• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey |OT| RSVP: Guests of the Groom

Cool thanks for the heads up, the motion controls seem to be a really polarizing issue

The thing is there's nothing wrong with the motion controls and people playing in split joycon mode are probably loving them, but playing with a pro controller they are an issue and I'm sure in handheld mode it's even worse. X and A are just duplicates of Y and B any way so turning off motion controls could easily have put some of the new moves on those buttons instead.

Around halfway into
desert world
now and it's hitting me why people are finding this special. Theres so much to do in each world and some of the platforming is just a joy to complete, the 2D sections fit so well too. My camera gripes haven't been as noticeable in this world either so it's really starting to come together for me.

Keihart

FYI motion controls can work even on hanheld mode, not all of them but the most important ones seem to work fine.

SRTtoZ

Am I the only one that calls the post office to hold my mail for pick up when I'm expecting a delivery of this importance?

That's not a bad idea actually but I just had surgery and can't drive for a few weeks. I'm at the mercy of government workers!!! I should have bit the bullet and went digital with this one.

Bydobob

There’s more invention in the first couple of areas than most games muster their entire duration. The movement is exceptional as always, but offering enough variation from previous 3D Mario games to stamp a completely new identity. Nintendo’s creativity within such a long-running IP never ceases to amaze.

Shifty

I guess I'm just saying that outside of some very specific use cases, it doesn't feel necessary at all. The hat spin move, for example looks cool but isn't really necessary for anything in the game.

Saying it's "plagued" just seems a little extreme from my experience.

"Plagued" is definitely a bit strong. It doesn't ruin the game, but I definitely feel myself missing the moves if I elect to ignore motion control.

My main issue with it is the accuracy. It's improved as I've become more familiar with the controls, but having a cap spin register as a down throw and taking damage because of it is frustrating when there are two redundant buttons that could have been used instead.

There's more invention in the first couple of areas than most games muster their entire duration.

Preach. The design in this game is absolutely sublime.

In particular, the
aurora borealis mirage light dress thing
in the
water
kingdom and the
cloud arches
in the
cloud
kingdom are breathtaking. Art I say!

Fledz

How do you get the moon that's close to the Odyssey? The one that isn't mandatory. I'm assuming you have to climb up the pole that's towards the T-Rex and then hat jump over?

ed- Oh ffs, there's literally a landscape change when you activate the Odyssey.

Pineapple

Should I move on to the next kingdom once I obtain enough moons?

I recently acquired enough moons to leave the Sand Kingdom, but hung around and picked up a few more afterwards. I pulled up the moon inventory book and noticed that...there are a lot of moons that I still need to pick up here.

The only problem is that I don't know if I am able to find these moons now, or if I have to unlock later parts of the game / wait until the post game to come back and get these.

What is everyone else doing?

cereal_killerxx

People are playing this with or without motion?

The only motion control that's optional is the camera unfortunately. Apparently, the separated joy cons is the easiest motion control method. I worry though because I have big hands which may cramp over long gameplay sessions :/

I feel like my joycons are messed up or something. I'm trying to play with them split apart because of the extra moves you can do with motion controls which is fine honestly, I don't mind doing those... however... I'm having issues. Like Mario will sometimes just keep running even when I let off the stick (which has killed me multiple times by running off a ledge). And I don't mean it's just a weighted run that some games use (that keeps you going for a second after letting go of the button) - I mean Mario will be running full blast and won't stop. Or I'll press a button and it won't do anything at first. It seems to only be affecting the left joycon though (which is unfortunate since that is the one that controls Mario's movements) - it even desynced once last night.

I seem to recall hearing about joycons desyncing but never had an issue until this. No way to fix this? I started to use my pro controller last night because I was getting so annoyed, but doing the motion controls with that doesn't feel nearly as good.

People are finding ways to do the "motion-control-only" moves without motion control. For example, the hat spin move can be done by spinning the left stick and then hitting Y. Hopefully the rest of these moves will have hidden shortcuts that the community will find.

I tried the motion controls but after a couple of minutes I could tell I will get carpal tunnel if I use them. I mean, it's crazy that for every throw you have to flick your wrist if you use motion controls. That just screams carpal tunnel to me, and I sure felt that way after only a couple of minutes. There is no way I'm using motion controls on this game.

I'm currently trying to collect all purple coins in Sand Kingdom, I'm missing three.
Might it be that they are
on the floating platform I can't reach yet?
I only unlocked the 4th world, but didn't enter yet.

Edit: Found them.
At the edge of the map near the ship.

@the person above:
Was playing the whole day (literally) with motion and have no problem.
Perhaps you should train your handwrists a bit more.

JimiNutz

Banned
Nothing really wrong with the game. Functionally, it's right on the money. Personally I'm not feeling the hat throw mechanic, but that's just my own problem. When I'm running, every fibre of my being wants to hit 'Y' to dive, but it throws the hat instead.

The problem is me. Collecting things in a 3D world just isn't my jam anymore I guess. This is the second time now, following Yooka-Laylee. I thought Mario would be different because it's Mario, but no dice. It sux.

This is a concern for me.
I love the look of the game, it just seems so happy and full of life but I'm not sure that I really enjoy games where the main hook is collecting things.

I still think I have to try the game for myself but I'm going in with low expectations and am resigned to the idea that this game might just not be for me.

Bydobob

I feel like my joycons are messed up or something. I'm trying to play with them split apart because of the extra moves you can do with motion controls which is fine honestly, I don't mind doing those... however... I'm having issues. Like Mario will sometimes just keep running even when I let off the stick (which has killed me multiple times by running off a ledge). And I don't mean it's just a weighted run that some games use (that keeps you going for a second after letting go of the button) - I mean Mario will be running full blast and won't stop. Or I'll press a button and it won't do anything at first. It seems to only be affecting the left joycon though (which is unfortunate since that is the one that controls Mario's movements) - it even desynced once last night.

I seem to recall hearing about joycons desyncing but never had an issue until this. No way to fix this? I started to use my pro controller last night because I was getting so annoyed, but doing the motion controls with that doesn't feel nearly as good.

Afraid this is the typical symptom of left joycon desyncing. You can send it back to Nintendo for a fix, but in my case it didn’t make any difference, I still get regular desyncing at couch distance. No silver bullet other than sitting closer to the Switch and making sure you’re free of obstructions and interference from other sources. Easier said than done I know.

JonnyKong

Has anyone managed to start the post game stuff yet?

In Cascade Falls -
how on earth do I beat the Koopa race for the second time? Freaking impossible

Got to play this for all of an hour last night when it unlocked and it brought back that feeling I had with Mario 64 on that games launch day. Can’t wait to spend the next month playing this.

Afraid this is the typical symptom of left joycon desyncing. You can send it back to Nintendo for a fix, but in my case it didn’t make any difference, I still get regular desyncing at couch distance. No silver bullet other than sitting closer to the Switch and making sure you’re free of obstructions and interference from other sources. Easier said than done I know.

Damn that sucks. :( Hmm, the switch is currently behind the TV, so I might try moving it to another location if that is causing interference. I'm sitting fairly close to it (like 3 or 4 feet maybe).

BDGAME

The only motion control that's optional is the camera unfortunately. Apparently, the separated joy cons is the easiest motion control method. I worry though because I have big hands which may cramp over long gameplay sessions :/

Sad for you. I'm only playing my switch with separeted Joycon.

Shifty

Should I move on to the next kingdom once I obtain enough moons?

I recently acquired enough moons to leave the Sand Kingdom, but hung around and picked up a few more afterwards. I pulled up the moon inventory book and noticed that...there are a lot of moons that I still need to pick up here.

The only problem is that I don't know if I am able to find these moons now, or if I have to unlock later parts of the game / wait until the post game to come back and get these.

What is everyone else doing?

I'm about 8 kingdoms in and I think they're self-contained. I've not had parts of a kingdom open up due to my actions elsewhere yet, only from beating the multi moon quests.
That said, there are 5 moons in the cap kingdom that I have no idea how to get despite having gone over it pretty thoroughly. I don't want to abuse the hint toad so my plan is to wait and see.

As far as collection goes I tend to get enough moons, finish up the main quest and then move on. Occasionally with a bit of 'just one two three four more moons' before I go.

What do the acorns do?

You gotta find a place to plant them.

So in the sand/desert kingdom how do you re-enter the inverted pyramid at the start of the level? I missed some purple coins in a 2D sequence but if i go back to the pyramid and enter from the top there doesn't seem to be any way for me to jump back into the 2D sequence or find a way round to get to the pipe that actually leads you into that 2D sequence.

Thanks

feel

I really shouldn’t have tried 120fps Downsampled ABZU on Ultra right before playing this last night. 😓 Feel like I’m not enjoying the visuals as much as I should. IQ aside, visual design feels like a mixed bag tho, some areas are pure Nintendo magic 🌈😍 and others are Eh 😕, not feeling the mix of realism and fantasy in the visuals of some areas. I will hate Donk City for sure, seems like it will be the epitome of clashing visual styles. I also despise that stupidly hideous shadow bug on vertical surfaces, how did that get past testing..

Gameplay and funfactor are top notch a couple of hours in tho, doesn’t feel as special as Galaxy 1 was in its day, but I’m still very hooked.

Jharp

Is there any canon on what the fuck Bowser and Peach do while waiting for Mario? Do they talk about, like, TV and sports and shit? At this point she's been kidnapped so many times, Bowser's gotta be like "so... how was that John Mayer concert you told me about last time? Oh, good? Good good good... you want me to throw a Digorno in the oven and we can watch the new season of Stranger Things?"

Is there any canon on what the fuck Bowser and Peach do while waiting for Mario? Do they talk about, like, TV and sports and shit? At this point she's been kidnapped so many times, Bowser's gotta be like "so... how was that John Mayer concert you told me about last time? Oh, good? Good good good... you want me to throw a Digorno in the oven and we can watch the new season of Stranger Things?"

Bowser gets busy in wedding preparations...

Neff

??????

how many hours???

Been playing for about 14 hours or so. It's not a super-long game, but the quality is very, very high throughout with almost no downtime, and it does seem to have a decent chunk of original post-game content.

The final sequence is quite something huh?

When
all three of them are just waiting there with Bowser unconscious and it dawns on you what you have to do, followed up with that body swap sequence, leading into a fucking 2D/3D Super Metroid escape, climaxing with god damn Bowser J-pop

My body wasn't ready.

JonnyKong

I am completely stumped with how to get some of these moons, I'm thinking I'm going to need to buy a guide for this bad boy.

Olinad

Neo Member
Preach. The design in this game is absolutely sublime.

In particular, the
aurora borealis mirage light dress thing
in the
water
kingdom and the
cloud arches
in the
cloud
kingdom are breathtaking. Art I say!

I was stunned by the last areas of the game, both from a design and gameplay standpoint. The final level then... mind blown.

Not gonna spoil if not asked :)

Davey Cakes

The game can look quite rough in handheld mode. Worst IQ I've seen on the switch.
I'm disappointed by this, as I've heard it from multiple people now.

For some reason I figured this game would looking amazing on the Switch screen. I was looking forward to playing it all over the place, not relying on the TV.

Sounds like it's barely worth it, considering the necessary IQ sacrifices. Mehhhh,

SRTtoZ

As someone said earlier, this seems like one off the recalls they had with the Joycons. I sent mine in months ago for free and Nintendo returned it in a few days. Call them and do that.

Pila

Am I the only one that calls the post office to hold my mail for pick up when I'm expecting a delivery of this importance?

They were messing this up so I asked the boss to leave for a few minutes and picked the thing at their deposit. Dead serious.

Top Bottom