• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiktion

Banned
I think Sakurai is more important than people give him credit for. Not just in keeping a steady core vision together, but also in handling relations with subsidiaries, third parties, and the army of musicians. He has to wrangle with Game Freak, Intelligent Systems, HAL, Namco, Capcom, Sega, and make sure that they're all happy with the way their characters are represented.

PSABR had a ton of talented technical people on board but no one with the clout to secure a decent roster, no one to establish a distinct aesthetic, no one who cared about what the menus looked like, etc. They infamously mishandled the Raiden reveal and pissed off Konami.

Copying Sakurai is easier said than done.

Only if they add panties back in.

image.php

zroid

Banned
In that case, the character shouldn't be in the game at all.

I buy this for newcomers for not for vets. People who love Ice Climbers (for example) shouldn't have to completely forfeit their favourite character because one platform can't handle it. In an ideal future, ICs will be DLC for both New 3DS and Wii U.

Wasnt a potentially Sakurai-less Brawl going to be a port of Melee with online?

It was a series with two entries at that point, Smash has now become a mega franchise and a staple for Nintendo. There is absolutely zero chance that if Sakurai refused to make another Smash after 4 that Nintendo wouldn't find another Director.

I buy this for newcomers for not for vets. People who love Ice Climbers (for example) shouldn't have to completely forfeit their favourite character because one platform can't handle it. In an ideal future, ICs will be DLC for both New 3DS and Wii U.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It's not really fair to take away a beloved character just because one system can't handle them.

PKrockin

I'll just leave this here: http://smashboards.com/threads/blas...m-tourney-locators-invitation-tourney.368643/

And not say anything else cause discussion seems to be clearly dumbed down to the max.
That's some interesting data. I heard from the commentators that some people had entered that tournament and started their matches only having played for a few hours beforehand, though, so I would really take these numbers with a grain of salt. I'll wait for more data before taking a side in this debate. I certainly saw people trying to kill with moves that definitely wouldn't and thus staling the move, or missing easy opportunities to kill with a move they didn't seem to realize would kill yet.

It must have taken a loong time to compile all that, wow.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

That would have been better than the real Brawl.

Brawl without Sakurai was never actually planned, so I think people read too much into Iwata's comment there. What he most likely meant with that was they weren't sure what they would do without Sakurai, but they would have done the best they could. There's no telling how the series would have changed, but the foundation is laid out.

I think Sakurai is more important than people give him credit for. Not just in keeping a steady core vision together, but also in handling relations with subsidiaries, third parties, and the army of musicians. He has to wrangle with Game Freak, Intelligent Systems, HAL, Namco, Capcom, Sega, and make sure that they're all happy with the way their characters are represented.

PSABR had a ton of talented technical people on board but no one with the clout to secure a decent roster, no one to establish a distinct aesthetic, no one who cared about what the menus looked like, etc. They infamously mishandled the Raiden reveal and pissed off Konami.

I think one massive issue that game had that Smash doesn't is that it was a much lower budget title. PSABR always came across more as a knock-off developed by a team that didn't seem to "get" what made Smash, well, Smash.

I don't think just any person could step in and make a great Smash game, but I also don't think he's literally the only person (or even the only person within Nintendo) that would be capable of doing it.

I'll just leave this here: http://smashboards.com/threads/blas...m-tourney-locators-invitation-tourney.368643/

And not say anything else cause discussion seems to be clearly dumbed down to the max.

Interesting...so as it turns out, it's a new game and we're all overreacting? Shocking. :p

Seriously, I applaud these guys for putting in some real effort and not being afraid to include unusual cases in the data (Bowser being really hard to kill, Duck Hunt dragging matches, Palutena not knowing how to approach a ZSS, etc.) I hope people aren't too quick to overlook this in favor of this...discussion we're currently having.

That data is good to hear. 80-90 second stocks aren't bad at all.

I'd still like to see stale moves removed or limited purely so that kills are more consistent, though. From what I've watched of Smash 4 torunaments there was way too many moves that should have killed but were just stale enough to let the opponent live at the edge of the blast zone, and that isn't fun for anyone.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

Exactly this, to say otherwise would be naive.

Many games with new director's also fail horribly. Is that a risk anyone really wants to wish upon Smash Bros?

Too bad, everyone is going to have to deal with it, Sakurai isn't staying with Smash forever. Like I said it would be likely that he would pick the next director and he would probably also consult on the project too.
You have that little faith in Nintendo?

I know, right? Nintendo bounces new directors around franchises all the time, just look at Mario and Zelda.

DaBoss

I'm just gonna add that I feel at times I should have gotten a kill and I remember those moments, where as the moments I've gotten kills at normal percentages, I probably don't remember at all. Maybe it is the human mind remembering negative things more easily.

Like personally, I'm more inclined to remember the stupid shit that happens in MK8 over the good things that have happened to me (i.e. I'm gonna remember when the bullshit green shells hit me over the times I get a star and lightning is gonna strike).

And yea, kudos to those guys for compiling the data.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
We're not friends anymore!

Both, I learned to love them once she started playing them a lot w/ me. I used to not like them either, but now I think they're great after playing w/ and against them a ton.

That said, it's a shame that they were really only good because of the chain grab, so I would have LOVED to see what sakurai would have done w/ them in smash 4 now that chain grabs are impossible.

It would be very interesting to see if we are actually getting DLC or not. Hopefully it would make more people happy with their wanted one or so. Right now it might be safe to think DLC wouldn't happens so no one get disappointed.

If people kept expecting DLC then they would prolong their rages and we will probably have to deal with that in the future.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. There's no reason why both versions shouldn't have both characters unless on version simply can't handle them, in which case they should be in the version that can.

Yeah, I could be okay with that.

I meant Duck being 3DS exclusive and Ice being Wii U Exclusive is just weird way you could go with rather than saying, "I want Ice Climbers being Wii U exclusive."

One thing I'm sure of: Sakurai does questionable/bad stuff? yep. But for every questionable/bad thing done, there are 10 good things also done. As with anything, the bad is always waaay overblown, overshadowing the good things.

People wanting Sakurai to go would regret it as soon as Smash was done by someone else. If anything, people should asking Sakurai to be more open to the voices of the community when designing the games, instead of simply asking him to go..

Mine01

Just got a demo code from a kind gaffer, planned to sleep 1 hour before i go to work, but I had to smash.

The demo is pretty lite (expected) but oh my god... i love mario, i've always liked him on smash, but here... it just feels right.

It's just me or is mario fair easier to meteor here than on brawl?.

georly

If people kept expecting DLC then they would prolong their rages and we will probably have to deal with that in the future.

I'm not counting on any DLC. Roster is final, and I'm happy about characters, how they feel, and everything. I sorely miss ice climbers, but I don't think there's any hope for them in smash 4. I'll burst into tears if they come out, though :) I do EXPECT them in smash 5, though, or i'll be mad!

So someone on Reddit said that your in-game coins won't carry over from the demo in the NA version but they did in the JP version.

Is that shit true? I'm sittin' on like 9000 coins thinking I'd be able to use them in the full game...

I read that and basically knew it was Iwata basically guilt tripping Sakurai into making Brawl. It's akin to if Kojima wanted to stop making MGS and Konami was like "Well, we did have this idea for a more action based MGS. Less sneaking, less politics..."

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I could be okay with that.

I meant Duck being 3DS exclusive and Ice being Wii U Exclusive is just weird way you could go with rather than saying, "I want Ice Climbers being Wii U exclusive."

In my defense I agree with Beelzebufo here first and foremost, the post you responded to before was a response to a previous discussion about how people didn't like the idea of each version have an exclusive character using DHD and Ice Climbers as examples.

I guess I just should have quoted before.

Zubz

Banned
Wow, lots of interesting stuff here.

--The file is mirrored. If you pay attention to the character trophy list, going in the correct mirrored order, left to right, top to bottom, the hole in the character trophy list is exactly where the Ice Climbers should be according to Melee and Brawl's internal character ordering.
--As mentioned, Tharja is conspicuously missing. ESRB probably told them to remove it.
--There are some trophies from disparate series that are mixed in with other series--these are probably holes in the series list that were later filled in by others. Like Dunban is where there should be a Sonic character.
--The first listed non-playable Pokemon trophies are Pokemon Trainer, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Mewtwo, and Pichu, in that order.
--The Assist section is funky. There is a conspicuous hole between the Sablé Prince and Riki. Barbara Bat, a ReDead, Doc Louis, a 3D Excitebiker, and the Ice Climbers (!) are listed in the Assist Trophy section.

Interesting stuff.

Heh. Weird. Sucks about the Ice Climbers leaving a hole in the character trophies... And our hearts. Also sucks about Tharja, since she was already a trophy. I wonder if they'll do a Trophy DLC pack; would they still need to bump up the rating due to that single, solitary butt?

I'm also surprised Mewtwo's not the first non-playable Pokemon Trophy, seeing how he has the most chance to come back. Maybe Pokemon Trainer was planned early on as well? And I'm hoping all those Assist Trophies barring the obvious Ice Climbers can get it, too; Barbara had a great AOE, Redeads were the only "Random Enemy from a Crate" that did anything useful back in Melee (Well, I saw a Like-Like work once), Excitebike's cool (The sprites are back, though, right?), and, of course, anything that gets me more Doc Louis is a good idea in my book.

So someone on Reddit said that your in-game coins won't carry over from the demo in the NA version but they did in the JP version.

Is that shit true? I'm sittin' on like 9000 coins thinking I'd be able to use them in the full game...

I heard only 500 coins carried over in the Japanese version.

It would be very interesting to see if we are actually getting DLC or not. Hopefully it would make more people happy with their wanted one or so. Right now it might be safe to think DLC wouldn't happens so no one get disappointed.

I think DLC is probably going to happen (for a multitude of reasons), but I'm not going to be too upset if it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom