ship? Meh, I would have put more challenge and just tied the worlds to the story moons

ckaneo

Why am I being told to do motion controls for this spinning hat attack when I am using it in handheld mode. I don't want to take it apart.

For the spinning rotate your analog stick in a circle and throw the hat

For the sideways hat trick ground pound then throw

bill0527

Let me go ahead and be the asshole of the thread that shits on this game a little bit..

I've played around three hours so far and I really do like the game.

So far, nothing to me screams 'greatest game of all time' like what you are seeing on metacritic.

This is basically the same Mario formula. Collect-a-thon with a gimmick, use said gimmick to solve simplistic puzzles.

This time the gimmick is a boomerang in the form of a hat.

There's nothing wrong with that. But I feel like I've played this before. Several times.

And the controls kind of suck on the pro controller when you have to do anything motion related. It works, and it works fine. Its just annoying. Its a solid 9/10 so far for me, but nothing more than that. Of course, I'm early in to the game and my opinion may change at some point.

Nintenleo

I’m playing this game so much. I played Mario games since the SNES and I’ve never witnessed a marvel like this. I need to sleep but I can’t. The Switch is calling me. I got 97 moons in the first four worlds but it’s not enough. It’s calling me. Like the mermaids in the...Odyssey.

This game really tops everything. In the same year of Botw. What a time to be alive.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So far it's pretty good...like 8/10 good. Nowhere near 64 or galaxy level of goodness yet, though

Put a couple hours in with a friend's copy tonight and this was my takeaway as well.

Really enjoyable, but didn't really give me the same sensation I felt with Galaxy and 64. I imagine younger players that are experiencing this as their first Mario adventure will become instant fans though.

I'll eventually get a Switch to play it through myself, but I didn't walk away with the urge to do so ASAP.

Shifty

So far it's pretty good...like 8/10 good. Nowhere near 64 or galaxy level of goodness yet, though

Put a couple hours in with a friend's copy tonight and this was my takeaway as well.

Really enjoyable, but didn't really give me the same sensation I felt with Galaxy and 64. I imagine younger players that are experiencing this as their first Mario adventure will become instant fans though.

I'll eventually get a Switch to play it through myself, but I didn't walk away with the urge to do so ASAP.

Give it a couple more hours. The pacing and creativity really start to ramp up a couple of kingdoms in and just keep going.

64 was my first and Odyssey has more than delivered as a successor imo. There's so much stuff in here that feels like it was meant for lifelong fans, tons of little nods to past games.

Vitacat

I LOVE THIS GAME.

Just played a couple of hours, all in docked mode using split joycon. My god, it's one brilliant, fun play mechanic after another. As for the motion controls -- in docked joycon mode I think they're superb. I really enjoy flicking cappy. But I get how it's lost in portable mode, but oh well, so you have to use Y instead.

Anyway, Nintendo is gonna make a ton of well-deserved money this xmas season. MO and BOTW are 2 of the best, if not THE best games I've ever played. Add MK8, M+R, S2, Arms etc. and Xenoblade 2 coming up soon. O_O

Only bad thing is tonight is really the first time I used my joycon this way for any period of time, and I noticed some syncing issue in my left one. My Switch is from launch day, so I guess I need to send my joycon in for repair. Meh. Still love this system.

I... don't agree. But, get a bit further in-game and see what you think. For me, this is absolutely top tier Mario. I wouldn't compare it to Galaxy directly because Galaxy is so unique (and brilliant). But I do think this is better than 64, and I played 64 since the day it launched so many years ago.

Im very frustrated that this game has motion controls because I just want to play in handheld mode!

Only on the third world now. But I would dock a points off just for that.

Crazyorloco

This game is wonderful. I find myself just sucked in. I love that moons are so common, so wherever I go I’m earning something. I feel rewarded often. It keeps me playing.

So I know a lot of people have been harping that it’s not difficult enough. This is my daughters first 3d Mario and Getting through the 2nd world (sand city) has been a pretty decent challenge for her. She was so excited when she beat the boss after several attempts.

So yeah it may not be hardcore challenging, but you have to remember this is a game for ALL ages.

It warms my heart that my daughter will “cut her teeth” on this game, which so far, seem so imaginative and exciting to play.

So for all those complaining. I would advise you to take a few steps back and remember what it was like to play a Mario game for the first time, and appreciate just how magical this game is, despite not having insanely difficult platforming for us veteran gamers .

Yeah when think of this it changes things. I think it’s just the right difficulty for all ages. My daughter I’m sure will have trouble with some of these moons. I’ve died a few times - granted it’s been silly deaths, but I’m dying lol

IllumiNate

I've been gone for a while but what's all this talk about the forums being finished? There's another place or something?

I spent a few hours playing up until the first
fight with Bowser
, and I am absolutely pleased with the game. I'm not swooning over it; I have some issues with the general lack of difficulty, the controls being touchy (which I assume is my joycon, despite having no real, consistent issues with it since launch day), and noticing some of the "problems" with the graphics in areas (I don't really care, but I found my eyes drawn to things like a magnet after reading so many complaints online).

Really, though, those things have nothing to do with the quality of the game and how much I'm enjoying it despite them. I grew a little tired while exploring that forest place
though that one fucking song is the best
, perhaps because I attempted to track down every moon I thought was possible from the sand kingdom onward, but I'm already craving more a few hours later.

Peterc

Man the motion control stuff is kind of annoying. Spinning your hat around you seems hit or miss. Also, is there no way to spin your hat around you if you’re playing with the joycons attaches to the screen in handheld mode?

You can turn it off, look at the option screen.
You can use Y key to trow anyway

Peterc

Im very frustrated that this game has motion controls because I just want to play in handheld mode!

Only on the third world now. But I would dock a points off just for that.

Turn it off in option menu...

What i also want to say,
why is it taking so long before i can reach the city. I preferred if they made the city the mainhub

I've been gone for a while but what's all this talk about the forums being finished? There's another place or something?

Just spend a few minutes in any random thread here; certain people seem incapable of not bringing it up despite having no real reason to most of the time.

Peterc

Nintendo, please stop with the shitty motion controls or give good options to replace them

I keep reading this, maybe i don't understand.

First, you can use the cape by using the Y buttons. In the option menu you even can turn off thw motion controls if you don't like it.

So what is the issue here?

It's awesome but I'm really not feeling the shake my switch stuff. Handheld mode isn't the time I want to be shaking stuff lol.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Sure, which is why they added the easy mode, but to be a game for all ages there should also be scope for more challenge for older more platforming games experienced gamers. Is there enough of that? I think this is the question some people are asking.

The Cowboy

Don't have the game yet, but can't you turn off Motion Controls? I'm sure i have seen a Photo on Twitter confirming this.

You can turn them off, but certain moves are basically tied to them so with them turned off (or playing in portable) you don't really have access to the full move set. Luckily the motion move set isn't a requirement really, so in portable or with motion turned off you can still play the game - but it is annoying.

TLZ

Banned
494 replies to this OT vs. 2,110 on ResetEra’s OT, both made by same OP.

Join the discussion over there peeps! Looking forward to all you coming over.
Please stop this silly advertising. People know to join if they want to and post where they feel like.

Just finished the main story and dived into the post-game. Holy smokes. You guys still going through it have some amazing stuff to look forward to.

That ending.
The wedding scene with the giant ring was hilarious, and capturing bowser for an escape sequence accompanied by an anime intro soundtrack was mwah. I did wonder if he was going to be the final capture target real close to the beginning of the game, and it looks like I was right!
Loved the final cutscene too. That 'pick me, pick me!' scene was amazing. Couldn't help but feel a little bit sorry for bowser when he got dunked on super hard at the end. Superbly funny.

And the post-game.
HNNNNNNG PEACH'S CASTLE AND MARIO WORLD APPLES AND YOSHI AND N64 MARIO COSTUME IT'S LIKE BEING A KID AGAIN.
This game is a true love letter to the series' history and a genuine successor to Mario 64. As someone who grew up with that game, this one might well dethrone Ninja Gaiden Black as my GOAT. So so good.

Also it's interesting how they saved the achievement system for the post-game. I quite like it, it stops the achievements from taking precedence over the actual game and encourages you to wander and explore rather than manage a checklist.

Really weird design choice to make, I hope they address it in a patch.

No ta, much more comfortable with the crew over here. Discussion is not a numbers game, and from the sound of it RE is hardly hurting for members.

Please stop, you're making me want to buy the switch,,the urge is strong

Soapy Slick

Neo Member
I do apologise if this has already being mentioned, or if I'm being incredibly dumb (probably), but is there a way of knowing how many Power Moons/collectables there are on each Kingdom within the game itself?

Pilgrimm

The two player mode which I tried yesterday for an hour with the SO was fun. Not really engaging for the person controlling capy but might be hard enough for non gaming people.

It all came down to talking and telling when to do what - the excitement when something worked out.

Really good idea from Nintendo! That way I can occupy the TV more with Mario!

Top Bottom