• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

Question:

How does the replay channel work? I been here conflictions about what can be recorded and for how long.

Any idea and can I take the video elsewhere?
I've heard it can save up to 17 minute replays now. So not much to worry about on that front.

If it's at all like Brawl (and it probably is, because file size), then replays are just the inputs and variables associated with the match, rather than any kind of actual video file. So you can't really do anything with it, unless you can record 3DS footage. Unless there's a new feature I don't know about. I should let people with the game answer, lol.

PK Gaming

Do you know how depressed I am? Makes me wonder if that amiibo was real.

Bp0QPL1CEAEaakt.jpg:large

There's always a way

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
They are not, actually, which is odd. They're one of the eight Assists from Brawl that are missing. Of these eight, only Resetti, Barbara, and the Excitebiker still have trophies. Isaac and Ray MK.III's disappearance is really, really odd.

Dark Pit's location is rather curious, listed after every other character including the new third party characters. That suggests the opposite from your idea to me--that he was added very late to the game, later than even Lucina and Dr. Mario.

Funnily enough, Jigglypuff is still listed really late in the character order like she was in Brawl.

Yep, Jigglypuff is more likely to be very low on priority list as usual like Brawl's.

Well, Lucina and Dr. Mario are more likely to be alt costumes in early planning. Once they had more free times with alt costume so it's more likely that Dark Pit, and Koopalings could be last minute additions to a group of alternative costume characters. Then they have more free time to turn three alt costumes into clones.

I guess Sakurai didn't planned to included Dark Pit if they were running out of time but they ended up being ahead of their planned schedule. I recalled that Sakurai was being very positive about development schedule on twitter if I recalled correctly.

Yeah, It was strange that Isaac, Jill, Ray MK3, Excitebiker, Barbara, and few more were missing in action.

I don't think Doc was an alt costume. He has too many differences from Mario that Dark Pit and Lucina do not have. I think he was an easy vet to add really late in development, so they did. Possibly to try and make up for Lucas/Wolf or whatever.

SuperSah

Banned
I've heard it can save up to 17 minute replays now. So not much to worry about on that front.

If it's at all like Brawl (and it probably is, because file size), then replays are just the inputs and variables associated with the match, rather than any kind of actual video file. So you can't really do anything with it, unless you can record 3DS footage. Unless there's a new feature I don't know about. I should let people with the game answer, lol.

That's interesting..

Should of saved videos to the SD card to share. Iirc, you can upload them to a Replay Channel too?

I really do wonder why Lucas and Wolf got cut, the game is very clearly built on top of Brawl so it shouldn't have been that hard to get them in, especially since they are both clones.

Richie

Has anyone checked if the crowd has specific cheers for alt costume characters (Alph, Larry, Ludwig, etc)?

That's a good question! Pokémon Trainer in Brawl had the crowd chant "PO KÉ MON!" for all three of them, so they may be going a similar route here ("PIKMIN! CAPTAIN!" "KOOPAS!")

I really do wonder why Lucas and Wolf got cut, the game is very clearly built on top of Brawl so it shouldn't have been that hard to get them in, especially since they are both clones.

Sakurai said they weren't placing priorities on series unlikely to get a new installment soon. That explains Mother, but it wouldn't explain Wolf, seeing how a new Star Fox is slated for next year.

SuperSah

Banned

Maybe Sakurai decided there were too many clones...

...so replaced them with other clones.

Would love a legit reasoning though.

Ryce

I can guarantee that Sakurai doesn't do all the relations work, he has a team for that.
http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/20/5127488/a-day-in-the-extremely-busy-life-of-masahiro-sakurai
Not even that is all for the day's work, though. As the main man in the Smash Bros. project, he has to make presentations to the copyright holders for all the guest characters, provide direction to outsourced developers, and formulate plans for future PR and info releases.

He also no longer does all the balancing or design work for the games, the team for that gets bigger each game.
"In all previous Smash Bros. games," he explained, "I've entered in all the data for fighter skills and hitboxes by myself, and it's quite nearly that way with this game too. I've thought about leaving this work to others and I've actually tried it once or twice, but it hasn't worked out. I don't want to release an incomplete game, and I want everything to be as successful as possible, but it results in a massive amount of work for me. It's a big problem, but there are reasons for doing it this way."

One of those reasons is consistency. Since it's Sakurai coming up with ideas for character motions and fighting moves, once he completes work on damage rates and hitboxes for a character, they'll already fairly playable at that point.

"Characters' in-game balance and features are something that I'm thinking about from the start while coming up with motions," he said. "If I left that to someone else midway, that'd make things more difficult. It's faster and more accurate to just input the numbers myself than try to explain it in words to somebody."

Starting with Brawl Sakurai's role in the development of Smash has been getting smaller
That's just altogether wrong.

Yep, Jigglypuff is more likely to be very low on priority list as usual like Brawl's.

Well, Lucina and Dr. Mario are more likely to be alt costumes in early planning. Once they had more free times with alt costume so it's more likely that Dark Pit, and Koopalings could be last minute additions to a group of alternative costume characters. Then they have more free time to turn three alt costumes into clones.

I guess Sakurai didn't planned to included Dark Pit if they were running out of time but they ended up being ahead of their planned schedule. I recalled that Sakurai was being very positive about development schedule on twitter if I recalled correctly.

Yeah, It was strange that Isaac, Jill, Ray MK3, Excitebiker, Barbara, and few more were missing in action.

I am pretty sure those are Wii U only assist trophies (even though Isaac makes no sense, as his franchise is handheld only). If I recall correctly, Sakurai commented in the direct that there were version exclusive assist trophies.

Ice Climbers Smash 4 glitch? At least in the crowd cheering scripts

Occasionally doing Doc vs Villager will apparently glitch and use Ice Climber's cheers instead of Villager's

This is interesting, but to be honest, I don't really mind the ICs being gone. They fought interestingly yeah, and I liked having good ol' 4-man Ice Climbers matches, but as characters, I couldn't give any less of damn about them. Their original game is widely considered to be... mediocre at best, and them not being a part of the original 12 cast from Smash 64 only makes them more expendable. I actually don't see them ever returning to Smash.

Giving them a new moveset is something I don't see Sakurai opting to do, as I'm sure he'd prefer to keep a character in their original form without overhauling their concept due to technical limitations, and are the Ice Climbers as characters truly worth the effort? Meh. I could be wrong, so we'll see. For now, it seems like Rosalina and Luma are filling the void the ICs left behind. =/

How crazy late was Ice Climbers cut that they have a fully working crowd cheer that's in a good enough state it actually glitch plays sometimes?

Like, are we talking cut early this year? In spring? Is Ice Climbers being cut why the game didn't really come out in Summer?

Oh, speaking of (possible) Wii U only Assist Trophies, has anyone spotted the Nightmare Assist Trophy in the 3DS version? I think he's one of the only ones I haven't seen.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I am pretty sure those are Wii U only assist trophies (even though Isaac makes no sense, as his franchise is handheld only). If I recall correctly, Sakurai commented in the direct that there were version exclusive assist trophies.

I didn't catch that one so I presume that it's voice only right?

Azure J

The reason I'm calling it cuts is that they are weird blank in these images (that were posted on 4chan). One weird blank lines up with where Tharja should be presumably. I believe the one with the playable characters is missing the Ice Climbers alt and I guess there's a cut assist trophy

Yo that new Takamaru trophy is incredible. Also, fuck yeah Anna. :)

Oh, speaking of (possible) Wii U only Assist Trophies, has anyone spotted the Nightmare Assist Trophy in the 3DS version? I think he's one of the only ones I haven't seen.

If you're talking about the Kirby boss, I have gotten it.

Are we sure the Tharja trophy is gone? Has anyone actually gotten the "All Trophies Unlocked" achievement yet?

Do Boos and Lakitus appear on any of the 3DS Mario stages? Because they are listed in the stage element area of the trophy list. If not, they're filling up holes in that area.

The Boo itself is listed in the area that seems to belong to stage bosses and similar characters, with the Dark Emperor, Flying Man (more a stage assist, but whatever), and the Yellow Devil. So possible evidence that a stage boss/assist was dropped in the 3DS version, possibly Metal Face?

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/20/5127488/a-day-in-the-extremely-busy-life-of-masahiro-sakurai
Not even that is all for the day's work, though. As the main man in the Smash Bros. project, he has to make presentations to the copyright holders for all the guest characters, provide direction to outsourced developers, and formulate plans for future PR and info releases.
This is par the course for a director, they do these in conjunction with various teams.

"In all previous Smash Bros. games," he explained, "I've entered in all the data for fighter skills and hitboxes by myself, and it's quite nearly that way with this game too. I've thought about leaving this work to others and I've actually tried it once or twice, but it hasn't worked out. I don't want to release an incomplete game, and I want everything to be as successful as possible, but it results in a massive amount of work for me. It's a big problem, but there are reasons for doing it this way."

One of those reasons is consistency. Since it's Sakurai coming up with ideas for character motions and fighting moves, once he completes work on damage rates and hitboxes for a character, they'll already fairly playable at that point.

"Characters' in-game balance and features are something that I'm thinking about from the start while coming up with motions," he said. "If I left that to someone else midway, that'd make things more difficult. It's faster and more accurate to just input the numbers myself than try to explain it in words to somebody."
He inputs hitbox data, that does not equal doing all the design and balancing work by himself. Brawl had a balance team of 4 people and Smash 4 has a balance team of 12.
As for many other things I urge you to look at the credits
http://nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Brawl/credits
That's just altogether wrong.

Your understanding of the development of Smash is altogether wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom