• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperSah

Banned
Just got a demo code from a kind gaffer, planned to sleep 1 hour before i go to work, but I had to smash.

The demo is pretty lite (expected) but oh my god... i love mario, i've always liked him on smash, but here... it just feels right.

It's just me or is mario fair easier to meteor here than on brawl?.

Yes, it sure is.

So satisfying.

Revven

I'll just leave this here: http://smashboards.com/threads/blas...m-tourney-locators-invitation-tourney.368643/

And not say anything else cause discussion seems to be clearly dumbed down to the max.

The data itself is interesting but I would still suggest a 2 stock rule set just because Smash matches on average do take longer than other fighting games and if the community wants to expand even more, the best idea is to start with 2 stocks -- especially because of For Glory so new players from that online mode can transfer over easily and smoothly to the tournament scene.

And, an additional reason is that should matches somehow become faster it's much easier to go up in the number of stocks than down in the number of stocks if games are taking too long. People are less willing to abandon a higher number of stocks because it's perceived as negative vs being positive. If we start with 2 stocks and matches become faster, then it's much easier to raise the stock count by comparison as it would be perceived as a positive change than a negative one.

Regardless, I hope we see a TOs experiment with both rule sets instead of blindly sticking to one. It's a new game, there's no reason to force the previous games' rules on it so early. We have a few months to figure things out.

georly

My 3DS is out for repairs, so i'm so upset i won't be able to use a demo code on my 3DS :( I'd love a 'perma demo' on there, vs the one w/ 30 tries :( :( :(

Choomp

Banned
Anyone talked about this yet
BxvLb5VIUAAfSnR.png:large

Damn.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
A hole, huh. Wonder if Dark Pit was originally an AT.

Well, his spot is pretty weird since he was along with newcomers, rather than grouping with Dr. Mario and Lucina. I wonder if they could have a plan for Dark Pit being full-fledged character but they ran out of time and turn him into a clone.

Fiktion

Banned
Exactly this, to say otherwise would be naive.

Another point is that unlike most other Nintendo franchises, and certainly every other Nintendo tent pole, Smash is not associated with any particular developer. Sakurai is the franchise.

Maybe they can groom Namco to be that team now, it seems like an ideal fit, but a Smash without Sakurai could potentially have zero people who have worked on the previous games.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That data is good to hear. 80-90 second stocks aren't bad at all.

I'd still like to see stale moves removed or limited purely so that kills are more consistent, though. From what I've watched of Smash 4 torunaments there was way too many moves that should have killed but were just stale enough to let the opponent live at the edge of the blast zone, and that isn't fun for anyone.
Thats pretty fun to me, theres nothing like narrowly avoiding death, I think in smash 64 the crowd would gasp everytime stales would happen

DaBoss

Yea, it matching the rules of For Glory (outside of FD only) would make it much more welcoming.
Thats pretty fun to me, theres nothing like narrowly avoiding death, I think in smash 64 the crowd would gasp everytime stales would happen
That's not what stale means.

emb

One thing I'm sure of: Sakurai does questionable/bad stuff? yep. But for every questionable/bad thing done, there are 10 good things also done. As with anything, the bad is always waaay overblown, overshadowing the good things.

People wanting Sakurai to go would regret it as soon as Smash was done by someone else. If anything, people should asking Sakurai to be more open to the voices of the community when designing the games, instead of simply asking him to go..
This seems pretty on point. Some of the decisions he makes and the reasoning behind them are frustrating, but I don't think we'd really be much better off without him.

Being more open to the vocal community would be nice, but listening to feedback can be a dangerous thing too. A lot of people want different things.
So someone on Reddit said that your in-game coins won't carry over from the demo in the NA version but they did in the JP version.

Is that shit true? I'm sittin' on like 9000 coins thinking I'd be able to use them in the full game...
From what I heard, you could only transfer 500 anyway. So even if it doesn't work at all, no big loss.

georly

What happened to your 3ds?

It was defective from the moment I got it, but the start button didn't 'pop' back up (but would still work if you pressed it hard enough), and the border around the bottom screen was warped (bad plastic print). As soon as they announced gold zelda 3DS refurb sales on NOA website, I decided to give them a call (because this meant they likely had replacement parts for a gold zelda 3DS also). I sent it out nearly a month ago, and they're JUST now shipping it back today :/

Mostly cosmetic/annoying stuff, but I want a 'perfect' 3ds!

Just got a demo code from a kind gaffer, planned to sleep 1 hour before i go to work, but I had to smash.

The demo is pretty lite (expected) but oh my god... i love mario, i've always liked him on smash, but here... it just feels right.

It's just me or is mario fair easier to meteor here than on brawl?.

He meteors feels the same as Brawl to me.

It was defective from the moment I got it, but the start button didn't 'pop' back up (but would still work if you pressed it hard enough), and the border around the bottom screen was warped (bad plastic print). As soon as they announced gold zelda 3DS refurb sales on NOA website, I decided to give them a call (because this meant they likely had replacement parts for a gold zelda 3DS also). I sent it out nearly a month ago, and they're JUST now shipping it back today :/

Mostly cosmetic/annoying stuff, but I want a 'perfect' 3ds!

Don't blame you for wanting that fixed.

Moonlight

Banned
I'd honestly prefer three stocks in the long-run. Less stocks mean less risks, ultimately, and few people willing to take a huge gamble for a huge reward since there's no leeway. That said, while the game's competitive scene is still stabilizing, probably best for everyone that we just stick to two stocks. When people start finding those reliable kill set-ups and gimps, we could move it up to 3 stocks then. Two stocks just seems... safer, for now.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Being more open to the vocal community would be nice, but listening to feedback can be a dangerous thing too. A lot of people want different things.

I think this would be nice, a lot of the more heavily requested things are pretty reasonable. Like fixing the air dodge, even if he feels like the Melee air dodge is too newcomer-unfriendly, just limiting the current one to once per time in the air would be fine.

emb

I think this would be nice, a lot of the more heavily requested things are pretty reasonable. Like fixing the air dodge, even if he feels like the Melee air dodge is too newcomer-unfriendly, just limiting the current one to once per time in the air would be fine.
That would be amazing. I don't need Melee air dodge, but if this game had just a one use air dodge, it would already be so much better.

I think if he looked at the community as a whole, some things could probably be addressed and most everyone would be happier.

Excitebike's cool (The sprites are back, though, right?)
They are not, actually, which is odd. They're one of the eight Assists from Brawl that are missing. Of these eight, only Resetti, Barbara, and the Excitebiker still have trophies. Isaac and Ray MK.III's disappearance is really, really odd.

Another fun thing to note--there are only two non-item/assist/character Metroid trophies. Two. No wonder Ridley's missing.

Well, his spot is pretty weird since he was along with newcomers, rather than grouping with Dr. Mario and Lucina. I wonder if they could have a plan for Dark Pit being full-fledged character but they ran out of time and turn him into a clone.
Dark Pit's location is rather curious, listed after every other character including the new third party characters. That suggests the opposite from your idea to me--that he was added very late to the game, later than even Lucina and Dr. Mario.

Funnily enough, Jigglypuff is still listed really late in the character order like she was in Brawl.

It would be very interesting to see if we are actually getting DLC or not. Hopefully it would make more people happy with their wanted one or so. Right now it might be safe to think DLC wouldn't happens so no one get disappointed.

If people kept expecting DLC then they would prolong their rages and we will probably have to deal with that in the future.

Yeah, I could be okay with that.

I meant Duck being 3DS exclusive and Ice being Wii U Exclusive is just weird way you could go with rather than saying, "I want Ice Climbers being Wii U exclusive."
I said that Duck Hunt being 3DS exclusive is the last thing I'd want to happen :p

I think Sakurai is more important than people give him credit for. Not just in keeping a steady core vision together, but also in handling relations with subsidiaries, third parties, and the army of musicians. He has to wrangle with Game Freak, Intelligent Systems, HAL, Namco, Capcom, Sega, and make sure that they're all happy with the way their characters are represented.

PSABR had a ton of talented technical people on board but no one with the clout to secure a decent roster, no one to establish a distinct aesthetic, no one who cared about what the menus looked like, etc. They infamously mishandled the Raiden reveal and pissed off Konami.

Copying Sakurai is easier said than done.

I can guarantee that Sakurai doesn't do all the relations work, he has a team for that. He also no longer does all the balancing or design work for the games, the team for that gets bigger each game. Starting with Brawl Sakurai's role in the development of Smash has been getting smaller and he's likely doing that so that everything will be fine when he does ditch the series. PSABR is not even comparable to Smash in anyway, that was a new team for a new IP. Smash is a game that has a framework set up and Nintendo has working relationships with third parties (and obviously their own developers) so any new Directors would have stuff to work from. Smash is no longer Sakurai designing everything and then having the team make it, it has become a full team effort just like any other video game.

Sakurai leaving the Smash series is not the end of the world and it is something that everyone should be prepared for because it will happen and the series will continue. Knowing Sakurai's connection to the series Nintendo will likely have him pick the next director and he might even consult on future titles.

Richie

They are not, actually, which is odd. They're one of the eight Assists from Brawl that are missing. Of these eight, only Resetti, Barbara, and the Excitebiker still have trophies. Isaac and Ray MK.III's disappearance is really, really odd.

Another fun thing to note--there are only two non-item/assist/character Metroid trophies. Two. No wonder Ridley's missing.

So odd that the game has more trophies than Brawl, and yet...two. You'd think assets from Metroid Prime Hunters would have come in handy to flesh out the series' trophy representation.

Sad at those assist trophies' departure, with any luck they'll be on the Wii U, especially my man Resetti, he was hilarious.

Zubz

Banned
So odd that the game has more trophies than Brawl, and yet...two. You'd think assets from Metroid Prime Hunters would have come in handy to flesh out the series' trophy representation.

Sad at those assist trophies' departure, with any luck they'll be on the Wii U, especially my man Resetti, he was hilarious.

Ditto. Same for hoping there's more Metroid trophies in the Wii U version; I love Metroid, and I'm still not sure if we're going to see either of the alleged "3D and 2D Metroid games" they said were in the works awhile back.

SuperSah

Banned
Question:

How does the replay channel work? I been here conflictions about what can be recorded and for how long.

Any idea and can I take the video elsewhere?

JoeInky

I just killed a villager with a less than half charged, non-sweetspotted fsmash at 7%.

It did 54% damage and KO'd off of the opposite side of the stage.

It probably had something to do with the fact that the villager was using an fsmash at the same time and the bat hit her AND reflected the bowling ball, probably.

I saved the replay but I don't think there's any way we can share them is there? Would have been cool if they'd done something like Mario Kart 8 where you can upload clips to youtube, maybe in the WiiU version?

Richie

Ditto. Same for hoping there's more Metroid trophies in the Wii U version; I love Metroid, and I'm still not sure if we're going to see either of the alleged "3D and 2D Metroid games" they said were in the works awhile back.

Miyamoto himself expressed interest in continuing the series (and specifically on the Wii U) so I wouldn't be too worried. I think a teaser at next E3 is possible, even. On Smash, not only Other M but Metroid Prime 3 came out since last Smash was in production, not counting the Trilogy, so there's really no excuse not to go nuts with Metroid trophies on the U. I'm hoping for a second Metroid stage on the U too, it's had two brand new stages in every installment since Melee. Preferably one Prime based.

And that Destiny review is the best damn thing I've seen all day, Fiktion thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom