• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Translation of Lucas' trophy :

"Lucas used to be weak-willed, and cry all the time. However, he overcame unimaginable hardships, and must surely be out adventuring somewhere right now. Or perhaps, he's found a partner and made a family of his own... No, no, that feels too soon. To fans of the MOTHER series, both Lucas and Ness might be young boys for all eternity."

I'm... confused, and sad. Really sad.

I thought you were joking but that's real--and so fucked up!!

Better question, why does the handheld SSB which is suppose to have stages based on handheld games, have a Mother stage that's only in the console entries?

Besides Mario, that statement about 3DS having more handheld stages and Wii U having more console stages really didn't go that far after the E3 reveal to be honest. I mean the Wii U version has a stage from Pokemon XY for example.

Kinsei

Banned
Better question, why does the handheld SSB which is suppose to have stages based on handheld games, have a Mother stage that's only in the console entries?

Why does F-Zero have a stage from the SNES game and not GP Legend (The GBA game)?

Cause Sakurai.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Judging by the music so far and the lack of a Golden Sun track, I'm inclined to believe Golden Sun in it's entirety was scrapped. Have to wait on the Wii U version to be sure though.

Yokai

Lucas may be out, but hopefully kumatora or duster can make it in!

... not gonna happen. Has there been an ice climber trophy?

Axass

3mdOOoi.png

Another one bites the dust. At this point I hope there's a trophy of Ridley, I'd actually see it as a bad omen if there's no trophy. Same for Isaac.

Hatchtag

Banned
Judging by the music so far and the lack of a Golden Sun track, I'm inclined to believe Golden Sun in it's entirety was scrapped. Have to wait on the Wii U version to be sure though.

It doesn't explain why Camelot is creditted in the credits, and Ray MK II, who had the same role as Isaac in Brawl, has also had his franchise completely dissappear. Its just odd. Makes me wonder if somethings up.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It doesn't explain why Camelot is creditted in the credits, and Ray MK II, who had the same role as Isaac in Brawl, has also had his franchise completely dissappear. Its just odd. Makes me wonder if somethings up.

Maybe Camelot helped with some form of development in the game? Just because a company is credited doesn't exactly mean it's strictly for honorifics for products they put out.

Hatchtag

Banned
Maybe Camelot helped with some form of development in the game? Just because a company is credited doesn't exactly mean it's strictly for honorifics for products they put out.

True, but I think if they worked on the game, they wouldn't let their franchise's already minimal representation in Smash be significantly lowered.

StayDead

Isaac and Ray MK II may be Wii U exclusive assist trophies. The games have different ones.

Haldinian

I knew from the beginning that Lucas and Wolf were going down... but when I see their trophies it just feels bad. They could barely be considered clones (just their specials, and they were good variations of the original ones) and it's a shame that they have been kicked out while things like Dr.Mario are in the final game (I'm looking at you too, Pittoo).

Heropon

Isaac and Ray MK II may be Wii U exclusive assist trophies. The games have different ones.

I was going to say something about how it doesn't make sense to have a handheld exclusive character as a Wii U only AT but Sakurai is really random so who knows what's happening.

Axass

That's what I was thinking as well, but others say that it makes little sense, seeing as Isaac starred only in handheld games. Same for Jill, Helirin, Barbara.

Dr. Mario is at least a vet and has ground in the series. Dark Pit is from one game. People not happy Dark Pit replaced Wolf have a valid point. I feel Lucas would get cut because he was there just for fan service, like Snake. Also, no one is upset Lucina is a straight clone of Marth. It seems odd the Dr. Mario hate. I am excited to play Melee Mario again.

fanboss

Being a trophy doesn't mean the character can't be a DLC - I do think it reduces the probability, but not that much anymore since all the wanted characters are trophies now - but the description... ICs not mentioning Smash is expected but still cruel since nearly everyone now ICs from Smash, and the description of Lucas's trophy... :/

Zomba13

I knew from the beginning that Lucas and Wolf were going down... but when I see their trophies it just feels bad. They could barely be considered clones (just their specials, and they were good variations of the original ones) and it's a shame that they have been kicked out while things like Dr.Mario are in the final game (I'm looking at you too, Pittoo).

I feel the same. They get rid of the "clones" with actual variation (which could be further differentiated thanks to the custom specials in this game) and keep (and bring back!) the clones that are more cloney. I love Falco, He's a fun character and cool in Star Fox 64 but for god's sake cut him and keep Wolf. And Don't bother with Pittoo and instead keep Lucas. I'm sure no one would have been sad if Pittoo was just an alt costume/colouring and we got to keep Lucas.

PKrockin

Dr. Mario is at least a vet and has ground in the series. Dark Pit is from one game. People not happy Dark Pit replaced Wolf have a valid point. I feel Lucas would get cut because he was there just for fan service, like Snake. Also, no one is upset Lucina is a straight clone of Marth. It seems odd the Dr. Mario hate. I am excited to play Melee Mario again.
This is the funny part. She's even worse of a clone than Doctor Mario but the waifu factor is too strong.

This is the funny part. She's even worse of a clone than Doctor Mario but the waifu factor is too strong.

I think it's more that Dr Mario as a character is literally just Mario with different clothes, compared to Lucina being an entirely separate and popular character.

Dark Pit didn't "replace" Wolf. I don't know why you're bring up being in one game either as it's not like that's exclusive to Dark Pit. I said before that Dark Pit wasn't the best choice for a clone but he honestly seems to have more variation than Lucina and like all clones didn't get in over a totally new character. I bet that Dark Pit and Dr. Mario were originally alts. Alph would've probably been a clone as well if there was more time.

Heropon

I like clones because it's an easy way of having extra characters when it makes sense. The only one I dislike is Falcondorf.

Dr. Mario is at least a vet and has ground in the series. Dark Pit is from one game. People not happy Dark Pit replaced Wolf have a valid point.

no they fucking don't, stop with this madness. Dark Pit was a costume they decided to give a different FS (maybe different properties) and that means he gets his own spot. that doesn't take much time, he didn't steal anyones spot. would you guys be happier if he just was a costume and we had one fighter less? who f'n cares.

Zomba13

Lucina should have been an alt like Alph is for Olimar.

no they fucking don't, stop with this madness. Dark Pit was a costume they decided to give a different FS (maybe different properties) and that means he gets his own spot. that doesn't take much time, he didn't steal anyones spot. would you guys be happier if he just was a costume and we had one fighter less? who f'n cares.

Probably yeah. By that logic why not buff out the roster a bit more by Making Purple Luigi a new character, give him an altered FS or something and woo! New character! Exciting FS! Many same moves with slightly different properties! his fireball is now purple and does 1% less!

Forkball

Let me give a mini review about Smash Run.

If you don't know how it works exactly, think of it as the old Adventure Mode mixed in with dungeon crawling and a Moba-esque stat building aspect. You explore and gather items for five minutes, then you're tossed into a one minute battle against three others who were running the dungeon.

+This is the premiere mode to use your customized character. If you felt iffy about giving fighters stat changes opposed to just moveset changes, don't worry. This is the mode where you can use your +50 speed Bowser without shame. I've created custom characters specifically tailored for this mode. In addition to the normal customization stuff, you get Smash Run powers, which work like the 4-koma system in Jump Ultimate Stars. Each character has around 20 points, and you spend these on abilities you can use via the touch screen. I mostly just use the area nukes, but there are a lot of options and you can use whatever you think is best.
+Enemies. There's a large variety of different enemies, including characters you'd never thought you'd see in Smash Bros. These are all from Nintendo games, so no more boring Primids. There's a lot of fanservice here. I mean, Starmen are in this mode. STARMEN. You can't just musou through everyone however, the enemies can be extremely difficult and have very unpredictable attacks.
+Events and secrets. There's a lot of special moments packed into five minutes. There are constant events around the map that net you rewards, and doors lead into minigames that have you breaking targets, defeating enemies in a time limit, dodging a giant foe etc. Even after 20 runs there are still many places and things I haven't seen yet. No two run is exactly the same, even if you manage to wind up in the same area as a previous run.
+One minute battle. These are actually quite fun. Ironically most of the time I get the races instead of the standard battles. The races are actually entertaining as there are so many obstacles in the way that the smallest mistake could send you back quite a ways.

-Can be too easy. While the actual dungeon part can be pretty hard, I almost never lose in the one minute battle, even if everyone has much better stats than I do. There's no way to ramp up the difficulty either for them, so you're basically stuck with fairly easy foes.
-Too many Kid Icarus enemies. While every now and then you run into someone cool like Starmen, Dig Dug Pookas, and Stalfoses, half of the time you are fighting nameless goober from Kid Icarus Uprising. I know it's easy to use them considering you can just pull the data from that game which was on the same system, yet I feel so many franchises are not represented at all. I don't think there are any Fire Emblem enemies at all.
-NOT ONLINE. Why this isn't online is truly baffling. It would be easy to do since you only see your foe for literally one minute. It would help with the difficulty problem as well. It would also be a no-risk way of letting us see other people's customized characters.

Overall it's a very good addition to the series. Some people might not get into it, but I think it's a fun mode to play if you want to take a break from typical Smash battles.

Qurupeke

Leave Lucina out of this.

Kouichi

Clones exist to pad the roster without the effort required to make a unique character. Their existence does not prevent any character from being playable. If Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr.Mario were removed form the roster, the roster would not change at all. After Melee finished, Sakurai said that the time it took to make the 6 clones would have been the same as making King Dedede playable.

3mdOOoi.png

"Lucas used to be weak-willed, and cry all the time. However, he overcame unimaginable hardships, and must surely be out adventuring somewhere right now. Or perhaps, he's found a partner and made a family of his own... No, no, that feels too soon. To fans of the MOTHER series, both Lucas and Ness might be young boys for all eternity."

I'm glad that he a trophy at the very least. You better bring him back as DLC or something, Sakurai.

No one is upset Lucina is a straight clone of Marth...

I fucking hate Lucina's inclusion and I believe I've said it enough in the past 7 threads.

Probably yeah. By that logic why not buff out the roster a bit more by Making Purple Luigi a new character, give him an altered FS or something and woo! New character! Exciting FS! Many same moves with slightly different properties! his fireball is now purple and does 1% less!

Except that's not an actual character that exists in any game.

zroid

Banned
Should have kept Lucas and cut Ness tbh

although Ness has PK Freeze as a custom now, right? it's an improvement at least.

Axass

Clones exist to pad the roster without the effort required to make a unique character. Their existence does not prevent any character from being playable. If Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr.Mario were removed form the roster, the roster would not change at all. After Melee finished, Sakurai said that the time it took to make the 6 clones would have been the same as making King Dedede playable.

I can only see one big glaring problem with clones. Great characters end up being introduced with a boring and samey moveset and are stuck with it forever.

See Ganondorf, but also Luigi, who could've had a totally different and more original moveset from the start. I feel the same for Dark Pit, I wish he had a more original moveset, especially with the humongous amount of weapons present in Uprising. The biggest problem with clones is wasted potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom