• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchtag

Banned
Shulk seems bad? I know his moves come out a little slow, but I'd like to think mastering his Monado stances will be key. Oh well, he looks like a ton of fun.

Yeah, his moves come out real slow, and his Monado stances take a lot of getting used to, and just aren't all that worth the hassle of managing them thus far. I wasn't having much fun with him, but of the newcomers, him and Lucina are the ones I'm most interested in. I'm probably gonna try to break him with custom moves and then play as him more.

giphy.gif
brb doing 99 minutes 4 cpu 9 cpu match :3
Try checking the digital instruction manual if you can read japanese.
glancing through the manual, i didn't see any mention of it. might missed it if there's in the manual since i focused on the word リプレイ only

EulaCapra

Just saw Jigglypuff's Sing in Makai's stream used on Bowser with about 50% damage. IT'S USEFUL AGAIN! Jiggly ends animation before they can wake up!

I don't know how I feel about watching Jigglypuff on streams. They're only worth it if they win. Otherwise, violence on Puff is hard to watch.

Yeah, his moves come out real slow, and his Monado stances take a lot of getting used to, and just aren't all that worth the hassle of managing them thus far. I wasn't having much fun with him, but of the newcomers, him and Lucina are the ones I'm most interested in. I'm probably gonna try to break him with custom moves and then play as him more.

I gotcha. We'll see, I can't wait to crack him open. Be sure to keep us updated as you mess with him more.

PKrockin

Shulk seems bad? I know his moves come out a little slow, but I'd like to think mastering his Monado stances will be key. Oh well, he looks like a ton of fun.
I don't think anyone knows how to use Shulk yet. I can practically hear them thinking "shit... uh, which one is..." every time they stand around trying to switch modes and then awkwardly throw out a smash attack or back slash as the opponent rushes them.

Confirmed it just let me save an entire 10 minute match, which is more than might ever me necessary.

At the results screen, you'll get a prompt to press Y, like above. Do it, hit A, then it saves the replay to SD card.
Sorry dude, I left my computer after you responded to my previous post. That's great to see! Wii U one can only have more features with replays, but even this is totally fine.

So if Sakurai added Doc in Melee because he liked his theme song, how much do you want to bet Dark Pit got added for the same reason? It's even his victory theme haha, which I'm surprised they didn't do to Doc as well.

Does Bowser Jr. have Bowser's victory theme?

Well, Mega Man and Pac Man are always going to have the axe hanging above their heads due to them being third party (Although I can't see why Capcom and Namco wouldn't want them in the next Smash).

Lucina. If either of the new FE characters don't come back it's going to be her that gets cut.

Bowser Jr. Mario has quite a few characters at this point, and if one gets cut it's not going to be Rosalina.

Greninja. I can see him becoming the next Mewtwo.
Unless something severely goes wrong with their relationships, no way any of the three 3rd parties get cut. They are too iconic and fit in too well.

I'd say theres around 75% chance that Lucina stays. She is very popular and she can stay as an easy clone. She is the first true female FE rep and that series needed one considering how equal it is between genders. The only FE cut I see happening is Robin only to be replaced with the next customizable Tactician with probably the near same moveset AKA just updating the Tactician's design.

No way Bowser Jr. or the Koopalings get cut. They are too important to the NSMB series and Mario is their top franchise, it can have lots of characters.

I'd say theres a 90% chance Greninja stays. Very popular and I don't see his popularity declining over time much at all.

And Dark Pit will likely stay because of Sakurai bias :p

For Smash 5, I think there is a high chance we don't see any cuts. Any character added inSmash 4 seems to have staying power for one reason or another. I know that could possibly bring it to 60-65 characters next time which seems insane but theres no real reason to cut any of the characters next time. The only true cuts for Smash 4 were Lucas and Wolf since IC was because of 3DS and Snake was because of Konami. Sakurai wouldn't have cut either since they are entire franchises unless he had too.

I just don't see any character being cut next go around. Will be interesting to see which characters if any get cut for Smash 5.

So if Sakurai added Doc in Melee because he liked his theme song, how much do you want to bet Dark Pit got added for the same reason? It's even his victory theme haha, which I'm surprised they didn't do to Doc as well.

Does Bowser Jr. have Bowser's victory theme?
Doc should have gotten a unique victory theme. Makes too much sense. :(

And yeah, Jr's theme is the same as Bowser's.

Vashzaron

Previous characters (click to view)

This time I'm doing fox only, final destination, no items. I actually like his playstyle in this game other than the fact that his laser seems nerfed and his reflector is no longer cancellable so it's pretty useless, but he has a few customs that are fun, especially his recovery. His normals also feel pretty good generally, so I may pick him up soon.

Quite happy about these customs, liking the sound of at least one custom selection over all the defaults.

Thanks for da info.

Nope. I just unlocked Rob and jigglypuff by playing regular vs against bots. I think online matches count toward the total match count, and then you just messes around in regular versus.

Well the vs matches are always alternate methods but apparently the intensities are incorrect unless there's something I'm missing here.

I loooove Bowser in this game. The way he feels, the way he moves, all his attacks. Finally, after so many years of...sucking, the King is back and better than ever!

Duck Hunt is also slowly becoming one of my favorites too. His animations are cute and he's got a pretty unique style. I guess this is the closest we'll ever get to Banjo and Kazooie in Smash so time to make the best of it.

georly

I know the feeling. I want to see Ness be fucking godlike for once.

So far ness seems better than he ever has been, but i'm not a ness main, so I couldn't tell you for sure. Everyone I played consistently in brawl feels WAY better in this game. Even ROB feels pretty great, like way more fun to play than brawl. And I liked him in brawl.

I've been playing the demo all day and I'm already having more fun than I've ever had with Brawl, mainly because this is probably Link's best incarnation in Smash
KuGsj.gif

So far ness seems better than he ever has been, but i'm not a ness main, so I couldn't tell you for sure. Everyone I played consistently in brawl feels WAY better in this game. Even ROB feels pretty great, like way more fun to play than brawl. And I liked him in brawl.
I've been hearing this from a lot of people. Hopefully, as the metagame grows, the balance stays somewhat balanced.

What ever happened with the file size difference between the box art and the eShop? I doubt the game's data can be looked at yet but I wonder if the whole thing was just an error.

georly

I've been hearing this from a lot of people. Hopefully, as the metagame grows, the balance stays somewhat balanced.

Well, I think most players aren't playing at pro levels, and a lot of that meta doesn't always apply.

When brawl came out, it was almost immediately apparent who was good and who was bad, ignoring high-level stuff like ice climbers chain grabs. Metaknight was clearly really good, and ganondorf was clearly really bad, and all of that was evident really early on.

I don't get the same feeling this time. I feel like while the game might not be perfectly balanced, the tier gap might be might tighter/smaller this time around. Who knows, though.

Can you do custom character loadouts in an online match?

When playing w/ friends, yes.

Cool. Has anyone tried to get conversations with Doc Louis on the Punchout stage with mac, or conversations on the Reset Bomb Forrest as KI:U characters?

Trying now. No luck yet. Actually, i got doc to say something while taunting w/ little mac, but no convo, but that can happen on any stage.

Well, I think most players aren't playing at pro levels, and a lot of that meta doesn't always apply.

When brawl came out, it was almost immediately apparent who was good and who was bad, ignoring high-level stuff like ice climbers chain grabs. Metaknight was clearly really good, and ganondorf was clearly really bad, and all of that was evident really early on.

I don't get the same feeling this time. I feel like while the game might not be perfectly balanced, the tier gap might be might tighter/smaller this time around. Who knows, though.
Interesting. I'm excited to see how everyone ends up this time, as with Brawl I was completely unaware of how good characters were outside of my group of friends; I didn't know Meta Knight was considered OP until like 3 years after its release!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom