• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinsei

Banned
Clones exist to pad the roster without the effort required to make a unique character. Their existence does not prevent any character from being playable. If Lucina, Dark Pit, and Dr.Mario were removed form the roster, the roster would not change at all. After Melee finished, Sakurai said that the time it took to make the 6 clones would have been the same as making King Dedede playable.

Hmm, so the question is whether or not people would rather have 51 characters with clones or 46 unique characters. Do people think cutting Ganondorf, Dr. Mario, Falco, Toon Link, Dark Pit, and Lucina would be worth it?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lucina impressions actually have me pretty confused.

Some people say she feels very different, a couple have said she's "snappier" and totally better than Marth. Others say she isn't different at all, she is literally Marth with modified hitboxes and nothing else.

I don't really see a purpose in the latter, if that's true she should have just been an alt. It's just weird that I've read totally conflicting things.

Lord Phol

Hmm, so the question is whether or not people would rather have 51 characters with clones or 46 unique characters. Do people think cutting Ganondorf, Dr. Mario, Falco, Toon Link, Dark Pit, and Lucina would be worth it?

Yeah for sure. Just make them alternative costumes or make them real characters. Now with customization clones feel even less "useful" IMO.

Yeah. The more I hear about this, the more I want people to let the Smash team know we don't care about 100% roster parity; so long as the Wii U version has the Ice Climbers and Chorus Men,we'll be happy, Because I know at least I don't want to wait months/years for DLC, especially if it's New 3DS exclusive.
I can see a DLC pack adding characters for the Wii U and offering exclusive content for the New 3DS. My only problem is would Sakurai would create that disparity between New 3DS owners and OG 3DS owners? Nintendo would love it because it'd get people to upgrade their 3DS's for sure, but Sakurai is a funny one to pin down. Personally, I think, at the very least, the Wii U version will get the characters that couldn't work out, and from there they'll be pushed to the 3DS someway.

Tiamant

Sooo... Isn't the OST a little too small compared with Brawl's? Is that a 3DS version thing and WiiU will have more tracks or this is the whole thing? Because if so then it's very disappointing.

i'm pretty sure people would love the roster if they cut out all the clones. i'm serious.

give 'em all unique only and they love it.

Kinsei

Banned
Sooo... Isn't the OST a little too small compared with Brawl's? Is that a 3DS version thing and WiiU will have more tracks or this is the whole thing? Because if so then it's very disappointing.

It's been stated multiple times that the Wii U version will have a much bigger soundtrack.

Zixmar

Neo Member
BxfpvvWIIAIMlxQ.jpg

Really? those problems happened only to the normal 3DS owners?

Less tracks in the 3DS tracks should of been assumed with the "2 tracks per stage" rule.

Forkball

The worst thing about clones is that their specials are identical. Why couldn't they have the other character's custom special as their default? That would change them up immensely. But no, gotta model some stupid gauntlet for Black Pit's otherwise identical side special.

Well I think Falco has moved passed clone at this point. Toon Link is more of a semi-clone as well.

Zixmar

Neo Member
I have to wonder how much those people have played. I've already played the demo for 6 hours and I've had no problems with the circle pad.

Idk man, that really makes me afraid to play it a lot.

Aqua blue 3ds that has been through mk7 and uprising here. Still going strong with no issues.

Looks like Smash is another story though.

PKrockin

The worst thing about clones is that their specials are identical. Why couldn't they have the other character's custom special as their default? That would change them up immensely. But no, gotta model some stupid gauntlet for Black Pit's otherwise identical side special.
Some gauntlet? It's the electroshock arm.

Axass

I have to wonder how much those people have played. I've already played the demo for 6 hours and I've had no problems with the circle pad.

The circle pad of the first batch of 3DSs is known to be shit, if you look at the Kotaku thread they're mostly Aqua Blue, so probably launch day 3DSs.

Kouichi

I can only see one big glaring problem with clones. Great characters end up being introduced with a boring and samey moveset and are stuck with it forever.

See Ganondorf, but also Luigi, who could've had a totally different and more original moveset from the start. I feel the same for Dark Pit, I wish he had a more original moveset, especially with the humongous amount of weapons present in Uprising. The biggest problem with clones is wasted potential.

I kinda of agree with this. When adding clones to pad the roster, it's better to pick clones that make sense. Ganondorf is the perfect example of how not to do a clone.

However, despite the similar moves, characters like Falco and Luigi have becomes completely unique characters in their own right. They're similarity to their counterparts actually makes a lot of sense. In the case of Dark Pit, I feel safe saying that he would have never been playable if they didn't make him a clone. If he becomes unique in the future remains to be seen.

Yeah it does depend on preference here. However, keep in mind that characters like Falco and Ganondorf are not Melee clones anymore. Their movesets maybe similar, but I believe the effort that goes into them is the same as any other unique character now.

The way I see it, more characters makes more fans happy. If you could add a clone that makes sense, then I say why not? Lucina fans and Dark Pit fans get to have their beloved characters in Smash without any effort.

zruben

Banned
Repost from the other thread, hoping to get some responses.

I have that one.
It's awesome, doesn't really feel cheap and it really helps about the handcramps.
The only thing that irks me about that grip is that you can't take the stylus off when you are using it.

zruben

Banned
I meant the small one not the XL.

There was one pic of a xl in there (the black one with the completely broken slider)

vukadajhhrzmz2hn7d8k.jpg

My xl has endured almost 15 good hours of smash demo, and has endured a lot of games that can be a threat for the circle pad (zelda oot, mario 3d land,mario kart 7, etc.)

Zixmar

Neo Member
There was one pic of a xl in there (the black one with the completely broken slider)

My xl has endured almost 15 good hours of smash demo, and has endured a lot of games that can be a threat for the circle pad (zelda oot, mario 3d land,mario kart 7, etc.)

Okay, now I really should worry then.

Fuck

Hiroaki

Neo Member

vukadajhhrzmz2hn7d8k.jpg

I think It depends on the player because I have a friend who plays his XL ALOT but his circle pad is just fine.

zruben

Banned
Okay, now I really should worry then.

Fuck

Just don't stress the circle pad too much and you'll be fine. As I said, mine has endured a lot of abuse (specially mk7).

There's just a couple of isolated cases around the internet. It happens with every handheld/controller ever.

NeonZ

I love her as a character which makes her a Marth clone even more sad. I rather they done Morgan and him/her be a Robin clone.

That would run into the same problem as Pit/Dark Pit though. Morgan would look too much like a slightly shorter headswap for Robin.

Zixmar

Neo Member
Just don't stress the circle pad too much and you'll be fine. As I said, mine has endured a lot of abuse (specially mk7).

There's just a couple of isolated cases around the internet. It happens with every handheld/controller ever.

I'll take your advise, thanks.

I can't get over how amazing of a stage Magicant is. I never thought Fountain of Dreams would ever get topped as far as stages go and yet, here we are.

Edit: I always end up at the very bottom of pages =/

Kinsei

Banned
I can't get over how amazing of a stage Magicant is. I never thought Fountain of Dreams would ever get topped as far as stages go and yet, here we are.

With the exception of NPC, the Mother stages are my favorites in the series. I <3 Onett, Fourside, and Magicant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom